Start by marking “Otomen, Vol. 5 (Otomen, #5)” as Want to Read:
Otomen, Vol. 5 (Otomen, #5)

Otomen, Vol. 5 (Otomen #5)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  1,011 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Ryô est sélectionnée à son insu pour représenter les élèves de première au Nadeshi-con : l’élection de la femme japonaise idéale organisée par le lycée Ginyuri. Sa principale concurrente, Miyabi Oharida, secrètement amoureuse d’Asuka et lauréate des deux dernières éditions du Nadeshi-con, lui déclare alors ouvertement la guerre. L’élection serait-elle en train de virer au ...more
Published May 13th 2009 by Delcourt (first published April 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Otomen, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Otomen, Vol. 5

Lesley
Mar 10, 2010 Lesley rated it really liked it
*____* This volume was FABULOUS! Warning - this review is kind of long.

5 volumes in we're pretty settled with the premise. It took me a while to look past the cuteness and the humor, but this fluffy shojo manga is actually kind of cutting edge and culturally significant, at least considering Japan's rather strict traditional gender roles. Sure, yeah, manga is full of gender-bending, cross-dressing, and other gender confusion (and I love it), but I realized last night that this one is a little di
Viridian5
Feb 10, 2010 Viridian5 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa
Volume 4 was all inconsequential filler, so I'm glad to see the story moving forward a bit again. There's even a big segment starring Ryo, which I appreciate since the series covers Asuka's and Juta's thoughts thoroughly while leaving Ryo a cipher beyond her "manly" yet kind ways. I still don't know if she's completely clueless of Asuka's feelings for her or pretending not to notice because she doesn't think of him That Way and doesn't want to talk about it. The author notes that the Ryo segment ...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Finally getting around to catching up with manga series I should be reading instead of starting new series. Anyway, it was nice getting back to this series. The art is pretty good and the cover art is pretty.

This volume was good as you get used to the story and its premise and wonder what will happen with Asuka now. While at the same time, you feel for the guy and wonder when those two will get together.

Either that, or I really should not put off series I'm currently reading. Though I kind of
Sesana
Apr 18, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit more story than in previous volumes. There's the ideal woman competition, which Ryo enters despite being a tomboy. There's Juta's secret as a shojo mangaka nearly being exposed when his alter ego wins a manga prize. And then there are the beauty samurai, a pretty silly story that teases at being serious, by possibly starting to deal with Asuka's absent father. Still light, fluffy, and fun, and I'm glad that Ryo had a more starring role in this volume.
Jay McCue
Dec 22, 2016 Jay McCue rated it liked it
Had the ideal woman competition in this volume. And I wasn't a huge fan of that portion of the story, to be honest.
Jocelyne
Oct 24, 2016 Jocelyne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
October 2016: 4 Stars
Such a sweet volume! I loved the first chapter, and the new samurai arc. I'm excited to learn who the mysterious stranger is in the next volume, though I have my doubts.
Marsha
New challenges await Asuka and his friends in this fifth volume in the “Otomen” series. Ryo is surprised by a local competition for the ideal woman and a vicious rival who’ll stop at nothing to win it—and Asuka as well.

Ryo’s reactions remain rather understated. While she does her best to win the competition and freely acknowledges her shortcomings in various areas (as a tomboy she lacks grace, deep knowledge of cooking, ikebana [flower arrangement] or tea making), she doesn’t seem unduly upset
Serene
Oct 13, 2013 Serene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, reviews, shoujo, comedy
Otomen has been giving me some mixed signals with its message. It tells me "This is what the ideal woman is, that is what the ideal man is. Men shouldn't do this, and women shouldn't do that. But it's okay to be different. Be who you want to be, not who others want you to be. Be proud of yourself." So yeah, kinda contradictory there. Normally, I would be able to look past this confusion without too much difficulty, but the message is the main reason I'm reading Otomen. It addresses a topic, gend ...more
Sophia F
Amy Keeley
Jul 03, 2014 Amy Keeley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Like some other series I've read recently, Otomen only gets better with time. The characters have been gaining more depth, and the focus, though still on the romance, has begun to spread outward to other characters in a way that makes me smile.

For example...

This volume starts off by focusing on Ryo and her abilities, which I felt was a nice change of pace. The more I find out about her, the more I like her, and the more I want her and Asuka to end up together at the end.

I was also really pleased
Rebecca Ann
Feb 23, 2013 Rebecca Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
These volumes progress so slowly, with so much rehashing of character motives and backgrounds, yet I love them. It's kind of like a tv show where you feel like you know the characters and they just make you laugh. The end chapter of this volume suddenly speeds up, though, and we have two new developments. Asuka gets to do what he loves in disguise as one of the samurai stylists, and he meets a tall woman who looks suspiciously like him. I'm thinking its his father who changed genders. Gosh I lov ...more
Georgina Howlett
Oh my god. This is probably my favourite volume of Otomen yet! So much happened in here and there was tons of development - the beauty samurai, learning about Asuka, the contest was so funny to read about... Then there were the antagonists of the story - and the ending, wow! I do wonder ant out the guy with the sunglasses. Is he who I think he is? Or is he just a spy or something? God, I can't wait to read volume six. I just wish I owned it already!
Candice Snow
Jun 14, 2014 Candice Snow rated it it was amazing
This series is so fabulous I can't even stand it.

I laughed way too hard when (view spoiler)

This one got TONS of laughs from me. Now that adequate character development has happened, I just find all of their antics that much more hysterical.
Amy
Mar 26, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
I normally don't like to read books out of order ... and manga is no exception. However, due to random events, I ended up with vol. 5 in a series. Otomen means a "girlish guy" & the main character, Asuka, likes sewing & other "girly" activities. Asuka feels he must hide his beloved hobbies ... even from the girl he is falling in love with.

I am curious to pick up vols 1-4 now!
Michael (Mai)
Dec 16, 2014 Michael (Mai) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super cute read again. It was really nice that the story actually progressed this time since in volume four it seemed a bit stagnant (although still cute).

The feminist side of me disagrees with so much stuff that happens in shojo manga (like an ideal woman contest) but I still like it.
ArdnAskelA
Sep 13, 2012 ArdnAskelA rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, bibli-paris
"Les Princes de la Beauté" quel beau titre pour ces deux fameux otomens ! Dommage qu'on n'a pas plus de pages de couleurs dans les mangas.. J'aurais voir en couleur les passages des princes ^^
Kimberly
Feb 24, 2010 Kimberly rated it it was ok
Pretty average.
I guess I was kind of disappointed by the fact that every single plotline that just might be good ends up with a crazily happy ending and practically everyone is content. Really?
Cathy
Sep 28, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Favorite chapter - How far Juta will go to protect the dreams of girls (with help from Jonouchi Mira).
Susan
Feb 24, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
CROSS-DRESSING SHOUJO MANGAKA!!!

Kanno-sensei, you so crazy. Although, really, how is Juta ever going to explain this to Asuka?
Cindy
Nov 11, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I think that this book is funny and this book is about a boy likes cute things and I think that i is really weird for a boy is good at fighting but he likes girl stuff.
Kereesa
Dec 24, 2013 Kereesa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of OHC
Recommended to Kereesa by: Isabel
4 for you Kitora, you go Kitoya!

And none for anybody else.

(Well, okay, but none for Yamato)

3.5-4/5
Kristen
Ten bucks I know who the person at the end of the novel is...
Glad to see things are starting to get more interesting. I'm curious how Ryo and Asuka's relationship is going to change.
Alyssa
May 03, 2016 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Pretty funny plot on here! More in Ryo (finally!) and Juta which was hilarious! There's sort of a cliffhanger which hasn't happened in the series, so looking forward to the next one.
Mariah
Aug 19, 2015 Mariah rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Hehe, this book was wonderful. An ideal women's contest, the revival of the beauty samurai - this book made me smile an awful lot. I loved it.
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2010
Natalia Soldevila
Natalia Soldevila rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2015
JkW
JkW rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Kate Ling
Kate Ling rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2010
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2012
Star
Star rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2014
  • Crazy Girl Shin Bia Volume 19
  • Love Mode, Vol. 7
  • Cat Street, Vol. 3 (Cat Street #3)
  • Basara, Vol. 2
  • La Corda d'Oro, Volume 5
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 6
  • Happy Café, Volume 14
  • High School Debut, Vol. 08  (High School Debut, #8)
Aya Kanno (菅野 文; Kanno Aya) is a Japanese shōjo manga artist. She is the former assistant of mangaka Masashi Asaki of Psychometrer Eiji fame. Her debut was in the January 2001 issue of Hana to Yume with Soul Rescue. Thus far, her work has only been serialized in Hakusensha's shōjo manga anthologies: Hana to Yume, The Hana to Yume, Hana to Yume Plus, and now primarily in Bessatsu Hana to Yume, in w ...more
More about Aya Kanno...

Otomen (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Otomen, Vol. 1 (Otomen, #1)
  • Otomen, Vol. 2 (Otomen, #2)
  • Otomen, Vol. 3 (Otomen, #3)
  • Otomen, Vol. 4 (Otomen, #4)
  • Otomen, Vol. 6 (Otomen, #6)
  • Otomen, Vol. 7 (Otomen, #7)
  • Otomen, Vol. 8 (Otomen, #8)
  • Otomen, Vol. 9 (Otomen, #9)
  • Otomen, Vol. 10 (Otomen, #10)
  • Otomen, Vol. 11 (Otomen, #11)