Start by marking “Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 3: Conqueror Worm and Strange Places (Hellboy, #5-6)” as Want to Read:

Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 3: Conqueror Worm and Strange Places (Hellboy #5-6)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  551 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Hellboy Library Edition Volume 3 collects three pivotal stories of Hellboy's journey, as he leaves behind the world of men and journeys into the unknown: the award-winning Conqueror Worm, which brings back some of Hellboy's earliest foes, in the story that ends his career with the B.P.R.D., and marks his first run-in with the fan-favorite masked hero Lobster Johnson; the h ...more
Library Binding, 328 pages
Published October 13th 2009 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 3

Felix
All in all I found this collection highly enjoyable. Conqueror Worm held up to the high standard of quality of the previous Hellboy stories and contains everything one has come to expect from them: Nazi villains doing occult research in Gothic castles, mixed with Lovecraftian creatures, ghosts and apocalyptic visions. Enter Hellboy: boom, Boom, BOOM .

The Third Wish is also very good, less Nazi-Gothic, more weird witchcraft and eclectic myth-mixing reminiscent of Wake the Devil.

While the final st
Adam
Hellboy is legendary; both in story and in art. There are three stories in this trade. Conqueror Worm (one of the longer Hellboy Stories), The Third wish, and The Island.
Conqueror Worm is good fun and gives insight to Seed of Destruction and Wake The Devil. If there was a trilogy of storylines in Hellboy, Conqueror worm would be the finale (Seed and Wake being the first two parts). Conqueror Worm shows a lot of Roger which I liked and the whole idea of "the conqueror worm" was epic.
The Third Wi
Brenton Nichol
The deluxe reprinting of the Hellboy catalog continues! Again, all the same praise I gave to the first two Library Editions (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/..., http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...) in terms of the physical printing and contents applies here, too; these are sturdy, gorgeous books with rich coloring jobs and fun sketchbook extras complete with notes from creator Mike Mignola, along with the introductions from the original trade paperbacks, a foreward by series editor Sc ...more
Kat Ritchie
Longer stories make up the backbone of this book. Monsters abound, and there are some very surreal bits where I'm not even sure if Hellboy is alive or dead. Heck, even he's not sure if he's alive or dead. The giant worm makes another appearance, and it seems that everyone's out to get Hellboy and his massive right hand.
Again, I had fun reading the afterword and the sketchbook.
On to the next one!
Lindsey
So far this has been my favorite of the library volumes. Conqueror Worm is just a great overall storyline and Strange Places does indeed take us to a few (haunted banana trees, anyone?). I really can't recommend the library editions enough. The binding is great and because of the extra borders you don't miss any of the pictures or dialogue.
Brian
Wrapping up that initial Hellboy series.

Still love the art. Some great stories here. Not much, if any, of the old goofy Hellboy, but that's ok, because it's bringing him to a good resting place for other stories to spike off of, like the B.P.R.D. (great) series.
Ed van der Winden
I put off finishing the last of the three Hellboy collections because I knew that I would regret finishing them. It is the Mignola's art that makes this series such a high point of comics for me. That and the character of Hellboy himself, a laconic teenage boy in a huge evil-looking body who is an utterly good person. The strength of the stories varies, but this matters only little to me. Mind you, some of the stories are great, especially the longer ones (The Conquerer Worm is really good). And ...more
Travis
This large collection is wonderful, and the bonus art in the back made my day.
Melissa
"The Third Wish" was my favorite; 4 stars for it.
Deodand
The series continues to improve, incorporating the best of worldwide mythology. Hellboy goes to Africa here and it gets even more interesting.
Nicolo Yu
I'm tempted to give this new Hellboy collection as it is quite underwhelming compared to the first two releases. The fact that this contained "Conqueror Worm" saved as this story changed the Hellboy status quo and the gave rise to the very good "BPRD" series.
It also introduced Lobster Johnson, a character Mike Mignola created in the same vein as the pulp heroes of the pre-comic or pre-Action Comics #1 past.
I'd recommend this for Hellboy completists only.
Aaron
5 stars for Conqueror Worm, 4.5 for Strange Places. I only say that because Strange Places became almost too difficult to follow at times. Otherwise, fantastic artwork as usual from Mignola, with some particularly great emotional developments. The action is stylish, the settings and characters are original and varied. I love this series.
Russell Grant
A real great collection. "Conqueror Worm" is the best story yet, and the 2 back up stories are quite different from everything that came before. An amazing presentation for the Hellboy series, I really hope this deluxe series continues.
Grant Gregory
Mike Mignola' art could keep me in a story by itself, but then the dialogue and plot are so good that I get so involved in the story that I have to go back to the beginning when I'm done just to re-look at the art. Incredible
Jason
Arrived in my comic shipment today.
I love the book itself almost as much as the stories. It just a beautiful presentation.
Truly superlative form all possible angles.
Orrin Grey
Again, just tagging the really excellent Library Editions.

Conqueror Worm is probably my favorite of the Hellboy mini-series stories.
Justin
Mike Mignola blows me away in not only his artistry but how he puts his stories together. I cannot get enough of Hellboy!
Patrick Lum
Conqueror Worm and Three Wishes was flat-out amazing.
Andy
Mignola continues to weird me out in the best possible way. This is great stuff!
Eric Orchard
One of the best comics ever. A perfect synthesis of a thousand disparate ideas.
Paul
Very nice over-sized edition at an affordable price.
Chris White
Chris White marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Lara
Lara added it
Dec 07, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
  • B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs 3 (B.P.R.D., #6-8)
  • Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Powers Definitive Collection Vol. 3
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 5
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Five
  • X-Statix Omnibus
  • Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Atomic Robo, #5)
  • The Goon, Volume 6: Chinatown and The Mystery of Mr. Wicker
  • The Marquis Volume 1: Inferno
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2
  • The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 3
  • Beasts of Burden: Animal Rites
  • Demo, Vol. 2
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 3
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...
Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1) Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3) Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2) Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4) Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)