Getting it Through My Thick Skull: Why I Stayed, What I Learned, and What Millions of People Involved With Sociopaths Need to Know

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Mary Jo Buttafuoco's anonymous life as a suburban wife and mother in sleepy Massapequa, New York, on Long Island, ended in May 1992, when she was shot in the head on her own front porch. The 'Long Island Lolita' saga sparked a media frenzy that has not died to this day. As the years passed and Mary Jo steadfastly stood by her man while Joey Buttafuoco and Amy Fisher contin...more
Published July 21st 2009 by Health Communications (first published July 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Getting it Through My Thick Skull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting it Through My Thick Skull

Amy
This book popped up in my “recommendations” one day. It was on sale, so I figured why not? I was pleasantly surprised. actually really liked this book. I found it well written and I finished it in 2 days.
Leeanna
Getting It Through My Thick Skull, by Mary Jo Buttafuoco

I was pretty young when the infamous "Long Island Lolita" case took over the media, and I didn't remember any of the movies or coverage or interviews, so I went into this book with fresh eyes, and read an engaging, inspiring story.

Mary Jo's incredibly honest about her life with Joey, from their early dysfunctional and yet happy marriage, when he first started exhibiting signs of being a sociopath. Only she didn't know it at the time, and wa...more
Kim V
“Stand by your man
And tell the world you love him
Keep giving all the love you can
Stand by your man.”

Stand By Your Man by Tammy Wynette

Mary Jo Buttafuoco stood by her man through sex, drugs, and an assailant’s bullet. And all she got in return was more of the same from her charming, but soulless husband, Joey, and scorn from the world. Before there were the O.J.-Nicole-Ron and the Scott-Laci-Amber sagas, there was the Amy Fisher-Joey and Mary Jo Buttafuoco triangle. While the who- done- it part...more
Karen
Mary Jo Buttafuoco attempts to answer the question on millions of minds: What took her so long to leave Joey? She answers it. Kind of. Still not sure what took her soooo long and why she believed all the shit Joey shoveled for so many years. But Mary Jo has come a long way. She's finally gotten on with her life. Her story is fascinating; I could not put this book down.

I've read many reviews of this book. Not everyone is convinced Joey is a sociopath. From what Mary Jo says, I believe he is. A so...more
Kelly
This part was missing:
What Millions of People Involved with Sociopaths Need to Know
Helen Azar
I met Mary Jo briefly at the Book Expo in NYC last year. Of course as most others I probably had a preconceived idea about her, and got her book out of pure morbid curiousity... I was in fact pleasantly surprised by her and the book, both. Not to say that it is a masterpiece deserving of the Pulitzer, but it was an interesting biography, and as you read it you even sort of start understanding where this woman was coming from (not quite, but sort of). I am hoping that at the very least the book m...more
Rhonda
I wouldn't have picked up this book if it weren't for a friend telling me she was reading it and it was pretty good. I guess I'm interested more in the "sociopath" than the Buttafuoco's. It really is amazing why she just couldn't see through him or get past him for so long...I guess these kinds of people have a "way" with you that charms you and you can't see life without them.
Just a couple pages in, she quotes Dr. Robert Hare's (co-author of Snakes in Suits) checklist of sociopathic traits...2...more
Sallee
This book relates Mary Jo Buttafuoco's own version of her life with Joey Buttafuoco before and after being shot in the head by Amy Fisher. As the title infers, she tells us why she stayed with him so long, her own struggles with prescription pain killers and depression and her awakening to a new way of life. I understand that she went through a horrible situation and her marriage to Joey who she feels is a sociopath was just as horrible. However, I have some mixed feelings. She wanted an indepe...more
Ana
When I ran across this I was initially intrigued because of the profile of a sociopath and the fact that I recently read a bit about the whole media frenzy surrounding this case. I was curious about Mary Jo's story since objectively she was the victim of the crime. I knew little to very little about the details besides the basics of what happened prior to reading this. If you are curious about it I would suggest this book. She gives equal time to explaining the events and how she felt about them...more
Shelley
I found the book kind of agravating - not sure Joey Buttafuco is a sociopath - more like a dry addict. I'm glad Mary Jo Buttafuco has recovered and is happy but I don't think she was as much a victim of Joey Buttafuco as she wants to believe and wants us to believe. She blames him for many events that she willingly participated in. I'm the first one to defend and root for someone who has been victimized but I get annoyed when someone wants to blame someone else for all of the repercussions of th...more
Carina
I was only 3 years old when Mary Jo Buttafuoco was shot in the head by Amy Fisher, her husband's 16-year-old mistress, so this event wasn't something I had knowledge of before reading this book. At any rate, this story was extremely interesting to me. There are a million clinical sounding books out there about manipulation and what is going on inside the heads of sociopaths, but it's much more enlightening to actually hear someone's life story about their real experiences.
Sharon
Very interesting account of Mary Jo's life with Joey Buttofuoco, before and after the Amy Fisher saga. I've always wondered why she stayed with him so long and she more than answers this question. This book is definitely a must-read for those who are involved or have been involved with a man who has sociopathic or misogynistic traits.
Joella Tunnell
I didn't expect this book to be as good as it was. I remember reading about the teenager shooting her lovers' wife, and the name Buttafuoco, but didn't give it much thought. The wife's story of her marriage and years of recovering from her injuries, and how strong a grip a sociopath can have on a person was eyeopening.
Cindy
There's no such thing as Sociopaths, just really bad people. Unfortunately bad people can be very good at manipulating. Interesting story with some good lessons to be learned. Pray the children have learned from the parents mistakes and are not destined to repeat.
Diane
I was glad she shared her story but, this book was as you would expect. It really wonder if she had an education or a career of her own ( instead of a life that revolved around her husband) would she of put up with so much b.s? I think not.
Terri
Somewhat liked the book. There are some holes in the story, but it gave a pretty good insight into how women fall for good talkers. Sometimes we, as women, just refuse to believe the obvious. Basically learned to listen to your instinct.
Lin S.
I picked this up night before last and finished it this morning. Not sure why but having been married to a sociopath myself I guess it was too compelling to not read and compare. I'm glad Mary Jo has found peace as have I.
Julianne
Very Interesting! I had no idea what a nice, down to earth lady Mary Jo is. Her insight in to the early warning signs that she observed with regards to her husbands sociopathy is enlightening. I ate this one up!
Lindi
Somewhat informative on what a psychopath looks like (main idea - they appear normal to others). Shown as Mary Jo really the victim in all their mess. Not worth reading, though.
What an interesting saga - I got caught up in it, but then felt a little deflated at the end. As if, we all try hard and life doesn't get better. Ugh.
Mary
My 82 yr old neighbor lent me this book. She's hip! The book is nothing profound but an easy juicy read. And I sort of like Mary Jo!!!
Amy
Interesting...since I followed the Amy Fisher case. And it did not put the JoeyButtafuoco in a good light.
Joy
Mar 24, 2010 Joy marked it as to-read
Shelves: memoir
One of the longest book titles ever! This might be good...
Charlene
This is a dead story, they had there 15 minutes.
Mar
Promises a lot but doesn't deliver.
Cheri
Sep 09, 2009 Cheri added it
Yes, I read it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Getting It Through My Thick Skull: Why I Stayed, What I Learned, and What Millions of People Involved with Sociopaths Need to Know