Start by marking “Firefly Beach” as Want to Read:

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  2,417 ratings  ·  332 reviews
Paranormal Cozy Mystery

When Beth LaMonte rents a cottage on the coast of Maine, she wishes only to withdraw and paint. A mysterious ball of light disturbs her peace and leads her to a secret beach where she finds the diary of a girl who disappeared in 1975. Now Beth is on a mission, not only to bury her own past, but to put to rest the spirit of Firefly Beach.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Firefly Beach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firefly Beach

LORI CASWELL
Beth is having a terrible time. Her 40th birthday is quickly approaching, her mother died the previous December from a heart attack, right before Christmas, and her husband asked her for a divorce in January.

The divorce was finalized in May, her husband moved out months ago. Beth was boxing up her things to move to an apartment when she came across several paintings. Paintings she had done when she was a junior in high school. She had planned to go to an art college in Boston, maybe moving to a...more
Carrie Middleton
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
LOVED IT!!!

No more crunching numbers....only a serene life filled with painting and relaxing. That is what Beth thought she would find when she moved to Virginia Point Cove.

What she did find was many sad, lonely residents, a very unpleasant landlord, a jeweler who never spoke more than two words, a couple with a nosey wife, and a firefly that talked to her....yes a firefly. The firefly seemed to summon Beth with his wings and body turns. He frightened Beth at first until she realized he must be...more
KyBunnies
I am apologizing in advance for this horrible review I am going to write. I have a sinus infection that will not go away.

During the first chapter this book will just wow the reader. I had a very hard time putting this book down. It was simply amazing. Luckily I got to read this book before I got sick. Since being sick, I have not wanted to read anything. My brain just cannot concentrate on the words or the plot.

This book has one main character and several minor main characters. The main charact...more
Stacy {Texas Reader}
The synopsis doesn't do this book justice. It is an emotional tale, and quite the journey for more than just Beth and the Firefly. This was one of those "deal of the day" ebook emails I get, and it seemed interesting enough to give a try. Honestly, the first 25% of the book didn't quite keep my attention, the author had a way of overly describing the scenery (but I skimmed thru that).
Once Beth starts reading the diary, my attention was hooked 100%. The journey isn't only about the Firefly, it's...more
Susan Ashcraft
When Beth Lamonte was a junior in high school she had cherished the dream of going on to an art college in Boston after graduating high school. She wanted to live of off her paintings, selling the shoreline and lighthouses paintings that she adored doing. But somehow along the road to adulthood, reality and a need for order and money intervened and she took a scholarship in New Mexico and earned her CPA. After time she believed this to be her true calling and her paintings where packed away and...more
Beth
This book desperately needed an editor to clean up clunky and repetitive language and suggest some cuts for the often draggy and too long description. The timeline of the story was implausible and while there was growth in the character, it was a little stilted. The storyline was fine and has potential, and I did finish it. I analyzed as I read, however, and was not swept away by the story at any point.
Kathleen Kelly
Firely Beach is a story of a lonely divorced woman Beth, who decides to leave her former life after the death of her mother and move to the coast of Maine. There she rents a cottage and wants nothing more than to paint and maybe make a living while she is at it. That does not happen though at first because on her first night she sees a light that she thinks is just a firefly. It is not a firefly though but an other worldly entity. After she finally figures out what the light wants of her, she fo...more
Melissa Levine
Simona
It has been a while since I have read a really good paranormal cozy mystery book! Because that what "Firefly Beach" was: a really good and awesome book!

The main character of the book, Beth LaMonte, decides to move on with her life after she goes through the divorce with her husband, and so she moves to the coast of Maine where she wants to start her life again and also concentrate on painting.

The place she moves to is a welcoming one, having both kind folks but also strange ones.

