Start by marking “Touchwood” as Want to Read:
Touchwood

Touchwood

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  339 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Twenty-nine-year-old Rayann Germaine, betrayed by her lover, flees in grief and rage. She meets book store owner Louisa Thatcher, a woman many years her senior, who offers shelter and work... and soon, passion, and a loving place in her life.

But Rayann encounters challenges to this new love—from friends who question its wisdom, from her mother who disapproves of this liais
Published December 1st 2003 by Bella Books (first published April 10th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Touchwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touchwood

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
74th out of 1,086 books — 1,312 voters
Deeper by Ronica BlackIn Too Deep by Ronica BlackHeart of Change by Roxy HarteAlice's Sexual Discovery in a Wonderful Land by Liz AdamsThe Dark Wife by Sarah Diemer
The Hot List (X-rated edition)
9th out of 86 books — 44 voters

More lists with this book...

Agirlcandream
My, my. What a beautiful book. I now understand why Touchwood is a favourite for many readers. I stepped so deeply into this story I feel like I have spent the afternoon in Louisa and Rayann's bookstore. The May-December romance is met with the appropriate amount of fear and challenges but what impressed me the most about Touchwood was hearing about the challenges lesbians faced in their personal and professional lives in the twentieth century.

Kallmaker does a masterful job of educating and rem
Jem
I've come to the same conclusion as Bib, this is "An enjoyable May-December lesbian romance."

Rayann, a 30-something wood sculptor, is viciously betrayed by her girlfriend. She runs away and finds refuge in the upper apartment of a woman who runs a small bookstore. The woman is old enough to be her mother, but Rayann feels strangely attracted to her. Is she just on the rebound? Is she just starved for intimacy? Or is it something more? Trouble is, how does Rayann find out? Not only is the age ga
angie
May and December have never been so lovely. Beautiful, extremely moving and just plain wonderful, Touchwood is the kind of story that is both deep and mature and makes you wish you could find someone like Louisa in real life.

It can be a bit frustrating at times when Louisa and Rayann fail to effectively communicate with each other, especially in the beginning, but it's also 100% believable.

As a complete softie for May/December romances, I love the dynamics between the two main characters and h
Deborah
I love Karin's writing style. TOUCHWOOD is a sample of the depth of her characters - and of course some spice.
Sgpowers
This is the very first lesbian fiction book I read when I was coming out. It felt like home!
Bib
An enjoyable May-December lesbian romance.
Yoly
A very sweet May-December romance. The story felt a little dated with the mention of diskettes, yikes!
Amanda
My favorite Karin Kallmaker book so far.
JT
Age is a state of mind.
Mina
I won this book for free through Goodreads First Reads! Thanks Goodreads!
Robin Gunning
My all-time favorite by Karin Kallmaker.
Spooky
Spooky marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Ceejei
Ceejei marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Christie Chorbagian
Christie Chorbagian marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Lyn Lethe
Lyn Lethe marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Natalia Paredes
Natalia Paredes marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Carola
Carola marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Ivy
Ivy marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
  • Artist's Dream
  • Turning the Page
  • Turn Back Time
  • Love in the Balance
  • Out of Love
  • Infinite Loop
  • Skin Deep
Karin Kallmaker has been exclusively devoted to lesbian fiction since the publication of her first novel in 1989. As an author published by the storied Naiad Press, she worked with Barbara Grier and Donna McBride, and has been fortunate to be mentored by a number of editors, including Katherine V. Forrest.
In addition to multiple Lambda Literary Awards, she has been featured as a Stonewall Library
More about Karin Kallmaker...
Unforgettable Painted Moon Wild Things The Kiss That Counted All the Wrong Places