Start by marking “Steve Earle: Fearless Heart, Outlaw Poet” as Want to Read:
Steve Earle: Fearless Heart, Outlaw Poet

Steve Earle: Fearless Heart, Outlaw Poet

(Book). This book examines the life and music of Steve Earle, one of the most important and controversial singer-songwriters of our time. Through in-depth interviews with family members, producers, musicians, and with Earle himself, this volume traces Steve's journey from southeast Texas to his debut No. 1 country album, Guitar Town and his descent into drug addiction, and ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Backbeat Books

To ask other readers questions about Steve Earle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steve Earle

PennsyLady (Bev)
Jan 27, 2016 PennsyLady (Bev) rated it really liked it
Shelves: rock-n-roll
I'm only slightly familiar with Steve Earl.
Therefore, I appreciated the interviews with others and
recaps of other musicians and musical trends.

I definitely came away knowing more than before.
AustinT
May 06, 2016 AustinT rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I haven't read it, I'm guessing Lauren St John's "Hardcore Troubadour" is probably a better biography of Steve Earle than this one. Too much print is spent on describing the albums - song by song. If you don't already know what a song sounds like a verbal description just doesn't cut it. I took to just skimming over a lot of it. There's enough biographical material of Earle's early years but not alot during the times when he was being devoured by his addictions. Also there is plenty dev ...more
Rachel
Jul 31, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
Good. But I like biographies, especially on musicians, that are a bit more...how do I say, interesting? Steve Earle's life is interesting, no doubt, but I felt as this was just a blow by blow account and how it related to the over all music scene of the day. Good for fans, but wouldn't convert anyone who just wanted to read about Earle or even country music and the oh-so-interesting period of time.

Nevertheless, I'm a fan, and I learned more than a little from this book. That's always worth the
Ian Shaw
Mar 11, 2012 Ian Shaw rated it liked it
I'be been a fan of Steve Earle's work since the late '80s. I enjoyed Steve Earle's story, but felt like the author kept fishing into other people's stories throughout the work (there were several chapters comparing Earle's career to Rodney Crowell's), and the shift didn't work for me. This also was a book in terrific need of a good editor, as the writing was awkward at points, and not well proofread. If it wasn't for my interest in the story, I wouldn't have made it through.
Ron Pihlgren
Sep 19, 2011 Ron Pihlgren rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
I'm kind of a fan of most things written about Steve Earle and this book was a nice summary of Earle's life and career up to the Jerusalem album. One cool thing about the way this book was written was the interspersal of info about his albums at the point in the narrative when the book came out.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
James Alan
James Alan is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2016
Mike Burke
Mike Burke marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Cynthia Nichols
Cynthia Nichols marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Brent
Brent marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Jacki Christian
Jacki Christian marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
tristan bowden
tristan bowden marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Ron S
Ron S rated it it was ok
May 09, 2016
Marc Belanger
Marc Belanger marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2015
Evan
Evan rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Brett
Brett rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
David Gross
David Gross marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Matt Wallace
Matt Wallace marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Laraine Ryan
Laraine Ryan marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Rob Groves
Rob Groves rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Phil
Phil rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2014
Theresa Williams
Theresa Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Alex Moss
Alex Moss rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2014
Jay
Jay rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2014