Start by marking “Natural Language Processing with Python” as Want to Read:
Natural Language Processing with Python

Natural Language Processing with Python

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  17 reviews
This book offers a highly accessible introduction to natural language processing, the field that supports a variety of language technologies, from predictive text and email filtering to automatic summarization and translation. With it, you'll learn how to write Python programs that work with large collections of unstructured text. You'll access richly annotated datasets us ...more
Published July 7th 2009 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Natural Language Processing with Python, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natural Language Processing with Python

Manny
Jan 29, 2014 Manny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who want to write software that analyses text
[Editor's preface to the second edition: notgettingenough read the first edition of this review and complained that it was all Geek to her. I have amended it accordingly]
POLONIUS: What do you read, my lord?
HAMLET: Words, words, words.
Hamlet was evidently interested in textual analysis, and if the Python Natural Language Toolkit (NLTK) had been available in Elsinore I'm sure he'd have bought this book too. I'd heard good things about it, and it doesn't disappoint: the authors have done a terrific
David
Excellent intro to both Python programming and NLP. Assumes no prior familiarity with either, so this is a good book both for beginning CS students who know little to nothing about linguistics, and for beginning linguists who have no programming experience.
Ji
I'm sure I'll come back to this book again, and again. It's a truly good one - not only I got to start learning the basics of text mining in Python using nltk, but also I learned some basics of Python data processing ideas and routines. It's a shame that with my limited knowledge so far, I can only devour very little value out of reading it. Definitely a five star!
Rob Young
This is a fascinating book. Everything from text processing to statistics to lexical analysis. For most problems the solution is shown in both set theory notation and python making it much easier for a programmer to understand the theory.
David Rauschenbach
In my 24 years as a software engineer, this is the best technical book I have ever read. I It represents the state of the art in technical writing style. Where most technical books age quickly, this one is surprisingly open-ended, and tied to an external developer toolkit that is both wonderful and growing. The subject matter is structured (readable as a narrative, then good for reference), thoroughly treated (by Stanford alumns), and grounded in historical references and philosophical themes. I ...more
Lujain

قرأت بعض الفصول منه مجبرة لامتحاني يوم الغد :(
أسلوب الكتاب سلس جداً ..
Daniel Svoboda
Really good and concise introduction to Natural Language Processing and the indispensable NLTK library for doing your own NLP projects. O'Reilly has again given a great technical book that reads like literature.
K R N
Jan 20, 2015 K R N marked it as to-read
this is a test [user: dankamongmen]
hrm nick black it didn't work.

Ur Salem
Jan 08, 2015 Ur Salem marked it as to-read
Shelves: oreilly
Dave Peticolas
A wonderful introduction to natural language processing using the NLTK toolkit. This book also serves as an introduction to Python for those new to the language (and to programming, though the pace is pretty fast). And for those like me, not new to Python but totally ignorant of NLP, it contains a wealth of interesting material. Finally, the examples showcase the elegance of Python as a language for text processing.
Christopher Käck
Nice introduction to NLP.
It also serves as a intro to Python for some reason. Probably nice for someone new to the language.

The best part is the introduction to the Natural Language Toolkit (nltk) python library which is a great way to get started with and explore NLP.
Nick
Such an interesting problem, and such a fun programming language. The NLTK looks great and I certainly hope to put it to good use soon. This book was very clear and easy to follow, and is a great resource I'm sure I'll be referring back to before too long.
JDK1962
Excellent. Certainly wish I had this book when I took "Natural Language Processing" back in grad school. Good intro to the topic of NLP, and you wind up being able to actually do things in Python when you're finished.
Sefa
Natural language processing using Python's NLTK library.
Lewis Cawthorne
Fine book, but very slow if you know any python.
Christofer Garner
Data needs context.
İlmiye Karakimseli
İlmiye Karakimseli marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Laurenti de' Medici
Laurenti de' Medici marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Martin Spasov
Martin Spasov marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Omid
Omid marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Kenneth Grady
Kenneth Grady is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2015
Milad
Milad is currently reading it
Aug 13, 2015
Abdulaziz
Abdulaziz marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Emil OW Kirkegaard
Emil OW Kirkegaard marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
  • Speech and Language Processing: An Introduction to Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics and Speech Recognition
  • Foundations of Statistical Natural Language Processing
  • Machine Learning for Hackers
  • Think Python
  • Python for Data Analysis
  • Programming Collective Intelligence: Building Smart Web 2.0 Applications
  • Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques (Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems)
  • Mining the Social Web: Analyzing Data from Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Other Social Media Sites
  • Data Analysis with Open Source Tools
  • Learning Python
  • A Byte of Python
  • Machine Learning in Action
  • JavaScript Patterns
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • Search Patterns: Design for Discovery
  • Hadoop: The Definitive Guide
  • Python Cookbook
  • Mining of Massive Datasets

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »