Start by marking “Feminista” as Want to Read:
Feminista

Feminista

Sydney Zamora is fiercely independent, aggressively opinionated, and utterly self-made. She’s reshaped her body (into the perfect sample-sale outfitted size 6, thank you very much), organized a life for herself as a celebrity journalist at hot magazine Cachet, and strides through the canyons of New York City like she owns them. There’s just one problem: Sydney is so strong ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by St. Martin's Press (first published August 12th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Feminista, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feminista

Carolyn
Apr 25, 2010 Carolyn rated it liked it
This novel basically follows Sydney Zamora on her quest to find a husband in New York City. That’s it…basically. All right, all right. Sydney represents (arguably) today’s American citizen: her father was an Afro-Cuban lawyer and her mother’s a socialite of Irish descent. She’s a celebrity writer for one of New York’s top women’s magazines and has the wardrobe to rival Carrie Bradshaw’s, although Sydney bought most of hers on sale.

She might very well represent today’s American woman: focused on
Hannah
Jul 18, 2016 Hannah rated it liked it
Low key hate myself for reading this, but it was a solid chick lit relatable book from a cheap library book sale that I sped through in five days. Unclear whether it's totally self aware or totally not...
Lauren Cecile
Mar 17, 2016 Lauren Cecile rated it liked it
Good book. Her book, Bling, was also very good. Unfortunately Ms. Kennedy died a few years ago so we can no longer be entertained/enlightened by her unsung talent.
Ciara
Jan 28, 2010 Ciara rated it it was ok
i really didn't get this book (another from the library, thank god, not that i have ever been known to drop money on chick lit). i think it was supposed to kind of be a parody, of both chick lit & chic lit, but it's hard to tell, because it concluded like every other book of the genre. i was drawn in by the fact that "feminist" was in the title, & i was definitely intrigued by the fact that main protagonist, sydney, is a woman of color. there is a real death of women of color ...more
Nakia
Mar 01, 2010 Nakia rated it it was ok
This book had its ups...and many, many downs. It's much longer than it should be and I have to be honest and say that had it not been for the book being a bookclub pick, I would not have finished it. I actually ended up being the only one in the entire club that was able to finish. lol I must admit though, had my bookclub associates read a little bit longer, they would have enjoyed it enough to push through. The first and 2nd parts included too much detail and not enough action (Sydney's best ...more
Kristin
Feb 04, 2010 Kristin rated it did not like it
Admittedly, I couldn't finish this book. I got halfway through and was completely turned off by the characters. Feminista was perhaps intended to be a critique of "chick lit", but it practices the genre while looking down its nose at it. A self-proclaimed feminist protagonist, Sydney, objectifies and scathingly insults other female characters based on their appearance, social status, and the men with whom they associate. And while claiming to deplore high society women, Sydney moves among them i ...more
Marquetta
Sep 29, 2009 Marquetta rated it it was amazing
Sydney Zamora is an independent, no nonsense type of woman. She sees committment and marriage as traps that women fall into. There's no way that a woman can have it all - career and marriage. Something has to give. She believes that once you're married, you lose your identity as a woman. She goes through life trying to avoid this trap by dating highly inappropriate men. Like every heroine, she eventually meets her match in Max who shows her that you can have possibly have it all.

I absolutely LO
Amy!
This book is charming and thought provoking, and though Sydney is kind of awful most of the time, she feels very real and relatable. She comes off not as a one-dimensional shrieking shrew, but as a fully realized human with many facets, and I fell in love with her a little bit.
Amy
Apr 03, 2015 Amy rated it liked it
Sydney would never be a real success in her mother’s eyes as long as her ring finger was bare, but that was Vera’s hang-up, not hers. Marriage was not an accomplishment. When were women (most of whom felt that way, whether they’d cop to it or not) going to get that through their heads? Crossing the finish line in a marathon. Becoming a cardiothoracic surgeon. Winning an Oscar. Those were accomplishments. Getting married was just a (hopefully) happy fact of life.
Ditto for having kids. There was n
Nancy Williams
Sep 26, 2016 Nancy Williams rated it did not like it
What was a potential cute story was ruined with poor writing. Too many side stories which were irrelevant to the story, an unlikeable main character and no chemistry created between the couple. I would not recommend this book.
Shannon
Aug 20, 2014 Shannon rated it it was ok
The only reason I gave this book two stars was because it kept me hooked- I never wanted to put it down. For some reason, which I can't put my finger on, I found myself enjoying this book. Again, I have no idea why or how I enjoyed this book.
To start off, this book was just poorly written in my eyes. There were grammatical errors and a lot of times it just didn't make sense. It was definitely just a pass the time kind of book.

