Start by marking “Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 3: Conqueror Worm and Strange Places (Hellboy, #5-6)” as Want to Read:

Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 3: Conqueror Worm and Strange Places (Hellboy #5-6)

Hellboy Library Edition Volume 3 collects three pivotal stories of Hellboy's journey, as he leaves behind the world of men and journeys into the unknown: the award-winning Conqueror Worm, which brings back some of Hellboy's earliest foes, in the story that ends his career with the B.P.R.D., and marks his first run-in with the fan-favorite masked hero Lobster Johnson; the h ...more
Library Binding, 328 pages
Published October 13th 2009 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy Library Edition, Volume 3

Jul 20, 2015 Aildiin rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Three story in this one :
- Conqueror Worm which is a major Hellboy universe story. ( it ties into B.P.R.D., and Lobster Johnson and marks a key point in HellBoy's adventures.
- 3 Wishes and the Island : Slightly shorter stories where we see HellBoy wandering the earth alone for the first time.
The Island is the weirdest HellBoy story so far.
Aug 14, 2016 Clint rated it really liked it
Conquerer Worm has it's faults, but is excellent for those who were already introduced to Lobster Johnson -- He was introduced in a backup story to... Box of Evil?, and it was great to see him again when this first came out.

Three Wishes was completely excellent. Even though a majority of it takes place under the ocean, it's surprisingly bright for Hellboy (color pallete wise) and that's a treat. To me, it's the most interesting story in this tome.

The Island is not so good. It harbors the sin of
Feb 04, 2010 Felix rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
All in all I found this collection highly enjoyable. Conqueror Worm held up to the high standard of quality of the previous Hellboy stories and contains everything one has come to expect from them: Nazi villains doing occult research in Gothic castles, mixed with Lovecraftian creatures, ghosts and apocalyptic visions. Enter Hellboy: boom, Boom, BOOM .

The Third Wish is also very good, less Nazi-Gothic, more weird witchcraft and eclectic myth-mixing reminiscent of Wake the Devil.

While the final st
The deluxe reprinting of the Hellboy catalog continues! Again, all the same praise I gave to the first two Library Editions (, in terms of the physical printing and contents applies here, too; these are sturdy, gorgeous books with rich coloring jobs and fun sketchbook extras complete with notes from creator Mike Mignola, along with the introductions from the original trade paperbacks, a foreward by series editor Sc ...more
Ed van der Winden
Sep 05, 2010 Ed van der Winden rated it it was amazing
I put off finishing the last of the three Hellboy collections because I knew that I would regret finishing them. It is the Mignola's art that makes this series such a high point of comics for me. That and the character of Hellboy himself, a laconic teenage boy in a huge evil-looking body who is an utterly good person. The strength of the stories varies, but this matters only little to me. Mind you, some of the stories are great, especially the longer ones (The Conquerer Worm is really good). And ...more
Nicolo Yu
Nov 14, 2009 Nicolo Yu rated it really liked it
Shelves: collected-comics
I'm tempted to give this new Hellboy collection as it is quite underwhelming compared to the first two releases. The fact that this contained "Conqueror Worm" saved as this story changed the Hellboy status quo and the gave rise to the very good "BPRD" series.
It also introduced Lobster Johnson, a character Mike Mignola created in the same vein as the pulp heroes of the pre-comic or pre-Action Comics #1 past.
I'd recommend this for Hellboy completists only.
Jun 01, 2014 Lindsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
So far this has been my favorite of the library volumes. Conqueror Worm is just a great overall storyline and Strange Places does indeed take us to a few (haunted banana trees, anyone?). I really can't recommend the library editions enough. The binding is great and because of the extra borders you don't miss any of the pictures or dialogue.
Nov 02, 2014 Travis rated it it was amazing
This large collection is wonderful, and the bonus art in the back made my day.
David Leslie
Feb 06, 2016 David Leslie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
There's only really 3 things you need to know to decide if this book is for you-1)Even if you already own the 2 trade paperbacks that are colected here the quality of the library editions in general(especially compared to the Dark Horse paperbacks which are infamous for...well falling apart)are immaculate,huge pages that show off imo the finest artist in modern comics,great binding & looks great on any bookshelf.2)This volume contains arguably the best longer length(it covered a full TPB)Hel ...more
Kat Ritchie
Jun 29, 2014 Kat Ritchie rated it really liked it
Longer stories make up the backbone of this book. Monsters abound, and there are some very surreal bits where I'm not even sure if Hellboy is alive or dead. Heck, even he's not sure if he's alive or dead. The giant worm makes another appearance, and it seems that everyone's out to get Hellboy and his massive right hand.
Again, I had fun reading the afterword and the sketchbook.
On to the next one!
Aug 15, 2015 Jeb rated it it was amazing
Goddamn. This was so good. The three stories here are all pretty different from one another, but unmistakably Hellboy. Mignola is on record as saying that Conqueror Worm is one of his favorites, and while it is great, I find I prefer HB on his own, wandering aimlessly, running into trouble. The Third Wish and The Island both do some really interesting things story-wise and considerably expand the Hellboy mythos. The Island is particularly impressive, with an at times disjointed narrative reflect ...more
Mar 16, 2014 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-completed
Wrapping up that initial Hellboy series.

