Start by marking “Guardians of Being” as Want to Read:
Guardians of Being

Guardians of Being

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,056 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
This wonderfully unique collaboration brings together two masters of their fields, joining original words by spiritual teacher Eckhart Tolle with delightful illustrations by Patrick McDonnell, the creator of the acclaimed comic strip MUTTS. Every heartwarming page provokes thought, insight, and smiling reverence for all beings and each moment.

More than a collection of witt
Published October 1st 2009 by New World Library (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Guardians of Being, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guardians of Being

Science Ink by Carl ZimmerRadioactive by Lauren RednissFeathers by Thor HansonFearless Teaching by Stuart GrauerClara & the Lands of the South by Anthony Paolucci
Holiday Books for 2011
26th out of 39 books — 6 voters
A Death Displaced by Andrew  ButcherThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Good books
25th out of 25 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Mel
Apr 25, 2010 Mel rated it it was amazing
The human says, "I love myself", or, "I hate myself."
The dog says, "Woof, woof," which, translated, means I am myself.

I call that integrity -- being one with yourself.
Cornerofmadness
Feb 10, 2010 Cornerofmadness rated it really liked it

Depending on who you are both of these names might be familiar. Tolle is a prolific spiritual writer and McDonnell is the artist for Mutts comic. They teamed up to produce this delightful little book. It’s really McDonnell’s art that makes the book. Tolle’s portion is to offer up zen sayings about life and the stillness of being etc but McDonnell’s art (using his Mutts characters) brings it to life. It’s a destressor of a book. The only drawback is it’s only worth the stiff hardback cover pric
Charlie Traphagan
May 30, 2013 Charlie Traphagan rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully light and fluffy read on our best friend and how they help guide us into being. :)
Tami
Oct 09, 2009 Tami rated it it was amazing
We could learn a lot from our pets. Cats can spend hours perfectly relaxed in the warmth of a beam of light. Dogs are always fully present when they play. Cats and dogs live in the moment and are always fully present. They don’t doubt themselves or question their value. It is for this reason that they are the Guardians of Being.

Guardians of Being is written by Eckhart Tolle, author of The Power of Now and A New Earth. His words are then accompanied by illustrations by Mutts creator Patrick McDo
lita
Jun 01, 2010 lita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: misc
True happiness is found in simple, seemingly unremarkable things,
But to be aware of little, quiet things, you need to be quiet inside
A high degree of alertness is required.
Be still. Look. Listen. Be present.

---

Most of us live in a world of mental abstraction, conceptualization, and image making - a world of thought.
We are immersed in a continuous stream of mental noise.
It seems that we can't stop thinking.

---

Just as the dog loves to chew bones, the human mind loves its problems.
Misericordia ❣
Aug 13, 2015 Misericordia ❣ rated it it was amazing
Kim
Mar 12, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
Chris brought this book home from the library yesterday and I just sat down to thumb through it and found myself sucked in. It's a quick read, but one you'll want to go through more than once. The illustrations are delightful and really touching, fellow pet owners / animal lovers will agree. And I've always loved the words of Eckhart Tolle, despite my knee-jerk reaction to the word "God."

In short: Eckhart Tolle + Patrick McDonnell = Major Win.
Ann Hoff
Mar 02, 2015 Ann Hoff rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for any spiritual pet lover. I cried several times because it is poignant, wonderful and true. It is a great coffee table book, or a book to read when you are feeling unsupported. Instead of being so intense with Eckart Tolle just talking about spirit, it is lightened up with the cartoons from Patrick McDonnell. THis is a book I will cherish forever, and quote frequently.