Beth's confort i...more
Anita
Beth moves from AZ to Maine. From married. From number cruncher to artist, painter. from emotionally bound and exhausted thru curious and angry to resolution.
This is a wonderful mystery.
Our heroine not only finds the facts and finds resolution for her own past, she helps others along their way, and reunites family members.
Abigail is my favorite character. Older woman. Meeting people's needs. Selling Kennys jewelry creations in FL. Pulling Rod into the circle gathered at the graveside. Loving...more
Clarissa Simmens
Comparable to my favorite tea, Russian Caravan, the story is smokey, aromatic, full-bodied and utterly delicious from the first sip—or page--to the last. Evoking a melancholy mood, mystery and a sense of upheaval, Firefly Beach equally engenders a calmness that permeates the pages no matter the action.
Mica
This is one of those books where I finished and thought, "Wait, was that the climax?" The characters just didn't interest me, so I felt pretty uninspired to follow or care about their stories. By no means was the book poorly written, but it was just a bit...bland.
Linda
Newly divorced accountant Beth leaves the world of stress and numbers behind, moving to Maine to pursue her dream of becoming an artist. As she settles into her rented cottage, she begins to become acquainted with the colorful residents of Virginia Point Cove, each with his or her own set of eccentricities and foibles. No sooner does she move in than Beth finds herself with a strange new "friend", which she at first takes to be a firefly but then realizes it's a strange little orb of light that...more
Yvonne
Beth LaMonte is in an emotional turmoil. Her beloved mother passes away and then her husband leaves her. She needs time to be on her own and away from her troubles. She pursues her dream of being an artist and rents a cottage on the coast of Maine. It appears to be the perfect place for peace and quiet, but she soon learns that’s not to be.

The townspeople are definitely an eccentric group. Her landlord is the town grouch, the jeweler is a recluse and her new friend is the local gossip. Then ther...more
Kari
May 02, 2012 Kari rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amanda
Shelves: favorites
**4/4.5 Stars** (I am up in the air as to 4 stars or 4.5 stars... I will think on it and fully decide at a later date)

Amazing book! The author did a great job depicting the setting for the story. It made me want to go back to the B&B in Camden, ME again. I could perfectly visualize the town, The Cove, and Firefly Beach.

The book is a beautifully written mystery with a little supernatural thrown in. I was actually worried about half way through the book when the mystery seemed to be wrapping...more
Lisa Norato
Firefly Beach drew me in until I could not put the book the down. The mystery kept me guessing right to the very end. Its characters haunted me, making me feel their heartbreak, filling me with emotion and sometimes tears and causing me to keep thinking about them even after I had finished the book, as if they were real people and not fictional characters. This story is very unique and creative, unlike any mystery or paranormal I've ever read. I highly recommend Firefly Beach and say don't miss...more
Melissa

Beth is ready for a change, and when she settles into a small town in Maine, - she encounters interesting people that make her feel welcome ( along with a mysterious firefly ).
The firefly leads her to a beach and a mystery that takes Beth along many twists and turns.
I was captivated by the first page with this story of young romance, family and a beach that holds secrets.

This is a wonderful story and I really enjoyed it!

Disclaimer: I was given a copy of this book from the author for my honest re...more
Pam
Firefly Beach, kept me riveted to my kindle. The story revolves around Beth, a recently divorced woman who has moved across the country for a new start. She is not prepared for the new start that finds her. With the help of a supernatural and very persistent firefly, she will face off with a troubling past, hers and others in her new hometown. Anyone who likes mysteries, coming of age stories and self-discovery stories will enjoy this story.
Pamela Jo
Mike
If I can use the term "beach read" affectionately, I'll apply it to Firefly Beach. The book never asks too much of its readers; the writing is simple and fluid, and the plot is easy to follow.

