Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine

Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine (Young Amelia Bedelia)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Amelia Bedelia is sure she will love everything about Valentine's Day.

The sweet surprises
Cards to give and receive
A party at school
A big, long family hug
Amelia Bedelia can't wait.
What could be better?
Valentine's Day!
Hooray for Valentine's Day!
Published November 24th 2009 by Greenwillow Books

Ryan
The illustrations were fine, but the story was horrible. I remember liking the original Amelia Bedelia books, but these younger Amelia books are beyond tedious. The figures of speech felt really forced. (Who still says "You're wearing your heart on your sleeve?" Ack.) But my biggest beef with this stupid book was that when reading out loud to your children, you're forced to say the characters entire stupid name every time. Has Herman every heard pronouns? Yes, the name has a fun sound. But not a...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Amelia Bedelia is excited about Valentine's Day. She has cards for all her friends even though she doesn't quite understand the messages (Nuts 4 You, Sealed with a Kiss). Disaster strikes when she leaves her cards on the bus. Amelia Bedelia thinks on her feet and puts some playing cards to good use.

What I thought: Amelia Bedelia is delightful as always. I love how she takes everything literally. This story will be great for a school age Valentine's Day story time.

Craft Idea: Have the kids make v...more
Inspired Kathy
The play on words in Amelia Bedelia books is a hard concept for little children to understand. Cute idea to put Amelia Bedelia in picture book form but it was still beyond my 4 year old.
Cheryll
Cute book! Fun to see what Amelia Bedelia was like as a child. She was warm-hearted, sweet, silly, and took things literally of course.
Earl
Jul 23, 2012 Earl rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, kids
Family members shouldn't try to make money off their dead relatives' claim to fame. This lacked the charm of the original stories.
Klaudia Janek
Recommended – additional purchase[return][return]Amelia Bedelia starts her day off with a series of misunderstandings and then gets ready for Valentine’s Day. Her mom gave her a box of playing cards and she didn’t understand what playing cards were for and since they had hearts on them, she thought they were Valentine’s Day cards. She also had a hard time understanding the sayings on the Valentine’s Day cards she was supposed to be preparing for her class. Amelia did not want a visit from cupid...more
Arren Q
I'm just disappointed that they are going backwards in time with this series. Especially since the time period seems to be more modern than the originals.
Also, Amelia Bedelia is as well meaning, bumbling servant which is okay. Learning that she has always been this way makes one wonder if she doesn't have Aspergers. Which is sad. Why do we have to portray endearing fictional characters with real world disorders?

This quote from the Aspergers Support Online is a fitting description of the child...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I loved Amelia Bedelia when I was younger, and I enjoy seeing her in a younger form, but this is not a story that connected well with my kids as many things were a little over their heads. For example during the Valentine party one of the students asked for punch, so Amelia punched him. While I understood the concept behind that my kids did not and I had to explain it to them. Having said that, I think the over all concept of having Amelia Bedelia act the way she does at this young of an age doe...more
Lisa
This book would be perfect to read around Valentine's Day (hint the title!). Amelia Bedelia talks as an actual child would talk when told sayings that they are not familiar with at all. Also, you can see a creative side when she finds out that she has forgotten all of her Valentine's on the school bus. This book can show friendships and family as well.
Jnase1
Such a cute book! It would be good to use for a lesson on idioms. I lvoe Amelia Bedelia!
Melanie
I loved Ameilia Bedelia as a kid, so I was excited to read this with my 3yo daughter. However, I think this book misses the charm of the original series. My daughter doesnt understand the "humor" of the situations Amelia Bedelia gets into because she takes everything people say literally. This may be better understood by older kids, but this is a picture book!! I think the only thing my daughter enjoys about it is that it's about Valentines Day and she loves being read to. I also found the numbe...more
Sharon Lawler
In this series by Herman Parrish, the nephew of Peggy Parish, creator of everyone's favorite maid, resurrects Amelia in her childhood, complete with her characteristic penchant for interpreting words literally. In the original series, Amelia was an adult and the madcap situations required a higher level of comprehension. As a child, the humor is on a lower level, but that makes a good place to introduce the character to younger children.
Jen
I really liked this story. Amelia Bedelia is one of my favorite characters and these stories of her youth are wonderful to read. This one celebrates Valentine's Day through expressions of both familial love and caring friendships. The young Amelia Bedelia doesn't have as many funny moments due to her literal-mindedness as she does as an adult, but the stories are still charming.
Dolly
Oct 21, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is the first time we've read an Amelia Bedelia story which features her as a child. It was an interesting tale, with her typical misunderstandings of common phrases, but it wasn't nearly as disastrous as some of the other stories we've read. Great for Valentine's Day fun. We've read this one a couple of times.
Nancy Jo Lambert
I do love these new Amelia Bedelia books! She is such a fun and funny little girl. My kids and I love her adventures, and this book is not short on her quirky interpretation of Valentine's Day. My favorite part for sure is when Amelia Bedelia takes all her Valentine's and "fixes" them!
Esther
This is a new series about Amelia Bedelia as a little girl. The book fell short of the charm, wit and creativity in the play on words of the original books. I found it rather boring.

I did enjoy the one page where Ameila makes her valentines.
Tam
Adults might think Amelia Bedelia is a silly girl but my 4-year old doesn't agree and I wish I didn't have to explain every thing to him so he'd understand why it's funny.
Katie Siira
Read with this my fourth grade buddy and she really enjoyed it...would most likely use it on the holiday and having students write their own valentines day story.
Brandi
Great fun book for children about valentines day. Talks about things not going as planned but using the necessities you have to make due.
Lisa Nagel
Cute, but think the play on words will be lost on many younger readers. Also still looking for a great Valentine's Day book.
I love amelia bedelia! That being said, this wasn't my favorite book...it will be interesting to see what the kids think
Benji Martin
I wasn't overly impressed with this book, but I'll probably still use it for Valentine's Day.
Veronica
It was kind of cute but definitely not as good as the original Amelia Bedelia books.
Teri
awful! Why is it so hard to find a good valentine's story? Any recommendations?
Michelle
I love Amelia Bedelia.
PWRL
Oct 05, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
A
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Hollywood, Dead Ahead (43 Old Cemetery Road, #5)
  • Because I'm Your Dad
  • Whose Chick Are You?
  • Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door
  • Groundhog Gets a Say
  • Secret Agent Splat!
  • Brownie Groundhog and the February Fox
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse!
  • If You'll Be My Valentine
  • Jangles: A Big Fish Story
  • Nelly May Has Her Say
  • Mole Music
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • Kite Day: A Bear and Mole Story
  • Scary School
  • Bogart and Vinnie: A Completely Made-up Story of True Friendship
  • Amelia Bedelia's Family Album
  • Rain School
Herman Parish is the author of Amelia Bedelia children's book series, nephew of original author, Peggy Parish. Having grown up with his aunt’s tales of Amelia’s humorous misadventures, Herman decided to carry on the legacy after his aunt’s death in 1988. He did not wish to entrust the future of the series into the hands of a children’s author outside of the family. Since Peggy had the summers off...more
More about Herman Parish...
Calling Doctor Amelia Bedelia Bravo, Amelia Bedelia! Amelia Bedelia 4 Mayor Amelia Bedelia, Bookworm Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia