Start by marking “Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine” as Want to Read:
Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine

Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine (Young Amelia Bedelia)

3.55  ·  Rating Details  ·  253 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Amelia Bedelia is sure she will love everything about Valentine's Day.

The sweet surprises
Cards to give and receive
A party at school
A big, long family hug
Amelia Bedelia can't wait.
What could be better?
Valentine's Day!
Hooray for Valentine's Day!
Published November 24th 2009 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine

Earl
Jul 23, 2012 Earl rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids, 2010
Family members shouldn't try to make money off their dead relatives' claim to fame. This lacked the charm of the original stories.
Hamster
Mar 12, 2013 Hamster rated it did not like it
The illustrations were fine, but the story was horrible. I remember liking the original Amelia Bedelia books, but these younger Amelia books are beyond tedious. The figures of speech felt really forced. (Who still says "You're wearing your heart on your sleeve?" Ack.) But my biggest beef with this stupid book was that when reading out loud to your children, you're forced to say the characters entire stupid name every time. Has Herman every heard pronouns? Yes, the name has a fun sound. But not a ...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Amelia Bedelia is excited about Valentine's Day. She has cards for all her friends even though she doesn't quite understand the messages (Nuts 4 You, Sealed with a Kiss). Disaster strikes when she leaves her cards on the bus. Amelia Bedelia thinks on her feet and puts some playing cards to good use.

What I thought: Amelia Bedelia is delightful as always. I love how she takes everything literally. This story will be great for a school age Valentine's Day story time.

Craft Idea: Have the kids make v
Inspired Kathy
Aug 31, 2010 Inspired Kathy rated it liked it
The play on words in Amelia Bedelia books is a hard concept for little children to understand. Cute idea to put Amelia Bedelia in picture book form but it was still beyond my 4 year old.
Cheryll
Dec 17, 2009 Cheryll rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-reads
Cute book! Fun to see what Amelia Bedelia was like as a child. She was warm-hearted, sweet, silly, and took things literally of course.
Trisha Hope
Jan 09, 2016 Trisha Hope rated it it was amazing
Amelia Bedelia has grown on me. I love her character. She takes everything literal and it can cause some confusion but everyone seems to be okay with it. They know that it is just Amelia Bedelia's character. She got really creative with the Valentine's and took the warning of Cupid to heart. I can see was worried about falling in love with someone, but I think that was mainly because she was so young and when your young your not really thinking about love. You want to make friends, play, and hav ...more
Regina L
Feb 26, 2015 Regina L rated it it was amazing
This is Dolly’s favorite Valentine’s Day book (and her favorite of the new Amelia Bedelia series as well)! The story is pretty darn cute. A young, innocent and silly Amelia Bedelia leaves her Valentines on the bus and has to come up with something else to hand out to her classmates. Meanwhile, her dad warned her about Cupid! Will she be shot by an arrow and fall in love (or like) this Valentine’s Day? Filled with great, bright, colorful pictures and cute puns. Your child will love this! Read mor ...more
Klaudia Janek
Jan 06, 2014 Klaudia Janek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libres
Recommended – additional purchase[return][return]Amelia Bedelia starts her day off with a series of misunderstandings and then gets ready for Valentine’s Day. Her mom gave her a box of playing cards and she didn’t understand what playing cards were for and since they had hearts on them, she thought they were Valentine’s Day cards. She also had a hard time understanding the sayings on the Valentine’s Day cards she was supposed to be preparing for her class. Amelia did not want a visit from cupid ...more
Arren Q
Mar 01, 2012 Arren Q rated it did not like it
I'm just disappointed that they are going backwards in time with this series. Especially since the time period seems to be more modern than the originals.
Also, Amelia Bedelia is as well meaning, bumbling servant which is okay. Learning that she has always been this way makes one wonder if she doesn't have Aspergers. Which is sad. Why do we have to portray endearing fictional characters with real world disorders?

This quote from the Aspergers Support Online is a fitting description of the child
Raffaela Infante
Sep 02, 2014 Raffaela Infante rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Amelia Bedelia. I liked how certain comments were made and she was very literal in how she interpreted the comments. For example, the bus driver yelled "you're holding us up" and Amelia took it literal and said "I'm not strong enough". The book can relate to any child who goes to grade school and participates in bringing cards and candy on valentine's day. Overall, the book was very cute and full of creative and colorful pictures that went along with each sentence throughout the book.

Emily
Feb 12, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it
So Amelia Bedelia's First Valentine doesn't stray from some obvious traditional tropes, but it is pretty sweet and relatable. Kinder enjoyed it as a read aloud, especially because they too were looking forward to their class' Valentine's Day Party. I will say that I did get really tired if reading "Amelia Bedelia" five zillion times, hence I started paraphrasing a bit by the third read aloud...
Jackie
Once again, Amelia Bedelia takes everything literally, even on Valentine's Day, the most romantic day of the year! Wearing hearts on your sleeve, getting stung by Cupid's arrow, and broken hearts are just some of the fun ideas Amelia will have to contend with on this hearts and flowers day.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I loved Amelia Bedelia when I was younger, and I enjoy seeing her in a younger form, but this is not a story that connected well with my kids as many things were a little over their heads. For example during the Valentine party one of the students asked for punch, so Amelia punched him. While I understood the concept behind that my kids did not and I had to explain it to them. Having said that, I think the over all concept of having Amelia Bedelia act the way she does at this young of an age doe ...more
Rachel
Feb 11, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: laurie-books, feb-16
I am now and always have been an Amelia Bedelia fan! Although I think this book would be totally over the head of a 2 year old, it had very pretty and brightly colored illustrations. I will try to read any Amelia Bedelia book I can get my hands on!
Lisa
Jan 16, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book would be perfect to read around Valentine's Day (hint the title!). Amelia Bedelia talks as an actual child would talk when told sayings that they are not familiar with at all. Also, you can see a creative side when she finds out that she has forgotten all of her Valentine's on the school bus. This book can show friendships and family as well.
Ana Grubac  (LibrariAna)
A cute and funny Valentine's Day book that can also be a great lesson about the real meaning behind some of everyday saying.
Robin Raines-Bond
Jan 28, 2015 Robin Raines-Bond rated it liked it
Amelia Bedelia is just as funny as a little girl as she is a a grown up. This is a fun Valentine's Day story.
Jnase1
Feb 06, 2014 Jnase1 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book! It would be good to use for a lesson on idioms. I lvoe Amelia Bedelia!
Kelsey
Feb 10, 2016 Kelsey rated it it was ok
Could use to emphasize idioms and other figurative language. Overall cute story.
Caitlyn Ford
Mar 01, 2016 Caitlyn Ford rated it it was amazing
I read this to my sister on Valentine's day. She loved it
Melanie
Mar 11, 2013 Melanie rated it it was ok
I loved Ameilia Bedelia as a kid, so I was excited to read this with my 3yo daughter. However, I think this book misses the charm of the original series. My daughter doesnt understand the "humor" of the situations Amelia Bedelia gets into because she takes everything people say literally. This may be better understood by older kids, but this is a picture book!! I think the only thing my daughter enjoys about it is that it's about Valentines Day and she loves being read to. I also found the numbe ...more
Holly Letson
Amelia Bedelia makes thebest of her bad luck.
Benjamin Elliott
Apr 24, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it liked it
Why is this Amelia Bedelia's first Valentine's Day? Was she a kindergartener/first grader so it was the first one she had celebrated at school? I didn't really get this. Otherwise, it was fine, but definitely an imitation of the original books.
Sharon Lawler
In this series by Herman Parrish, the nephew of Peggy Parish, creator of everyone's favorite maid, resurrects Amelia in her childhood, complete with her characteristic penchant for interpreting words literally. In the original series, Amelia was an adult and the madcap situations required a higher level of comprehension. As a child, the humor is on a lower level, but that makes a good place to introduce the character to younger children.
Jen
I really liked this story. Amelia Bedelia is one of my favorite characters and these stories of her youth are wonderful to read. This one celebrates Valentine's Day through expressions of both familial love and caring friendships. The young Amelia Bedelia doesn't have as many funny moments due to her literal-mindedness as she does as an adult, but the stories are still charming.
Dolly
Oct 21, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is the first time we've read an Amelia Bedelia story which features her as a child. It was an interesting tale, with her typical misunderstandings of common phrases, but it wasn't nearly as disastrous as some of the other stories we've read. Great for Valentine's Day fun. We've read this one a couple of times.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Dec 08, 2013 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it really liked it
I do love these new Amelia Bedelia books! She is such a fun and funny little girl. My kids and I love her adventures, and this book is not short on her quirky interpretation of Valentine's Day. My favorite part for sure is when Amelia Bedelia takes all her Valentine's and "fixes" them!
Esther
Feb 14, 2010 Esther rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
This is a new series about Amelia Bedelia as a little girl. The book fell short of the charm, wit and creativity in the play on words of the original books. I found it rather boring.

I did enjoy the one page where Ameila makes her valentines.
Tam
Apr 10, 2011 Tam rated it liked it
Shelves: valentines-day
Adults might think Amelia Bedelia is a silly girl but my 4-year old doesn't agree and I wish I didn't have to explain every thing to him so he'd understand why it's funny.
  • Go to Sleep, Groundhog!
  • Mousterpiece
  • Bringing Down the Moon
  • Grandma's Feather Bed (John Denver Series)
  • Hollywood, Dead Ahead (43 Old Cemetery Road, #5)
  • This Plus That: Life's Little Equations
  • I Love My Daddy
  • Secret Agent Splat!
  • Nelly May Has Her Say
  • Monster Mash
  • Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • Rain School
  • Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door
  • There, There
  • Brownie Groundhog and the February Fox
  • Whose Chick Are You?
  • The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever
  • Purple Princess Wins the Prize (Perfectly Princess)
Herman Parish is the author of Amelia Bedelia children's book series, nephew of original author, Peggy Parish. Having grown up with his aunt’s tales of Amelia’s humorous misadventures, Herman decided to carry on the legacy after his aunt’s death in 1988. He did not wish to entrust the future of the series into the hands of a children’s author outside of the family. Since Peggy had the summers off ...more
More about Herman Parish...

Young Amelia Bedelia (6 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia's First Day of School