Start by marking “Touchwood” as Want to Read:
Touchwood

Touchwood

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  412 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Twenty-nine-year-old Rayann Germaine, betrayed by her lover, flees in grief and rage. She meets book store owner Louisa Thatcher, a woman many years her senior, who offers shelter and work... and soon, passion, and a loving place in her life.

But Rayann encounters challenges to this new love—from friends who question its wisdom, from her mother who disapproves of this liais
Published December 1st 2003 by Bella Books (first published April 10th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Touchwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touchwood

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
72nd out of 1,283 books — 1,556 voters
And Playing the Role of Herself by K.E. LaneWaiting in the Wings by Melissa BraydenJericho by Ann McManHow Sweet It Is by Melissa BraydenThirteen Hours by Meghan O'Brien
Best F/F Romance Books
119th out of 654 books — 482 voters

More lists with this book...

Agirlcandream
Oct 15, 2014 Agirlcandream rated it it was amazing
My, my. What a beautiful book. I now understand why Touchwood is a favourite for many readers. I stepped so deeply into this story I feel like I have spent the afternoon in Louisa and Rayann's bookstore. The May-December romance is met with the appropriate amount of fear and challenges but what impressed me the most about Touchwood was hearing about the challenges lesbians faced in their personal and professional lives in the twentieth century.

Kallmaker does a masterful job of educating and rem
Jem
I've come to the same conclusion as Bib, this is "An enjoyable May-December lesbian romance."

Rayann, a 30-something wood sculptor, is viciously betrayed by her girlfriend. She runs away and finds refuge in the upper apartment of a woman who runs a small bookstore. The woman is old enough to be her mother, but Rayann feels strangely attracted to her. Is she just on the rebound? Is she just starved for intimacy? Or is it something more? Trouble is, how does Rayann find out? Not only is the age ga
angie
Aug 15, 2014 angie rated it it was amazing
May and December have never been so lovely. Beautiful, extremely moving and just plain wonderful, Touchwood is the kind of story that is both deep and mature and makes you wish you could find someone like Louisa in real life.

It can be a bit frustrating at times when Louisa and Rayann fail to effectively communicate with each other, especially in the beginning, but it's also 100% believable.

As a complete softie for May/December romances, I love the dynamics between the two main characters and h
Deborah
Mar 18, 2009 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kallmaker
I love Karin's writing style. TOUCHWOOD is a sample of the depth of her characters - and of course some spice.
Sgpowers
Feb 15, 2012 Sgpowers rated it it was amazing
This is the very first lesbian fiction book I read when I was coming out. It felt like home!
Bib
Feb 20, 2013 Bib rated it liked it
An enjoyable May-December lesbian romance.
Yoly
Jun 23, 2014 Yoly rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-women-2014
A very sweet May-December romance. The story felt a little dated with the mention of diskettes, yikes!
M
Mar 11, 2016 M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: l-books, 5-books, romance
Fantastic read.

Understand now why this book is in so many people's top 10.
Amanda
Jan 02, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian-fiction
My favorite Karin Kallmaker book so far.
JT
Dec 28, 2015 bookish butch rated it it was amazing
beautiful love story
M. Donner
Mar 05, 2016 M. Donner rated it liked it
3.5/5. Published in 1991; still holds loads of spark. The time frame brings light to LGBTQ+ issues of the 90's (and earlier), which was fascinating to learn about.
Mina
Aug 19, 2012 Mina rated it it was ok
Shelves: won-in-giveaway
I won this book for free through Goodreads First Reads! Thanks Goodreads!
Robin Gunning
Mar 12, 2013 Robin Gunning rated it it was amazing
My all-time favorite by Karin Kallmaker.
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Kezh. S
Kezh. S marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
De'shay
De'shay marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
noel mitchell
noel mitchell marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Simone, Dammit
Simone, Dammit marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Kaja
Kaja marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Lex Kent
Lex Kent marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Connie Byrne
Connie Byrne marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Magdalena
Magdalena rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Orion
Orion marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Mish Mochan
Mish Mochan rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Cathi Jones
Cathi Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
  • When Dreams Tremble
  • The Wild One
  • Stranded
  • Thirteen Hours
Karin Kallmaker has been exclusively devoted to lesbian fiction since the publication of her first novel in 1989. As an author published by the storied Naiad Press, she worked with Barbara Grier and Donna McBride, and has been fortunate to be mentored by a number of editors, including Katherine V. Forrest.
In addition to multiple Lambda Literary Awards, she has been featured as a Stonewall Library
More about Karin Kallmaker...