Start by marking “Drawn Into Darkness (Soul Gatherer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Drawn Into Darkness (Soul Gatherer, #1)

Drawn Into Darkness (Soul Gatherer #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  288 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Serving a five-hundred-year sentence as a Soul Gatherer-one who battles demons for the souls of the dead-Lachlan MacGregor keeps his distance from humans. That is, until the lovely Rachel Lewis knocks on his door, begging for help.

As they struggle to rescue her daughter from the clutches of a powerful demon, Lachlan finds himself increasingly drawn to the artistic single
Mass Market Paperback, 332 pages
Published September 1st 2009 by Signet (first published August 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Drawn Into Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawn Into Darkness

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareFallen by Lauren Kate
Books with Angels, Gods, or Demons
381st out of 1,536 books — 2,381 voters
Outlander by Diana GabaldonKiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Dark Highlander by Karen Marie MoningThe Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie MoningBeyond the Highland Mist by Karen Marie Moning
Best Highland/Scotland Romance Novels
371st out of 416 books — 1,343 voters

More lists with this book...

Shawna
4-4 ½ stars – Paranormal Romance

Drawn Into Darkness is a fascinating debut read in an inventive, unique new PNR series about modern day Soul Gatherers charged with battling demons for the souls of the dead. Author Annette McCleave has created an imaginative world where angels and demons are fighting a war for possession over the souls of the dead, with Soul Gatherers mastered by the goddess of Death, caught in the middle, and the power is starting to shift in favor of the dark side.

Former Scott
Sylvia
I loved it! Totally original with a strong, admirable heroine and a HAWT tortured hero. Delicious.
Bookaholics
Drawn Into Darkness: A Soul Gatherer Novel by Annette McCleave
Paranormal Romance – Sept. 1st, 2009
3 1/2 stars

Annette McCleave has brought to life a unique and fascinating world in her debuting book Drawn Into Darkness. I was quickly absorbed by her imaginative novel where angels and demons fight for control and power over the dead.

Lachlan MacGregor is caught in the middle. He is a soul gatherer responsible for battling demons and preventing them from stealing the souls of the dead. Atoning for
Mojca
A battle for human souls between good and evil, between Death and Satan, between Gatherers and Demons is at large. Both Death and Satan are vying for one human soul in particular, that of a fourteen-year-old girl. The only one standing between them is Lachlan MacGregor, immortal Scottish warrior.

I liked the premise and the author’s slightly different take on the good ol’ battle, but unfortunately I soon lost interest in the melee. The story was all over the place, the pacing extremely uneven, th
Romancing the Book
Review by Jen

I picked this book up at the library. I found it while scanning the shelves looking for something new to read. The fact that it was paranormal and the first book in a series (Soul Gatherers) were pluses. So I picked it up and started to read.

It look a little while for me to really get where the book was going. It starts out introducing the reader to our hero, Lachlan, by dropping us right into the middle of one of his "assignments" as a Soul Gatherer. However, it's not really explai
Laura the Highland Hussy
This wasn't quite what I expected, or maybe I just didn't quite know what to expect, but it was recommended by a friend whose books I usually like, so I gave it the ol' college try. Coming off of reading JR Ward's "Covet" I wasn't sure I was up for another angels vs demons with a human caught in between. This was way better than I expected. I like the concept of Death being a demi-god(dess) and how she takes warrior souls from Purgatory to become her Soul Gatherers.
Our hero Lachlan MacGregor, i
Beate Tinney
Lachlan MacGregor hat die Aufgabe über Emily zu wachen. Sie ist eine Dreifaltige Seele, eine menschliche Seele, die mit der Macht geboren wurde auf allen drei Ebenen wirken zu können. Himmel, Erde und Hölle.
Lachlans Aufgabe besteht auch darin, für die Herrin des Todes, als Wächter die Seelen die Toten vor den Dämonen zu schützen und diese an die Engel zu übergeben, um sie in die nächsthöhere Ebene mitzunehmen.
Emily, ein heranwachsender Teenager ist in einer rebellischen Phase. Sie hat einen Freu
Alicia
Annette McCleave's Drawn Into Darkness deserves 5 stars. The world that she has created is sexy, enticing, passionate, and fresh. I have not read a book this intriguing in a long time.

This book is an interesting tale about good vs. evil. It’s about Soul Gatherers that work for none other than Death herself. While the book revolves around the basics of heaven and hell it doesn’t insist upon a clean cut of right and wrong. Drawn Into Darkness has everything, angel and demons, Death and Soul Gather
Mishel Zabala
DRAWN INTO DARKNESS is definitely a great and promising start to this new paranormal romance series. Annette McCleave has added some very unique and inventive elements to the PNR genre. The idea of Soul Gatherers was very well thought out and written down (even in the Uncorrected Proof). I enjoyed Lachlan (although his accent was slightly annoying - sorry to the Scottish lovers out there). Lachlan is not a typical alpha male. He's actually a mixture of Alpha and gentleman in my opinion. A fresh ...more
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
I have mixed feelings on "Drawn Into Darkness" by Annette McCleave. The story was an interesting twist on the age old battle between good and evil, Heaven and Hell, and God vs. the Devil.

This story focuses on Lachlin, a sixteenth-century Scottish knight condemned to purgatory as a Soul Gatherer for Death because of the sins he committed when he was a living person, and Rachel, a single, divorced mother trying to save her teenage daughter, Emily, from an evil demon, from Lachlin's past, out to en
Jane Stewart
Overall plot was interesting, but the romance and characters were lacking. I had trouble with methods of conflict.

STORY BRIEF:
In 1603 Lachlan died after enemies killed his wife and children. Since then he has worked for Death as a soul gatherer. When someone dies, Lachlan touches him/her to collect their soul and holds it until an angel arrives to take it to heaven (or Satan’s messenger arrives to take it to hell). At times Lachlan must fight demons with swords and other weapons as they try to s
Stacy {Texas Reader}
For centuries Lachlan Macgregor has battled demon thieves for the souls of the dead, carrying out his pledge to deliver them into Heaven or Hell. But his greatest challenge as a Soul Gatherer is now among the living.

Struggling to connect with her troubled teenage daughter, Emily, artist Rachel Lewis turns to her enigmatic yet strangely compelling neighbor for advice. As Lachlan soon discovers, the girl has fallen victim to a seductive demon--a specter from the past using the unsuspecting women t
Jacquy
Inhalt: Lachlan ist ein Wächter der Seelen. Er ist dafür zuständig die Seelen der Verstorbenen einzusammeln, damit sie in den Himmel oder die Hölle gebracht werden können. Aber er hat noch eine zusätzliche Aufgabe, die er sich nicht erklären kann: Er soll auf ein Mädchen namens Emily aufpassen. Seit wann interessiert sich der Tod für Menschenleben und was ist so besonders an dem Mädchen? Lachlan rettet sie nach einem Busunfall und lernt dabei ihre Mutter kennen. Er wird schneller in das Leben de ...more
Erinaceina
Mel
Zuerst muss ich sagen, dass ich dieses Buch in der Papierversion habe und nicht in der Ebook-Version wie auf dem Blog nun zu sehen ist.

Ich habe dieses Buch im letzten Monat selbst gekauft und das Cover und der Klappentext haben mich sehr angesprochen.

Rachel ist alleinerziehende Mutter und hat mit den Tücken des Alltags zu kämpfen. Ihr Ex - Mann und Vater ihr Tochter Emily zahlt unregelmässig Unterhalt, das Geld reicht somit vorne und hinten nicht, trotz dessen dass sie die meiste Zeit des Tages
LadyMoonlight
"Gefährlich wie ein Engel" ist der erste Teil einer Reihe von Annette McCleave. Zum Inhalt werde ich hier nur sehr wenig schreiben, es ist besser wenn man beim Lesen noch einige Überraschungsmomente hat.
Seelenwächter kommen weder in den Himmel, noch in die Hölle. Sie können sich aber einen Platz im Himmel verdienen. Die Wächter müssen sich gegen Dämonen behaupten. Lachlan MagGregor muss noch 90 Jahre als Seelenwächter dienen. Eines Tages bekommt er den Auftrag, nicht nur die Seelen Verstorbener
Steph
Drawn Into Darkness is an interesting introduction to the Soul Gatherers. I wasn't sure how much I'd like this one, as I'm not a big reader of highlander warriors, but Lachlan's story was very intriguing.

Drawn Into Darkness introduces us to Lachlan MacGregor, a former Scottish Highland knight who, after taking his own life, is now in the service of Death for 500 years as a Soul Gatherer. He's currently living his life under the guise of a priest in order to discourage human contact, mainly that
Eric
Leslie
Annette McCleave's paranormal romance debut revolves around a world where the tug of war between good and evil, God and the devil, light and dark, rages on behind the scenes of everyday life.

Lachlan is the hero, under a curse for 500 years to be a Soul Gatherer for Death. Soul Gatherers are men who collect souls so that they reach their destination, whether it be heaven, hell or purgatory.

Rachel, the heroine, is a graphic artist trying to balance work, single motherhood and a teenage daughter
Ghostsoup1313
Aug 17, 2012 Ghostsoup1313 rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: romance
This book was okay. Better written than most romance novels. At least it had some form of plot. The author kept the action going which is a plus when it comes to romance novels. In so many of them NOTHING happens.

The story and characters were interesting. The pacing was good but there were some background info about the characters and unique qualities of the characters that should have been introduced earlier or at least foreshadowed earlier.

On a personal note I thought the mythology Ms. McCleav
Christine

I want to write something long usually about the books I review but honestly, all that needs to be said is that it is a decent book but with a low rating from me. I rate it low because it is by far from amazing and really good books. It passes as a ''Eh, was o k to read''.

