Start by marking “The Ideal Wife” as Want to Read:
The Ideal Wife

The Ideal Wife

Jana Collins loves her husband with all her heart. But what if love isn’t enough?

Marrying a handsome, wealthy lawyer and living in a Hollywood Hills mansion…it’s a dream come true for twenty-four-year-old Jana, from the moment Lawrence Collins swept her off her feet and into his luxurious world. True, she put her studies at a local Bible college on hold in order tow ed aft
Published October 6th 2009 by Gallery Books (first published September 22nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Ideal Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ideal Wife

Nardsbaby Reader
As is Fitting

Jana, a modest young woman with a strong relationship with God, lucked out and married Lawrence, a wealthy lawyer, who she truly loves. All she wants is to please her husband. Even if it means leaving her church, growing her hair and putting her schooling on hold, Jana will. While meeting a few of Lawrence's needs, Jana finds herself letting go of her inhibitions and transitioning into a different person.

Lawrence has found the second Mrs. Collins. From her saggy clothing to her sh
OOSA
Nov 01, 2009 OOSA rated it it was amazing
A Trophy Wife

Jana has met the man of her dreams. Lawrence is a wealthy, handsome attorney. And he's a Christian. He meets all of her expectations and more. God has truly blessed her with a good husband. The lord has also blessed Lawrence with a good wife. Jana is a Christian, beautiful, intelligent and she loves to cook.

They dated for six months and then he made all of her dreams come true when he provided her with the wedding of her dreams. Now that they are home from their honeymoon, Jana is
Yvette
Jun 18, 2011 Yvette rated it it was ok
This was my first book by Jacquelin Thomas and for me this book was VERY slow! It dragged on and on and I found myself speed reading just to get through it! The subject matter was very interesting and the characters were as well, its just that the book never have ANY climatic moments, it stayed at level ONE all the way through. Even the moments that were meant to be explosive weren't to me! I had no emotional reaction to anything that I read. I felt like there were a LOT of filler pages, informa ...more
Helen C
Aug 17, 2015 Helen C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
After marrying a handsome, wealthy lawyer and living in his luxurious Hollywood Hills mansion and trying to be the perfect wife. Found the price she had to pay to much her husband wanted her to be something she was not. The man she thought she knew was changing her values and her faith. Decided to put her trust in God and follow his guiding light out of the darkness of a broken relationship.
Sherry McFarland
Nov 09, 2010 Sherry McFarland rated it it was ok
This book dealt with deception, lies and betrayal. It also shows how people can take the bible and twist the word/meaning to fit thier purpose. The plot of this book kept repeating itself to the point where it became annoying. I have enjoyed other books by this author this just was not one of my favorites.
Shawntay F
Feb 24, 2011 Shawntay F rated it liked it
I could have gone a lifetime and not read this book. It was not what I expected at all. As a Christian I felt this novel gave a strict close-minded view of Christian values. While I agree 100% with the intent of the book I just feel Jana came off as a bit too June Cleaverish. She just seemed a bit unrealistic for today's society. I get the message but I just wished it was delivered better.
Cicely
Aug 23, 2011 Cicely rated it really liked it
I had this book in my collection for a few years & decided to give it a try. It was a interesting read, although, I figured out the plot before it really got good. I will be reading more from this author.
Joi
Nov 15, 2014 Joi rated it liked it
This book was very predictable. I enjoyed it for what it was though.
Brenda Brown
Nov 22, 2016 Brenda Brown rated it liked it
I knew from the start that this book would be predictable. What I didn't know was it was a slow drag read. So much was added to fill out the story and try to keep it going as much as possible. Does money change you and make you see things differently? Absolutely. Does a handsome man who is all you ever wanted change your perception of life? Absolutely. Then the dream becomes a reality and you are straddling the fence, trying to decide which life to choose. A lot is given about Jana and her relig ...more
Clare
Jul 14, 2010 Clare rated it it was ok
Picture Lifetime Movie Network meets BET meets Bravo. The story-telling is over the top and exaggerated, but that's why I enjoy this trashy novel.

Jana drops out of Bible College to marry Lawrence, a wealthy lawyer. Lawrence gives her an allowance and asks her to dress better. Slowly, he undermines her confidence, criticizing the little things until Jana believes she's not being a good wife. And when Lawrence invites her to participate in an orgy with his best friend and his wife, he slips Jana e
Latiffany
Jan 19, 2012 Latiffany rated it it was ok
This was my first time reading a book by this author. I thought the book was okay. I did not find it to be a remarkable story. I can't remember what drew me to this story, I just know that it has been on my to-read shelf for a while now.

