Start by marking “The Sewing Book” as Want to Read:
The Sewing Book

The Sewing Book

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  19 reviews
This is the only sewing book you'll ever need. Every tool and every technique you require for making your own home furnishings or clothing is closely and sharply photographed, carefully annotated, and clearly explained.
The Tools section begins with the basic toolkit, opening up into everything you could possibly need a every type of cutting tool and machine foot is shown.
Published April 1st 2009 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Sewing Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sewing Book

Margie
Good, solid reference. Doesn't deviate too far into specialized techniques, but far enough that the beginner sewer will find lots of goodies (Hong Kong finishes, welt pockets, Canadian smocking, etc.). The pictures are helpful, but could have been vastly improved by using higher contrast fabric and contrasting threads.
Amy Coffman
This book explained everything I've Googled in the past week, and it did it BETTER. Definitely a keeper.
Sam
Although this is a thoroughly comprehensive guide to all things sewing related complete with step by step instructions for every technique possible I did find it a little cold and impersonal and very much aimed at the serious sewing market rather than at the hobby market. I found the instructions clear but confusing on occasion as many of the terms used and the occasions when certain techniques are and aren't used weren't always explained. The section on mending was the most useful and the most ...more
Holly
Good overview of all the basics for sewing clothes and some furnishings, plus a couple of projects to test out the techniques in the book, but I would've preferred slightly more detailed tutorials for the more difficult techniques.
Kelly
Sewing book for all! Don't be intimidated by the size or range of techniques in this book, just work you way through and you will find that it has some thing for everyone.I found this book gave me great ideas for projects,as i am just a novice at sewing but this book really sparked my imagination! I agree it is more like a textbook but if you really want to learn to sew well and expand your skills in sewing, i would recommend this book.The photos could have been a better in contrasting colors an ...more
Learnin Curve
Fantastic reference book, would be a 5 star but lost a point for the photographs with pink thread on pink fabric which does get some sot of special "least helpful" award.
lk
May 03, 2014 lk added it
Shelves: sewing
good ref book
Alicia
Jan 30, 2013 Alicia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
As someone just learning how to sew, this book is a great reference to have on your shelf. It's basically a picture tutorial of and I found it great to learn some of the basics and to have as a reference in the future.

I found the section regarding fabrics the most useful and since I haven't gotten to patterns, yet, I cannot review that portion but it seems helpful.
Cara
I didn't have time to use this book while I had it checked out from the library, but it seems like the Bible of sewing! Lots of really detailed, step-by-step how-to's. I almost want to buy this book just to have as reference for whenever I do sew!
Siti Jumari
I'm a novice in sewing and I looooove this book. It displays clearly the many techniques in every aspect. It really motivates me to try them out and be more confident and adventurous in my sewing :) the photos and explanations are clear too.
K
Great reference guide for a newbie. Clear explanations of technical terms and techniques. My friend lent this to me as she had bought this when she was teaching herself to sew.
Louise
Great all-around sewing resource. I may have turned it in to the library super late because I just couldn't let it go. This is going on my to-buy list.
Missy
Hoping to look at some techniques in here and continue my search for the right sewing book to invest in for keeps. Ideas welcome!
Christy
Great. Many many stitches. But it had to go back to the library, unfortunately. Not the kind of thing you ever finish reading.
Meredith
comprehensive encyclopedia, a little more than i needed as a beginner, though a few projects are for beginners.
Kirsty Johnson
Good book, as they say does what it says on the tin. Simple and easy to understand, learnt a lot from it.
Stephanie R
Excellent, detailed instructions on seam finishes, buttons, etc. Great addition to any sewer's library.
T-mae Salle
So in love with this book <3 <3 <3 sewing and dressmaking dream come true.
Debby Johnson
this book is wonderful for any sewer
Afreen Lalkhani
Afreen Lalkhani marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Carol Patrício
Carol Patrício marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Zoe
Zoe added it
Jul 28, 2015
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Priyanka
Priyanka marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Princess RoRi
Princess RoRi marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
  • The Dressmaker's Technique Bible: A Complete Guide to Fashion Sewing
  • The Sewing Bible: A Modern Manual of Practical and Decorative Sewing Techniques
  • The Colette Sewing Handbook: Inspired Styles and Classic Techniques for the New Seamstress
  • How to Use, Adapt, and Design Sewing Patterns
  • Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • Vogue Sewing: Revised and Updated
  • I Love Patchwork
  • The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting
  • Sew Retro: 25 Vintage-Inspired Projects for the Modern Girl & A Stylish History of the Sewing Revolution
  • New Complete Guide to Sewing
  • The Party Dress Book: How to Sew the Best Dress in the Room
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • Gertie’s New Book for Better Sewing: A Modern Guide to Couture-Style Sewing Using Basic Vintage Techniques
  • How to Make Sewing Patterns
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Sew Everything Workshop
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts: Basic Techniques for Sewing, Applique, Embroidery, Quilting, Dyeing, and Printing, plus 150 Inspired Projects from A to Z
Name All the Animals: A Memoir Sew Step by Step Dressmaking Exposed: The Victorian Nude Dressmaking.