Start by marking “Rose (Bone)” as Want to Read:
Rose (Bone)

Rose (Bone 0.5)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  3,113 Ratings  ·  253 Reviews

The hit comic book mini-series Rose now comes to you in a single handsome package with a brand-new cover! Released over a yearlong period to rave reviews (and an Eisner nomination for best painter), the Bone prequel by Jeff Smith and Charles Vess can now be read as it was originally intended - as one massive epic.
In the old days, when BONE'S Gran'ma Ben was a teenager, a

Published August 1st 2009 by GRAPHIX (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Rose, please sign up.

Kendall Moore Its actually a prequel to the main story arc of Bone, that being the rise of the Lord of Locusts. Also, it gives a fantastic back story for the…moreIts actually a prequel to the main story arc of Bone, that being the rise of the Lord of Locusts. Also, it gives a fantastic back story for the character of Grandma Ben as well as showing the origins of the conflict with the Rat creatures in Bone.(less)
Charlene It's better to read the Bone series before you start on Rose - while this book focuses on the origin story of Rose and Briar Harvestar, Bone gives a…moreIt's better to read the Bone series before you start on Rose - while this book focuses on the origin story of Rose and Briar Harvestar, Bone gives a better explanation of the major events that happen as the story unravels - including a dreaming religion - that tie into the story you're about to read. (less)

Patrick
Dec 17, 2014 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Visually and tonally very different from the original story. But well worth your time if you enjoyed bone.

This has more of a faerie tale feel to it than the original series, both in the art, and in the meat of the story itself. And because of that, I might have actually enjoyed it more than Bone.

That said, I wouldn't advise reading it alone. It works best as a prequel read *after* you've finished the original series.

Mario
Wow, the art in this one really blew me away. It was so different than art in original Bone, but it's a prequel. It make sense that they changed it.

Would definitely recommend this to anyone who read and liked Bone series. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
Daniel
Mar 16, 2015 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Odlicna prica. Treba malo vremena da se prihvati novi art style u odnosu ma klasican Bone ali posle toga na momente bude jos i lepse u nekim delovima, narocito u prikazima zmajeva.

Naravno iako su nam i sami likovi kao i situacije poznate iz glavnog serijala, nacin na koji je sve prikazano je ipak i originalan i odlican.

Svaka preporuka narocito za ljubitelje Bone srijala mada ako i to niste citali slobodno procitajte posto je prica ipak zaokruzena celina.
Amanda
Mar 27, 2016 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a prequel for a series I've not read, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I found the story to be fairly standard. I wanted to love the illustrations, but Vess seemed to inconsistently draw his characters' faces, especially Rose. And the design of the Great Red Dragon seemed incongruous with the rest of the world's design. I did like the background and landscape illustrations, though.
Jerome
May 08, 2012 Jerome rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Smith first began Bone in 1991, and it's clear he still loves it, despite ending the series in 2004. He hasn't lost any steam over the ensuing years (he continues to do some of his best work in his ongoing, not-for-children series Rasl), and he is still visiting the world he created in Bone. Other books are in the works, but he's just recently released Rose, along with Charles Vess, who handled the painting.

Rose is a prequel to Bone, taking place years earlier and starring Gran'ma Ben as th
Madison Henson
Sep 14, 2016 Madison Henson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terrifying dragon "Balsaad" attack the town in valley.
Rose against Balsaad for death. But she was blackout and dream, when she cut of sword to Balsaad's head off, hit her face by his body and fell. her dreams really so awful. She finally awake, but Balsaad awake, too. Just because his powerful have a reattaching.
Rose made washes Balsaad's body away, when she cut his body in the river, because the great red dragon tolds her how is he gone.
And sadly, her elder sister been ruined of her face as
Tommy Hancock
Jul 12, 2015 Tommy Hancock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't ready for this. This was heart breaking. I guess I was ready for that bit, the main books make it clear that Rose's past was quite sorrowful. But, man, Bone books are supposed to be funny. I expected some lightheartedness to ease me into heartache. Nope. Just stab, stab, stab!

All that whining out of the way, this was a very good story and should be read by anyone who doubts the comic book medium's ability to portray depth(these people still exist, sadly).

