Degrees of Separation

Degrees of Separation (Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold #12)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  45 reviews
After healing from knee surgery, Jessie Arnold can’t wait to train for the Iditarod, but she and her dogs must work hard to qualify. Jessie’s practice run goes smoothly until her sled hits a bump along the trail—a dead body. What the kid was doing on a musher’s trail with no sled or dogs is anyone’s guess. And in a chilling moment, Jessie realizes that the case hits close...more
Published April 7th 2009 by Signet (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Degrees of Separation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Degrees of Separation

Alannah Davis
I love Sue Henry's writing. Have not read anything bad from her yet. I did like the first few books of the series more than these last few, but I continue to find myself absorbed in the story of dog musher Jessie Arnold, her state trooper companion Alex Jensen, and the world that is unique to the state of Alaska.

In this entry in the series, much is made of the earthquakes that continuously shake Alaska just as much as they do in more celebrated state of California. There is an almost disturbing...more
BCMUnlimited
See the official review: http://www.bookscompletemeunlimited.c...

This book is, of course, about Jessie Arnold. She lives in Alaska and is a dog sled racer and raced in the famous Iditarod race. She is a strong female character in the book. The Iditarod is a tough race and so is Jessie. Jessie can’t wait for winter to set in so she can get back to what she loves and that is racing with her “mutts” as she calls them. The Alaska weather finally cooperated and it snowed enough for her to take the do...more
Andrew
Degrees of Separation by Sue Henry

Once again, death by human hand strikes the Mat-Su Valley region in Alaska. And once again, musher Jessie Arnold and state trooper Alex Jensen are in the middle of the action – this time (and I don't think I'm providing a major spoiler here), with Homer, AK based retiree Maxie McNabb making a guest appearance.

The basic mystery: Jessie finds a body while on a dog-training run near her house. While trying to resolve this mystery, more people end up dead or injure...more
Homewood Public Library
Jessie Arnold's knee was better and she was excited about the first snowfall of the year- she could finally take her dogs on a training run with the sled instead of the four wheeler. When she approached the dogs and put some of them in harness they were eager to pull the sled as they had been trained. The trails near Jessie's property had been checked for downed tree limbs and rocks so they used those and were having a good run. Until they ran over something- a body. Jessie notified Alex Jensen...more
Judy
If I wasn't reading this book for the Read the USA Challenge, I would never have finished it. Not only did the plot drag--speaking of dragging, Jessie Arnold and her team of sled dogs ran over a body and dragged it a bit--but there was a lot of going to the same bars, playing pool, throwing darts, feeding and watering dogs, etc. The most aggrevating part of the book was the page and a half sum up with a "there are still a lot of questions, I'll guess we'll figure the rest out later" comment, mea...more
Catherine Woodman
So, I am a sucker for all Alaska murder mysteries (reading two this week, if that isn't enough of an indication for you...), and Sue Henry writes competently. Jessie Arnold has settled down with her trooper and they seem to be getting a pretty good rhythm going related to her involvement in his work, and his tolerance of that. The heroine from her other series made a visit in this one (Maxie and Stretch)--who I am not as fond of but they are good together--maybe they can be combined! The motivat...more
Sheila
Didn't think it moved along as quickly as some of her other books. In this book, she frequently mentioned earthquakes which I don't remember her writing about before. Are they really as common in Alaska as she mentions????
Jessie takes her dogs out for the first run of the winter and runs over the body of a dead man, shot in the head. The story takes off from there as they try to solve the mystery. Bikers are involved and several questions are unanswered, i.e. why was Alex's partner's truck sabot...more
Judith
Enjoyed reading this Sue Henry as I usually do.
Jan
I like this series...a bit meatier than some of her other repeating characters. Engaging and satisfying.
Jan
The descriptions of Alaska's raw beauty make this series a pleasure to read. I was, however, a tad disappointed by the murder mystery in this book despite the fact that the residents were experiencing earthquake tremors the entire time which added to the suspence. There were too many unanswered questions and while I don't necessarily need everything all tied up with a pretty bow on top, they were glaring omissions. Henry usually does a better job.
Karen
Musher Jessie Arnold has her sled dogs out for a run when they run over a big,snowy bump in the trail. Turns out it's NOT a log. It's a body. Jessie and boyfriend Alaska State Trooper Alex Jansen are sleuthing for a murderer once again! You know the author lives in Alaska because of her wonderful, descriptive Alaskan details. Great series!
Dolly
Aug 25, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
This is the third "Jessie Arnold mystery" I've read by Sue Henry and I like her stories, but they are starting to lose their charm for me. This one had too many twists and too much cliche conversation. It was a nice quick brain candy read, so I'm not disappointed, but I probably won't be as quick to pick up another one.
Anne
I have always enjoyed Sue Henry's books as easr reads for a lazy night. they are light mysteries with interesting people. This one has Jessie Arnold and her Alaska State trooper boyfriend solving a young man's murder way too close to home, on her sled trail. Good read for dog lovers too.
Amy
A little slow -- not as fast-paced as her previous works (probably because she is not in a race); this is still a good story.