The world is better because this book exists.
Susan Faith
Oct 02, 2015 Susan Faith rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVE this little book. I picked it up on vacation at the Outer Banks a few years ago and keep it out where I can grab it at anytime to be renewed. Anyone with a pet should also have this book in their company. Even people without pets should have it. It is like a literary version of a snuggle pillow.
EThayer3
Sep 07, 2014 EThayer3 rated it liked it
I trid to read The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle because I heard it was one of those life changing books but honestly, I couldn't get past the first chapter, it was dreadfully difficult and full of stuff that made no sense. I piced up Guardians of Being at a used booksale for only $1.00. It looked cute with the cartoonish drawings and easy reading. I take this book to be the children's version of The Power of Now but for adults.

Yes, this one was much easier to understand and quite enjoyable. But
Pamela Kramer
Jan 05, 2012 Pamela Kramer rated it it was amazing
Guardians of Being by Eckhart Tolle and Patrick McDonnell is a little gem of a book for any animal lover.

The iconic drawings of Patrick McDonnell (of Mutts) and the thoughts that Eckhart Tolle creates to accompany them are truly delightful.

"The vital function that pets fulfill in this world hasn't been fully recognized. They keep millions of people sane." And the dog in the illustration is looking back at the man at the other end of the leash and saying, "heal."

The message, told in many differen
Jen
Jan 05, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Shelves: uber-books, dogs
I love this little gem of a book. It was just what I needed today. The illustrations by Patrick McDonnell of Mutts fame perfectly complement the Tolle's sort of koans about why dogs and cats teach us to be still in the present moment and to enjoy life.

"The vital function that pets fulfill in this
world hasn't been fully recognized.
They keep millions
of people sane." (Image is a dog on a leash looking back at his owner and saying, "Heal.")

"The dog has no self-image, good or bad,
so he has no need t
Matthew Felten
Apr 22, 2016 Matthew Felten rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
This was a great quick read!! It could be read by children or even by adults! It would be a great waiting-room book, or coffee table book!! Some of the teachings from "The Power of Now" come into play, but mostly it talks about enjoying what we already have. I definitely recommend it!!
Jordan Zwart
I've always enjoyed well-illustrated books and I loved this one. The ending caught me off guard, as I'm a steadfast atheist and don't really care for things re: christianity, but to each their own. The book reads almost as if you were meditating. It's about being present in the moment, looking towards nature and animals to guide you to that presence. I liked it as a personal reminder to slow things down (including my own thoughts) and to just BE. It makes for great 'coffee table' reading and I'v ...more
Kate Nelson
Apr 24, 2016 Kate Nelson rated it it was amazing
Wow! I picked this book up from the library on a whim and I am so glad I did. Strongly recommend to anyone that has a little pup of their own. How amazing dogs are!
Lilia
Feb 23, 2016 Lilia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bd, childrens, comics, fav
I am subscribed to Eckhart Tolle‘s newsletter and the other day, thanks to it I learnt about a collaboration between Eckhart Tolle himself and Patrick McDonnell (the creator of the acclaimed comic strip MUTTS) on a book called Guardians of Being. What I have seen so far from it is cute, lovely, witty and thoughtful. Catching and reflecting the spirit of everything I’ve read from Tolle.

Update 2016-01-19: Finally read it today, I just found out the original book was published in 2010

Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 Kay Carman rated it it was amazing
"...conveys a profound love of nature, of animals, of humans, of all life-forms. Guardians of Being celebrates and reminds us of not only the oneness of all life but also the wonder and joy to be found in the present moment amid the beauty we sometimes forget to notice all around us."

McDonnell has recently come to my attention because of a feature on his work and philosophy highlighted on PBS' Religion and Ethics News Weekly. This is a beautiful book that culminates in the Christian term of "lov
Jamil
I know nothing about Eckhart Tolle, but judging by this book (which may or may not be fair), his "philosophy" is just a deculturated buddhism.

I am really fond of Patrick McDonnell's MUTTS though, and my only disappointment was that some of the illustrations were repurposed from old strips and not unique to this book.