Your heart will ache. I knew wha
charlotte
Harold Ogle
An interesting mythology informing a classic/pedestrian plot, Rose is a stand-alone comic about two princesses. One, Rose, is beloved, outspoken, carefree and can talk to animals. The other, Brier (sic), is respected, reserved, correct and resentful. The book really telegraphs the sibling rivalry as the story of how the Lord of Locusts manipulates everyone to its own evil ends unfolds. The mythology (good and bad dragons, a religion of dreamer-priests, what are effectively superpowers, et cetera ...more
Terry Marzell
Smith, Jeff. Illustrations by Charles Vess. Bone: Rose. New York: Scholastic. 2009. Target Audience: Ages 11 and up. Reading Level: 3.1. For my first foray into the world of graphic novels, I selected one of the Bone series which, although the reading level is elementary, I have observed are very popular with high school students. The plot involves a rivalry between two sister-princesses, the saving of the world, and metaphysical talents that could be used for good or evil purposes. The storylin ...more
Karissa
Mar 21, 2011 Karissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a prequel to the Bone series by Jeff Smith. It was a decent book; I loved the illustrations by Charles Vess. The story was good too it just doesn't tell much beyond what the reader already knows after reading the Bone series

This tells the story of Rose, Briar, and Lucius in their younger years. It shows how the Lord of Locusts began gaining power and how Briar betrayed her kingdom.

Although it was odd to have a switch of illustrator, Vess did a very nice job with illustration. The charac
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: A prequel to the series, but the last book published in the series.

This was a really hard book to give a rating to. The story is written by Jeff Smith and the cover illustration is by him as well but once one opens up the book all familiarity is gone. The illustrations are by Charles Vess, who has a completely different style than Smith, and the font used is actually a little hard to read. I loved the story but did not like, at all, the illustrations, even though Vess won an
Gio
Oct 01, 2012 Gio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rose/ Jeff Smith/Fantasy/

This book is a prequel to Bone series. This book incorporates the world of fantasy including magnificent and unrealistic elements such as dragons and princess. Also, the illustrations of the book were beautiful and fascinating. The story is about the princesses called Rose and Baiar who are sisters. However, Rose is more adored by people than Bair and she also can see through her "dream eye" which is a special skill set. Always being shaded by Rose, Baiar dedicates her s
Travis McClain
I checked this out from the library a week ago and just now took the time to read it. I prefer Jeff Smith's artwork for the "Bone" world, but Charles Vess's looks alright. It's chock full of spoilers, so I wouldn't advise new readers to start here--even though chronologically it precedes the series proper. And there's the rub; having already seen what happens and why, I wasn't as wowed by seeing the beginning of Smith's epic as I might otherwise have been.

