Start by marking “Guardians of Being” as Want to Read:
Guardians of Being

Guardians of Being

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  803 ratings  ·  125 reviews
This wonderfully unique collaboration brings together two masters of their fields, joining original words by spiritual teacher Eckhart Tolle with delightful illustrations by Patrick McDonnell, the creator of the acclaimed comic strip MUTTS. Every heartwarming page provokes thought, insight, and smiling reverence for all beings and each moment.

More than a collection of witt
Published October 1st 2009 by New World Library (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Guardians of Being, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guardians of Being

Mel
The human says, "I love myself", or, "I hate myself."
The dog says, "Woof, woof," which, translated, means I am myself.

I call that integrity -- being one with yourself.
Charlie Traphagan
A wonderfully light and fluffy read on our best friend and how they help guide us into being. :)
lita
Jun 01, 2010 lita rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: misc
True happiness is found in simple, seemingly unremarkable things,
But to be aware of little, quiet things, you need to be quiet inside
A high degree of alertness is required.
Be still. Look. Listen. Be present.

---

Most of us live in a world of mental abstraction, conceptualization, and image making - a world of thought.
We are immersed in a continuous stream of mental noise.
It seems that we can't stop thinking.

---

Just as the dog loves to chew bones, the human mind loves its problems.
Cornerofmadness

Depending on who you are both of these names might be familiar. Tolle is a prolific spiritual writer and McDonnell is the artist for Mutts comic. They teamed up to produce this delightful little book. It’s really McDonnell’s art that makes the book. Tolle’s portion is to offer up zen sayings about life and the stillness of being etc but McDonnell’s art (using his Mutts characters) brings it to life. It’s a destressor of a book. The only drawback is it’s only worth the stiff hardback cover pric
Tami
We could learn a lot from our pets. Cats can spend hours perfectly relaxed in the warmth of a beam of light. Dogs are always fully present when they play. Cats and dogs live in the moment and are always fully present. They don’t doubt themselves or question their value. It is for this reason that they are the Guardians of Being.

Guardians of Being is written by Eckhart Tolle, author of The Power of Now and A New Earth. His words are then accompanied by illustrations by Mutts creator Patrick McDo
EThayer3
I trid to read The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle because I heard it was one of those life changing books but honestly, I couldn't get past the first chapter, it was dreadfully difficult and full of stuff that made no sense. I piced up Guardians of Being at a used booksale for only $1.00. It looked cute with the cartoonish drawings and easy reading. I take this book to be the children's version of The Power of Now but for adults.

Yes, this one was much easier to understand and quite enjoyable. But
Kim
Chris brought this book home from the library yesterday and I just sat down to thumb through it and found myself sucked in. It's a quick read, but one you'll want to go through more than once. The illustrations are delightful and really touching, fellow pet owners / animal lovers will agree. And I've always loved the words of Eckhart Tolle, despite my knee-jerk reaction to the word "God."

In short: Eckhart Tolle + Patrick McDonnell = Major Win.
Jamil
I know nothing about Eckhart Tolle, but judging by this book (which may or may not be fair), his "philosophy" is just a deculturated buddhism.

I am really fond of Patrick McDonnell's MUTTS though, and my only disappointment was that some of the illustrations were repurposed from old strips and not unique to this book.

My favorite bit was this line:

"I have lived with many Zen Masters, all of them cats."
Pamela Kramer
Guardians of Being by Eckhart Tolle and Patrick McDonnell is a little gem of a book for any animal lover.

The iconic drawings of Patrick McDonnell (of Mutts) and the thoughts that Eckhart Tolle creates to accompany them are truly delightful.

"The vital function that pets fulfill in this world hasn't been fully recognized. They keep millions of people sane." And the dog in the illustration is looking back at the man at the other end of the leash and saying, "heal."

The message, told in many differen
Tim
It was Patrick McDonnell, the creator of the popular cartoon series Mutts, that first came up with the idea of approaching spiritual author Eckhart Tolle with the notion of a collaboration.

After all McDonnell’s simple, animal cartoons, often convey the essence of appreciating the world we live in while bring it down to the most basic level of the world of pets.

Echhart agreed, added some tweaks to McDowell’s original idea, and the result is ‘Guardians of Being,’ which is both a illustrated book a
Kellie
I love this book so much I want to buy myself and a couple of others a copy. It's very zen, explaining how we should be more like our best dog or our best cat. I love Patrick McConnell's illustrations and I love Mutts. There are some really great moments in this book, and I can't wait to share it with some friends.
Laura Suecheck
This is a touching book, that promises to be a tear jerker for anyone who loves their pets and is into mindfulness. I experienced a lot of joy while reading this book, and will re-read again and again.
José Miguel Urzúa
Amazing