Sydney is a "feminist" fashionista who can't keep a man to save her
K.L. Brady
Dec 24, 2009 K.L. Brady rated it really liked it
Syndney Zamora is one helluva woman—hell being the operative word. She’s a sharp-tongued, take no prisoners, self-made single woman in the city with a Helen Reddy perception of the world--I am woman, hear me roar! And honey, boy can Sydney roar! Unfortunately, her roars usually scare off most men—and some women—who deign to attempt to penetrate her tough exterior.

After breaking up with her most recent loser and exasperated with the whole dating scene, she decides ask her sister for assistance i
Bg
Nov 12, 2009 Bg rated it liked it
Though I don't normally pick up these types of books where the characters are making more money then I am and complaining about how their living when their buying Marc Jacobs and Vesache, I can honestly say this was an okay book.
Sydney Zamora, was sharped tongued, afro-cuban new yorker, has been having problems when it comes to her love life. So after realizing that she's sick of dating guys who don't plan the resturant bills and only give her 'somewhat' satifsying sex, she asked her younger sis
Mel
Sep 20, 2012 Mel rated it really liked it
I like Erica Kennedy. I loved Bling. I am saddened that we won't get be graced with anymore of her writing. With her passing earlier this year the literary world lost a talent. I liked this novel a lot. Liked the cultural references (pop and otherwise)and the fact that it was based in NY. It was funny, and I could truly relate to some parts. But, I am wondering how I liked it so much when I couldn't stand one of the main characters. Sydney was annoying, aggressive, and abrasive. How can you ...more
Candace
May 08, 2011 Candace rated it really liked it
Sydney is an multi-culti celebrity journalist who decides that her biological clock is ticking and she needs to do something about it. With the help of a matchmaker to the rich and bourgeois, Sydney embarks on a journey to find Mr. Right. Sydney finds out, however, that not only is she a tough match, but her preconceived notions and biases are about to be challenged.

Feminista is a witty, dramatic account of a single gal in the city on the hunt for success, love, and the perfect Marc Jacobs bag.
Lisa
Aug 30, 2010 Lisa rated it it was ok
Alice
May 29, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it
Don't be scared by "Feminist" in the title!

I found this an incredibly fun read. The protagonist shares a lot of my cynical views about "chic lit," which made her easy to relate to despite her convenient views on feminism and sometimes spoiled-brat attitude.

Sydney Zamora is a well-rounded, fun character. She isn't easy to like, but it's easy to see why Max does. He's not perfect, either, but their imperfections line up just the way they should in these types of books. The ending seemed a little t
Nisha
Dec 29, 2011 Nisha rated it it was ok
Can I just say that I thought Sydney was absolutely hilarious? She was so crazy. I loved her, because she was so self-involved that she didn't realize all of the things wrong with her (and there were plenty). I love these type of flawed protagonists. Sydney really isn't someone you would pick out as a good person per say, but she doesn't realize because she's keeping it real.

