Start by marking “Transcend: Nine Steps to Living Well Forever” as Want to Read:
Transcend: Nine Steps to Living Well Forever

Transcend: Nine Steps to Living Well Forever

In 2004, Ray Kurzweil and Terry Grossman, MD, published Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever. Their groundbreaking book marshaled thousands of scientific studies to make the case that new developments in medicine and technology will allow us to radically extend our life expectancies and slow down the aging process. Soon, our notion of what it means to be a 55 ...more
Published (first published April 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Transcend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transcend

DJ
Aug 04, 2009 DJ rated it liked it
Shelves: gift, health
Biological forms, I have grave news. Our worst fears have been confirmed... the most viable current path to a longer, healthier, and happier life involves vegetables, exercise, sleep, and vitamins. And unlike most roads in the US, there's not a single McDonalds or Starbucks along the way...

The main thesis of this book is: the human race is pretty damn close to crafting technologies that will overcome our biological shortcomings and allow us to live forever as machine-enhanced androids stuffed wi
Nikki
Feb 09, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
Ray Kurzweil, famous technologist and futurist, believes that by the end of this century the human lifespan will have increased to 500 years due to advances in technology. This book is a health and lifestyle book designed to show you what to do now so that you can survive long enough to make it until those advances come about (he claims 2029 is the year!) He's a brilliant guy, I have no doubt, however this book didn't have anything new to say. If you read health books you're already aware that y ...more
Ryan
Jan 11, 2011 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several books on fitness and nutrition and this has been one of my favorites. The basic premise is that medical technology is advancing so rapidly that if you can live long enough to reach the major breakthroughs of the next few decades, you can live forever.

Although their predictions for immortality seem quite a bit too optimistic for me, it's still very interesting. The majority of the book is about how to stay healthy and actually live long enough to reap the benefits of the future.
Bruce
Oct 19, 2013 Bruce rated it liked it
The book has a lot of information on supplements and behaviors that might be useful in extending life. However, I've come across two news releases in the past few days which have denounced the value of supplements, cautioning that our "supplement obsession" could actually be harmful. One study was a meta-analysis of the effects of Vitamin D for bone health in seniors. It concluded that there is no benefit at all from Vitamin D. Another study was on multivitamins, again a meta-analysis, and it co ...more
Mark Chadbourn
Aug 21, 2013 Mark Chadbourn rated it it was amazing
Want to live forever? This is the book for you. That may sound like a fatuous statement to accompany some woolly, magical thinking guide, but everything here is based on the latest scientific studies (all referenced, if you don't want to take the authors at their word). Indeed, Kurzweil is a leading scientific philosopher, best-known for his writing on the coming technology singularity. Grossman is a doctor.

How can you live forever? It's a simple equation. In the 2020s, biotech advances will ext
Dan
Dec 04, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing
Kurzweil and I have birthdate that are within one month of each other. He is working on staying around long enough to make use of new technologies that will prolong life. I would like to do the same.

The book is quite inspirational. We have all grown up with the idea that death is inevitable. Could there be an escape from death? Ray Kurzweil says "Yes."

The technologies for life extension described by Kurzweil sound like science fiction. I can remember when the Dick Tracy wristwatch was science fi
Angela Shurina
Jan 31, 2016 Angela Shurina rated it really liked it
The book is a good source of actionable information to improve health and longevity. I love that there is a system. Each chapter has its purpose and a plan for us readers to start applying the information. Lots of science also (would overwhelm anyone who is not into science and didn't learn how to scan and skip).
It talks about all the basics and some advanced things. Makes you aware of where health/longevity technology is going.
Why 4 stars? I guess I expected more from Ray Kurzweil. Something ex
Carlos
Aug 08, 2014 Carlos rated it it was amazing
I love how Kurzweil explains the complex in such a beautifully simplistic manner. In this book he outlines a plan to hack our biochemical processes to live long enough to reap the benefits of future technology that'll allow us to live forever.
Ivan
Aug 19, 2016 Ivan rated it really liked it
Just leaving a short note to find it suddenly in ~7016 year.
Good: no recommendations without full explanation of how it works; many repeats of good practices.
Romans Karpelcevs
This is the first life style/nutrition/medical book I've read and I found it very useful. A lot of actual actionable advice on long-term health improvements with reasonable explanations.
Of course, I hardly believe in the overall premise of living forever (or even more than 100 years), and I found their faith in medical + hitech science that will be discovering and using so many new tech in medicine so quickly pretty delusional. It takes decades for govenments to approve things even after success
Eduard Omusoru
Jan 01, 2017 Eduard Omusoru rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech, sport
I had a small ideea about some points presented into this book, but I didn't thought the things are so bad. I was sure about the ezercise, about a healthier way of life, but didn't imagine we have to go so far untill installing some air filters, water filters, prevent cancer as beeing a constant run of it.

