Start by marking “The Surrogates: Flesh and Bone” as Want to Read:
The Surrogates: Flesh and Bone

The Surrogates: Flesh and Bone (The Surrogates #2)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  30 reviews
In a dark, downtown alley in Central Georgia Metropolis, a juvenile prank goes too far and a homeless man is killed. When the ensuing investigation reveals that the attackers aren't who they appeared to be, justice depends on the testimony of a single missing witness - a street snitch with a history of providing information to a cop named Harvey Greer. Harvey is placed on ...more
Published August 18th 2009 by Top Shelf Productions

To ask other readers questions about The Surrogates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surrogates

Brooke
Flesh & Bones is a prequel to the original Surrogates. Compared to the first book, F&B focuses less on the themes about society and perfection and instead shifts into action mode. We see the beginnings of the Dread community, what caused police departments to move to all-surrogate forces, the play-by-play of the murder trial mentioned in the first book, the main character's first encounter with his wife's surrogate that proves to be her downfall years later.

It's interesting and well-wri
Joshua Palmatier
I read The Surrogates because of the movie with Bruce Willis. The graphic novel and the movie were two completely different stories in the end and I enjoyed both. One of my main complaints about the original graphic novel, though, was that the story didn't feel as deep as it could have been. The idea of the world, of people using surrogates to live their lives, to keep them safe and to give them the freedom to live out some of their fantasies, is just too good and too perfect. It opens up a HUGE ...more
Steen Christiansen
A prequel to *The Surrogates* we find a young Harvey Greer about to become detective, while trying to solve the murder of a 'boner' (non-surrogate user) by three kids using their parents' surries. Much of the attraction of this comic comes from exploring the past history or origin of Greer and seeing his first reaction to surrogates and the way the world adapted to surrogates in the first place. More parenthetical in exploring the surrogate concept than the original, *Flesh and Bone* still provi ...more
Rachael
I picked this up before realizing it was a prequel, and although it lays the groundwork for more story, it stands alone well. In the year 2039, three teenagers take their parent's robot surrogates - the form and size of normal adults, which are controlled remotely from their safe, warm, middle class homes - for an evening romp and beat a homeless man to death. Cop Harvey Greer stumbles into helping on this case shortly after his sergeant’s exam and taps into his local informant about the murder, ...more
Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted illegally.)

Not too long ago I gave a favorable review of the 2006 graphic novel The Surrogates, by Robert Venditti and Brett Weldele, eventually adapted into a high-profile Hollywood actioner starring Bruce Willis; just to remind you, it posits a reality where Second Life has been made physical, and where a growing
Cale
This prequel to The Surrogates explains the events that happened around the Dreads riot of 2039. Focusing on Greer before he's become a detective, it's the story of his first big case, as well as setting into play all the other major characters of the later series. It works really well, actually; adding another layer of detail to The Surrogates itself while also standing well on its own. The art is the same style, managing to be evocative and dreamlike at the same time.
Joe
Sep 30, 2009 Joe rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all graphic novel fans
Shelves: graphic-novel
Spectacular prequel to The Surrogates. Most of the original storyline nuances explained and a new society has its genesis in Georgia of all places (surprisingly not New York, DC, California or a foreign nation). The decision to do that alone was innovative and thought provoking; it still has the same brilliant graphics that flow effortlessly with the storyline and the same characters--or rather their 15 year younger selves and it's controversial and sweetly action packed. What more could you wan ...more
Loyd
Robert Venditti and Brett Weldele's The Surrogates Volume 2: Flesh & Bone is a prequal to the original Surrogates book. It's the time before surrogates are ubiquitous, an in-between time where no one quite knows what effect they'll have on society. A police officer who want to make detective finds himself investigating a group of rich teenage boys who have stolen their father's surrogates and used them to thrill-kill a vagrant.

The Surrogates: Flesh and Bone is a classic sci-fi set-up for st
Marsha
Surrogates just begin to make their appearance in this book and a crime that kills a homeless man points out just what happens when human morality doesn't keep up with technology.

This book is a prequel to volume one but came after it, presumably because the creators thought the concept needed a little more backstory. It's an excellent beginning (followup?) because it traces mankind's eager acceptance of this new technology even as it aggressively points out its hidden dangers.

Mankind doesn't evo
Brandy
A prequel to the original Surrogates, Flesh and Bone focuses on a patrolman investigating a murder committed by three teenage boys joyriding in their fathers' surrogates. The case is mentioned a few times in the original, so this is filling in the back story.

