The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance

The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance (Mammoth Romances)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Twenty tales of swashbuckling adventure and passionate romance from some of the most exciting names in romance fiction, including Margo Maguire, Autumn Daw, Sandy Blair, Michele Maddox, Patti O'Shea, Holly Lisle, Kimberly Raye, and Madeline Baker.

Join the heroines in this delightful anthology as they step backwards - or forwards - in time, transported to the Scottish Highl...more
Published December 8th 2009 by Running Press (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Romance

SheLove2Read
1/5/2010
I'm reading this slowly.

The Key To Happiness by Gwyn Cready. I've never read anything by this author before but it was a REALLY good story. Very touching. The premise was loving someone more than you love yourself and setting them free, even though it means you lose them. I won't give away what happens but I got teary eyed at the end! 5 stars.

MacDuff's Secrety by Sandy Blair. Just ok. Scottish highland romance. I thought it was kind of cheesy, really. 2 stars.

Lost and Found by Maureen Mc...more
Maureen McGowan
I'm biased, because I did write one of the 20 stories in this anthology, but there's a fabulous variety of fun voices in this book.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Some stories worked, some were just okay, and others didn't hold my interest.

These were the best:
The Eleventh Hour by Michelle Maddox-
Enjoyed this one; however the falling in love happened quickly (but then given the length, what did I expect?)

Pilot's Forge by Patrice Sarath-
Interesting start, it kept my attention. I loved Edith's profession (Farrier). Weird end.

The Troll Bridge by Patti O'Shea-
My favorite- no insta-love in this one, just insta-like and a willingness to let's see what happens me...more
Lexie
For the record I've read 8 of the authors listed above previously. In the introduction by Telep she mentions how time travel romance flourished in the 90's and early new millennium, but how paranormal romance has sort of shoved it away. I tried to remember the last *new* time travel romance I had read and I believe it would be Gwyn Cready's Tumbling Through Time, which I only liked so-so. I know that Brenda Joyce had several with her Time Guardians series--which was also a so-so series in my opi...more
Jane Mercer
Vastly entertaining 20 tales of Time Travel and Romance.
On average these are highly entertaining stories and mostly not from your usual supernatural writers.
There are one or two a little slow but mostly pack a delightful punch for short stories I especially like the one that actually dealt with the paradox it would create by changing a timeline which most seemed to ignore. (one though, The Walled Garden seemed to be a bad fit but it could be because I got fed up with it and skipped to the next)....more
Taylor
So far my opinion on this book is the story lines are very creative given the length. The relationships on the other hand though are very unrealistic to me. It feels like in every single story the couple meets very strangely followed by making out the very next day. I understand its a romance anthology and they only have some pages to write the story but come on. If it were me who were these characters, I wouldn't be making out with some guy that I found in my horse stable in an astronaut suit t...more
holly quigley
Since this is an anthology, I figure I'll start my review now.

The Key To Happiness, by Gwyn Cready

Really sweet little story. So many Time Travel romances I've read are just kind of happenstance stories, whereas this one is very specifically about a character trying to go back and change something. I really liked it, although I think the short story format is about the only place that kind of arc would work that easily.

MacDuff's Secret by Sandy Blair

Tolerable, barely. Good thing it was a short s...more
Reannon
This was a very interesting idea to take a bunch of short stories to put in one book. Though I would have to say this was very poorly done. I would have liked seeing the stories longer than 2-4 pages.. it felt like everything was more rushed than what it should have been and before you could even get a feel for the main characters the stories were done. I am completely disappointed since it left me wanting more of the stories. Each one had a very well thought out plot and would have been great s...more
Christy
There were a few good stories in this anthology that would have brought my rating up if the rest hadn't been so awful. I know "romance" was in the title and should have warned me, but too many of the stories relied heavily on characters thinking "I know I just met you, but I'm soooo attracted to you, I think I love you" (which is just lazy writing - how about some characters with actual chemistry?!?). A lot of the stories started with a good time travel story, but as soon as the characters hooke...more
Beth N
Apr 10, 2010 Beth N added it
I originally borrow this book to read only one story (The Walled Garden by Michele Lang) but the others intrigued me. I do plan on returning and seeing what else this has in store.

As for The Walled Garden, I really enjoyed it. It was nicely paced and not the perfect fairy tale. The damsel-in-distress is flawed and not your average cookie cutter damsel. She has already survived a life-altering altercation that both broke her and made her stronger. For this much character development it is amazing...more
Maggie Bermann
Okay im abt half way through this but its been a LONG time since I can actually say ive HATED a book! and Hate is a strong word.

Book is 24 short stories (Novellas).I feel each one is too rushed, or to slow then wham, thank you mam, its the end, and you are left going huh, wtf happened next!

Some of the stories have such good potential to be more, but ending is ruined by being over so quickly.

