Start by marking “Women and Gender in Early Modern Europe” as Want to Read:
Women and Gender in Early Modern Europe

Women and Gender in Early Modern Europe (New Approaches to European History #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  7 reviews
New edition of Merry Wiesner-Hanks' prize-winning survey of women and gender in early modern Europe. The updated edition features an entirely new chapter on gender and race in the colonial world; expanded coverage of eighteenth century developments including the Enlightenment; and enhanced discussions of masculinity, single women, same-sex relations, humanism, and women's ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Cambridge University Press (first published October 29th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Women and Gender in Early Modern Europe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women and Gender in Early Modern Europe

Baylee
Leggendo questo libro, tutto ciò a cui riuscivo a pensare era: meno male che sono nata nell'Italia di fine Novecento. Se fossi nata nei secoli presi in considerazione del libro (che analizza la storia dal punto di vista della condizione della donna tra il 1500 e il 1750), sarei stata considerata un essere inferiore che doveva essere naturalmente sottomessa ad un uomo.

Grazie al credito di cui godeva quel simpaticone di Aristotele, si era giunti a una teorizzazione dell'inferiorità psicofisica del
Mary Rose
Amazing book, I used it a lot during my Patriarchy, Sex, and Gender in Early Modern Europe course. Wiesner-Hanks is nothing short of astounding with the way she relates the nuances of gender and the feminine experience in this historical period, highly recommended.
G.G.
A seriously good undergraduate textbook: accessibly written and with a useful number of quotations from primary sources. The suggestions for further reading at the end of each chapter are also mines of information. I decided to read this because I'll be teaching a course in early modern Japanese women's writing this spring and I wanted to be able to bring a comparative dimension to the classroom: the book was perfect for that purpose, too!

One caveat: the companion website (www.cambridge.org/wome
MorgenSter
E' stata una vera angoscia finire il capitolo sulla Religione - troppe digressioni e particolari inutili per quella che dovrebbe essere una panoramica.
A parte questo, il libro e' assolutamente valido e interessantissimo. A tratti pure divertente.
Kristin
One of the most spectacular books I've ever been assigned for school. Great overview of subjects pertaining to women and gender in . . . early modern Europe! Really though, well worth the read and includes such an extensive bibliography that if I read only books referenced in this one, I'd probably be busy for the rest of my life. I'm going to buy my own copy. Just superb.
A survey of women and gender from about 1500-1800 in European society, including "New World" colonies. Superb breadth, depth, and clarity; a model of its genre.
Julaine
Horrible, false and scary book.
Charles Corn
Charles Corn marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Sofy
Sofy marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Valerie G. Marquez
Valerie G. Marquez marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Shiney
Shiney added it
Apr 25, 2015
Ellen A.
Ellen A. marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Brixta
Brixta added it
Mar 05, 2015
Reza
Reza marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Merry E. Wiesner-Hanks (Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison) taught first at Augustana College in Illinois, and since 1985 at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, where she is currently UWM Distinguished Professor in the department of history. She is the coeditor of the Sixteenth Century Journal and the author or editor of more than twenty books, most recently The Marvelous Hairy Girls: The G ...more
More about Merry E. Wiesner-Hanks...

New Approaches to European History (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The European Revolutions, 1848 1851
  • The Habsburg Monarchy, 1618-1815
  • Poverty and Deviance in Early Modern Europe
  • The State in Early Modern France
  • Humanism and the Culture of Renaissance Europe
  • The Enlightenment التنوير
  • The French Wars of Religion, 1562-1629 (New Approaches to European History)
  • The European Nobility, 1400 1800
  • Transitions to Capitalism in Early Modern Europe
  • Ritual in Early Modern Europe
Early Modern Europe, 1450-1789 Gender in History: Global Perspectives Lives and Voices: Sources in European Womens History The Marvelous Hairy Girls: The Gonzales Sisters and Their Worlds Luther on Women: A Sourcebook