My favorite bit was this line:

"I have lived with many Zen Masters, all of them cats."
Lorraine Grabauskas
Very calming

I love Patrick McDonnell's comic strip, "Mutts". I decided to buy this book because of him. I also really like what Eckhart Tolls says about humans needing to look at the world like animals do. We can be much happier and calmer.
I gave the book 4 stars instead of 5 because some of the print is very small and I was not able to make it bigger on my Kindle.
Kellie
I love this book so much I want to buy myself and a couple of others a copy. It's very zen, explaining how we should be more like our best dog or our best cat. I love Patrick McConnell's illustrations and I love Mutts. There are some really great moments in this book, and I can't wait to share it with some friends.
Laura Suecheck
Jan 02, 2015 Laura Suecheck rated it it was amazing
This is a touching book, that promises to be a tear jerker for anyone who loves their pets and is into mindfulness. I experienced a lot of joy while reading this book, and will re-read again and again.
Felix Astin
Jun 12, 2015 Felix Astin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have cats, and somehow what's written in this book is absolutely right. Plus, amazing illustrations make it flows seamlessly; such a great collab. Definitely the child's book for grown-ups.
Doni
Sep 05, 2015 Doni rated it it was amazing
Eckhart Tolle is one of my favourite modern day philosophers, and this book which touches on the irrefutable value pets and nature have in our lives, really hits home.
Migs Fiel
Aug 07, 2015 Migs Fiel rated it it was amazing
A very eye-opening and thought-provoking book about being. This is a very important book if you want to live and be. I felt different about our dogs after reading this.
José Miguel Urzúa
Amazing

The words alone were amazing, but combined with the artwork....trully a book to hold on to.
For kids ages 7 to 100.
Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk
Dec 22, 2014 Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk rated it really liked it
You'll finish this little gem in less than 10 minutes even with some reflection. I won't say more except the illustrations are moving.
Dan
Apr 08, 2015 Dan rated it it was amazing
"You are not separate from the whole.
You are one with the sun, the earth, the air.
You don't have a life.

You are life."
Tracy
Oct 09, 2014 Tracy added it
love this book. art is lovely and the saying about as zen as you can get. get lost in the art and you will feel very zen
Tim
Jun 01, 2010 Tim rated it liked it
It was Patrick McDonnell, the creator of the popular cartoon series Mutts, that first came up with the idea of approaching spiritual author Eckhart Tolle with the notion of a collaboration.

After all McDonnell’s simple, animal cartoons, often convey the essence of appreciating the world we live in while bring it down to the most basic level of the world of pets.

Echhart agreed, added some tweaks to McDowell’s original idea, and the result is ‘Guardians of Being,’ which is both a illustrated book a
Laura Siegel
Dec 20, 2015 Laura Siegel rated it liked it
The cartoons by Mutt cartoonist on how animals can teach us about being, are great. But the cliched text by Tolle diminishes them. Hopefully we're getting so used to "being" that we no longer need the words.
  • Wag!
  • A Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation
  • Wiener Wolf
  • Things Hidden: Scripture as Spirituality
  • Once I Ate a Pie
  • Flawed Dogs: The Year-End Leftovers At The Piddleton "Last     Chance" Dog Pound
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
  • Manual of Zen Buddhism
  • Homecoming at Hickory Ridge (Hickory Ridge, #5)
  • The Instruction: Living the Life Your Soul Intended
  • Jung to Live by
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Power, Freedom, and Grace: Living from the Source of Lasting Happiness
  • Old Dogs Are the Best Dogs
Eckhart Tolle , born Ulrich Leonard Tolle, February 16, 1948, is a German-born writer, public speaker, and spiritual teacher. The New York Times has called him "the most popular spiritual author in the nation". He is the author of the bestsellers "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth".
Tolle had an unhappy childhood in Germany and Spain. His depression reached its peak during early adulthood in Engla
More about Eckhart Tolle...

“Just as the dog loves to chew bones, the human mind loves its problems.” 11 likes
“Just watching an animal closely can take you out of your mind and bring you into the present moment, which is where the animal lives all the time -- surrendered to life.” 11 likes