Maybe im just so used to proper novels lol

Ive got Mammoth book of Irish romances and Scottish romances to...more
Tammie
It was nice to take a break and read a bunch of short stories after the epic Game of Thrones series and have to say that I enjoyed every story in this anthology...several left me wanting more and I will be following up with those authors to see if they have written extended versions of what was published here. Anthologies are not something I have ever really been interested in, but I do have to admit it is a great way to discover new authors!!
Carrie
If you ever need a cover that will elict smirks and possibly mocking laughter on the bus, this would be it. (Not that I experienced this personally, although now I kind of wish I had tried.)

There were three stories I liked. The Key to Happiness by Gwen Cready, Pilot's Forge by Patrice Sarath, and Last Thorsday Night by Holly Lisle.

The rest was crap. Not just oh, kind of bad mediocre romance. No, so bad that I still can't justify giving this book more than one star, even though those three storie...more
Caro
This was a pretty good book. A little disappointing in that it was a typical anthology: half and half. There were some really good stories but also ones I didn't really care for. There were a few good steamy scenes, some Highlanders, Rangers, a steampunk, some faeries, and modern day attitudes. I wouldn't mind reading this again but I wouldn't shelf this one. There were maybe a few stories I really enjoyed but most of theme were just good. Overall, pretty good though and not bad, good for passin...more
Deirdre
Ho-hum collection of time travel stories. My favourite was probably Last Thorsday night by Holly Lisle (an author I like anyway). Often when I read a collection like this there are one or two new authors who intrigue me and make me want to read more by them, nope, every author I liked the story by was an author I already read. I suppose it's not helped by the fact that I really am not that interested in time travel as a trope and was wondering if it was just some of the books I have read about i...more
Emily
Surprisingly (at least to me) I only ended up skipping about 3 of the stories. There were a few that I would have really enjoyed to read as longer works--there was a lot more to those worlds/stories that could have been developed. Only about 4 stories in here really fit the short story format; most felt like longer works condensed to fit the limited page count. Overall, not a bad way to spend a few hours stuck at an airport.
Amanda
This book had a good mix of more futuristic science fiction and more fantasy oriented short stories. As with most anthologies, there were some I didn't care for, some I wish could be turned into a full length novel so I could find out what happened next, and most were a fun short read. Anyone who likes a little time travel and romance should definitely give it a read.

For me it wasn't a 4, but I'd give it a 3.5.
Debbie
Aug 17, 2010 Debbie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: time travel fans
Recommended to Debbie by: saw on shelf in library, two week books and had to have
If you could travel in time would you go to the future or to the past. Both were explored here. Phil said future and Emily said past. Jake's asleep so I'll have to wait to ask. My favorite story was a bout the thursday night book club. No brain surgery here but a good fun read.Most of the stories were easy to get into it.All 20 had some redeeming quality.
Megan
Overall, I enjoy the book. There were a few stories that either appeared to end too quickly or seemed to drag on though this is my first time reading a Mammoth Book. I highly recommend it for those who may not have a lot of time to read long novels or those who enjoy short story time travel romances.
Kelly Wagner
All the stories are original to this anthology. A mixed bag, varying quality. Some to the past, some from the future. I am really sick and tired of time-traveling Scotsmen, it's been overdone already.
Darcy
I only read a handful of stories with the authors that I normally read. The stories were interesting some traveled in the past some in the future. A couple of the stories had a cute premise.
Donna
I bought book this because one of the authors was on my "must read list." I thought a few of the stories were silly, but over-all, I enjoyed it thoroughly!!
Erica
Some cute stories... some that would have been awesome as an actual novel. Favorite was the Highlander one by Allie McKay; so romantic... ~swoon~
Tasneem
This is a very well done collection of short stories. I really enjoyed all of them. A definte 5 for inginuity and interest.
Kirsten
Some stories were definitely better than others, but lots of my favorite genre all in one place is a wonderful thing!
The cover of this book makes me laugh. The stories aren't actually too bad, though.
Ladyreadsalot!
All these Mammoth books are great! Top Authors and very well written.
Kristi-The Book Faery
Hoping it will come to Kindle or someone will do a swap :o]
Joanna Yeoh
wonderful for fans of the concept of time-travel.
Maria
Excellent, brilliant page turner
  • The Mammoth Book of Hot Romance
  • A Twist In Time (Da Vinci Time Travel, #3)
  • Dark Viking (Viking II, #10)
  • Running with the Pack
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Must Love Kilts (Highlander, #5)
  • A Highlander Christmas
  • Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives
  • Thirteen Chances
  • Warrior of the Highlands (Highlands, #3)
  • Faeries Gone Wild
  • Rogue's Challenge (Challenge, #2)
  • Dracula in London
  • Highland Rogue (Highland Dream, #4)
  • The Mammoth Book of Monsters
  • Aching for Always
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
Trisha Telep was the romance and fantasy book buyer at Murder One, a London crime, mystery, and romance bookstore; she's now co-owner of the virtual bookstore www.murderone.co.uk and an editor of romance and supernatural anthologies for Mammoth. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, she now lives in London.
More about Trisha Telep...
The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances

“There is no difference 'twixt you and 'twixt me, save that one stands and one sits when we pee.” 0 likes