Start by marking “Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)

Silent Blade (Kinsmen #1)

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,051 Ratings  ·  415 Reviews
Old hatreds die hard. Old love dies harder.

On Meli Galdes' home planet, the struggle for power is a bloody, full-contact sport--in business and on the battlefield. For years her lethal skills have been a valuable asset in advancing her family's interests. She's more than earned her right to retire, but her kinsmen have one last favor to ask.

Kill the man who ruined her life
Published June 2nd 2009 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Silent Blade, please sign up.

RavenS Yep, but nothing too graphic. There's one sex scene if I remember correctly, but it's quite tame.

Aj the Ravenous Reader

Let me help set some realistic expectations here because despite the cover and the title, this is really a cheesy but amazing love story between a kick-ass heroine (who doesn’t really kick ass), with a really super cool ability (but never uses it except to cut inanimate objects in half) and a ruthless, selfish macho hero (who turns into a mush when love-struck).

"I never claimed to be kind or virtuous. But for you, I will be."

"Wouldn’t a more fitting punishment be sentencing me
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy read with the eye candy IA addicts starting Feb 7, 2015.

It's official. I hereby declare that I have sold my soul to the Andrews.

What I usually love in a book:
Butt-kicking heroine & aggravating alpha male: hell yes.
Badass action and gruesome fights: cut cut cut. Slice slice slice. Me likey.
Bom chicka wah wah times: oh yummy.

What I usually hate in a book:
Romance: excuse me while I throw up in my mouth a little bit.
Cuteness: yuck.
HEA: please kill me somebody.

What Silent Blade fea
Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So after I finished reading Burn for Me, the first book in Ilona Andrews’ new and AMAZING Hidden Legacy series, I got to talking with another Ilona fan who had been told that the world-building in Burn for Me was similar to the worlds in the Kinsmen series and the novella, Of Swine and Roses.

And I was like, “Huh. I can see that.” But it’d been years since my early OMG-I-LOVE-Ilona binge, so I decided a reread was in order.

And here we are.

Some time in the indeterminate fut
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 I Wanted More Stars

BR with the awesome IAA gang.

This book has everything I should hate...

1) A serious case of insta-love. The insta-love in this book was heavy. The couple practically fell in love in two days without knowing much about each other.

2) A very high-handed hero. Celino was full of arrogance and my-way-or-the-highway attitude. He was a jerk with zero nice in him to give him some kind of weird redemption.

3) It was a novella so the story never developed well. This is its most seriou
Robin (Bridge Four)
I love the chemistry and the story line and the amazing way that IA turns almost anything I read by them into a world and story I never want to leave. I finish their stories and I'm always ready to go back to page 1 and start all over again.

Super short but I enjoyed every minute spent reading it with my lovely ladies over at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA) you girls just get me.

IA IA IA I think I’m in love with all things IA.

This is just a novella so there isn’t a ton of time for set up and delive
Danae
Feb 07, 2015 Danae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with the wonderful ladies over at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)

There was definitely a case of insta-love and being a little cliche, but Silent Blade was so FUN. I smiled through the entire novella. Seriously, my jaw hurts after smiling for over an hour straight. It was just that cute and entertaining, though.

My only complaint is that I wish it were a lot longer. You can never have enough Ilona Andrews!
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
My friend was so right. This story definitely had shades of Harlequin Presents, with a little Romeo and Juliet thrown in--the feuding families, not the starcrossed lovers.

Celino is a butthead. A sexy one, but a butthead all the same. He could not be more of an arrogant, Harlequin Presents-type hero.

Meli, well she's definitely got more brass than the usual heroine in that line. And she's completely badass. I have to admit, I would have liked it better if she almost tried to kill him before they g
Alexa
Feb 09, 2015 Alexa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Buddy read with the awesome girls at Ilona Andrews Addicts!

Insta-love.
Super rich uber smart perfect douche guy.
Coincidences.

I can keep going, but even with the tropes it kind of works. Or I'm too much of a fangirl to hate something Ilona wrote.