This book is really a treasure and using it I hope that I can fix at least a small part of this broken world. ;)
Jaroslav Tuček
Feb 13, 2016 Jaroslav Tuček rated it liked it
Having read and enjoyed Fantastic Voyage, I expected a lot from Transcend. In several aspects, the book is a marked improvement upon its predecessor - gone are many of the controversial suggestions (eg. alkaline water), gone is Kurzweil's crazy-overhead supplementation regimen, the exercise suggestions have been improved (albeit not much) upon the ridiculous recommendation to stick with fast walking. Sadly, the authors did not leave out their futuristic visions - I certainly did not appreciate t ...more
Pat
Sep 06, 2011 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The use of "Future Ray" and "Future Terry" is a bit corny and the loads of information on supplements, diets and novel medical diagnostics can be a bit overwhelming. I'm not enough of a medical expert to know whether following their "TRANSCEND" plan is any more likely to add an extra healthy decade or ten to your life than the dozen other low carb (slow carb / south beach / eaters' manifesto / blue zone / mediterranean etc) diets out there, but it was an interesting read. Kurzweil never hesitate ...more
Chris Logan
Oct 08, 2013 Chris Logan rated it it was amazing
After Reading a previous Kurzweil book, I expected this book to be different than it was.
I expected a book about very radical things a person could/should do to extend their life. In Kurzweils "the singularity is near" some of his most extreme positions seem to revolve around life extension.
Instead, this book seemed to compile a large number of studies and recommendations that I had already heard in other places. It reminded me of dozens of small things I could/should do to decrease my odds of p
Lee Richardson
Jan 03, 2015 Lee Richardson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
This book was O.K. Like some other Kurzweil books, he really catches your attention with some insane predictions. However, it was a little troubling the way in which he came to all of his conclusions about what was healthy, continually citing "current research", and hoping we'd trust it. I guess from a statistical perspective, I would want to know if the studies he's based these things off were randomized, as it's hard to trust current research findings nowadays.

Other than that qualms, this boo
John Orman
Nov 27, 2013 John Orman rated it really liked it
A thorough and interesting program to optimize our health is developed in this book.

How to live life to the fullest is presented by super-technologist and futurist Ray Kruzweil and medical doctor Terry Grossman.

In short--the keys to living long and prospering are:

Talk with your doctor (Prevention and Early Detection)
Relaxation
Assessment
Nutrition
Supplements
Calorie reduction
Exercise
New Technologies
Detoxification

Each topic is explained in much greater lengths in the book, with symptoms to look out
Christina
Dec 27, 2009 Christina rated it liked it
Don't trust men to come up with diets that include enough heme iron for the woman of childbearing age. I somewhat agree with the arrangement of Kurzweil and Grossman's novel food pyramid, but many women have an iron deficiency and the prescribed diet won't help with that. The book deserves its three stars for the introduction of ubiquinol, vitamin megadosing guidelines and the exercise component, although apparently the book budget couldn't afford both a man and a woman performing exercises. Thi ...more
Rob
Jan 12, 2013 Rob rated it really liked it
In the "Singularity is Near" Kurzweil convinced me that if I avoided accidents there was a chance I could have an extended lifetime thanks to advances in technology. In "Transcend" he explained in great detail how to stack the deck in my favor for staying as healthy as possible. Thanks to Ray, I have an extremely optimistic outlook for the future!
It turns out this fits my philosophy of live each day like it's your last but treat everybody and everything like you will live with them forever!
John Broussard
Jul 13, 2013 John Broussard rated it it was amazing
Quick review: best health book I've read that covers all of the most important aspects of health and aging. They approach health as slowing and reversing aging of body and brain. I think this perspective/paradigm is the best way to approach one's health.

Well researched and explained. Takes a multi-pronged approach, as one should when discussing health. The body has many, many factors that determine your health

Must read, I recommend using as a blueprint for keeping your body healthy.
Evan Snyder
Dec 22, 2009 Evan Snyder rated it liked it
This book is interesting, but you can really get a good bulk of its immediately and broadly useful information by reading my friend DJ's synopsis/review. (He has distilled it straight to its essence excellently and I feel like I could not add much value with my own rehashing.) Pick up the complete book to read a chapter about specific health concerns.
Daniella
Oct 01, 2013 Daniella rated it really liked it
The ideas presented in this book are good, although the fact that the author pops 150 odd pills a day in an effort to prolong his life tells you a lot about his philosophy.