Some will probably find this book amazing and that's o k but it's a typical romance, with a few catches here and there and the rest was something I usually read in every romance novel. Hell, I'm writing my own romance novels.
Jaimie
I really enjoyed this book. It didn't leave me dying to read the next book, but that's mainly because I didn't see the set-up for the next book, I'm sure if I break down and read the excerpt for the next book I'll be dying to read it. I think there was a little bit of inconsistency in some wording though. The story is about people in purgatory who have to gather the souls of dead people and pass them off to someone who will guide them to Heaven or Hell. So it's a God vs. Satan type of world but ...more
Crissy
I love reading paranormal books but when it came to this book I just couldn't get into it. I read the whole book and it did not leave me wanting to read any more books in the series.
Marianna
I finished it. I did skim after awhile. The story was okay. But they kept going on about their 'impossible love' and since this is a romance you know everything will turn out right as rain. It was annoying.

The baddie was a baddie I guess...but there was something that didn't ring true about his act.

Anything with bratty teenagers can get on my nerves...and that happened a little with this book.

The s3x was funny. The main dude was all, 'Let me be in control, baby.' It was just hilarious. And the h
Cindi
I really liked the premise for this book; it was unique and not done to death like so many PNR themes are. The worldbuilding was good and discretely inserted where necessary. Characters were the weak spot in this book, however. I loved the Scottish hero, Lachlan, and not just because of his delightful accent! But Rachael never did it for me and in fact, her character made it hard to feel a part of this book. I plan to read the next book in the series but I will search for it at the library rathe ...more
Tracey
Good story overall but little 'oomph' and could have been improved with just a little more character development. As this is the first in a series I think think the story is impacted by the many characters introduced but I did not feel I got a good feeling of substance to the characters emotions and reasons for their actions.

One of those stories where I could tell while reading that each new plot development was added conveniently to carry the story on to the end so I could not 'sink' myself tot
Sara
I liked it. Wasn't sure I would with the whole Soul Gathering thing. The Scots are fascinating but the "bairns" word always trips me up. Am I pronouncing it right in my head? There are some other words that get used with Scottish characters that I only have a vague idea of their meaning, but oh well, back to the book.
I found that I was VERY emotionally involved with this book. I'm just glad no one was around to see me reacting to the moving passages of this book.
Jackie (Literary Escapism)
Overall, this is a great start to a new paranormal romance series and Annette McCleave is going to have a smashing hit on her hands. Drawn into Darkness comes out tomorrow morning and you will definitely want to be at the bookstore to get your hands on a copy. Or at least bug your librarians for copies.

To read my full review, click here.
Jamie
I am always looking for a different kind of read. That's why JR Ward is my absoluete, favorite author. This author is along those lines. Annette McCleave has pushed the envelope with this series. I have thoroughly enjoyed Drawn into the Darkness. The story line is involved and there's action, and of course, romance. I can't wait to start the second book in the series.
Danica Avet
I enjoyed this book very much. It was a wonderful new spin on an old idea and McCleave made it work!

I like to think of it as a mix of 'Constantine' and 'Terminator 2' but with a lot more romance. Lachlan is a wonderful tortured hero and Rachel is a fabulous tough chick protective mother. Gotta love that!!
What's The Name o...: Paranormal Romance with a Scottish Soul Guardian [s] 3 148 Dec 18, 2012 04:03PM
  • Seduced By Shadows (Marked Souls, #1)
  • Warrior Ascended (Sons of the Zodiac, #1)
  • Claimed by the Wolf (Shadow Guardians, #1)
  • Nightkeepers (Nightkeepers, #1)
  • Marked by Passion (The Guardians of Destiny, #1)
  • Masked by Moonlight (Moonlight, #1)
  • Running Scared (Sentinel Wars, #3)
  • Sins of the Heart (Otherkin, #1)
  • His Darkest Hunger (Jaguar Warriors, #1)
  • Dark Side of Dawn (Nightmare Chronicles, #2)
  • Shadow Marked (Demon Bound, #1)
  • Immortal Warrior (Immortal Brotherhood, #1)
  • My Wicked Enemy (My Immortals #1)
  • Fallen (Eyes of the Republic, #1)
  • Night Falls Darkly (Shadow Guard, #1)
  • Demon Can't Help It (New Orleans Vampires, #3)
  • Something Wicked
  • Embrace of the Damned (Brotherhood of the Damned, #1)
Annette McCleave is an RWA® Golden Heart winner for Best Paranormal Romance and a Golden Heart finalist in Historical Romance. She has published three paranormal romances with NAL Signet Eclipse and several stories on her own.
More about Annette McCleave...
Bound By Darkness (Soul Gatherer, #2) Surrender to Darkness (Soul Gatherer, #3) Tempting the Knight: A Novella Dark Deceiver