Start by marking “Guts” as Want to Read:
Guts

Guts

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,731 Ratings  ·  403 Reviews
16 pages
Published (first published March 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Guts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guts

American Psycho by Bret Easton EllisLord of the Flies by William Golding1984 by George OrwellA Child Called "It" by Dave PelzerA Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
The Most Disturbing Book Ever Written
141st out of 1,820 books — 6,542 voters
Fight Club by Chuck PalahniukA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessAmerican Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis1984 by George OrwellThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Best Transgressive Fiction
42nd out of 726 books — 625 voters

More lists with this book...

kirkesque
Aug 22, 2010 kirkesque rated it did not like it
I suppose isolated, inexperienced people who live vicariously through television or lame books like Upchuck Palahniuk writes, would find this sort of thing something to faint at or throw up because of, but if you've ever experienced anything remotely akin to somewhat off-center fetishes or what a lot of people would call "regular life," this sort of thing is evident for what it is: salacious pandering. But no one went broke underestimating the buying public's desire for salacious pandering.

Gross
Misal
Masturbating has never been this horrifying. Or disgusting. Or brilliant. Yes, this is not for the squeamish, it's disturbing to read, and I'm pretty sure it's going to haunt me forever, but that just goes to show how well Palahniuk has written this story. I wasn't able to tear my eyes away from the page for a second, I was so engrossed in it.
Franco  Santos
Extraño, salvaje, demencial. Un buen cuento, se lee en unos minutos y es imposible no quedarse con un desagrado visceral al terminarlo.

Lo recomiendo.
Carla ☺Did I Say That☺
SMDH..I'm trying to come up with a way to describe this one..awwwh.. who am I kidding ...I got nothing...I'll just leave my jaw on the floor and move on..lol!!!
Triv S.
Jun 04, 2012 Triv S. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ANYONE WHO READS THIS: IT HURTS. IT HURTS TO READ. BE PREPARED.
OH GOD! OH GOOD GOD! WHY CHUCK WHY!

Okay, he rocks. He just full on rocks. Like I can't go on about him enough. But...this.

78 people fainted whilst listening to him read this.

I'm assuming they fainted around page 4. Oh goooodddddd noooooooo. It's just...I cannot. It hurts to read. PHYSICALLY HURTS TO READ. (view spoiler) You'll get what I mean if you read it. In s
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
I first read this short story in Haunted Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk by Chuck Palahniukand I was shocked....shocked to the point where I couldn't even picture a thing like this EVER happening...but you never know.

Why 5 Stars? Maybe Chuck has a loyal fan in me but it's more than that...when a story grips you to a point where you can picture EXACTLY what is happening and get the stomach weeby jeebies....I have found the perfect writer when I'm in the mood for some brutal stories.

It reminds me of the gore from Cows by Matthew Stokoebut believabl
Kristijan
Mar 20, 2015 Kristijan rated it really liked it
Huh... Sedim i razmišljam koju ocenu da dam i šta da napišem...
Na kraju se odlučih za četvorčicu... Palahniuk tako moćno piše!!! Kupio me je još davnih dana sa romanima Choke, Survivor i Fight club. On je brutalan, sirov, ciničan. Ne poznaje granice i čini se da sa svakim svojim tekstom ide korak dalje, kršeći tabue.
Priča je brutalna i eksplicitna, a Palahniuk je još dodatno začinio tekst žestokim opisima koji doprinose vizuelizaciji cele priče.
Svi vi koji imate slabe stomake ne upuštajte se u
Gor93ous
Oct 07, 2011 Gor93ous rated it really liked it
Why did I read this story only instead of devouring all of “Haunted”? The answer is, I’m not into collections of short stories, where there tends to be hits and misses in them. So, I went to find this specific story online, because I’ve heard plenty good things about it.

I was ready to be SCARED. I was ready to be pissing my pants!

But, instead, I got a good laugh out of it! I believe you won’t, though, so please just discard my previous statement since it’s related to my very-subjective and inexp
Krbo
Mar 20, 2015 Krbo rated it liked it
I ja sam za trojku.

Zanimljivo, nigdje vam ne piše o čemu je priča, he.
Priča (kratka) je o tri mlada momka koji su se malo zanijeli istražujući užitke osobne seksualnosti pa pretrpjeli neke posljedice, od običnog (cjeloživotnog) neugodnjaka do vrlo teških.

