Waking Evil (Mindhunters, #2)

Waking Evil (Mindhunters #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A KILLER, A PROPHECY - AND THREE DEATHS FORETOLD

Buffalo Springs, Tennessee, is a neighborly kind of place where folks leave their doors unlocked and crime is unheard of. But once every generation, a strange red mist settles over the town, and with it comes omens of death...

When the body of a young woman is found, forensic investigator Ramsey Clark is called in. She knows a...more
Mass Market Paperback, 359 pages
Published October 6th 2009 by Berkley Sensation (first published September 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Waking Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waking Evil

Mojca
A woman's body is found floating in a pond in Buffalo Springs, Tennessee and Ramsey Clark, a member of the famous Mindhunters, a team captained by ex-FBI profiler Adam Raiker, is called in to investigate.

Soon, the legends and fables of the rural town take over the case, the murder coincided with the strange phenomena of "red mist" that appears in town every thirty years and claims its three victims. Investigating that is paranormal investigator (that doesn't believe in paranormal per-se) Devlin...more
Lady Heather
This is the second book Kylie Brant's "Mindhunter" series.

Amazing suspense/thriller!

The character's are intense, strong, broken, and determined to seek justice.

full review to come :))
Isis FG
After reading the first book in this series, I had a pretty good idea what I would get from this second book. And really, that's what I got. There weren't any surprises.

Series Note:
Second book in the "Mindhunters" series about an independent forensics agency and the people who work there. You don't have to have read the first book in order to read this one.

Summary:
Raiker Forensics agent Ramsey Clark is sent to Buffalo Springs, Tennessee after the body of a woman is found left in a pond, raped, t...more
Scooper Speaks
Favorite Lines: “One minute she was upright, and the next he’d tripped her and her face was pressed in the dirt. His booted foot was on her back. “Damn right it does. And I’d like to tell you all ‘bout just how smart I am. But more than that, I’d like to show you.” The rifle barrel caressed a cool path over her cheek. “Because if ever there was a woman who needed spiritual cleansing, it’s you.”” (p. 333)

Waking Evil is the second book in Kylie Brant’s Mindhunters series. I did not read the first...more
Meigan
I'm kind of on the fence with how to rate this book. There were some elements I liked, some elements I found unnecessary. I was distracted reading this, not because of too much going on around me, but rather I was focusing on the distractions because I couldn't fully immerse myself in this book. I decided to go with a solid 2.

I liked the characters for the most part. I thought Devlin was interesting with his parapsychology, and he was a nice, southern gentlemen who had the ladies wrapped around...more
Tbabe001
I did not care for this writing style, the characters or location. It was just boring and very bland ...no chemistry.
Donna M O'Neil-Wheaton
Great series

Great series

Awesome book and a great series each book is a stand alone in its own right. can't go wrong with this author!
Pamela(AllHoney)
The second book in the Mindhunters series. This is one of those books that have the right balance of suspense, mystery and romance for my personal taste. That said I did have a few issues with Ramsey's past. I didn't feel it was developed enough and if it wasn't that important to the story why bring it in in the first place. The endng was a little too quickly wrapped up in my opinion. But overall, an enjoyable read.
Keri
Very good. Brant can really deliver on the romantic suspense. Devon was a very sweet and sexy hero. I thought he was perfect for Ramsey. Although I do wish we would have got to see her kick her brother's sorry a$$. :-) But I am just evil like that.
Anne OK
They just keep getting better and better. Not light reads but very enjoyable. Solving the crime doesn't come easy and kept me guessing to the very end. Love the characters in these books. Kyle Brant has another winner as far as I'm concerned.
Jane Stewart
Investigator slowly unravels a mystery. Some motivations and details were not explained. A lot of mean people in this story.

STORY BRIEF:
A woman is sexually tortured, murdered and thrown into Ashton Pond. The TBI (Tennessee Bureau of Investigation) investigates and brings in outside forensic consultant, Ramsey. She works for Raiker Forensics, a consulting firm also known as The Mindhunters due to their brilliance and track record in solving tough crimes. The victim’s stomach contents reveal that...more
Martina
More interesting couple, though not thanks to Ramsey ((view spoiler)), interesting story. It could have been 4* if the ending wasn't as it was. (view spoiler)
Stephanie
This is the second book I've read by Kylie Brant, I enjoy them, I like Brant's writing style, but the storylines probably shouldn't be analyzed to closely; there's a lot that could be explained better. In Waking Evil I guessed who the main bad guy was pretty much from the beginning and actually another character I thought it could be . . . was in involved too, so the "mystery" part didn't hold a lot of mystery. The paranormal aspects were interesting but could have been better developed.

So far B...more
Sherri
Another good read. There's a dead girl in the pond in Buffalo Springs, Tenn. The Mindhunters are called in to assist the local FBI to find out what happened. You meet Ramsey and Devlin. Ramsey is the girl southern girl from wrong side of the tracks that married to escape her family only to be abused by her husband. She escapes her abusive husband and goes on to better things. Devlin is the paranormal expert whose father was accused of killing a girl and went to jail and was killed in prison. The...more
Kristen
If you love a hot new romantic suspense series, you'll love Kylie Brant's Mind-hunters series. When a dead girl's body is found in the bottom of the pond, Ramsey Clark is on the scene, who works for the TBI. From there, she butts head with Devlin Stryker, who's sort of a paranormal expert. Both of them have something in common, other than their attraction for each other: they both have baggage from the past. On this case, they discover this small town has a secret of its own of a religious natur...more
Katie
I wish these books were more suspense and less romance, to be honest. Because the investigations are great to read about, but I don't really give a fuck about the characters who are cannot keep it in their pants long enough to solve a case. Forming a connection that will eventually lead to a relationship? Fine, absolutely. Kay Hooper does that well. The way Brant writes romance just doesn't appeal to me, I guess.

The paranormal phenomenon (view spoiler) was ja...more
Angie
This was my third "Mindhunters" book. I really didn't realize they are ROMANTIC mystery / suspense books until "about the author" in this one. I could do with less romance and more descriptive endings. The plot was really good, but I really think she wrapped this one up in two chapters, and it could have been so much more - the development of the plot is good, but the ending was underdeveloped in my opinion. Disappointed in this one.
Holly (Gladriel Fae)
Again with this book there was a twist at the end! I thought I had everything figured out, and then it got me.. The main character was hard for me to warm up to, but the story itself kept me interested and by the end of the book I understood her better. It was a bit drawn out, and there were alot of characters and several unnecessary sub-plots, but I still really liked it and I am now starting the next in the series.
Sandra
I think I have read too many of this type of book - female law enforcement officer comes to small town USA in hunt for serial killer/rapist romance happens while investigating. There was nothing wrong with this story but there was nothing original or outstanding either. Wasn't at all surprised by the villian but again this may because I have read too many of this type of story.
Anita Truong
3.5 Stars

This one had a whole lot of that creepiness factor you could see pretty vividly through the descriptions. Nothing like a good old crime thriller and a murder mystery entangled in history and legends, with an extremely subtle side dish of the paranormal (an almost X-files, if you will).

Enjoyable, at the least.
Emily
An ok plane read, but not up to par with what I had expected from the first Mindhunters novel.
The supernatural element, or at least its investigation, isn't very well explained and doesn't add much. Devlin and Ramsey, in addition to being unfortunately named, have little chemistry and the romantic element seems forced between them.
Tina Marie (Highlandress)
This book was great!! It drew me in from the first page and I had a really hard time putting it down. The twist at the end really caught me by surprise. I think Kylie Brant will join my list of automatic buys when I see her books.
Alison
Great book! Kylie does a great job of keeping the villian a secret till the very end. I was shocked to find out who the bad guy was. I was even more stunned to find out who one of his cohorts was!
Selena Lang
Did not like this second book as much as the first. It was slower, the mystery was not as interesting and I had to really push myself to read the whole thing.
I did not enjoy this book as much as I did the first one in the Mindhunter series. This book seemed like a chore for me to read and I never did get into it.
Amber
Apr 28, 2010 Amber rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amber by: im2mas@yahoo.com
Not up to the standards of the other two Mindhunter novels. The pairing of the two main characters seemed unsuitable. The premise for the plot also was weak.
Leigh337722
My first Kylie Bryant book and I loved it! I am now on the fifth book of the mindhunters series!!! Can't wait to read Adam's story!
Tiffany Carter
I didn't like the main character and therefore it was hard to really like the story.
Jeremy Goh
It has a helluva twist at the ending. kept me hooked all the way to the end.
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • Fade to Black (Black CATs, #1)
  • Whisper of Warning (Glass Sisters, The #2)
  • Love You to Death
  • Cold Touch (Extrasensory Agents, #2)
  • True Vision (True Trilogy #1)
  • Relentless (Suspense Series, #4)
  • Shades of Temptation (SIG, #2)
  • Now You Die (Bullet Catcher, #6)
  • Hide'n Go Seek (Psychic Visions, #2)
  • Sweet Reward (Last Chance Rescue, #9)
  • Deadly Lies (Deadly, #3)
  • Always Look Twice (Callahan Brothers, #3)
  • Killer Heat  (Dept 6 Hired Guns, #3)
  • Hide from Evil (Dead Wrong, #2)
The mother of five children, Kylie Brant claims she began writing to save her sanity. Plotting stories became her method of escape from the reality of constant ball games, chauffeuring kids, and refereeing "minor" disagreements between her perfect offspring.

In 1992 she was elated to get a call from Silhouette offering to buy her second novel. Home with laryngitis at the time, she still managed to...more
More about Kylie Brant...
Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1) Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3) Deadly Intent (Mindhunters, #4) Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5) Deadly Sins (Mindhunters, #6)