Still love the art. Some great stories here. Not much, if any, of the old goofy Hellboy, but that's ok, because it's bringing him to a good resting place for other stories to spike off of, like the B.P.R.D. (great) series.
Shane Perry
Jul 31, 2016 Shane Perry rated it really liked it
Would more give this 4.5 stars.

Enjoyed this quite a bit, but not nearly as much as Volume 2. Conqueror Worm and Third Wish were excellent, but I found The Island a bit tedious and confusing. Overall, though, Mignola's art and storytelling continue to improve here. I want to see more of Roger and Lobster Johnson
Aug 12, 2015 K.m. rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-comics
So amazing to see the graphics just that much bigger. I will always love the stories drawn by Mike Mignola best. Strange Places has some really interesting/delicious undersea compositions. I love the lilacy purples, very surprising.
Still enjoying these stories. I really LIKE Hellboy as a character, and although the artwork is not my favorite, it suits the story and characters.
"The Third Wish" was my favorite; 4 stars for it.
Kyle Burley
Feb 21, 2015 Kyle Burley rated it it was amazing
Nazi cyber-apes! Ectoplasmic worms from space! The ghost of Lobster Johnson! A homunculus named Roger! Our hero captured by mermaids and drinking with skeletons!
Sounds like 5 stars to me.
Brian Dickerson
Oct 11, 2016 Brian Dickerson rated it it was amazing
The Conqueror Worm - Maybe my favorite Hellboy story. 5 stars based on it alone.

Three Wishes - Another favorite of mine, love the whole Bog Rosh aspect.

Island - Hmmmm... I think I need to read it another time. Lots of background details, somewhat complex.
Jul 15, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing
5 stars for Conqueror Worm, 4.5 for Strange Places. I only say that because Strange Places became almost too difficult to follow at times. Otherwise, fantastic artwork as usual from Mignola, with some particularly great emotional developments. The action is stylish, the settings and characters are original and varied. I love this series.
Russell Grant
A real great collection. "Conqueror Worm" is the best story yet, and the 2 back up stories are quite different from everything that came before. An amazing presentation for the Hellboy series, I really hope this deluxe series continues.
Grant Gregory
May 28, 2013 Grant Gregory rated it really liked it
Mike Mignola' art could keep me in a story by itself, but then the dialogue and plot are so good that I get so involved in the story that I have to go back to the beginning when I'm done just to re-look at the art. Incredible
Jan 06, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing
Arrived in my comic shipment today.
I love the book itself almost as much as the stories. It just a beautiful presentation.
Truly superlative form all possible angles.
Jan 18, 2015 Deodand rated it it was amazing
The series continues to improve, incorporating the best of worldwide mythology. Hellboy goes to Africa here and it gets even more interesting.
Orrin Grey
Jun 27, 2011 Orrin Grey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, mignola, favorites
Again, just tagging the really excellent Library Editions.

Conqueror Worm is probably my favorite of the Hellboy mini-series stories.
Aug 12, 2013 Justin rated it it was amazing
Mike Mignola blows me away in not only his artistry but how he puts his stories together. I cannot get enough of Hellboy!
Apr 30, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it
2 great stories that reveal most of the secret history of Hellboy, only alluded to in previous volumes.
Patrick Lum
Dec 22, 2013 Patrick Lum rated it really liked it
Conqueror Worm and Three Wishes was flat-out amazing.
Jun 15, 2010 Andy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2010
Mignola continues to weird me out in the best possible way. This is great stuff!
Eric Orchard
Oct 03, 2009 Eric Orchard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, horror
One of the best comics ever. A perfect synthesis of a thousand disparate ideas.
Oct 20, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Very nice over-sized edition at an affordable price.
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Three
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Itty Bitty Hellboy
  • Powers: Definitive Collection, Vol. 3
  • Star Wars: Legacy, Volume 2: Shards
  • Zombies Calling
  • Solomon Kane: The Castle of the Devil (Dark Horse's Solomon Kane, #1)
  • Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Atomic Robo, #5)
  • The Marquis Volume 1: Inferno
  • Fear Agent, Volume Two: Hatchet Job · I Against I · Out of Step (Fear Agent Library Edition, #2)
  • The Goon, Volume 6: Chinatown and The Mystery of Mr. Wicker
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2
  • X-Statix Omnibus
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo
More about Mike Mignola...

Hellboy (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction (Hellboy, #1)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 2: Wake the Devil (Hellboy, #2)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 3: The Chained Coffin and Others (Hellboy, #3)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 4: The Right Hand of Doom (Hellboy, #4)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 5: Conqueror Worm (Hellboy, #5)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 6: Strange Places (Hellboy, #6)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 7: The Troll Witch and Others (Hellboy, #7)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 8: Darkness Calls (Hellboy, #8)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 9: The Wild Hunt (Hellboy, #9)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 10: The Crooked Man and Others (Hellboy, #10)