I didn't love any of the characters (I'm starting to miss that feeling-insert sad face). Even though, Jana's husband tried to take her in a questionable direction during their marriage, I did find her to be a bit prudish. I too am a Christian, but didn't agree t
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Jun 13, 2012 My Book Addiction and More MBA rated it really liked it
THE IDEAL WIFE by Jacquelin Thomas is a Christian Contemporary Fiction/Women’s Fiction. Is is written with the scripture tale of Queen Vasti. It is the story of newlywed Jana Collins and her husband Lawrence Collins,an attorney with dark secrets that jeopardize his marriage. A christian wife marries a man with different views on religious beliefs,including the “swinging” life style. Lawrence wants to show off his beautiful wife. “His Ideal Wife” but he goes further by wanting her to do thinks ag ...more
Monique
Apr 14, 2011 Monique rated it really liked it
Jana was swept off her feet by attorney Lawrence Collins. After the honeymoon the strange differences started showing up until Jana couldn't take it anymore. Being secure in her relationship with God, she steps out on faith and changes her life. Lawrence will hopefully realize the errors of his ways before he catches something he can’t get rid of. The supporting characters add to the story while helping to provide a clear example of the Christian way of life. Thomas clearly illustrates the bibli ...more
Monique
May 16, 2014 Monique rated it it was ok
I have read book by this author in the past. This was not one of her better books. Jana meets Lawrence and after 6 months of dating they get married. I figured out the story line right away. Jan's husband is a swinger and in my opinion only married her because she was inexperienced and naive. I wanted to slap Jana. No one can possibly be this naive and clueless. There were red flags from the beginning. I'm glad Jana got some courage and left her husband and found herself. Overall fans of Jacquel ...more
Akilam
Sep 13, 2016 Akilam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-at-work-shelf
I really did Lovvvve this book. I liked the flow and boy was it refreshing to not see errors. Whoever edited this book did a fantastic job.
Jana got on my nerves at times, and that doggone Lawrence, I was trippin. I loved the spice Graciela added. Their friendship made me laugh. Pleased with Lela's choice as well.
I wanted to see them come to a happy place, and along came Cindy.
This book was my at work read... since we can't have phones/tablets.
Belinda
Jul 22, 2012 Belinda rated it it was amazing
Excellent!!! This book proves that you should stand for what you believe in regardless of someone trying to sway you, esp. If you are a Christian. God and His word don't change. Satan and the world will spin things and do. Jana was my girl in this book. She literally gave up her marriage rather than compromise her beliefs. How many of us would go that far? Single and married women should read this book. Rated 10+++ by me!

Angela Anderson
Jul 19, 2016 Angela Anderson rated it it was amazing
Love...Commitment...Betrayal...Compassion

To stay or not to stay...to submit or not submit. You laugh, you cry, you rejoice all in the same novel.
Change is good but at what cost? When and where do you draw the line for your peace of mind? Is true love worth loosing oneself in the process. Great read for new and old Jacquelin Thomas fans. You will enjoy this emotional but interesting love story.
cassandra Shackelford
Awesome

I truly enjoyed the story. We all know someone who can take the word of God and turn to fit their lifestyle. This book shows just how we can get caught up in thinking and believing the wrong things. This was an awesome story about marriage and how it can be used the wrong way.
Amanda
Mar 09, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: review
Did not realize this was a Christian romance novel when I requested it for review. I'm not really into romance novels (unless they're extraordinary and subtle, like Memoirs of a Geisha), and I'm definitely not into Christian fiction. I tried not to hold those things against the book, though. If it's your thing, the writing holds up well enough.
J.
Aug 13, 2009 J. rated it it was amazing
Jacquelin Thomas has done it again. Tackling a bold (and perhaps controversial)subject with tastful presentation. How far would a loving wife go to please her husband? A roller-coaster of emotions vs. godly conscience -- yet a strong moral lesson is revealed. A must read.
Deborah Paige-Jackson
A good, gentle read with lots of religious connotations. I like how the main character used the bible as her standard for living. I didn't like that she waited until she got married to get to know her husband on all levels.
Damika
Nov 12, 2009 Damika rated it liked it
The main character come across as a little self-righteous and naive, almost to the point that it was sickening. I like happily ever afters, and this just didn't do it for me. Plus, it was kind of predictable.
Chandra
Aug 09, 2012 Chandra rated it it was amazing
Really good book! This book is a perfect example of why couples need to really communicate before getting married and make sure they are on the same page spiritually and idealistically. Wonderfully written, and very thought provoking!
Shanique Nelson
Mar 22, 2013 Shanique Nelson rated it it was amazing
Gosh, I love this book! I loaned it to my friends one at a time to read. This book opened my eyes to so many things n taught me how seriously things can not be the way they appear and how we need to be extra careful about the decisions we make.
Veronica Jones
Mar 01, 2016 Veronica Jones rated it liked it
Shelves: drama-goodread
Truly enjoyed reading this novel, it just goes to show that you don't always know everything about your spouse..... What an Eye Opener
Mz. Yvette  D
Jan 14, 2013 Mz. Yvette D rated it it was amazing
Great read. amazing characters. Basically, do we love man more than we love God. Will we go outside of our beliefs to satisfy man? Loved the story!
Lucia
Nov 10, 2014 Lucia rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, Lawrence character was something else, but Jana's character made me want to slap her a couple of times. Lol. Not your typical love story the ending was very refreshing.
Kat
Mar 12, 2013 Kat rated it liked it
on the one hand it was well written and moved so nicely that i did not want to stop reading

on the other hand it is an unrealistic premise and it pushes the situation to try and teach a narrow point
Rachel
Apr 18, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
This story is about a new bride she thinks she married prince charming but the true is another she is in for a surprise!!
Demetri Carter
Oct 13, 2014 Demetri Carter rated it it was amazing
I loved that fact that she did not waver against her faith; regardless to how she was claimed as not being "submissive" to her husband.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Practicing What You Preach (The Blessed Trinity Series, #4)
  • The Devil is a Lie
  • Joy
  • My Soul Cries Out
  • Speak to My Heart (Spirit and Soul #1)
  • The Last Woman Standing
  • The Bishop's Daughter
  • Divas of Damascus Road
  • Up at the College
  • Love Like Hallelujah (Hallelujah Love #2)
Jacquelin Thomas is an award winning, best selling author with 50+ titles published. Her books have garnered several awards, including two EMMA awards, the Romance In Color Reviewers Award, Readers Choice Award and the Atlanta Choice Award in the Religious & Spiritual category. Jacquelin was a 2005 honoree at the Houston Black Film Festival for the movie adaptation of her novel, Hidden Blessin ...more
More about Jacquelin Thomas...