Pentermann creates characters who are developed enough to be believable, but not complex enough to cause mental strain. Back stories attach themselves only to the main figures. After some initial prejudice, I grew to appreciate almost-forty protagonist Beth LaMonte and the personal catharis that grows out...more
Jeanne Jenkins
This was a great read. Beth got divorced and moved to Main. She decided to take up a new profession, painting. She met new friends, new state, new everything. Along the way, she also met a firefly, yes, a firefly. It took her on an adventure from 35 years ago. Beth decided to do some detective work and really got caught up in it. This will take Beth to places and emotions that surprised her and will surprise you. This was a great read!!!
Michelle
There are no words for how well written, thought provoking, and overall amazing this book is. Though I wish there would have been more focus on the romance developing between Kenny and Beth, I can only thank my lucky stars I got this as a freebie and pray for a sequel. I don't think there's any reader, spiritual or otherwise, whose heat won't be touched by at least one aspect of this book. No spoilers...go out and read it! You won't regret it.
Nelta
"Firefly Beach" tuned out to be an entertaining read.....This book evoked so many emotions.....sometimes starting over in a new environment is just the beginning to healing...Beth finds herself solving a mystery, making new friends, taking chances and coming to terms with her own life....would have liked more from Beth and Kenny...a sequel?
Susan
This is one book you will have a really hard time putting down with flowing action that keeps going. Firefly Beach will keep you guessing as to what will happen next right to the ending. Meira Pentermann pens her characters with style and believability which leaves you totally satisfied.
Mariah
I wasn't sure from the book description if I would like it or not. The idea seemed a little hokey, but it came together nicely. It also did not take the easy way out in tying up loose ends at the end. A lot of thought was put into the way the book ended and I really enjoyed it.
Jbella
Absolutely loved this book! I also believe in angels too though. Is was partly real life, and who knows if this could not happen. Life is not always as it seems and one needs to believe in things one can not always see. Anyone with an open mind will enjoy this book.
Susan
LOVED this book. A quick read (I gobbled it up in about 5 hours) but I couldn't put it down. Very entertaining, fun characters and set in Maine. The author captures all of the idiosyncrasies of small town Maine when an outsider moves in. And a very engaging mystery.
Paula
Beth is at a crossroads in her life. Her mother has passed away and she and her husband are both workaholics. They divorce and Beth decides she just needs to get away from everything. Maybe she will pursue her painting. She rents a cottage in a small town in Maine. As she's settling in, she sees a firefly. It seems to be leading her somewhere. She discovers a private beach and a diary of a girl who was 17, 35 years previously. She decides to try and find the owner of the diary.

I thought this was...more
M.L. Gardner
About a year ago, I picked up a copy of Meira Pentermann’s “Firefly Beach” at my mother’s recommendation. The title alone intrigued me enough to immediately begin reading. After her mother’s death, a divorce and a looming 40th birthday, Beth Lamonte uncharacteristically decides it’s time to make drastic changes. She abandons her old life and travels to Virginia Pointe, Maine to rediscover herself and a decades old dream. When a mysterious firefly flits about Beth’s room in an apparent attempt to...more
JoAnn Wells
Firefly Beach

I did enjoy this book, the story was interesting and kept me reading. I wasn't wowed by the characters in the book. Nothing in the read made me want to follow any of them. They stayed basically strangers to me including Beth the main character. I found her difficult to cozy up to. Despite her being a wounded women I couldn't gather up any sympathy for her, she just wasn't likeable enough. It seemed to me there was no real warmth in her. She screamed and cried and felt sad but pretty...more
Reading in Maine: "Firefly Beach", by Meira Pentermann 1 4 Mar 04, 2014 02:07PM
  • Apocalypse Island
  • What We Saw
  • Unintended Consequences
  • Deep Fried and Pickled (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #1)
  • In Her Shadow
  • Swan Loch
  • Completely Restored
  • The Butterfly Forest
  • Bad Games: A Novel (Bad Games Series, #1)
  • Absence of Grace
  • WISHBONE...Be Careful What You Wish For
  • A Death on the Wolf
  • Forsaken
  • Crazy in Paradise (Paradise, #1)
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • The Guestbook (Madrona Island, #1)
  • A Provencal Mystery
  • Grayson Manor Haunting
I am an avid reader and author of three novels. I love mysteries, fantasy, young adult, children's, and dystopian science fiction.
More about Meira Pentermann...
Nine-Tenths Firefly Beach Sarah and the Magic Mayonnaise Jar Neun Zehntel (Deutsch) (German Edition)

“morning,” 0 likes
“She put the lid on the garlic salt and returned it to the kitchen. There, she opened the curtains and was greeted by a thick fog that enveloped the forest. She could barely see the boulder at the edge of her yard. She felt somewhat comforted by the fact that sleeping in had not caused her to miss anything. She would not have been able to sketch the bed and breakfast after all. Nonetheless, she resolved to make the best of the day. She decided she would sketch” 0 likes