Start by marking “Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)

Silent Blade (Kinsmen #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  4,077 ratings  ·  306 reviews
Old hatreds die hard. Old love dies harder.

On Meli Galdes' home planet, the struggle for power is a bloody, full-contact sport--in business and on the battlefield. For years her lethal skills have been a valuable asset in advancing her family's interests. She's more than earned her right to retire, but her kinsmen have one last favor to ask.

Kill the man who ruined her life...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Silent Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Blade

Jessica (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So after I finished reading Burn for Me, the first book in Ilona Andrews’ new and AMAZING Hidden Legacy series, I got to talking with another Ilona fan who had been told that the world-building in Burn for Me was similar to the worlds in the Kinsmen series and the novella, Of Swine and Roses.

And I was like, “Huh. I can see that.” But it’d been years since my early OMG-I-LOVE-Ilona binge, so I decided a reread was in order.

And here we are.

Some time in the indeterminate fut...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
My friend was so right. This story definitely had shades of Harlequin Presents, with a little Romeo and Juliet thrown in--the feuding families, not the starcrossed lovers.

Celino is a butthead. A sexy one, but a butthead all the same. He could not be more of an arrogant, Harlequin Presents-type hero.

Meli, well she's definitely got more brass than the usual heroine in that line. And she's completely badass. I have to admit, I would have liked it better if she almost tried to kill him before they g...more
oliviasbooks
It started so promising, so very promising, tickling my appetite for graceful, ruthless assassins, outer space, old dynasties, artificially enhanced bodies and a bit of dangeous romance on the side.

But soon, so very soon, the excellent premise got thoroughly drenched in stickily sweet romance of the manly-he-expertly-claims-what-is-his kind as he invested some expendable money and did circus tricks with his muscular tongue and other body extensions, whereas the new-planet-scenery simply served a...more
new_user
Cool characters, tone, world. I don't know why they don't write in this world. I would take this futuristic mafia/assassin/old flame/revenge story to magical "detectives" any day. The ene-ribbon fighting was very cool and unique. Couldn't help remembering some anime I've seen. :D
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
My first thought upon finishing was "Wow, that was damn good!".

Silent Blade may fall into the romance category but it is far from soppy. It's futuristic revenge against a man who devastated a young girl and her family in the name of his "freedom".

For a short story the characters were remarkably complex and well fleshed out. The power plays and the tippings of the balance of power between Celino and Meli were brilliantly done. In a futuristic world of mafia-style families and assassinations galo...more
Mimi Smith
4 stars

A very, very, very short book(a short story really), but a good one nonetheless.

This is the first book set in a world where microchips give people special powers....

The World

"In the course of space colonization, there arose a need for humans with enhanced abilities. Men and women who could survive harsh conditions, who were superb warriors, gifted hunters, and brilliant scientists.

Some enhancements were technological in nature: an array of implants with various functions. Their effect e
Angie
I have been going through another bout of Kate & Curran withdrawals lately. Really, they're simply Ilona Andrews withdrawals because I just am ten different ways in love with the way they write a world. I know going in to expect to be amazed, delighted, and--above all and thank the high heavens--entertained. Whether its shapeshifters and magic waves, overlapping dimensions and backwoods feuds, or futuristic assassins and genetically enhanced mafiosi--it is guaranteed to get my bibliophilic h...more
Brandi
I paraphrase the whole thing so don't read it if you don't want to be a little spoiled. I can't even wrap my mind around the glowing reviews this got. The magic I expect from them is not present at all. This was just horrible.

What a let down! I expect a whole lot better from these two, and this book was not only a let down from a known-to-be-good "author", but it was a let down in the world of books as well. If that made any sense.

This is a very short read, and I think I had it finished in abo...more
Lexie
Its honestly not an exaggeration when I say that this story made me tear up. Look I have read a lot of romance novels (and I do mean a lot) in my life. Everything from early Harlequin romances to yaoi and I can name on my one hand the amount of books that have made me so happy that HEA's exist in romances. Silent Blade made the list.

Meli and Celino were both defined and restrained by who their families were. What it meant to be kin, the sacrifices you had to make to keep the family strong. I'm a...more
Holly
In the midst of the technologically and biologically advanced kinsmen of her home planet, Meli Galdes is a melder. Melders are the rare result of a mutation that in Meli’s case permits her to operate an energy ribbon through a bracelet on her wrist, severing anything in its path. For years, Meli’s covertly filled the role of family assassin, killing whoever threatens the Galdes’ survival. But Meli’s tired of killing, and following her latest target, Meli’s promised retirement will begin. That is...more
Ivie Hill
I have absolutely no idea how i've managed to miss this book untill now knowing full well that i am a fan of Ilona and Gordon Andrews. And like all of their work this was fabulous.