It's akin to why fans who grew up with t
Randolph Carter
Jan 18, 2013 Randolph Carter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love anything illustrated by Charles Vess. I have to admit I bought this for the artwork alone. The story is not too bad either. It is refreshing to see a strong female character in a graphic novel who doesn't have big boobs...
Miriam
May 12, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
I borrowed this from the library a few years ago, without having read the original series. I didn't find the story hard to follow, but I suspect I wuld have found it more engrossing had I read it after.
Mark Victor Young
Not as much fun and frolic as the Bone series, this nevertheless filled in the blanks of the backstory of those earlier books. My daughter and I soldiered on with this one to some extent. Much love for Rose's two dogs. Looking forward to the newest book in the series next.
Gideon
Nov 06, 2012 Gideon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was a good book. the main thing is "rose has two dogs and she go's to see her mother and father with the dogs and brair her sister".
Ben
Oct 26, 2016 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very good prequel to the bone series. I have read all of the books in the series so this makes a lot of things make sense like why Briar's face is shriveled. But I still can't see why Briar wanted to kill everybody and be the hooded one. I think they should make another prequel about what it is like in boneville.
Samantha Harvey
This was actually a really good prequel story. At first, I was really thrown off by the illustration because it's obviously done by someone else. BUT the story fits really well and it's actually pretty cool to see some blood in the storyline.
Lisa  Shamchuk
An addition to Bone, but not as gripping. A decent backstory though.
Mark Schlatter
The Charles Vess artwork is wonderful, but this prequel/side story to Bone lacks the humor that I value so much in the main series.
Palimp
Dec 29, 2016 Palimp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Precuela del universo Bone es más oscura y dirigida quizás a un público más adolescente. Aunque mi hija de 8 años la disfrutó enormemente.
Sandee
Feb 01, 2017 Sandee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Happened to read this at just the right moment while in the middle of the Bone saga.
Alex
When a terrifying dragon attacks the small towns of the northern valley,Princess Rose must defeat the bloodthirsty beast, who is possessed by the evil Lord of the Locusts. While Rose faces the danger with honor, her elder sister, Princess Briar, follows a more sinister path.
Zoe
Oct 13, 2016 Zoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, graphic-novel
This prequel to the popular Bone series is good enough on it's own. The artwork is excellent, and while the ending might be a bit more satisfying if you are going to continue in the Bone series, it's one of those things-work-out-mostly endings that reminds me a bit of Hitchcock and his tendency to never make things work out perfectly. The two dragons in this are polar opposites- one is endearing in a NeverEnding Story way, and the other, menacing.
Lisa Macklem
Dec 29, 2016 Lisa Macklem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not surprisingly beautifully drawn by Vess. A fun read, likely appropriate for both YA and adults. I did wonder if the story would have more context had you come to it from Bone.
Michelle
Jul 14, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comics

Review originally posted here.

Why I Read It: I read and ended up really enjoying Smith's Bone series earlier this spring/summer so I knew I had to read the prequel at some point. Spoiler-free review ahead.

A prequel Bone comic with Gran'ma Ben (though she's a strapping young lass here and nowhere near a grandmother) as the main character? HELL YES!! I was quite excited to read this, especially since the original comic series doesn't touch on the past with Rose and Briar all that much. You know i
Peyton Pawson
Sep 22, 2016 Peyton Pawson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. I read it in an hour and was very sucked in to it.
Corey Lindstrom
A bit of a disappointment. Really, ROSE's biggest problem is it's relation to BONE. On one hand, if it weren't the prequel to BONE, I probably never would have bothered to pick it up in the first place. But because it is the prequel to BONE, it'll never escape the comparisons that will inevitably follow. Starting with the artwork, Charles Vess' art isn't bad, it's just that after nine volumes of Jeff Smith's beautiful characters and hard lines, the art here is too soft and muted and feels jarrin ...more
Read before or after the rest of series? 4 17 Feb 28, 2013 02:06AM
  • Mouse Guard: Winter 1152 (Mouse Guard, #2)
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
  • Courtney Crumrin in the Twilight Kingdom (Courtney Crumrin, #3)
  • Jaka's Story (Cerebus, #5)
  • Bone: Quest for the Spark, Vol. 2
  • Korgi, Book 1: Sprouting Wings
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 1: The Ronin (Usagi Yojimbo, #1)
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves, #1)
  • The Courageous Princess
  • Blue Monday Volume 3: Inbetween Days
  • Missile Mouse: Book 2
  • Bad Island
  • Hilda and the Black Hound
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See other authors with similar names.

Born and raised in the American mid-west, Jeff Smith learned about cartooning from comic strips, comic books, and watching animation on TV. In 1991, he launched a company called Cartoon Books to publish his comic book BONE, a comedy/adventure about three lost cousins from B
More about Jeff Smith...

Bone (10 books)
  • Out from Boneville (Bone, #1)
  • Bone, Vol. 2: The Great Cow Race (Bone, #2)
  • Bone, Vol. 3: Eyes of the Storm (Bone, #3)
  • Bone, Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer (Bone, #4)
  • Bone, Vol. 5: Rock Jaw, Master of the Eastern Border (Bone, #5)
  • Bone, Vol. 6: Old Man's Cave (Bone, #6)
  • Bone, Vol. 7: Ghost Circles (Bone, #7)
  • Bone, Vol. 8: Treasure Hunters (Bone, #8)
  • Bone, Vol. 9: Crown of Horns (Bone #9)