Start by marking “Cicada Summer” as Want to Read:
Cicada Summer

Cicada Summer

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  173 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Eloise doesn't speak, but can she see into the past?This exciting and atmospheric mystery from the author of the Chanters of Tremaris series explores themes of family, friendship, and grief.

Something flickered at the top of the stairs. Eloise heard a voice call, I'm coming!, and a girl in a pale dress and a big sunhat came running, her fingertips slipping down the curve of
Published December 28th 2010 by Allen & Unwin (first published May 1st 2009)

Judith
Apr 12, 2009 Judith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensfiction
This is a wonderful children's novel in the tradition of classics like The Secret Garden and Tom's Midnight Garden. Eloise is grieving for her dead mother, while her father runs after one get-rich-quick scheme (and bad girlfriend) after another, eventually dumping Eloise with a grandmother she doesn't know. When Eloise meets Anna, a girl in the summerhouse of a derelict house, she thinks she's travelling in time. By the end of the summer, Eloise realises just who Anna is and shy she's so importa ...more
Lark
Oct 25, 2014 Lark rated it liked it
Eloise's father has a lot of grand schemes - and his latest one is building a convention centre in his old hometown. But after moving around for the past years after her mom has died, Eloise has been going quiet. But even in this little town with her grandmother and friendly neighbors, Eloise is scared. So when she finds herself traveling back in time to play with a girl named Anna, she is cautiously trying to find her voice again.

I picked up this book because I quite enjoyed Constable's Chante
Moonie Jarl
Feb 26, 2014 Moonie Jarl rated it liked it
Susannah McFarlane
Feb 21, 2014 Susannah McFarlane rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, haunting time slip story. Was my daughter's favourite book when she read it aged 12
VictoriousViolinist
Mar 27, 2014 VictoriousViolinist rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Cicada Summer is a book I would recommend to everyone, it is something to look forward to reading!
Livvy
Mar 16, 2014 Livvy rated it really liked it
I love this book. It is a really good easy read. If you like time travel you might like this book.
Kirsten Bartlett
Nov 12, 2015 Kirsten Bartlett rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome I loved it!
Sowmiya
Good
Samantha-Ellen Bound
The first half of Cicada Summer is promising; the introduced themes have great potential, the characters are engaging, the setting has a wonderful ghostly/atmospheric feel to it. But somewhere along the way this book lost me a little bit – I just feel that the story didn’t really go anywhere; it didn’t grab me emotionally and all the conflict was resolved in a kind of by-the-numbers way.

Full review at:
Jenny
Aug 24, 2010 Jenny rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kids who love time-slip. Kids' writers who want to see what's winning the awards.
Well written time slip story about a girl who after losing her mother is taken to stay with her grumpy gran while Dad hatches a new scheme. The time slip element wasn't particularly original, nor was the coming to terms with grief and other issues, which pretty much makes up the entire plot (even got a in a good plug for immigration). All in all a nice story - though no more deserving of a CBC short-listing than many others out there.
Penni Russon
Oct 08, 2011 Penni Russon rated it it was amazing
At 8 this book definitely challenged Fred, but she really enjoyed it and loved the time-slip tricksiness employed by the author. She especially loved Anna, who was Fred's anchor in the book and grew very fond of Mo - will be interested to see how her relationship to the characters change as she rereads the book in the years to come (as I am sure she will).

We progressed from this to Charlotte Sometimes.
Emily
Oct 07, 2010 Emily rated it liked it
A very happy book. Thought it could of had something else about it caus nothing unexpexted happened. It was quite intresting and I havent really read a book like it before. I would reccomend it for very happy readers :)
Emily Serena
Sep 08, 2013 Emily Serena rated it it was amazing
This book is my all time favourite book. It's amazing. The secrets that get shared, the intense friendship between two girls, the love and care shared between the two families, it's fantastic.
10/10
Lucila
Mar 14, 2013 Lucila rated it it was amazing
A great book. I really enjoyed it!! I loved the excitement of the secrets that were told, the characters were wonderful, loveable people.
LauraW
Jul 17, 2009 LauraW rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween, middle-grades
This book is good, no doubt, but I felt the time-travel part was a bit formulaic. I liked the real live people better.
singing lover
Jul 17, 2010 singing lover rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves
loved this book. was a bit sad though but good(:
A must read.
Sara
Jul 29, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A simple read but one of the best chapter books I've ever read!
Corinne Campbell
Jan 17, 2016 Corinne Campbell rated it really liked it
This was excellent. Good for young teens.
Catherine
Jul 26, 2010 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
This is such a cute book!
Jemima Puddle Duck
This was a nice, short read.
Marisa
Aug 23, 2013 Marisa rated it really liked it
I really liked it.
Emdicy
Emdicy added it
May 05, 2016
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Lang
Lang marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Sté "Aya"
Sté "Aya" marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Nagisa Furukawa
Nagisa Furukawa marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Vzlatsin
Vzlatsin rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
WOW! 3 13 Jan 21, 2012 10:13AM
  • The Truth About Verity Sparks
  • The Girl Behind the Glass
  • The Ghost at the Drive-In Movie (The Boxcar Children, #116)
  • Ghostly Encounters: True Stories of America's Haunted Inns and Hotels
  • The Ghost of Greenwich Village
  • Real-Life X-Files: Investigating the Paranormal
  • The 2012 Story: The Myths, Fallacies, and Truth Behind the Most Intriguing Date in History
  • Shalott (Shalott, #1)
  • Girl Next Door
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012
  • Too Small to Fail
  • Deciphering the Cosmic Number: The Strange Friendship of Wolfgang Pauli and Carl Jung
  • Finding Atlantis: A True Story of Genius, Madness, and an Extraordinary Quest for a Lost World
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Look Both Ways (Midnight Twins, #2)
  • Majic Man (Nathan Heller, #11)
  • Pagan Christmas: The Plants, Spirits, and Rituals at the Origins of Yuletide
  • Druids: A Very Short Introduction
Kate Constable was born in Sangringham, Melborne (Victoria, Australia). When she was six-years-old, her family moved to Papua New Guinea where her father worked as a pilot.

Constable got her Arts/Law degree at Melborne University, then got a job at Warner Music. She started writing during these years.

She wrote several short-stories before becoming an author and after her first attempt at writing
More about Kate Constable...