Start by marking “The Ever Breath” as Want to Read:
The Ever Breath

The Ever Breath

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  137 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Truman and twin Camille follow tunnel from new Gran Swelda's basement to her twin Ickbee's magic land where locust fairies flutter and firebreathers burst from snowbanks. The Ever Breath amber orb has been stolen, and the balance between the two worlds is breaking down, evil taking over. Will the mouse and ogre help or hinder the war?
Published December 22nd 2009 by Delacorte Random House (first published 2009)

Ann
Jan 19, 2010 Ann rated it it was amazing
Twins Truman and Camille have been deserted by their father. Now their mother is leaving them for three weeks with their paternal grandmother Swelda, whom they’ve never met and only know from her disappointing gifts of soap and ChapStick. Things look up when Swelda turns out to be weird but cool. When she tells the twins an entrancing tale of the Ever Breath, a mystical force inside an amber globe that protects our world and the Breath World, a world of fantasy and dreams from which our Fixed Wo ...more
Ian Mellark
Jan 14, 2014 Ian Mellark rated it liked it

The Ever breath
Por Julianna Baggott

Truman y Camille son gemelos en unas vacaciones estarán en casa de su abuela paterna ya que su mama tiene que trabajar y su padre esta desaparecido. Pero no todo es normal en casa de su abuela! Ahí existe un portal a el Ever world un mundo en donde todas esas criaturas de nuestros sueños viven, pero el Ever breath (una "piedra" que mantiene el equilibrio entre el Ever world y el mundo normal) ha sido robada!!! Truman y Camille entenderán su herencia verdadera,
An Odd1
Dec 10, 2015 An Odd1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
"There is no going backward. Only forward" p 19. "Love can make you do things you never thought you'd do" p 180. Some phrases seem common sense, others not. "Who had buttons on their pajamas anymore?" p 44. Anyone and everyone?

Truman Cragmeal has many medical problems - "allergic to a lot of things" p 3, "thick lenses" p 4 on glasses, asthma, hives - "complete opposites" p 5 to twin Camille. Their dad vanishes; next month kids sent to deteriorating family house on golf course.

Tunnel in Gran Sw
blueneon
Jun 06, 2010 blueneon rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ever Breath is a short, whimsical fantasy. Within the first few pages I was captivated and quickly drawn into the magical world of Ever World. After the mysterious disappearance of their father, twins, Truman and Camille Cragmeal, end up staying with their Grandmother Swelda who lives on Swallow Road in a house in the middle of a golf course!

From Swelda, Truman and Camille learn the truth about their family. The world we live in is the Fixed World, and then there is the magical world of the E
Eva Mitnick
Jan 08, 2010 Eva Mitnick rated it liked it
Shelves: children, fantasy
Long, long ago, the world was inhabited by all sorts of folks and creatures, magical and mundane, before it was split into two worlds. Our world is the Fixed World, a place of no magic but whose creativity and imagination derive from our proximity with the Breath World, where all the magical creatures live. The worlds are connected by the Ever Breath, which resides in a passageway and has been guarded since time immemorial by a special family with ties to both worlds.

Twins Truman and Camille lea
Steph Su
Dec 27, 2009 Steph Su rated it really liked it
THE EVER BREATH surprisingly and happily brought me back to memories of days when I devoured books by Eva Ibbotson, Roald Dahl, and the like. Young readers about to move past too-easy chapter books will eagerly swallow up this old-fashioned kid-versus-evil adventure tale.

Truman, Camille, and almost all of the characters are remarkably well developed. Truman, with his countless allergies and medical problems, manages to find his place in the Breath World, while his tough-exterior sister learns th
Brenda
Jun 29, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Wonderful Fantasy Adventure
Recommended to Brenda by: Cover Art drew me in
Shelves: fantasy
Everbreath is a short fantasy adventure with plenty of twists and turns. After the unexplained disappearance of their father, twins, Truman and Camille are brought to their Grandmother Swelda who lives in a house on a golf course! How cool is that. Probably not as much as you would imagine, given that the golf balls hit the roof and the windows are boarded up. It is at this house that the children learn about their ancestors and the Fixed World and Breath World are explained. It is not surprisin ...more
Shelly Jebe
This story features Truman and Camille and their adventures in a magical world adjacent to ours. Their father has left them and they go to stay with their grandmother, only to discover she is a guardian of an ancient portal between our world and its magical counterpart. They enter this world to discover that the ever breath, a magical force that maintains balance between both worlds, has been stolen and their father has gone to get it back. The twins learn about themselves and their strengths as ...more
Jennifer Heise
Jul 29, 2014 Jennifer Heise rated it liked it
(view spoiler)
Kristine Hansen
Jul 23, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
If you're looking for fantasy full of twisted fairy tales that wander between two worlds, look somewhere else. While this has the elements, the story itself feels cliche and doesn't have a lot to offer. From my point of view as an adult, I feel like this book talks down to children somewhat, and can be confusing.

