Start by marking “The Spirit, Book Two” as Want to Read:
The Spirit, Book Two

The Spirit, Book Two (The Spirit #2; issues 7-13)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  235 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Darwyn Cooke - the visionary creator of the acclaimed DC: The New Frontier - turns his attention to the classic Will Eisner creation THE SPIRIT.

The Spirit, Ebony, Commissioner Dolan and his daughter Ellen are reintroduced in this go-for-broke, shoot-the-lights-out collection of crimes stories filled with action, adventure and humor. In these thrilling tales, Cooke maintain
Published September 29th 2009 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit, Book Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spirit, Book Two

Blindzider
Jun 16, 2016 Blindzider rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Slightly mixed review. There are multiple stories in here and some of them are not done by Cooke at all. A couple of those were decent, at least one was terrible. Of the ones that Cooke did, he wrote and did the initial art for it, while Jeff Bone did the finishes. You can see a slight difference, and it feels slightly more cartoony but you can still see Cooke's hand in it.

As for the stories, they were much better. Issues 2 and 3 continue stories from the first volume and are pretty good. Issue
Oliver Hodson
Apr 19, 2015 Oliver Hodson rated it really liked it
I like el morte and the link back to the spirit's 'birth'. I liked that the girls all got another layer of development, although i'm not sure if things were 'kept light' or just unnecessary with the frequent insta-smooches between our erstwhile hero and the dames. Even without the gap issues and the fill in artists (who weren't bad by any means) this one just eked out 12 issues. I still will read a bit more of my archive editions, but it did get to feeling like degrassi 2.0 in a story sense, as ...more
Benjamin
More of Cooke's take on the Spirit, but a little less satisfying to me. The title pages aren't so inventive; some of the stories seem less fun; and two of the issues are broken up into stories by other artists/writers, with mixed results. For instance, Jimmy Palmiotti and Jordi Bernet's "Synchronicity" is a cute story with a nicely matching cartoony style; while Kyle Baker's "Hard Cell" is a muddy, sex-crazed noir that doesn't really work for me. That said, the last story is the brilliantly (nea ...more
Alex Ham
Jan 26, 2016 Alex Ham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc
My general review of Volumes 1 and 2 of The Spirit (Darwyn Cooke's run): https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Joe
Jun 03, 2016 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"have you noticed there are two types of girls around here?"
Matej
Oct 26, 2015 Matej rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have reread this collection of The Spirit, which collects 7 single issues, and I think I liked it as much as the first time I read it.
Most of the stories are good and fairly simple, exception being the El Morte 2-parter and Sand Saref issue, which are excellent.
The art looks wonderful, except for some of the shorter stories, that featured different creative teams, that just did not fit the mood of the rest of the collection.
Overall, a fun and a quick read, with a few really excellent stories.
Chris
Mar 22, 2014 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
A fun but unremarkable title.
Loyd
Nov 12, 2009 Loyd rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: classic comic fans
Shelves: graphic-novels
Darwyn Cooke is one of the few contemporary artist-writers that really "gets" The Spirit and presents a satisfying modern spin of creator Will Eisner's sensibilities. This volume has some fine work by other artists (Chris Sprouse, Eduardo Risso, Kyle Baker), but it's Cooke that really understands the character. New characters like newscaster Ginger Coffee and villains such as El Morte could have been conceived by Eisner himself.
James Elkins
Though I didn't actually read the book, I just read the individual issues that are in this collection and those were some of the best reads I've had in years. The true crime was that DC didn't beg Cooke to continue. Of course if he had we may not have gotten his excellent Parker adaptations.
Jake
Aug 19, 2011 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, nypl, dc
Light comic fun. The best stories were the two-parter about Alvarro Mortez (El Morte) and the story about Sand Saref. I read a collection of original Spirit stories by Will Eisner a while ago, so it was fun to read the characters I knew in tales told with more modern story telling techniques.
Bob Collins
There were some really good art in this second set of The Spirit's most recent iteration. But there was also some so-so, a little too cartoony art, too. Eisner's art, and that of his collaborators, was almost always amazing, almost cinematic. The art in these stories were inconsistent.
Chris Walker
Apr 27, 2012 Chris Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, pulp-noir
It is a real shame Darwyn Cooke stopped writing and drawing The Spirit. The second volume continues where the first left off with a combination of spooky supernatural plots and crime stories, all with a unique brand of fun.
John Yelverton
Apr 27, 2012 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an absolute delight to read. Darwyn Cooke takes extra care to make sure that he's true to the original source material, and it shows.
Robert Blanchette
It's a good, clean superhero comic. The stories are OK and the hero, well, isn't too super. But it's still a good read.
Anthony
Jan 24, 2010 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There seems to be less Cooke in this ensemble book. It's good, but not as good as the first 6 issues.
Jamil
Oct 16, 2008 Jamil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
i like the cooke style. the sand saref tale at the end should have ended the book, like it did his run.
Ed
Mar 17, 2009 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphix-comix
The first book was amusing and assorted, this appears to be more of the same.
Robert
Aug 21, 2011 Robert rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Concepts and presentation both felt dated.
Michael
Mar 12, 2013 Michael rated it liked it
Pretty good!
Garrett
Garrett marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Mario
Mario marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Henry
Henry marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Wayne Rée
Wayne Rée rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Wayne Rée
Wayne Rée rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Marcus
Marcus added it
Jun 04, 2016
Lauren
Lauren added it
Jun 03, 2016
Federico Kereki
Federico Kereki rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2016
Joe
Joe is currently reading it
May 30, 2016
Daniel Taylor
Daniel Taylor rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Wednesday Comics
  • Superman vs. Muhammad Ali
  • JSA: The Golden Age (Justice Society of America)
  • Final Crisis: Rogues' Revenge
  • The Best of the Spirit
  • Green Arrow/Black Canary, Volume 1: The Wedding Album
  • JLA: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Batman: Death and the City
  • The Brave and the Bold, Vol. 1: The Lords of Luck
  • Catwoman, Vol. 4: Wild Ride
  • The Dark Knight Strikes Again, Vol. 1 (Batman DK2 #1)
  • Batman: Faces
  • Batman: Death Mask
  • Batman: Birth of the Demon
Darwyn Cooke was an Eisner Award winning comic book writer, artist, cartoonist and animator, best known for his work on the comic books Catwoman, DC: The New Frontier and Will Eisner's The Spirit.

In 1985, Cooke published his first comic book work as a professional artist in a short story in New Talent Showcase #19, but economic pressure made him leave the career and he worked in Canada as a magazi
More about Darwyn Cooke...

The Spirit (5 books)