Also, it's a really short read; perfect to read before sleeping and still get SOME sleep. (Don't tell me you don't read "just one more chapter" and suddenly it's 6AM and there are birds chirping outside!)
Rachel Maniacup
This book was reccommended to me by my ever awesome sister Aj,the ravenous reader,and this really is a cheesy love story and I loved it!

Hey sis,can I just copy your review and post it here so I won't be repeating the things you've written there,as I agree to everything you've said? Can I,can I?hehe..

Well, all I can say is..This is a must read beautifully written short novel! Highly reccommended to those who need a light,enjoyable read.^^
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Jan 22, 2016 Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘ by: Julia
This could have been good, it really could. But right now, specially in the damn reading slump I'm in, Silent Blade just didn't work out for me, at all :(
Rate: 1.5/2 stars.
JAIME
Feb 08, 2015 JAIME rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second read of this book - this time with the lovely IAA girls.

Silent Blade is the first (short) book in the Kinsmen series set in the far future where humans have colonised distant planets and created genetically enhanced human beings. Its an extremely cutthroat civilisation, where a family's strength is everything.

Meli has cut herself off from her family to save them further embarrassment after she was rejected by the jerk, Celino, she had been betrothed to since she was 10. Inst
Marla Mei
Jul 12, 2015 Marla Mei rated it liked it
Recommended to Marla Mei by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
OMG thank you so much Aj the Ravenous Reader for recommending this to me. YOU ARE THE BEST. Now go check out her amazing review on this one here. I'm too lazy to write my own and besides, her review says it all already. The only thing I could add is that I wish this was longer!!!!
Ya~
Nov 15, 2015 Ya~ rated it really liked it
Silent Blade, a sci-fi fantasy, is a short novella with only 50 kindle pages. The novella is certainly not perfect, but it is the optimization of great elements in Ilona Andrew’s books I appreciate.

#too short # 4 IA fans
♔ Jᗩ-ela ☘ Killer ⚔ QUEEN ♛
I don't have many words for this. Short, cute, heart-warming :)

Tandie
Mar 22, 2016 Tandie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ilona Andrews fans
I have a soft spot for discriminating assassins. It seems almost a noble profession if they only kill people who've done dastardly deeds, you know? Meli is both a deadly killer and the sweet girl from back home. She cooks and bakes tantalizing dishes that evoke happy childhood memories. She cuts bodies in half with a mere flick of her wrist. How can you not love a woman like that?
oliviasbooks
It started so promising, so very promising, tickling my appetite for graceful, ruthless assassins, outer space, old dynasties, artificially enhanced bodies and a bit of dangeous romance on the side.

But soon, so very soon, the excellent premise got thoroughly drenched in stickily sweet romance of the manly-he-expertly-claims-what-is-his kind as he invested some expendable money and did circus tricks with his muscular tongue and other body extensions, whereas the new-planet-scenery simply served a
Catherine
I liked it a lot even if I thought (view spoiler)
new_user
Jun 17, 2009 new_user rated it really liked it
Cool characters, tone, world. I don't know why they don't write in this world. I would take this futuristic mafia/assassin/old flame/revenge story to magical "detectives" any day. The ene-ribbon fighting was very cool and unique. Couldn't help remembering some anime I've seen. :D
Brandi
Jan 04, 2012 Brandi rated it did not like it
I paraphrase the whole thing so don't read it if you don't want to be a little spoiled. I can't even wrap my mind around the glowing reviews this got. The magic I expect from them is not present at all. This was just horrible.

What a let down! I expect a whole lot better from these two, and this book was not only a let down from a known-to-be-good "author", but it was a let down in the world of books as well. If that made any sense.

This is a very short read, and I think I had it finished in abo
Hollie
Creative concept but it just felt like it was missing something

I love a good revenge story, but this one was disappointing. I wanted to read about a tough heroine assassin with some fantasy thrown in. That didn’t happen. She was a badass very early on, and in the next minute she's turned into Martha fucking Stewart. She's baking, admiring her flowers. NOT KILLING PEOPLE and getting revenge. This book never felt like a fantasy genre book to me, if anything it was a predictable romance type story.
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
My first thought upon finishing was "Wow, that was damn good!".

