Guardians of Being

Guardians of Being

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  655 ratings  ·  113 reviews
This wonderfully unique collaboration brings together two masters of their fields, joining original words by spiritual teacher Eckhart Tolle with delightful illustrations by Patrick McDonnell, the creator of the acclaimed comic strip MUTTS. Every heartwarming page provokes thought, insight, and smiling reverence for all beings and each moment.

More than a collection of witt...more
Published October 1st 2009 by New World Library (first published September 2009)

Mel
The human says, "I love myself", or, "I hate myself."
The dog says, "Woof, woof," which, translated, means I am myself.

I call that integrity -- being one with yourself.
Charlie Traphagan
A wonderfully light and fluffy read on our best friend and how they help guide us into being. :)
lita
Jun 01, 2010 lita rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: misc
True happiness is found in simple, seemingly unremarkable things,
But to be aware of little, quiet things, you need to be quiet inside
A high degree of alertness is required.
Be still. Look. Listen. Be present.

---

Most of us live in a world of mental abstraction, conceptualization, and image making - a world of thought.
We are immersed in a continuous stream of mental noise.
It seems that we can't stop thinking.

---

Just as the dog loves to chew bones, the human mind loves its problems.
Cornerofmadness

Depending on who you are both of these names might be familiar. Tolle is a prolific spiritual writer and McDonnell is the artist for Mutts comic. They teamed up to produce this delightful little book. It’s really McDonnell’s art that makes the book. Tolle’s portion is to offer up zen sayings about life and the stillness of being etc but McDonnell’s art (using his Mutts characters) brings it to life. It’s a destressor of a book. The only drawback is it’s only worth the stiff hardback cover pric...more
Kim
Chris brought this book home from the library yesterday and I just sat down to thumb through it and found myself sucked in. It's a quick read, but one you'll want to go through more than once. The illustrations are delightful and really touching, fellow pet owners / animal lovers will agree. And I've always loved the words of Eckhart Tolle, despite my knee-jerk reaction to the word "God."

In short: Eckhart Tolle + Patrick McDonnell = Major Win.
Jamil
I know nothing about Eckhart Tolle, but judging by this book (which may or may not be fair), his "philosophy" is just a deculturated buddhism.

I am really fond of Patrick McDonnell's MUTTS though, and my only disappointment was that some of the illustrations were repurposed from old strips and not unique to this book.

My favorite bit was this line:

"I have lived with many Zen Masters, all of them cats."
Pamela Kramer
Guardians of Being by Eckhart Tolle and Patrick McDonnell is a little gem of a book for any animal lover.

The iconic drawings of Patrick McDonnell (of Mutts) and the thoughts that Eckhart Tolle creates to accompany them are truly delightful.

"The vital function that pets fulfill in this world hasn't been fully recognized. They keep millions of people sane." And the dog in the illustration is looking back at the man at the other end of the leash and saying, "heal."

The message, told in many differen...more
Tim
It was Patrick McDonnell, the creator of the popular cartoon series Mutts, that first came up with the idea of approaching spiritual author Eckhart Tolle with the notion of a collaboration.

After all McDonnell’s simple, animal cartoons, often convey the essence of appreciating the world we live in while bring it down to the most basic level of the world of pets.

Echhart agreed, added some tweaks to McDowell’s original idea, and the result is ‘Guardians of Being,’ which is both a illustrated book a...more
Tami
We could learn a lot from our pets. Cats can spend hours perfectly relaxed in the warmth of a beam of light. Dogs are always fully present when they play. Cats and dogs live in the moment and are always fully present. They don’t doubt themselves or question their value. It is for this reason that they are the Guardians of Being.

Guardians of Being is written by Eckhart Tolle, author of The Power of Now and A New Earth. His words are then accompanied by illustrations by Mutts creator Patrick McDo...more
Beth
Wonderful book about the value of animals as spiritual teachers. A friend gave it to me when my dog Daisy died. I plan to pass it on to another grieving family that is losing their animal companion. For all ages, and illustrated by the creator of the comic strip Mutts. Highly recommended.
Shonna Froebel
I picked this one up because I'm a huge Mutts fan. It is a short, thoughtful book that encourages you to be in the moment, showing how our animals can help us remember to no think, but to be. McDonnell's art is wonderful, of course, and some of it is from previous work in his Mutts series, as our the characters used. A reminder of what is important in life, and how to take the time to enjoy life for what it is. Just like his comic art predecessor Charles Schultz, McDonnell reminds us with the he...more
Deborah Brown
Cute book,into the now.especially liked{I have lived with many zen masters,all of them cats}
Katie
Sweetest book ever! I am a fan of the author and the artist separately and was so excited to learn that they created a book together. Now I know why the Mutts comic struck a chord with me a couple years ago... McDonnell's work is influenced by his spiritual side. I found some of Tolle's books to be too abstract for me, but McDonnell's illustrations coupled with Tolle's words make the ideas much more accessible. I read through the book quickly and found myself laughing aloud often, but I plan to...more
Kathy
Still looking for ways to involve my particular kids in these teachings
Blisseth
Katie
Such a poignant perspective on life. Charming.
Tattered Cover Book Store
Cathy says:

Inhabited by McDonnell's beloved "Mutts" characters, and with text by the author of "The Power of Now," this spiritual teacher's guide inspires readers of all stripes to recognize the lessons of the present moment, as embodied by the dogs and cats who share our world.

Jackie says:

Ordinarily I find Eckhart Tolle a bit over the top, but combined with Patrick McDonnell's sweet illustrations, this book won me over. It's a wonderful book for anyone who believes in the peace and joy that pe...more
Cindy
Jan 28, 2010 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Cindy by: Holly
Read for the North Houston Book Club.

I adore the art of Patrick McDonnell, and might have missed this book, due to the Eckhart Tolle connection. Not that I have anything against Tolle, or what little I know of his writing - I simply tend away from the metaphysical in my reading. I'm very glad that Holly suggested this for the February dual selection. As a long time fan of McDonnell I knew it had to be pleasing to look at, and the message is beautiful, and obvious, although judging by the world t...more
Peacegal
Mutts goes woo-woo. Guardians of Being is a nicely presented juxtaposition of McDonnell's sweet, scribbly newspaper cartoon, "Mutts," with vaguely Eastern-inspired quotes from Tolle about living in the moment. While I liked the layout of the book, I just can't get too excited about all of these over-earnest "seize the day" messages. I have the tendency to laugh at "uplifting" stuff because such is neither my experience nor philosophy of life.
Katrina Kenison
The perfect gift book for any animal lover. Tolle's words and McDonnell's illustrations are a perfect match, full of soul and deep wisdom delivered with a light touch.
Myth Girl
A beautiful collection of quotes and illustrations that teach us how to learn mindfulness from our pets. Every pet owner will enjoy this!! Our cats and dogs really are amazing creatures. I plan to reread this many times!!!
"Allow nature to teach you stillness."
"When you pet a dog or listen to a cat purring, thinking may subside for a moment and a space of stillness arises within you, a doorway into Being."
Kayne
Dec 25, 2009 Kayne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dog and cat lovers
Such a sweet book! It explains what a positive difference pets make in the lives of their owners. Owners already know, but for people who think that pets require too much of our time and attention, this book explains that the time you give your pets comes back to you in healthy, life-expanding years. I always loved Patrick McDonnell's MUTTS cartoon strip and his illustrations really complete the text.
Kristina
Mar 07, 2013 Kristina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone and everyone
Shelves: read-in-2013
My nine year old son read this to me. He has no idea who Tolle is, but loves Mutts so he had to read it. Halfway into the book he said, "This sounds like the type of book you would write mom..." At least my son knows me well.

Great book, especially for those who are daunted by Tolle's other books. Very easy read, but full of spirit and truth.
Heather
This book is not at all what I expected - a quick read (I almost thought it was a children's book - I had to double check the library call number to be sure). "ok" seems like a perfect rating to me, but if you're looking for a Tolle book because of your interest in his other works, I wouldn't bother.
Kirsten
This was a fast read. I think it took me 10 minutes. A little repetitive, but with a couple great thoughts. I liked the comic where the guy says "Gee, I wonder what time it is." The dog starts barking "Now, Now, Now!" "Dogs always know what time it is." the man states.

Very cute and heartwarming.
Maya
Loved it. Beautiful text by Eckhart Tolle and illustrations by Patrick McDonnell. Reminds me of what's important in life--living in the present, love, and the beauty of nature and the world around me. If you're an animal lover and/or have a pet or even if you don't, it's a fun, touching read.
Michelle
What a wonderful book for children! A bit too advanced for my 4 year old but Carter really loved it! We both remembered signing this song in church after we read it.
I have arrived, I am home,
In the here and in the now.
I am solid, I am free,
In the ultimate I dwell.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Abby
While I LOVE the message of this book, I was a little frustrated that it didn't apply to a broader audience like most of the other books Patrick McDonnell illustrates. Still, I really enjoyed the book and still re-read it. I'm all for the connection between animal care and human respect.
Angie
this amazing picture book of Eckart Tolle's engaging and deeply resonating words, combined with lovely and simple cartoons by Patrick McDonnell, is an uplifting and quietly beautiful book of peace and serenity. gives me an even greater appreciation for animals and myself.
Elizabeth Olson
An unexpectedly adorable collaboration between spiritual guru Eckhart Tolle and "Mutts" comic creator Patrick McDonnell, where Tolle's words & McDonnell's illustrations and comics pair in a delightful reminder to revel in the ordinary beauty of life all around us.
  • Just Like Heaven
  • You Can Heal Your Life Companion Book
  • The Mind of the Soul: Responsible Choice
  • Things Hidden: Scripture as Spirituality
  • Spiritual Solutions: Answers to Life's Greatest Challenges
  • Flawed Dogs: The Year-End Leftovers At The Piddleton "Last     Chance" Dog Pound
  • Manifesting Change: It Couldn't Be Easier
  • After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path
  • The End of Your World: Uncensored Straight Talk on the Nature of Enlightenment
  • Celebrating the Great Mother: A Handbook of Earth-Honoring Activities for Parents and Children
  • Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion
  • Watching the Tree to Catch a Hare: A Chinese Daughter Reflects on Happiness, Spiritual Beliefs and Universal
  • The Parent's Tao Te Ching: Ancient Advice for Modern Parents
Eckhart Tolle , born Ulrich Leonard Tolle, February 16, 1948, is a German-born writer, public speaker, and spiritual teacher. The New York Times has called him "the most popular spiritual author in the nation". He is the author of the bestsellers "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth".
Tolle had an unhappy childhood in Germany and Spain. His depression reached its peak during early adulthood in Engla...more
More about Eckhart Tolle...
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from the Power of Now Stillness Speaks Realizing the Power of Now

“Just as the dog loves to chew bones, the human mind loves its problems.” 8 likes
“Just watching an animal closely can take you out of your mind and bring you into the present moment, which is where the animal lives all the time -- surrendered to life.” 6 likes