Start by marking “Beyond Baby Talk: From Sounds to Sentences--A Parent's Complete Guide to Language Development” as Want to Read:

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
From "Goo" to Gab — Guiding Your Child to Effective Communication
The first five years of a child's life are the most critical for speech and language development, and, as a parent, you are your child's primary language role model. So what are the best ways to help your child develop the all-important skill of communication? Fun, easy, and engaging, this book shows you how!
Published June 26th 2001 by Harmony (first published June 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Baby Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Baby Talk

Jeremy
Sep 22, 2014 Jeremy rated it it was ok
Shelves: lanuguage, parenting
The content of this book is mediocre. The first four chapters are useful for establishing benchmarks for your child. The rest of the book suffers from being either common sense, uninteresting, or outdated. Of course the last problem isn't the authors' fault since the book was published in 2001, but discussions of VHS tapes certainly feel dated. The entire section on media needs a revision, not only because technology has changed so much, but because the authors do not even discuss how music may ...more
Jenn
Jan 10, 2015 Jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: own-it, for-the-babes
Not a bad book. A lot of the info was common sense, in my opinion - and the authors were a little too thorough in their explanations at times. The way they presented info was redundant most of the time, which I know is best to retain what you're learning - but that made it a little boring. I liked the chapter about the effects of media on language development - probably the most interesting part of the book. Overall, it's a good resource.
Anne
Sep 15, 2009 Anne rated it liked it
I learned some interesting tidbits about infant language development from this book, but I wish it had gone into more detail. It is really an overview of the topic, but since linguistics is an interest of mine, I want more detail. I chose this book for its layperson language, but it turned out to be a bit too simplified for me. I want to know more, but I don't want to have to read a dissertation!
Tara
Sep 05, 2008 Tara rated it liked it
This book provides a lot of good, basic information on language development, and I would recommend it for new parents. I found that much of the information was redundant from my many classes in speech pathology. Even more than that, I actually retained some information so parts of the book were a little bit boring to me. But like I said, good information is provided, overall.
Lindsay
Jul 31, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for parents who want to know just a little bit more about language development. Very reader friendly, down to earth, with doable suggestions when they are given. I would love an updated version!
Krys
May 12, 2013 Krys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly awesome! Loved the chapter on the influence of media! I wish it had incorporated more info. on actives to do with your child to increase language development!
Michelle
Oct 28, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
A little to simplified for an SLP, but a good resource for those unfamiliar with speech and language development.
Christine Turner
American Speech - Language - Hearing Association

Note: Easy read and great resource for parents!
Merrie
Mar 29, 2010 Merrie rated it really liked it
Very helpful book on language development-- great present from language expert and good bud Kath.
Amanda Russell
Amanda Russell rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Mr Anthony Ryan
Mr Anthony Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Michelle M. Gross
Michelle M. Gross rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Alicia
Alicia added it
Feb 19, 2016
Angelina
Angelina is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2016
Stephanie Eames
Stephanie Eames rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Meribeth Underwood
Meribeth Underwood rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Meribeth Underwood
Meribeth Underwood rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Amera
Amera added it
Nov 01, 2015
Szilvia Szucs
Szilvia Szucs marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Ruthanne Scott
Ruthanne Scott rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Umamah Anas
Umamah Anas marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Godwin Samuel
Godwin Samuel marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2015
Alaa
Alaa added it
Feb 12, 2015
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015