Start by marking “Touchwood” as Want to Read:

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  385 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Twenty-nine-year-old Rayann Germaine, betrayed by her lover, flees in grief and rage. She meets book store owner Louisa Thatcher, a woman many years her senior, who offers shelter and work... and soon, passion, and a loving place in her life.

But Rayann encounters challenges to this new love—from friends who question its wisdom, from her mother who disapproves of this liais
Published December 1st 2003 by Bella Books (first published April 10th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Touchwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touchwood

Tipping the Velvet by Sarah WatersFingersmith by Sarah WatersAnnie on My Mind by Nancy GardenKeeping You a Secret by Julie Anne PetersFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Lesbian Fiction
71st out of 1,228 books — 1,453 voters
And Playing the Role of Herself by K.E. LaneWaiting in the Wings by Melissa BraydenJericho by Ann McManHow Sweet It Is by Melissa BraydenThirteen Hours by Meghan O'Brien
Best F/F Romance Books
110th out of 602 books — 424 voters

More lists with this book...

My, my. What a beautiful book. I now understand why Touchwood is a favourite for many readers. I stepped so deeply into this story I feel like I have spent the afternoon in Louisa and Rayann's bookstore. The May-December romance is met with the appropriate amount of fear and challenges but what impressed me the most about Touchwood was hearing about the challenges lesbians faced in their personal and professional lives in the twentieth century.

Kallmaker does a masterful job of educating and rem
I've come to the same conclusion as Bib, this is "An enjoyable May-December lesbian romance."

Rayann, a 30-something wood sculptor, is viciously betrayed by her girlfriend. She runs away and finds refuge in the upper apartment of a woman who runs a small bookstore. The woman is old enough to be her mother, but Rayann feels strangely attracted to her. Is she just on the rebound? Is she just starved for intimacy? Or is it something more? Trouble is, how does Rayann find out? Not only is the age ga
May and December have never been so lovely. Beautiful, extremely moving and just plain wonderful, Touchwood is the kind of story that is both deep and mature and makes you wish you could find someone like Louisa in real life.

It can be a bit frustrating at times when Louisa and Rayann fail to effectively communicate with each other, especially in the beginning, but it's also 100% believable.

As a complete softie for May/December romances, I love the dynamics between the two main characters and h
I love Karin's writing style. TOUCHWOOD is a sample of the depth of her characters - and of course some spice.
This is the very first lesbian fiction book I read when I was coming out. It felt like home!
An enjoyable May-December lesbian romance.
A very sweet May-December romance. The story felt a little dated with the mention of diskettes, yikes!
My favorite Karin Kallmaker book so far.
Age is a state of mind.
M. Donner
3.5/5. Published in 1991; still holds loads of spark. The time frame brings light to LGBTQ+ issues of the 90's (and earlier), which was fascinating to learn about.
I won this book for free through Goodreads First Reads! Thanks Goodreads!
Robin Gunning
My all-time favorite by Karin Kallmaker.
Ludivine Wilcz
Ludivine Wilcz is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2015
Bianca marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Calliope marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Lucy marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Gray Long
Gray Long marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Jonathan Olson
Jonathan Olson marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Kendra marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Nurul added it
Nov 04, 2015
Danielle marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
  • Artist's Dream
  • Fresh Tracks
  • When Dreams Tremble
  • Wild Abandon
  • Skin Deep
  • Warrior's Valor (Supreme Constellations, #3)
  • Aftershock (Shaken, #2)
  • Love in the Balance
  • Stranded
Karin Kallmaker has been exclusively devoted to lesbian fiction since the publication of her first novel in 1989. As an author published by the storied Naiad Press, she worked with Barbara Grier and Donna McBride, and has been fortunate to be mentored by a number of editors, including Katherine V. Forrest.
In addition to multiple Lambda Literary Awards, she has been featured as a Stonewall Library
More about Karin Kallmaker...