Start by marking “The Sewing Book” as Want to Read:
The Sewing Book

The Sewing Book

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  218 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
This is the only sewing book you'll ever need. Every tool and every technique you require for making your own home furnishings or clothing is closely and sharply photographed, carefully annotated, and clearly explained.
The Tools section begins with the basic toolkit, opening up into everything you could possibly need every type of cutting tool and machine foot is shown. T
Published April 1st 2009 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published February 1st 2009)

Margie
Sep 10, 2010 Margie rated it liked it
Shelves: costume
Good, solid reference. Doesn't deviate too far into specialized techniques, but far enough that the beginner sewer will find lots of goodies (Hong Kong finishes, welt pockets, Canadian smocking, etc.). The pictures are helpful, but could have been vastly improved by using higher contrast fabric and contrasting threads.
Amy Coffman
Jan 08, 2014 Amy Coffman rated it it was amazing
This book explained everything I've Googled in the past week, and it did it BETTER. Definitely a keeper.
Sam
Apr 10, 2012 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home, reference
Although this is a thoroughly comprehensive guide to all things sewing related complete with step by step instructions for every technique possible I did find it a little cold and impersonal and very much aimed at the serious sewing market rather than at the hobby market. I found the instructions clear but confusing on occasion as many of the terms used and the occasions when certain techniques are and aren't used weren't always explained. The section on mending was the most useful and the most ...more
Holly
Apr 04, 2014 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview of all the basics for sewing clothes and some furnishings, plus a couple of projects to test out the techniques in the book, but I would've preferred slightly more detailed tutorials for the more difficult techniques.
Kelly
Dec 22, 2012 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Sewing book for all! Don't be intimidated by the size or range of techniques in this book, just work you way through and you will find that it has some thing for everyone.I found this book gave me great ideas for projects,as i am just a novice at sewing but this book really sparked my imagination! I agree it is more like a textbook but if you really want to learn to sew well and expand your skills in sewing, i would recommend this book.The photos could have been a better in contrasting colors an ...more
Learnin Curve
Jan 25, 2014 Learnin Curve rated it really liked it
Fantastic reference book, would be a 5 star but lost a point for the photographs with pink thread on pink fabric which does get some sot of special "least helpful" award.
Vicki
May 18, 2016 Vicki rated it it was amazing
Invaluable resource as a self-taught sewer.
lk
May 03, 2014 lk added it
Shelves: sewing
good ref book
Heidi
Jan 28, 2016 Heidi rated it it was ok
This book is basically a dictionary of sewing techniques with a few projects at the end. It describes the "proper" way to do things. It was not what I was looking for; I felt it was lacking in describing when you might want to choose one technique over another as well as why a garment might be designed a certain way. A useful reference, but not one to really teach me how to sew garments.
Alicia
Jan 30, 2013 Alicia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
As someone just learning how to sew, this book is a great reference to have on your shelf. It's basically a picture tutorial of and I found it great to learn some of the basics and to have as a reference in the future.

I found the section regarding fabrics the most useful and since I haven't gotten to patterns, yet, I cannot review that portion but it seems helpful.
Cara
Apr 29, 2009 Cara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: skimmed-through
I didn't have time to use this book while I had it checked out from the library, but it seems like the Bible of sewing! Lots of really detailed, step-by-step how-to's. I almost want to buy this book just to have as reference for whenever I do sew!
Siti Jumari
Sep 18, 2013 Siti Jumari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a novice in sewing and I looooove this book. It displays clearly the many techniques in every aspect. It really motivates me to try them out and be more confident and adventurous in my sewing :) the photos and explanations are clear too.
K
Great reference guide for a newbie. Clear explanations of technical terms and techniques. My friend lent this to me as she had bought this when she was teaching herself to sew.
Louise
Mar 04, 2013 Louise rated it it was amazing
Great all-around sewing resource. I may have turned it in to the library super late because I just couldn't let it go. This is going on my to-buy list.
Missy
Oct 04, 2011 Missy rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts-and-arts
Hoping to look at some techniques in here and continue my search for the right sewing book to invest in for keeps. Ideas welcome!
Christy
Dec 12, 2009 Christy rated it really liked it
Great. Many many stitches. But it had to go back to the library, unfortunately. Not the kind of thing you ever finish reading.
Meredith
Feb 21, 2011 Meredith rated it liked it
Shelves: sewing-crafts
comprehensive encyclopedia, a little more than i needed as a beginner, though a few projects are for beginners.
Kirsty Johnson
Aug 20, 2013 Kirsty Johnson rated it it was amazing
Good book, as they say does what it says on the tin. Simple and easy to understand, learnt a lot from it.
Stephanie R
Mar 17, 2013 Stephanie R rated it it was amazing
Excellent, detailed instructions on seam finishes, buttons, etc. Great addition to any sewer's library.
T-mae Salle
Jun 27, 2013 T-mae Salle rated it it was amazing
So in love with this book <3 <3 <3 sewing and dressmaking dream come true.
Debby Johnson
this book is wonderful for any sewer
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Lois
Lois rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Mustafa Nageh
Mustafa Nageh marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Melody
Melody added it
Jul 30, 2016
Giulia
Giulia rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Moh
Moh marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Jane Marsden
Jane Marsden marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Tujuh Saudara
Tujuh Saudara marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
  • The Dressmaker's Technique Bible: A Complete Guide to Fashion Sewing
  • The Sewing Bible: A Modern Manual of Practical and Decorative Sewing Techniques
  • How to Use, Adapt, and Design Sewing Patterns
  • The Colette Sewing Handbook: Inspired Styles and Classic Techniques for the New Seamstress
  • Claire Shaeffer's Fabric Sewing Guide
  • The Complete Photo Guide to Perfect Fitting
  • I Love Patchwork
  • Vogue Sewing: Revised and Updated
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • New Complete Guide to Sewing
  • The Party Dress Book: How to Sew the Best Dress in the Room
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • The Dressmaker's Handbook of Couture Sewing Techniques: Essential Step-by-Step Techniques for Professional Results
  • How to Make Sewing Patterns
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Chic & Simple Sewing: Skirts, Dresses, Tops, and Jackets for the Modern Seamstress
  • PatternReview.com 1,000 Clever Sewing Shortcuts and Tips: Top-Rated Favorites from Sewing Fans and Master Teachers