I love the Jessie Arnold/Alex Jensen series and once again, they are up to their eyeballs after Jessie runs over a dead body in the snow.
Hapzydeco
The great Alaskan wilderness is showcased. Jesse Arnold proves to be a strong woman capable of meeting nature’s challenge. This combination makes for a quick pleasant read. At the conclusion of the novel Henry drops two plot points, this was disconcerting.
Elaine
Twelfth book in the Jessie Arnold series. I did not think this book had the excitement of some of her others.
It was predictable and staid. She tried to hard to make connections and to construct a theme around six degrees of separation.
Carla
This was slightly disappointing. I enjoy reading this series, I like the writing, but this book just seemed to have a lot of things and people just thrown in for no reason. So the mystery aspect of it seemed a little weak.
Barbara
Not much of interesting about Alaska or dog racing which I hoped would be woven into the suspense story. And, there were a lot of loose ends but it is good for a fast-read. I don't think I'd recommend it, though.
Kathy
A kind of Jance approach to fiction, set in Alaska. The plot and characters are okay, but 80% of the book is the setting, which has too much mushing and bar life for me. Kind of slow paced also.
Deveny
Decent murder mystery but was too slow for me. A lot of mundane fillers that didn't seem to contribute to the overall story. I'd give her books another try though.
Pam Lauman

This was a quick entertaining read. I think I enjoyed it mostly because I visited Alaska last year and could picture many of the locations.
Joanne
I thought it was a little slow going. It was an o.k. read. I have heard her others are a lot better so I will probably try a different one in the future.
Sue
I didn't think this was one of Henry's best - the story line was staid, didn't have the usual edge of the seat that I have come to like about her novels.
Cathy
This was a good story but had something I really dislike... bam, 5 pages before the end we get a partial explanation and then the story is over.
Tina
May 26, 2008 Tina marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Sue Henry has been publishing mysteries in another series that I don't much like, so it's great to see another Jessie Arnold mystery.
Laurie
Wish there was more of the dogs and less of the repetitive bar scenes. I enjoyed the earlier stories much more in the Jessie Arnold series.
Liz
It was fine, entertaining. I like the books when she's actually mushing. Bored with the repeated use of the same elements, though.
Pam
Not Sue's best. Despite the months in Alaska without snow, Jessie is much more interesting when she is running her dogs on snow.
Linda
Just started reading this - very vibrant writer. It starts out in Alaska and I got cold just reading!
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Uneasy Relations (Gideon Oliver, #15)
  • All or Nothing
  • Torched
  • The Devil's Tide (Devil's Fire, #2)
  • Death Makes the Cut (Jocelyn Shore #2)
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches...more
More about Sue Henry...
Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1) Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8) Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6) The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1) Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)