I love the earthy, strong female characters they produce and the incredible ingenuity of their world building. This was a shorter story but amazing from start to finish.

In a futuristic off planet world a young woman sets off to avenge her once broken heart by taking a contract to kill her ex flame.

Genius, very well wr...more
DarkHeart "Vehngeance"
A short, sweet and satisfying story. A departure from their usual tales both in setting (sci-fi) and the smexiness level (it took four Kate books to accomplish the action these two got down to in about 20 pages!). Likable characters and an entertaining, fast-paced story - a good read!
Kathryn Redman
Meli is an assassin for her family but she now longs for retirement. Her family arranges for one last mission to kill the man who rejected her 18 years before. Celino decided not to go through the arranged marriage to Meli and would rather become a business tycoon and gain his freedom.

Meli believes this last job is perfect revenge, she would use him and make him love her before destroying him. The last hing she expected was for her heart to fall inlove yet again to this man and for him to repon...more
The Flooze
I enjoyed the world: the idea of implants to enhance and improve stamina, fighting ability, etc; the old Italian/mafioso feel of the society; the overall futuristic theme grounded by the characters' connection to more earthy and provincial interests.

Unfortunately, I didn't care one jot about Meli or Corvino. Both lacked some indefinable oomph necessary to make them real. I had no compassion for Meli and did not see Corvino's appeal--apart from the first few days they spent together, I did not be...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

I was intrigued to read this book by my favorite writing duo and find that they are as talented in the futuristic sci-fi arena as they are in the PNR/UF. I didn't have very high expectations because I'm often disappointed by short stories. This one did not disappoint. A nice mix of super heroine action, introspection, romance. Very good.

Melindeeloo
Assassin Meli, is given the chance to even the score when the man who cause her to be ostracized from Kinsmen society is presented to her as her final target.

I very rarely reread, since there's always something new and shiny calling my name, but after reading - the new and shiny - Silver Shark which has a brief cameo with the leads here, I was inspired to do a reread. (Even though it meant repurchasing the story, since my old version is DRM'd to a computer I no longer own). Still it was well wor...more
Chachic
Originally posted here.

I didn't even know that there was a novella by Ilona Andrews until I saw Angie of Angieville's review. Thanks for the heads up, Angie! Silent Blade is a romantic science fiction story which can be purchased in e-book format from Samhain. Strong female protagonist determined to get her revenge on the man who ruined her life? I knew I was in for a treat.

This is the first time that I've ever read romantic science fiction and it looks like it won't be the last. The husband an...more
Kathleen
3.5 stars for this short, enjoyable, explicit romance. Tropes include revenge, abandonment, and insta-love. It's cloaked as science fiction, but it's ROMANCE. As such, it's just fine, but I much prefer Andrews' straight-up urban fantasies. It's not that I dislike romance -- sometimes that's exactly what I want (but not from Team Andrews).

This is book 1 of the Kinsmen series. Book 2 is out, too. My main problem with Silent Blade is the insta-love trope. It didn't work for me, so then the sex di...more
Janice (Janicu)

Despite the teetering TBR pile, I went ahead and bought Ilona Andrews' latest (a short story from Samhain) as soon as I thought I'd made a wee dent in my reading. The price is $2.50 at the Samhain website but a helpful commenter (_ocelott_ from genrereviews) let me know it was cheaper at Books on Board. As of this review, the price there is $1.74, and its $2.00 at Amazon.

This is a short story in a world that isn't the same as that of the Kate Daniels serie...more
Patricia BookExhibitionism

One of the only books were I can actually forgive the hero for being an asshole in the past, because he obviously isn't anymore. I still hold a little grudge, but I usually don't even come close to forgiving anything, so that's pretty good, right?