Palahniuk vas ovdje može šokirati - kako vidite ocjene su ili 1 ili 4-5 - kako ga tko shvati.
Vrlo je eksplicitan, prizori su uznemirujući no pokušava li šokirati čitatelja samo radi šoka ili provodi Bene Gesserit načelo "izazovi krizu pa promatr
Lisabelle
Oct 22, 2012 Lisabelle rated it it was amazing
5 stars because it definitely accomplishes what it set out to do. And that is to make the reader EXTREMELY F&@?!@G uncomfortable. I read this as part of his "Haunted" anthology and its the first time I recall reading something and feeling like I really wanted to stop because I was so disturbed by the relentlessly horrific imagery.
After telling some friends at a party the backstory which is that Palahniuk was asked not to do readings of "Guts" anymore because so many audience members were pa
Rebecca McNutt
This was the first book I've read in a long time that I threw in the garbage for fear that it might make its way back into society. I bought it a a thrift store and thought it looked kind of different, but it was so perverted and disgusting that I just couldn't believe somebody would write it to begin with. How the author managed to make a short story into hell on earth is beyond me, but I think this is one example of a book that should never have been written.
Greg Gallo
Oct 14, 2011 Greg Gallo rated it did not like it
To convey some of my problems with reading Palahniuk I would easily use this short work as an epitome example. At times, Palahniuk offers enthralling reflections of the contemporary human state, but a lot of the times, this being one of those times, he offers shock factor for the simple sake of shock factor. I'm going to read his novel "Rant" though, I think it'll be good.
Knarik Avetisyan
Jun 13, 2014 Knarik Avetisyan rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
История начинается со слов автора, говорящего своим слушателям, чтобы те глубоко вдохнули, задержали дыхание и не дышали на протяжении всего рассказа "история продолжается до тех пор, пока вы можете не дышать". Сообщалось, что во время публичного чтения 35 человек потеряли сознание из-за нехватки воздуха вследствие длительной задержки дыхания? хотя возможно, большинство из них, будучи поклонниками Паланика, лишь сделали вид, что лишились чувств.

Вот у Маяковского было "Послушайте! Ведь, если звез
Kristine Muslim
Jan 20, 2013 Kristine Muslim rated it it was ok
Guts is crass, a rote and superficial torture manual. My idea of high-quality transgressive literature is one that’s hypnotic, subliminally acute, repurposing elements of violence so, collectively, they become more than just a cheap freak show. The early short stories of Joe Lansdale exemplify that. Also, Chet Williamson’s visceral Lowland Rider. As for Guts, it is a sad freak show with nothing but carrots and mangled body parts to offer. This exemplar by Palahniuk, my first foray into his work, ...more
Josh Brock
Jul 25, 2013 Josh Brock rated it did not like it
This is a short story about various increasingly disgusting masturbatory situations, It is also vey poorly written, to the point where I honestly don't believe that it would be out of place in an adult edition of kids short horror series "Goosebumps".

It is a story that is trying to be shocking for the sake of being shocking, when Palahniuk could have done so much better. I am a huge fan of some of his books, but this was appallingly written and difficult to finish reading, even though the story
Keith Deininger
Feb 03, 2015 Keith Deininger rated it really liked it
This story is disgusting.
Mariana
Mar 27, 2015 Mariana rated it really liked it
Primero que nada,... wow.

En verdad, wow. *risa nerviosa*

4.5/5

Bien, debo aclarar primero que si algo me puede es el morbo. Soy demasiado ociosa con tiempo libre (o al menos relativamente, ha!) y demonios, este libro prácticamente me ordenó que lo leyera.

Segundo punto, me encanta el gore. (¿Quién lo diría, no?) Así que este libro me vino anillo al dedo, aunque no de la manera que hubiera imaginado. Creo que nadie se imagina lo que está a punto de leer cuando tiene esta muy particular lectura fre
Tasha-Lynn
Jun 27, 2015 Tasha-Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
I need to give this 5/5 for seriously making me squirm... And picture things in my imagination I never thought I ever would
Ivan Lutz
Mar 19, 2015 Ivan Lutz rated it liked it
Zapravo je za 2 ali dobro piše pa ocjena više. Shvaćam da ljudi u bolešćurama vide neku alternativu i totalno su ludi i otkačeni...meni ovo malo jače od treša... ako hoćeš otkačeno i realno uzmi Bukowskog, Fantea ili Millera... Jedno je pisati da si luđak, kao Chuck, a jedno je BITI luđak koji se oslobodio svih spona vanjskog svijeta i koji je zaista slobodan - Woody Allen slobodan. Dobar mi je Fight Club, baš dobar...i još sam nešto čitao a da me ubiješ ne znam šta :) Guts, je OK, baš OK. Volio ...more
Anindyta
May 10, 2013 Anindyta rated it did not like it
Hello guys! Hello people! Hello someone who read this post accidentally. Tonight, I will write something that I’m afraid to write but I have to…just to make my feeling better. Just to sleep tonight. And just to warn you.

