Start by marking “Animal Boogie (Hardcover with CD)” as Want to Read:
Animal Boogie (Hardcover with CD)

Animal Boogie (Hardcover with CD)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Can you boogie? Down in the Indian jungle, the children and animals are learning about actions like leaping, stomping, shaking and flapping while meeting different jungle creatures
Published September 1st 2008 by Barefoot Books (first published October 19th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Boogie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Boogie

I listened to this on CD & followed along with the book

This book is sure to become a favorite for teachers in the younger classrooms. It is a book of guessing as each page tries to have you guess what animal is going to come next. There is a huge opportunity to provide learning through music and movement with this book as it is very rhythmic (especially when listening to the CD.) I listened to this on CD as well as followed along with the book and was amazed by the catchy tune as well as t
Through the jungle, the children see all different types of animals and are learning their actions, for example a child sees a leopard and learns how to leap.

I really enjoyed reading this story and rate it 5* because it is extremely active and allows children to join in by singing and dancing when the story is being told. I also enjoyed reading this story because when the story is being read to the children, clues are given before the animal is identified, such as “With a swingy swing here and
Oct 29, 2010 Marfita rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: storytime folk
Recommended to Marfita by: another children's librarian
Shelves: storytime, children-s
This was a gift from a friend. Just got around to listening to the cd that came with it and reading the text. Oh so cute! This will be a lot of fun at storytime.
Lots of movement and movement vocabulary.
Lots of animals.
This book can be used many ways: just read and sing along with movement, set the book aside and do it again hauling out the appropriate puppets, let kids hold up appropriate puppets (perhaps on sticks - I made a quick sheet of all the animals in a black and white format so they cou
This used to be one of my favorite books to read for story time when I worked at the public library. The silly song appealed to preschool-age and school-age kids. I checked this book out from the library for my son when he was about eleven months old. I thought he would enjoy the playful, colorful illustrations. He did. However, I completely underestimated how much he would enjoy the silly song about the jungle animals. I had to read (sing) this book at least once a day every day for the three w ...more
This book is full of wonderful colored pictures that keeps my daughters attention. She just loves to dance along with music on the sing along CD. The CD features Children's singer Fred Penner.

Althou I thought I would go mad, I think I heard and sung Boogie, woogie, oogie a thousand times still my daughter dances every time she hears it. This book does get her involved and gets her moving. I really like that in a book. This will be a book she can pick up and enjoy time after time.

I like that the
Kim T.
The Animal Boogie was such wild and crazy fun. My kids loved, loved, loved this book. In fact, they did not stop singing the songs...yet. Hahaha. I love books like this; books that stay in the minds and hearts of children long after they read them are always winners. There are so many things that can be done with this book. Excellent!
Loved the song introducing different animals and singing the same chorus after each one, but changing the word according to different animals movement, but the one I read didn't have the cd. :( definitely get the cd, or at least make up your own tune as you read/sing/act like animals!
Natalie Mikkides
'The Animal Boogie'is a beautifully illustrated book aimed for 3-7 year olds. This book is about the animals that live in the jungle environment and the different movements they make. On every other page the children have to guess which animal is coming next using the illustrated clue and the movement given.

The use of repetition and Onomatopoeic words to describe the movement of the jungle animals make it easy for the children to remember the words and enjoy singing and dancing along to.

From t
I very much love reading this book because it is a great sing along book, the book uses alot of repettion of the sentence 'down in the jungle' after which different animals are introduced. As you turn each page the guessing games begins. This book lets the children, adults, everyone get involved, even children who have english as an additional language can quickly pick up words due to the repettion of the sentences and the funky tune that plays along with the story.

children can have as much or l
Mrs. Fornero
My four-year-old son really has enjoyed this book for a few years now:) It is a fun and upbeat way to incorporate short rhyming riddles about animals. It also builds more background knowledge about how animals live and move in the jungle. It provides an easy opportunity to get in some rhyming practice because the riddles and picture clues allow my son to fill in the missing words. This makes it fun and interactive. Especially because it includes a catchy tune that repeats over and over! Some boo ...more
Lisa Howard
My kids loved this book and CD! We did the motions, they guessed the animals and sang the song! So fun!
Another great book from The Barefoot Book collection. This is great for teachers in the Early Years. As we travel through the jungle, we are able to guess, page-by-page, what animal is going to come next. There are great opportunities to implement cross-curricular lessons including on PE, English, Drama, Music and Art. It is rhythmic and comes with an accompanying CD.