(I guess I like it because she doesn't just say: "Ah, okay. Come, let's have sex." It's not that easy and that's what I appreciate about Silent Blade. The heroine doesn't act as if everything's forgiven because he now regrets what he's done back then an...more
Karen
If you are a fan of Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels or The Edge series, you'll get a kick out of this one. It was a little shocking to read how bright & lush this world is. You'll know what I mean if you've read the other series by Andrews. Dark, gloomy and apocalyptic are the norm. Although there are flowers and yummy pastries, have no fear, you still get the authors trademark gritty writing style. I was stunned at how much emotion and world building was packed into this tiny book. There was als...more
Liv
Loved it!

As with all short stories, it's usually very hard to relay a story complete with world-building, character development and a full plot due to the constraint of length. However, I thought Ilona and Gordon had done very well with this short number. I loved the fact that this was more or less a science fiction but it also had a strong element of romance thrown in as well.

The heroine, Meli, was engaged to Celino when she was only merely 10 years old as a political maneuver used by her fami...more
Jdanielle
Why I liked this book.

First its Ilona Andrews so you know its going to be ridiculously well written. Also in true Ilona tradition, the main character is a bad ass heroine (which is, and lets be honest, everyone's favorite kind) who makes the best out of a bad situation (by becoming bad ass), gets revenge and then love!

Fricking Trifecta!!

Honestly, this book made me wish I had a time traveling machine, like the one from the movie Back to the Future not The Time Machine (cause if your gonna trave...more
Jill
Wow, this was à really great read. It amazes me how effortlessly this book manages to do what most other short stories can't. This story wasn't rushed, it didn't feel incomplete, the characters didn't feel empty. I loved every bit of this book. It was different, the world was awesome. I want more,more I tells ya!

Marlene
Originally published at Sci-Fi Romance Quarterly

Revenge is a dish best served hot and with a side of passion cones.

Although the revenge that Meli Galdes plans and the revenge she actually gets are two different things.

Blame it on those passion cones, which are a dessert in the province of Dahlia on this futuristic world that Ilona Andrews has created for her Kinsmen series.

The future is a dangerous place. As envisioned in this series, the ability to survive interplanetary journeys and planet col...more
Marsha
Dec 02, 2011 Marsha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults
I've said on many occasions that space travel/galactic adventure books are not my forte. When I saw the summary for Silent Blade, I did not put it in my "to read" file because I figured I would not care for it. I can be such an idiot sometimes (smile). I always love anything written by the husband and wife team Ilona Andrews and "Silent Blade" is not exception.

This is a story about broken hearts and how they can mend in time. Imelda Galdes was engaged at the age of ten to the wealthy Celino Carv...more
Maria
Another amazing read by Ilona Andrews! “Silent Blade” is a novella and the story takes place in another world. In this futuristic world, families are something like mafia and it’s important to have great alliances. Meli is an assassin and she wants to finally quit her job but she has to do one last job for her family and this job is the hardest of all. She has to kill the man who broke her heart and ruin her family many years ago. Nothing difficult to kill your enemy, right? But Celino is larger...more
Lauren
I love Ilona Andrews - both the Kate Daniels series and the Edge series. For that reason I always make it a point to read any anthology with their short stories. This series/short story was not at the usual high level I expect from their published work. There are a few editorial issues, but none so bad that it's unreadable and I realize the e-pub works don't get the same publishing and care as the others.

Some Spoilers here possibly:
The characters are okay. For an assassin Meli is pretty boring....more
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
I just loved this tale of revenge and redemption with its sci-fi feel and futuristic backdrop! Meli was just kicka$$ and totally stole the show with her intelligence, her emotions, and her deadly prowess. Now Celino was a mixed bag: on one hand I wanted to truly hate him and I wanted him to suffer for the way he treated Meli and his total disregard of her even when she reentered his life, but on the other hand I could almost feel for him when realization and regret finally penetrated that iron-c...more
Sharon
4 beautifull teary stars.

Right now I have tears in my eyes, from sadness and happiness alike.

Ilona andrews manages to evoke raw emotion in me through her writing.

she's great with the "show don't tell" storytelling. her ideas and worlds are fascinating, easy to imagine, and I simply love and adore her characters.

Silent blade is a short one, ulitimately it's a pure love story with the tricks of fate. Meli gets a chance to execute a revenge on the man who destroyed her life. there's arranged ma...more
  • Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4)
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • Doubleblind (Sirantha Jax, #3)
  • Finders Keepers
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • The Key
  • Driven (Northern Waste, #1)
  • Under Her Skin
  • Touched by an Alien (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #1)
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be...more
More about Ilona Andrews...
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)

“Superstitions add texture to life.” 6 likes