Ani's Raw Food Desserts: 85 Easy, Delectable Sweets and Treats

Ani's Raw Food Desserts: 85 Easy, Delectable Sweets and Treats

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  18 reviews
You can have your cake and eat it too with Ani Phyo’s innovative, delicious desserts. From cobblers to cookies, pies to cupcakes, Chef Ani’s easy-to-make sweets are wheat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, processed sugar-free, and cruelty-free. Deceptively simple, these treats pack loads of flavor and nutrition in every bite. Substituting these mouthwatering desserts for trad...more
Published April 28th 2009 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published April 27th 2009)

Karin
As far as recipe books go, this one is very readable and for those of us new to 'cooking' the raw food way ( i'll just eat the apple, rather than put it in a pie with the sugar, thank you. Saves work and cuts caleries right there! But her recipes sound so delicious and healthy it seems worth the time it takes to make the cobbler, icing etc.

I found agave syrup a while ago as well as coconut butter, but cacao was a tough one. At a health food store I found organic non-dutch refined cocoa which is...more
Sue
As a book, this is a delight. There are excellent photographs throughout of the most appetising looking desserts. There are also interesting explanations about why the author eats raw food, with its many health benefits, and here and there are extra hints or tips for - for instance - keeping one's skin young, or boosting metabolism. It's the kind of book to sit down and read pretty much cover to cover. I did that when I received it, and found it very inspiring.

Unfortunately, although Ani Phyo i...more
Rachel
I've liked everything I've tried. This book requires you to have a good food processor/vitamix and it's best if you have a dehydrator too. I don't find myself doing any of the dehydrating recipes, because if I'm going to spend that much time doing something, I'll cook it. (Clearly I'm not a raw-foodist, I'm just interested in having a varied diet). This book is a few basic recipes with a bunch of variations on those recipes. Useful enough that I'm glad I got it from the library; it's worth readi...more
Aja Marsh
If you are new to raw foods this is a good book as the equipment, processes, and ingredients needed are not too fussy, but to me it was too sinplified-- not even using many varied favors or spices, I would jut think most of the recipes would taste like Lara bars. And there's nothing wrong with that but I guess I'd like to see something a little more exciting. I haven't read any of her other books but I do like that as makes raw food seem approachable, even if I find it, especially in dessert for...more
Mo Tipton
I'm not sure why the recipes in this book struck me as easier and less labor intensive than those in other raw cookbooks, because there certainly are a good number that require a blender, a dehydrator, and other raw food equipment, but they did, and I'm actually motivated to give a few of them a try. First on my list are Ani's Ice Kream Sandwiches, which pair her Key Lime Cream Bars with yummy Carob Walnut Cookies, and which require very little in the way of special tools.
Corinne
Haven't tried any recipes but gave 4 starts for nice pictures, good explanations, and health tips included in the book. Makes it more well rounded.

I'll try some soon, but disappointed at how simple some of the recipes are. Also, I feel like too much effort is spent trying to mimic non-raw desserts. I find the most delicious vegan/vegetarian food is the type that is flavorful without fake stuff in it.
Amber Anderson
I looked at this book when it came out and although the photos made raw treats look really tasty, I still wrote off raw foods as too difficult and expensive. Then I started watching Ani Phyo's youtube channel, which made me realize how easy these recipes are.

I have a major sweet tooth and it's so nice to not feel guilty or fat after eating cookies or cake.
claire
interesting ideas. i tried the chocolate raspberry cake in here... it was delicious and sweet, but knowing it was all natural was nice. The only problem with these recipes is they are unsustainably expensive to execute. The cake's ingredients were dates walnuts avocado cocoa powder and agave syrup, in the end made a tiny little cake that cost $20. it's too much.
Robin
I made 3 recipes from this book today and they are all quite tasty & worthy of bringing to a party. What I really like about raw desserts is that they don't burn while you are spacing out reading a book in the other room.
Rachel Frank
This book was my introduction to raw food and man it was a great start. The book has simple and complex recipes that can be made immediately or with some pre work. A great variety of delicious raw foods.
Elizabeth Dee
I can't wait to try some of these recipes! Fabulous design, outline and nutrition info. Highly recommend if you are looking for healthy, uncomplicated and fun recipes to try on your own.
michelle
I really like that a good chunk of these recipes don't require a dehydrator, since I don't owe one, but a high quality food processor is necessary (don't have that either).
Mari
Absolutely love this uncookbook. I love Ani Phyo's recipes. I haven't tried all of them yet, but they're very easy and so yummy! Another great one by Ani!
Luci
I actually met this awsome lady and tasted her food at 105 degrees in OKC and my autographed copy is never far from the kitchen counter.
Annette
This has some very good recipes it in. So far, each one I have tried is excellent. :o)
Hanna Howe
Just got this for mother's day. I can't wait to whip up some raw mango tarts!
Martha
almost every recipe uses agave syrup & electrical appliances
Lee
May 18, 2011 Lee marked it as to-read-non-fiction
Check ice-cream recipes.
Katrina Hutchins
Katrina Hutchins marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
CJ
CJ marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Ani Phyo is an organic eco chef, author, whole food and sustainable agriculture advocate and founder of SmartMonkey Foods. Phyo's book, Ani's Raw Food Kitchen: Easy, Delectable Living Food Recipes published by Marlowe & Company, is in its 8th printing. She is a well-known advocate of the raw foodism lifestyle promoting uncooked and unprocessed foods that are organic, sustainable, and supports...more
More about Ani Phyo...
Ani's Raw Food Kitchen: Easy, Delectable Living Foods Recipes Ani's Raw Food Essentials: Recipes and Techniques for Mastering the Art of Live Food Ani's Raw Food Asia: Easy East-West Fusion Recipes the Raw Food Way Ani’s 15-Day Fat Blast: The Kick-Ass Raw Food Plan to Get Lighter, Tighter, and Sexier … Super Fast Ani's Raw Food Detox [previously published as Ani's 15-Day Fat Blast]: The Easy, Satisfying Plan to Get Lighter, Tighter, and Sexier . . . in 15 Days or Less