Yes. Warn you!

Alright. I’m so busy these days and I’m slowly reading the big monster book right now for one of my book club. These things made me restless and I did some book browsing because of it. Then I…accidentally found this story by one of my favorite author.

Well, you may
Airiz C
Sep 08, 2011 Airiz C rated it really liked it
Guts. Usually, that’s what you need when you want to read any of Chuck Palahniuk’s works. Once, I’ve compared reading his works to participating in Fear Factor for some readers. His writings are not for everyone—especially not for people with weak stomachs.

Guts is included in Chuck’s anthology Haunted, but I’ve read this on the net and heard it on Youtube. It’s probably one of the most disgusting tales I’ve ever encountered, and I have to confess I squirmed many times while reading it. The writi
Tiffany
Apr 21, 2011 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Of all of the things to expect in a story entitled "Guts" I did not expect that one bit. However I did not puke or faint though I am writing this only a few minutes after my reading and puking is still a very real possibility. My stomach does feel quite strange.

Still, while most authors can manage the simple task of making hearts pound, I do believe that it took Palahniuk to make my stomach pound. I will not spoil the story with my reasoning yet it left me terrified of all things with suction po
Anya
Went in with the hopes that reading it would make me faint (as it did to numerous people at Chuck P's readings) but came out outrageously disgusted and laughing like a loon. Who'd have thought that I am gutty? >:D (view spoiler)
Steph
Oct 27, 2010 Steph rated it it was amazing
I'm actually very fond of this story (my favorite in Haunted), but due to its content I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone. I find it hard to believe that anyone fainted at a reading, but maybe it's more shocking to hear it aloud. I think it's funny. Palahniuk is a great storyteller.
Jenna~Ice Queen~Dreams
May 05, 2014 Jenna~Ice Queen~Dreams rated it really liked it
Oh goodness... it hurts. I'm hurting after reading this short story. Wow. I'm glad I am not a guy, that is all I have to say. At least, not one of the guys in this book!
Ron
Jan 28, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
Wonderfully disgusting and darkly hilarious. If I never read that much about the colon again, I'll die a happy man.
Luke McGrath
Nov 13, 2013 Luke McGrath rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Horror fans
Shelves: shorts
Guts is a hard short story to like. It's little more than a gross anecdote, by a narrator that doesn't seem to care for much more than disgusting his readers (the same can be said of the author Chuck Palahniuk).

Yet the story has semi-mythical status in certain circles as a story that, when read aloud, has caused over 70 faintings (yes, apparently that does happen outside of Victorian women in romance novels). I read the story on a screen, but I can easily imagine the added power a great public r
Ines Ružička
Mar 27, 2016 Ines Ružička rated it really liked it
Bilo je za trojku, nevidljiva mrkva na kraju je dodala jos jednu ocjenu. Sad si samo razmisljam, OK za trinaestogodisnjaka, u tim godinama su svi nezreli i sve te seksualne frustracije i samoupoznavanje, eksperimentiranje, ispitivanje granica mi ima smisla. Ali ovo je pisala odrasla osoba. Cini mi se da nije bolestan- znaci ovo je pisao s namjerom zgaditi ili zabaviti ljude. Meni je cak bilo vise smjesno, a ocekivala sam horor pricu.
Vishakha Tyagi
Mar 16, 2016 Vishakha Tyagi rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vishakha by: Anya
Shelves: 2016
I am never going into swimming pools ever again. Never.

Bizarrely funny and creatively disgusting, this book will make sure you are scarred for life !
Chuck Palahniuk is a genius. :D
Keeleigh
Apr 10, 2014 Keeleigh rated it it was ok
It's Chuck Palahniuk doing what Chuck Palahniuk does best, writing stories to shock and offend. I've become desensitised to Palahniuk's shock tactics but even I found this one to be pretty disgusting.

I don't think anyone needs to urgently read this, if you've ever read a Palahniuk book then it's just more of the same. His writing style is good and I enjoy the conversational tone he takes with the reader, but I find his content to be boring a predictable. His efforts to piss people off feel so di
  • Clown Girl
  • Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange
  • The Informers
  • Apathy and Other Small Victories
  • The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things
Written in stolen moments under truck chassis and on park benches to a soundtrack of The Downward Spiral and Pablo Honey, Fight Club came into existence. The adaptation of Fight Club was a flop at the box office, but achieved cult status on DVD. The film’s popularity drove sales of the novel. Chuck put out two novels in 1999, Survivor and Invisible Monsters. Choke, published in 2001, became Chuck’ ...more
More about Chuck Palahniuk...

“In the end, it's never what you worry about that gets you.” 25 likes