Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Pillowcase” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Pillowcase

Nate the Great and the Pillowcase (Nate the Great #24)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  25 reviews
These chapter books introduce beginning readers to the detective mystery genre. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

It's two o'clock in the morning when the telephone rings and Nate the Great learns that Rosamond's pillowcase is missing. She needs it now because her cat, Big Hex, likes to sleep on it.

Ou
Published November 1st 1995 by Yearling (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great and the Pillowcase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great and the Pillowcase

Thea Stilton and the Cherry Blossom Adventure by Thea StiltonNate the Great and the Pillowcase by Marjorie Weinman SharmatFancy Nancy by Jane O'ConnorThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussAmelia Bedelia Talks Turkey by Herman Parish
Francie's & Jane's list
2nd out of 87 books — 3 voters
The Great Turkey Heist by Gertrude Chandler WarnerShiloh by Phyllis Reynolds NaylorBarbie in a Mermaid Tale by Christy WebsterCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteBy the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Fond du Lac Kids Book Reviews
40th out of 58 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 3 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 15 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Clinton Brown
In this book Nate was sleeping then the telphone rang. Then he woke-up answered
the phone it was Rosamond.She asked if him could he come over. Then Nate and his
dog went to Rosamond's house. Then Rosamond told him what the problem was she said
that Big Hex's pillowcase was missing.Then they went to Annie's house to try an find
the pillowcase so when they got there they started to investagatethey didn't find
anything . Then they went to eat some pancakes for breakfast the man at the counter
had somet
Rosa Cline
Nate the Great is a little boy in the neighborhood that other kids call on to solve mysteries when they have them. He and his dog love to solve mysteries. And in these books they are a good way to introduce your child to chapter books and mysteries. Often time the words are repeatative so if you have a merging into harder books then these books would help your child's self esteem as once they got the words from the first few pages then they'll be able to read them later on in the book. It is an ...more
Christy

yusi
Aug 03, 2015 yusi added it
Nate woke up at 2 o'clock in the morning because of Rosamond's call.
Rosamond said that she lost cat's pillowcase and asked him for finding it.
Nate was very sleepy but he would take the case.
This story is odd. Nate was just a kid, but he went out and looked around for cat's pillowcase at 2 a.m.

This is just a story... just a story.
Mark Baker
Nate is awakened at night to find a cat's pillowcase. Will he find it in time to get back to sleep? Another fun and creative mystery perfect for pre-schoolers.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
A.
In general, I like how the writer uses simple writing style that suits the reader’s age, and at the same time provides a simple mystery.

In the Pillowcase mystery, Nate the Great asked the right questions and followed the right threads, yet he was somehow misled. His investigations excluded all the suspects, and the only way to solve it was to try and look at the facts from a different point of view. The ending was unexpected-as usual-for the pillowcase turned to be the laundry bag or that what s
Heather
My son very much enjoys reading these books, and they are cleverly written for emergent readers. This was the first one he actually read himself. He loves to try to figure out the mystery as he reads. (This one stumped him longer than the others.)
The premise is that Nate's friend Rosamond has lost the pillowcase for her cat Big Hex. Nate has been asked to find it. He searches everywhere with is dog and eventually finds it in the end (as always).
I thoroughly enjoy listening to my son read and g
Seth
Rosamond called Nate in the middle of the night. Because she lost a pillowcase. Nobody knew it but it was used as a laundry basket.
Kaethe
for the PandaBat. Unfortunately for an adult reader, the humor is pretty much limited to the title pun.
Natalie Poe
2nd grade reading list
Michelle. D.
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Casey
A great series for kids, the illustrations and short mysteries are excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and felt silly relating to the "strange" friend Rosamond who was obsessed with her cats. It was very cute. I liked how Nate was free to get up and roam his neighbor hood at 2am, it's a freedom children don't get to enjoy but could easily think about and have fun with. I love these stories and would be nice to have in a lower elementary classroom for choice reading.
Dolly
May 31, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is another fun mystery in the "Nate the Great" series. He refers to himself as Nate the Great and the books in this series have a bit of the old gumshoe feel to them. I keep waiting for Nate the Great to call one of the girls a dame. This story was a bit odd because it had Nate out solving a mystery at 2 a.m., but it is just a story, right?
John Hostetter
Another great mystery series, I enjoyed the fun and relatable "everyday" story setting, kids should love seeing how it all ties together in the end, maybe even the teachers as well! This would be a good base to get students to create their own mysteries or break off into groups and everyone solves a separate Nate the Great story!
Kristine Pratt
Nate the Great is up all night, chasing down a pillowcase belonging to a cat. Funny and interesting. As a kid I would have loved to have wandered all over town in the middle of the night. As a parent I'd read this one with my kid and explain just why that's NOT a good idea. O.o
Eugene
it was a hard book for my son to read, but we did it as a team. This story is about Nate the Great finding a stupid pillowcase(David's words not mine). Rosamond waking up Nate and Annie for no reason at all. But it was a fun book.
Chak
Oct 19, 2009 Chak rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kid
Nate the Great is just that. I particularly like his strange friend Rosamond, who, while not named as such in the book, is totally goth. This book revolved around a Rosamond mystery, which was fun.
Victorb
Rosamond calls Nate because the pollowcase is missing. The pillowcase belongs to Big Hex. Nate gets dressed and goes out into the dark.
(typed by C Francis)
Kaylen Matherly
These books are great for emergent readers. It's a series the introduces children to mysteries and problem solving.
Schmobes
Level 4. Kiddo loves Nate the Great. Detectives and humor...right up his alley!
Shelley
We've only checked this one out from the library but we loved it.
Ben Caves
I learned you really have to search to find stuff.
Bea
Aug 05, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
SM
Anna Kouadio
Anna Kouadio marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Dinosaur Game (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • The Lucky Lottery (A to Z Mysteries, #12)
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • Help! A Vampire's Coming! (Ready, Freddy!, #6)
  • Biscuit's New Trick
  • Poppleton
  • Happy Birthday, Danny and the Dinosaur!
  • The Case of the Secret Valentine (Jigsaw Jones, #3)
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Commander Toad in Space (Commander Toad)
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • I am Invited to a Party!
  • Horrible Harry and the Goog
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Missing Dinosaur Bone
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue
  • Nate the Great and the Sticky Case
  • Nate the Great and the Missing Key
  • Nate the Great and the Snowy Trail
  • Nate the Great and the Fishy Prize
  • Nate the Great Stalks Stupidweed
  • Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag
Nate the Great Nate the Great Goes Undercover Nate the Great and the Big Sniff Nate the Great and the Missing Key Nate the Great and the Sticky Case