This book was advertised as something readers of Harry Potter and the Series of Unfortunate Events. Honestly? You'd be better off re-reading those.
Dawn
Feb 12, 2010 Dawn rated it really liked it
This book is another one about two worlds: one with magic and one with very little magic. It involves twins (very different) and a rescue attempt. I look forward to the sequel coming up in Fall/2010. I have found that I like all of Julianna Baggott's books that I have read, and am now reading ones she wrote under another name: N.E. Bode.
Emily
Feb 13, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it
Valeriecluff Cluff
Jun 01, 2010 Valeriecluff Cluff rated it it was ok
a cute magical story, but not very developing, compared to other fantasy books. One in a series, interested read, more simplified probably for a younger audience. But it was still okay. I will probably read the sequel when it comes out, but I am in no rush.
Geneva
Nov 19, 2011 Geneva rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
The story takes on good vs. evil and leads children to question start quesitoning if those who label themselves as good are really the good ones and if the rebels are truly evil. The story is engaging and action paced. Can't waite to read the sequel.
Chantel Acevedo
Mar 11, 2011 Chantel Acevedo rated it it was amazing
A sweet and imaginative novel about a magical world existing parallel to ours. But dig a little deeper, and this novel serves also as a commentary on the use of fear as a way of controlling people. Give it to a smart kid in your life!
bunnybri7
Aug 04, 2013 bunnybri7 rated it it was amazing
was looking forward to the sequel but it looks like cabbot has lied. I have looked everywhere. at the library on this website at the ebook store etc. cant find it and very dissapointed. :( however this first book was very good.
Catherine
Sep 18, 2014 Catherine rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, fantasy
The Ever Breath was OK. I had a hard time getting into this book. It is an adventure book with a magical element.
B
Nov 08, 2011 B rated it really liked it
Short fast-paced fantasy about twins whose father disappears into a magical world,the Breath World.
The children enter this world of dragons, ogres, talking animals to save their father and the "Ever Breath"
Gapeach
Cute otherworldly story. The last page says to find out what happens next in "The Ever Cure" coming fall of 2010 but I can't see that it was ever written, too bad it was a really fun family read.
Rebecca
Aug 31, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was ok
The concept of the story is interesting but to much of a children's book for my liking. I bought this book because I read the pure series by the same author which I enjoyed better.
Oghafoerkhan
May 31, 2011 Oghafoerkhan rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This is a book that I'm really going to enjoy reading to my daughters in a few years, when they're eight and up. Funny, witty, and fast-paced.
Rhonda
Feb 12, 2010 Rhonda rated it liked it
i liked it. read it in one session. cant wait for the next one. liked the characters. the world was believeable,
Terri
Jan 17, 2010 Terri rated it liked it
she has a random writing style....a little here and then a little there...felt disjointed at times
Angela
Sep 03, 2010 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: kidsbooks
Unusual. Obviously the start of a series. Not sure if I'll follow up.
Tiffany
Mar 10, 2010 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Unique book. Page turner. Looking forward to the sequel.
Naomi
Great fun. Looking forward to the sequel.
iLa
Dec 27, 2011 iLa rated it liked it
Great young reader book.
PWRL
Jan 25, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
O
Olivia Holland
Olivia Holland marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Magicalamity
  • Magical Mischief
  • The Path of Names
  • The Dragon in the Volcano (Dragon Keepers #4)
  • Thomas and the Dragon Queen
  • The Merman and the Moon Forgotten (Nikolas and Company, #1)
  • The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes
  • The Ink Drinker
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • The Abominables
  • Alvor
  • Shadowland (Brotherhood of the Conch, #3)
  • The Hidden Boy
  • Under the Green Hill
  • The Wizard's Scepter (The Keepers, #3)
  • Princess of the Wild Swans
  • Hocus Pocus Hotel
  • When Santa Fell To Earth
Connect with Julianna Baggott on Facebook:

Check out the new novel -- PURE

Also writes under the pen names N.E. Bode and Bridget Asher.

Critically acclaimed, bestselling author Julianna Baggott is the author of eighteen books, most notably her recent novel PURE, the first in a dystopian trilogy, a New York Times Book Review's Editor's Cho
More about Julianna Baggott...