Really not a whole lot of explanation of the society that wants these surrogates; they're just a new technology that people are embracing, not radically different from, say, an iphone today--the sort of thing that makes life easier but hasn'
Mark Desrosiers
Only three decades hence, a large corporation is making mad money off these "surrogates" -- fully-functional robots that can do the nasty, work your shift, act as police, you name it. But of course, these "surries' are fully controlled by obese twitchy humans sitting at home and getting rectal fissures or whatever. This plot starts with a murder, involving a surrie piloted by a kid, and enlarges into a fun (often hilarious) train-wreck featuring a detective n00b and a new Jesus (not a surrie), l ...more
Gef
It wasn't until I had this book in my hands that I realized it was a prequel, rather than a sequel to the original Surrogates graphic novel. And having read this one, I may have a fuller appreciation for the events and universe depicted in the original, but I didn't come away from this one with any sense that I'd learned anything--shall we say--new. In fact, if not for a key scene at the end of this novel, I'd encourage readers to check this one out first before reading the original, as at least ...more
Wipqozn
Every bit as good as the first.
Virginia
I enjoyed the prequel far more than the original. However, perhaps it is because I already had the world-building part of the experience done and all that was needed was to have the interesting back story gaps filled. There really is no way to separate that out. So, I enjoyed this story and seeing how things progressed in order to give us the world in the first Volume. Plus, it was fun to catch the clues to the future. As before, I enjoyed the artwork and the supplemental materials most.
Phil
In all of the graphic novels that I've read, I'd have a hard time remembering a story that was better written than The Surrogates series. The dialogue is sharp and spot-on. Without much tedious backstory, Robert Venditti does a fantastic job of pulling the reader into this futuristic world, all the while avoid a contrived feel that's ever so evident in a lot of science-fiction.

(Read full-review at http://www.philduncanwrites.com/?p=566)
John Roepke
While not quite as in depth and thoughtful as The Surrogates; the second volume, The Surrogates Volume 2: Flesh & Bones, was certainly still worth reading. It's an excellent look into the back story and events leading up to original and has a lot of good action sequences that are really well drawn. I would say this is well worth adding to any Sci-Fi geek's collection.
Lara
Another interesting story, this time involving the investigation of the murder of a homeless man by a group of kids joyriding in their parents' surrogates. I really like Brett Weldele's art, and the little bit of depth added by the accompanying newspaper articles, etc. And I always find comics that don't have any superheroes in them very refreshing--ha!
Manny
Not as good as the original "Surrogates" but a great opportunity to revisit that world in prequel-form. In many ways, it functions as an extended epilogue that fleshes out the backstory. The two books really form one whole and should probably be read (perhaps even published?) in that way. Still highly recommended.
Rosie
It was just as engaging as the original. There was somewhat more political puppetry this time around, more awesome depth and insight into the characters I loved from the original. Another beautifully moving tale in the same spirit as that which came before it.
Bradley
I recently read "The Homeland Directive" by Robert Venditti. I enjoyed it so much that I needed to seek out more of his work. The Surrogates series is okay. It didn't draw me in as much as "The Homeland Directive" but it was still a good read.
Mabomanji
Un saut dans le passé pour voir les origines. Le tout est justement limité car on sait déjà ce qui va se passer. Graphiquement cela ressemble moins à de la peinture sauvage mais plus à du travail sur ordinateur, on y perd au change.
Shannon Appelcline
A very nice prequel with interesting ethical and moral issues. Also does a good job of setting up the earlier series (though at times it sticks a little too close to its source material).
Mark Flowers
I'll only say that I loved this graphic novel. For more of my thoughts, you'll have to wait for my review in School Library Journal.
Russell
Interesting, edgy prequel. I really like the writing and the art is unique and provides the perfect counterpoint to the story.
Debbie Zappen
A very nice presequel that fleshs out the details of events that led up to "The Surrogate" vol.1
Curtis Chen
Very talky and prequel-ly, but I always like it when the cops win (at least in the short term).
Jason
I really, really enjoyed this story. Fresh, thought-provoking, intelligent.
Jesus
Aug 09, 2011 Jesus added it
Flojillo, no aporta demasiado a la historia original. Prescindible.
Peter
Again, good sci-fi. Poignant social commentary with great artwork.
Cecile
No wow moments, not boring either. Just ok.
  • Sleeper: Season One
  • FreakAngels, Volume 2 (FreakAngels, #2)
  • How To Go To Hell
  • Market Day
  • Road to Perdition
  • Prophet, Volume 2: Brothers
  • Northlanders, Vol. 6: Thor's Daughter
Robert Venditti is the New York Times best-selling author of The Homeland Directive and the sci-fi graphic novel series The Surrogates, the first installment of which was adapted into a feature film. He currently writes the ongoing monthly comic book series X-O Manowar, Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, Green Lantern, and The Flash. His debut children's novel, Miles Taylor and the Golden Cape: Attack ...more
More about Robert Venditti...

The Surrogates (2 books)
  • The Surrogates
The Surrogates X-O Manowar, Vol. 1: By The Sword The Homeland Directive X-O Manowar, Vol 2: Enter Ninjak Green Lantern, Vol. 4: Dark Days