The words alone were amazing, but combined with the artwork....trully a book to hold on to.
For kids ages 7 to 100.
Annmarie Kostyk
You'll finish this little gem in less than 10 minutes even with some reflection. I won't say more except the illustrations are moving.
Tracy
Oct 09, 2014 Tracy added it
love this book. art is lovely and the saying about as zen as you can get. get lost in the art and you will feel very zen
Beth
Wonderful book about the value of animals as spiritual teachers. A friend gave it to me when my dog Daisy died. I plan to pass it on to another grieving family that is losing their animal companion. For all ages, and illustrated by the creator of the comic strip Mutts. Highly recommended.
Shonna Froebel
I picked this one up because I'm a huge Mutts fan. It is a short, thoughtful book that encourages you to be in the moment, showing how our animals can help us remember to no think, but to be. McDonnell's art is wonderful, of course, and some of it is from previous work in his Mutts series, as our the characters used. A reminder of what is important in life, and how to take the time to enjoy life for what it is. Just like his comic art predecessor Charles Schultz, McDonnell reminds us with the he ...more
Deborah Brown
Cute book,into the now.especially liked{I have lived with many zen masters,all of them cats}
Katie
Sweetest book ever! I am a fan of the author and the artist separately and was so excited to learn that they created a book together. Now I know why the Mutts comic struck a chord with me a couple years ago... McDonnell's work is influenced by his spiritual side. I found some of Tolle's books to be too abstract for me, but McDonnell's illustrations coupled with Tolle's words make the ideas much more accessible. I read through the book quickly and found myself laughing aloud often, but I plan to ...more
Kathy
Still looking for ways to involve my particular kids in these teachings
Niki Stacey
Everyone should read this book and read it to everyone they know.
Blisseth
Kris
Everyone who has a dog will understand and love this book.
Melissa
How am I just discovering this book now?! It looks like a simple picture book but is full of profound truths, such as "Love is a deep empathy with the other's 'beingness.' You recognize yourself, your essence, in the other. And so you can no longer inflict suffering on the other" and "Every bring is a spark of the Divine or God. Look into the eyes of the dog and sense that innermost core", accompanied by the most adorable little drawings by the illustrator of the Mutts comic. Absolutely brillian ...more
Katie
Such a poignant perspective on life. Charming.
Tattered Cover Book Store
Cathy says:

Inhabited by McDonnell's beloved "Mutts" characters, and with text by the author of "The Power of Now," this spiritual teacher's guide inspires readers of all stripes to recognize the lessons of the present moment, as embodied by the dogs and cats who share our world.

Jackie says:

Ordinarily I find Eckhart Tolle a bit over the top, but combined with Patrick McDonnell's sweet illustrations, this book won me over. It's a wonderful book for anyone who believes in the peace and joy that pe
Cindy
Jan 28, 2010 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Cindy by: Holly
Read for the North Houston Book Club.

I adore the art of Patrick McDonnell, and might have missed this book, due to the Eckhart Tolle connection. Not that I have anything against Tolle, or what little I know of his writing - I simply tend away from the metaphysical in my reading. I'm very glad that Holly suggested this for the February dual selection. As a long time fan of McDonnell I knew it had to be pleasing to look at, and the message is beautiful, and obvious, although judging by the world t
Susanatalves
Precious.
Peacegal
Mutts goes woo-woo. Guardians of Being is a nicely presented juxtaposition of McDonnell's sweet, scribbly newspaper cartoon, "Mutts," with vaguely Eastern-inspired quotes from Tolle about living in the moment. While I liked the layout of the book, I just can't get too excited about all of these over-earnest "seize the day" messages. I have the tendency to laugh at "uplifting" stuff because such is neither my experience nor philosophy of life.
Katrina Kenison
The perfect gift book for any animal lover. Tolle's words and McDonnell's illustrations are a perfect match, full of soul and deep wisdom delivered with a light touch.
  • Wag!
  • The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance
  • The Whisper of Your Soul
  • The Novice: A Story of True Love
  • A Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation
  • Flawed Dogs: The Year-End Leftovers At The Piddleton "Last     Chance" Dog Pound
  • God: A Story of Revelation
  • Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • Manual of Zen Buddhism
  • Mrs. McTats and Her Houseful of Cats
  • Faradawn (The Fog Mound)
  • Edmund and Rosemary Go to Hell: A Story We All Really Need Now More Than Ever
  • Things Hidden: Scripture as Spirituality
  • Once I Ate a Pie
  • The Lotus Sutra: A Contemporary Translation of a Buddhist Classic
  • Eco Barons: The Dreamers, Schemers, and Millionaires Who Are Saving Our Planet
Eckhart Tolle , born Ulrich Leonard Tolle, February 16, 1948, is a German-born writer, public speaker, and spiritual teacher. The New York Times has called him "the most popular spiritual author in the nation". He is the author of the bestsellers "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth".
Tolle had an unhappy childhood in Germany and Spain. His depression reached its peak during early adulthood in Engla
More about Eckhart Tolle...
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment Practicing the Power of Now: Essential Teachings, Meditations, and Exercises from the Power of Now Stillness Speaks Realizing the Power of Now

“Just as the dog loves to chew bones, the human mind loves its problems.” 9 likes
“Just watching an animal closely can take you out of your mind and bring you into the present moment, which is where the animal lives all the time -- surrendered to life.” 7 likes