Start by marking “The Fires of Edgarville” as Want to Read:
The Fires of Edgarville

The Fires of Edgarville

From the Cover -- Hank Davenport is a man in search of his life. Born just days after the first anniversary of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, he is a Japanese-American raised in the Pacific Northwest by Caucasian parents. A respected and successful pediatrician, his reputation is destroyed when he is accused of mercy-killing a young patient.

Seeking refuge on his adoptive mo

Published April 22nd 2009 by Crispin/Hammer Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Fires of Edgarville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fires of Edgarville

Oct 14, 2009 Darlene rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Though at times the writing is a bit jerky - even disjointed, the FEEL of the story is first-rate. This book captures the bewilderment of Alzheimer’s well enough as to confuse me initially. Ok, maybe that’s not so hard to do. There’s no confusing that Mr. Danner paints detailed pictures with his words, though.

“She is barely in her seventies, though some days she feels twenty-eight, but today’s not one of those days and Myrna’s sensing that she’s getting old: already past her prime and all the y
Jul 01, 2009 Michaelsean rated it did not like it
Someone I respect gave me this book to read to get an opinion on it so I bumped it up into my rotation. Looking back, that was a mistake on my part. Let me preface this next part with the statement that I was not an English major. That being said, even I know when the colon and semicolon are being abused and misused. Taken from my handy The Little, Brown Handbook:

"Use the semicolon only occasionally. Many semicolons in a passage, even when they are required by rule, often indicate repetitive se
Naomi V
Sep 18, 2009 Naomi V rated it liked it
Shelves: history, 2009
A really amazing book. Hank is a Japanese-American, born during the Second World War and raised by white parents. He has suffered a devastating loss in his life and, with his wife, is now living at a dilapidated orchard with his mother, who suffers from Alzheimer's.

Hank is trying to reassemble the pieces of his life while his mother lives mostly in the past, revealing secrets she has kept even from her son. The story takes place in the midst of a series of fires in the town of Edgar Flats (Edgar
Nov 13, 2011 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Great story, great characters, and mind-blowing insight into Alzheimer's. I could hardly put this down. Hank's discovery of his family's past, his attempts to cope with his mother's Alzheimer's, the very human frustrations, stresses and failings -- all this made for a great story. But it was the author's ability to mold the characters and the story through internal dialogue that really impressed me.

The only reason I didn't give it a five-star is that, as others have remarked, this book could've
Jeff Davis
Sep 17, 2009 Jeff Davis rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Historical fiction
At first the way the book is written was jarring and hard to follow but once you get past the first couple of chapters it becomes second nature to the way the story is laid out. Danner puts the reader into the mind of someone with a failing grasp on reality and, through the use of punctuation, he jumps from one place to another without any warning. I enjoyed reading the book but found the story slightly disjointed. I found it hard to care about all of the characters as some of them were not give ...more
Dec 26, 2012 Diane rated it it was amazing
this book took me by surprise. the writing style and eclectic use of italics were jarring at first, then suddenly i couldn't imagine it any other way. a wonderful and exciting story with truly three- dimensional characters. well done.
Lynne rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2015
Dawn rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2010
Sep 13, 2009 Nick added it
Shelves: first-reads
Craig Joseph Danner is a good author.If he has more books I need to git them. This was a good read.
Jamie rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2012
Kate rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2009
Tara Blevins
Tara Blevins rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2010
Stacey rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2015
Shubham Chauhan
Shubham Chauhan rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Cher rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2013
♥Miyuki♥ Goco
♥Miyuki♥ Goco rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2009