It's the story itself that makes this a two star review. It goes on too long, there's too much going on, and towards the
Eliza
May 30, 2014 Eliza rated it liked it
I was trying to decided between 2 and 3 stars - I only went with three because I did like the characters. This book starts slooooooow, picks up in the middle (which was great for my recent flight) and then grinds to a slow predictable halt at the end. I've read better chick lot but I truly did enjoy all characters - the stubborn single girl who subconsciously destroys every relationship she ever attempts, the rich guy masquerading as a commoner, the gay BFF and the witty matchmaker that blends ...more
James Eckman
Jun 24, 2016 James Eckman rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Reminds me a bit of a modern, somewhat funnier F. Scott Fitzgerald. Sydney, a woman with a serious shopping fetish, has a killer job but her biological clock is ticking. Can she overcome her feminist self and become subservient enough to land a wealthy and otherwise horrible husband? Most of the rest of the characters are celebrity trash or the idle rich with a few exceptions and are fairly shallow folk.
Lilli
Nov 10, 2009 Lilli rated it it was ok
Reading this book was exhausting. I needed more dialogue and less of the petty details. I understand that this is "chic lit", but really there were passages where I thought "just get to the point already." This is the second chick lit book I've read in the past 6 months where I hated the main character. Sydney had a Mt. Everest-sized chip on her shoulder and it never went away. Honestly, Max was too good for her.
Jacques
Apr 13, 2013 Jacques rated it it was ok
Man, oh man...Erica Kennedy is someone I adore, but when I tell you this book was a damn challenge. It was filled with hilarious characters, but the over-detailing of minor things, and the slow development of the plot just made things even more difficult. Luckily, I still have 'Bling' as one of my favorite works before Erica Kennedy passed away, as this book just didn't cut it.
Monshi P
Jun 25, 2013 Monshi P rated it liked it
It's better than anything Candace Bushnell has ever written, though I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I think that there were some scenes in the book that were unnecessary, and that could be because Kennedy was trying to tie in the plot to The Taming of the Shrew too much. But all in all, it was an enjoyable read. Just longer than it needed to be.
Vee
I LOVED this book! What an amazing read with a "you don't know what is next" plot flow! It will make an AMAZING movie! I love the all the characters. I love how it was in tune with real situations that have played out in the media. Sydney (main character) was infuriating and lovable at the same time....
Michael
Jul 04, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I howled while reading this book. I had seen it before, but wasn't compelled to read until learning of the death of the author. I saw a lot of myself in the title character, while at the same time remembering why my women friends can make me feel so exhausted. A must read. Get it!
Oct 22, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
It's not you, it's me.

This book has a strong female character, a predictable ending but a not-so-predictable in between, and I still went 'meh.'

I think you might be the last chick lit book I read...for awhile.
Martine
VEry funny book. I had a good time reading about Sidney and her crazy attitude. I really felt bad for her with the Jerome situatiuon- and the end product with Candi!!! Oh and the interview with teh Raven was heart breaking, lol!! A ver fun read.
Melissa
Apr 07, 2010 Melissa rated it liked it
This could be really good. The author has created a believable character that captures a personality seen often in life but rarely in books. However, her transformation was messy and unbelievable.
Jen
Mar 09, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
Probably the closest I'll ever get to chick lit. Not bad, at least it appealed to my feminist side and did seem to be in tune with women my age. But still chick lit when it comes down to it.
Trinicia
Jun 02, 2014 Trinicia rated it it was ok
The story was too way out there and unbelievable for me. Only finished it because I always have follow through on a book.
  • Substitute Me
  • The Healing
  • Waiting in Vain: A Novel
  • Beastly Desires
  • Renee And Jay
  • Would I Lie to You? (Nappily, #2)
  • Baby Bumps: The Almost, Barely, Not-Quite-True Story of Pregnancy, Bed Rest and One Batshit Crazy Family
  • The Bum Magnet
  • Wicked City (Zephyr Hollis, #2)
  • I Dream of Zenia with the Bright Red Teeth
  • The House of Discarded Dreams
  • Girl Most Likely to
Erica Kennedy was an African-American author, blogger, news correspondent, fashion journalist, and singer. Her 2004 novel Bling became a New York Times bestseller. In 2010, she was named to the list of 100 most influential African-Americans, as published by Ebony Magazine and known as the "Ebony Power 100".

Her father died when she was 17 years old. Her mother, Mary Mobley Johnson, was an interior
More about Erica Kennedy...