The accompanying CD is great for early readers and we have been using this series of books to introduce reciprocal reading to the
I already know this one by heart. June's first words in the morning are "Jungle Boogie, Mommy! Jungle Boogie!" This means I have to either entertain her by putting on the Jungle Boogie song so we can dance along or sing/read the book to her 3 or 4 times. Or...distract her some other way. It's a great book. I'm glad she loves it. As always, Barefoot has done a great job selecting fabulous art and engaging story for this one!

You can buy Barefoot Books at:
This story is full of color, animals, and boogie-inducing fun! It also rhymes and has repetition. I used this story as the final story for a dance/exercise-themed bilingual story time program. I had the kids name the animals and do the motions. I didn't realize it came with a CD until later, so I will be sure to use it the next time I use this story.

(I used Cathy Fink's Hula Hoop song from her Bon Appetit! album as the goodbye song for this story time program. If you haven't heard it, check it
Animal Boogie was added to our home library many years ago.
This book has bright illustrations and includes a girl in a wheelchair in the lineup of dancing children.

You can now listen to this story via the Barefoot Books Podcast.
Seriously, I really do not like this book. There's nothing actually wrong with it, it's just so annoying. You have to say "boogie, woogie, woogie, oogie" - or something like that a thousand times. The pictures are nice and bright (and inclusive), but the repetitive text is almost more than I can stand. And unfortunately for me, both my boys have loved this one. I'm giving it a three simply to split the difference.
Having previously believed that boogie-woogie was first played by George W. Thomas of Texas in the early decades of the twentieth century, it transpires that it has actually been practised by the animal inhabitants of the Indian jungles since time immemorial.

Call your lawyers, Kool and the Gang. Don't leave the country. There may be an IP infringement case to answer.

Great fun! Used it for the first time as a Saturday Morning Fever option but it would also pair well in the Boogie Woogie Books. CD with song was included on my version. Bright and colorful pictures hint at the animal and then thrill the audience when fully exposed on the following page.
I love this book. Its catchy tune and rhyming word make it perfect for my 5 year old EAL learners.
I also love how I can pause and get them to look for and answer the question at the end of each verse (which is a very good opportunity for class interaction and oral language).
You can read it, sing it, dance along to it, turn your living room into a tropical jungle thrumming with the heartbeat of jiggering, boppity wildlife. And plus, it has a catchy-ass tune. Four thumbs-up and gets dose lazy-ass parents off the couch!
Great with the sing-along-CD. Fred Penner is a great artist and tune is super catchy. I love Debbie Herter's illustrations - there is much to point to and so many words to learn. Sadly, I know every word to this song...
Fun jungle rhyme for storytime. It gets popped up to a three star because of the inclusion of a handicapped child in the illustrations. Wish more picture books would consider this.
Bought this book from my friend who sells Barefoot Books and it is such an awesome book! We both love to sing along with the CD it's just adorable and fun!
Sep 06, 2008 Cheryl rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cheryl by: Nonnie Lonnie!
We like this book because it inconspicuously shows a kid in a wheelchair. Wren and Otis love it because it has fun pictures and a groovy tune!
Aug 13, 2008 Rachael rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachael by: Corban
Shelves: children-s
Corban LOVED this book. I think I had it memorized by the time it's due date released me from reading it again.
S'okay but I lack rhythm so I don't think I could manage it for storytime.
Katje van Loon
What a cute book with a fun song! It definitely got me dancing!
Loved it--my little brother adorew this book.
I liked when we were flapping flapping flapping
Cute book and CD for kids.
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book review 7 - The Animal Boogie 1 6 Aug 15, 2014 02:08AM
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Dirty Bertie