Silent Blade may fall into the romance category but it is far from soppy. It's futuristic revenge against a man who devastated a young girl and her family in the name of his "freedom".

For a short story the characters were remarkably complex and well fleshed out. The power plays and the tippings of the balance of power between Celino and Meli were brilliantly done. In a futuristic world of mafia-style families and assassinations galo
Mimi Smith
Jul 16, 2014 Mimi Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf-r
4 stars

A very, very, very short book(a short story really), but a good one nonetheless.

This is the first book set in a world where microchips give people special powers....

The World

"In the course of space colonization, there arose a need for humans with enhanced abilities. Men and women who could survive harsh conditions, who were superb warriors, gifted hunters, and brilliant scientists.

Some enhancements were technological in nature: an array of implants with various functions. Their effect
Lexie
Its honestly not an exaggeration when I say that this story made me tear up. Look I have read a lot of romance novels (and I do mean a lot) in my life. Everything from early Harlequin romances to yaoi and I can name on my one hand the amount of books that have made me so happy that HEA's exist in romances. Silent Blade made the list.

Meli and Celino were both defined and restrained by who their families were. What it meant to be kin, the sacrifices you had to make to keep the family strong. I'm a
Angie
Aug 02, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it
I have been going through another bout of Kate & Curran withdrawals lately. Really, they're simply Ilona Andrews withdrawals because I just am ten different ways in love with the way they write a world. I know going in to expect to be amazed, delighted, and--above all and thank the high heavens--entertained. Whether its shapeshifters and magic waves, overlapping dimensions and backwoods feuds, or futuristic assassins and genetically enhanced mafiosi--it is guaranteed to get my bibliophilic h ...more
MrsJoseph

Another good one from the Andrews! I'm such a fan.

I've heard of Silent Blade (and the Kinsmen series) before but I often get caught up in the more recent work released by Ilona Andrews. I ended up finally getting to Kinsmen deep in an Ilona Andrews glomming: I'd read Burn for Me , the available parts of Sweep in Peace and I was waiting to start a Kate Daniels series buddy re-read. Desperate, I remembered there were a couple of IA (Ilona Andrews) works I h
Vicky (the Blowtorch-Wielding OotCDCB™)
Why is it we sometimes forgive out favorite authors for things we would never tolerate from any others? I’m not sure, but Ilona Andrews can do no wrong. It’s as simple as that.

Celino, the male lead of this story, was an arrogant STALKING (view spoiler) asshole. Now, this is the type of behavior that usually puts me off books for good… except, it would seem, when IA is writing it. I
Holly
Jul 17, 2012 Holly rated it really liked it
In the midst of the technologically and biologically advanced kinsmen of her home planet, Meli Galdes is a melder. Melders are the rare result of a mutation that in Meli’s case permits her to operate an energy ribbon through a bracelet on her wrist, severing anything in its path. For years, Meli’s covertly filled the role of family assassin, killing whoever threatens the Galdes’ survival. But Meli’s tired of killing, and following her latest target, Meli’s promised retirement will begin. That is ...more
Ivie ✩Born to Magic-Forced to Muggle✩
I have absolutely no idea how i've managed to miss this book untill now knowing full well that i am a fan of Ilona and Gordon Andrews. And like all of their work this was fabulous.

I love the earthy, strong female characters they produce and the incredible ingenuity of their world building. This was a shorter story but amazing from start to finish.

In a futuristic off planet world a young woman sets off to avenge her once broken heart by taking a contract to kill her ex flame.

Genius, very well wr
Jill
Feb 07, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
Wow, this was à really great read. It amazes me how effortlessly this book manages to do what most other short stories can't. This story wasn't rushed, it didn't feel incomplete, the characters didn't feel empty. I loved every bit of this book. It was different, the world was awesome. I want more,more I tells ya!

• Killbox
  • Finders Keepers
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • Fathers and Sons (Curran POV, #2)
  • Dark Horse (Class 5, #1)
  • Under Her Skin
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

Kinsmen (2 books)
  • Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)

“Superstitions add texture to life.” 6 likes