Personally, life is about quality rather than quantity, but I think the author's fear of death is his primary motivator.

Interesting health 'facts' although I'm sure most will be laughed at as false by future more advanced generations.
Marjorie Turner
Mar 09, 2014 Marjorie Turner rated it really liked it
My health and wellness .. my responsibility. Top three for me: exercise, enough sleep and jettison the sugar. Got some other good ideas from this book about supplements, where to target my cholesterol, etc. levels; and my new goal to reduce my waist/hip ratio. I enjoy Ray Kursweil's thoughts on technology - and I'll be watching how the medical field will evolve in the next years. Ray's ideas are definitely futuristic.
Vicki
Feb 27, 2014 Vicki rated it liked it
Comprehensive coverage of the life style changes that someone may partake to improve the quality and span of their lives. The dietary suggestions are very accurate and complete. The book, however, is overly optimistic regarding possible future scientific discoveries and their impact on human health. Several important factors such as the role of the sunlight exposure are only briefly mentioned and need deeper coverage.
Carrie
Mar 26, 2014 Carrie rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed how this book was laid out, although the futures selves of the authors was a bit strange, it was a quick and easy way for them to tell the reader what medical advancements they predict in the near future. However far fetched they may sound. The science behind what and how we should manage our health in the present is very sound and similar to all the other reading I have done on the subject. I plan on using it as a handy manual to manage my current health needs.
Amber
Aug 18, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it
Very cool, and very practical. It really makes me think about my health in a very broad sense, and has actually made me make concrete changes to my habits. I would recommend this to anyone who is truly interested in living healthfully and longer. I'm totally going to try out some of the recipes, too!
Nic Brisbourne
Aug 31, 2011 Nic Brisbourne rated it it was amazing
"Good book this - combing both lightweight science on how life is getting longer possibly infinitely so, with practical advice on how to slow the ageing process and keep the body and mind young and feeling good.

It has got me thinking we might be on the cusp of a consumer driven health revolution. The establishment is very slow picking up on new tech."
Craig Martin
Jan 26, 2011 Craig Martin rated it really liked it
Great book. If you lift out all the science-fiction, this boils down to a how-to for proactively managing your own health. Lots of practical (though not always easy to heed) advice, along with the science to back it up. I recommend this to anyone who is staring down the barrel of middle age with a little fear about it.
Peyton
Jun 30, 2009 Peyton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, brain-science
Ray Kurzweil is one of the great inventors and scientists of our time. He invented the Kurzweil Reader, among other things. This is his newest book. In it, he summarizes current information on health and longevity, but he also predicts a rapid growth in nanotechnology. He thinks that nanotechnology, as applied to medicine, will be the key to immortality.
Ryan
Jun 08, 2009 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-process
Haven't read it cover to cover, but I've read the chapters that I think are relevant to my personal situation, and I regularly search for things in the Kindle version.

Started my own supplementation program based on the information in here, and tracking stats, they seem to be improving.
Adam Miller
Apr 14, 2014 Adam Miller rated it liked it
This book really didn't cover anything that most people wouldn't already know if you've kept up on the latest info, it does offer great advice for someone just wanting to improve health but I think its been written mostly for people already over 40.
  • Ending Aging: The Rejuvenation Breakthroughs That Could Reverse Human Aging in Our Lifetime
  • 10% Human: How Your Body's Microbes Hold the Key to Health and Happiness
  • Robot: Mere Machine to Transcendent Mind
  • The Traveler's Key to Ancient Egypt: A Guide to the Sacred Places of Ancient Egypt
  • Networks of the Brain
  • The King's English
  • In Our Hands: A Plan to Replace the Welfare State
  • Radical Evolution: The Promise and Peril of Enhancing Our Minds, Our Bodies -- and What It Means to Be Human
  • Athenaze: An Introduction to Ancient Greek Book I
  • Nanosystems: Molecular Machinery, Manufacturing, and Computation
  • SEAL Survival Guide: A Navy SEAL's Secrets to Surviving Any Disaster
  • How to Piss in Public: From Teenage Rebellion to the Hangover of Adulthood
  • Inventing the AIDS Virus
  • The Transhumanist Reader: Classical and Contemporary Essays on the Science, Technology, and Philosophy of the Human Future
Raymond Kurzweil is an inventor and futurist who has published books on health, artificial intelligence, transhumanism, and the technological singularity.
More about Ray Kurzweil...

“you create your brain from the input you get.” 7 likes
“In the latest brain image studies, we can see real-time movies of individual interneuronal connections actually creating new synapses (connection points between neurons), so we can see our brain create our thoughts and in turn see our thoughts create our brain.” 2 likes