Start by marking “Afton of Margate Castle (The Theyn Chronicles)” as Want to Read:
Afton of Margate Castle (The Theyn Chronicles)
Preview

Afton of Margate Castle (Theyn Chronicles #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  384 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Beautiful, headstrong Afton is taken from her parents at an early age and raised in the castle, a companion to the earl’s daughter. Schooled in the ways of kings and surrounded by splendor, Afton falls in love with the earl’s son, brave, Calhoun, her childhood protector.

But Calhoun’s mother, the Lady Endeline, has much different plans for him than marriage to a villein’s d
Published July 4th 2008 by Angela Hunt Communications (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Afton of Margate Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afton of Margate Castle

Ashley
This is a review of the 4th ed. release of the book.

I had read this story in junior high school after reading the second book in the series. While it didn't leave as much as an impact on me as The Troubadour's Quest had, I did love it enough to remember it until now. On a whim, I bought the series and decided to reread them to see if they were as good as junior high school me thought they were.

I was not disappointed.

Reading this story now as an adult, I can appreciate the historical accuracie
Charlotte
Rachel Lester
A lot of people have a special book that they claim 'changed their life'. The only book to have changed my life thus far is God's Word. However, there are books that I have come across, few and far between, that have changed my perspective. This is, without a doubt, one of those books.

I read it in three days because I had to find out what would happen to the characters next. I didn't want to know what would happen to them next, but I had to know. Hunt doesn't leave anything out. The suffering a
May
First thing that determined how I'd hated this book. beauty is considered golden had and gray eyes. dark hair is diminished in this book. as well as the use of the word Negroes which I hardly think was used during that period. Then we have small children with more mature minds with thoughts far exceeding that of a hopeless romantic adult. At nine years old the main character is speaking as if she's a 16yr old love struck girl. The reality escapes me when you have a 13yr old marrying a 50+ yr old ...more
Meghan Ball
I love this book! It's slow, it's sweet, sometimes I don't remember why I love it so much but I always will. The story is about two people who fall in love and get separated and their journey to get back together. Some terrible things happen and some wonderful things happen but I guess what I still love is the message that love can endure that long. For me it's a hopeful story of two people who never give up. No one else in the world may like this book but I love it!
Kathy
This was an amazing book! I have loved the other books I've read by Angela Hunt, and have always been amazed at how she writes a story. This book did not disappoint. It was one of those that I couldn't wait to get back to when I had to put it down. It was set in medieval England, a setting I'm not so familiar with, and was most excellently written. I highly recommend it and can't wait to read the others in the series.
Colleen
Overall, I loved the rich historical setting and Angela's obvious research to be faithful to the era.

Occasionally the plot felt forced or awkwardly advanced, like the section about Agnelet where the chapter opens, "The next two years passed smoothly at the convent." The rest of the paragraph doesn't actually support that statement well, and considering Hunt's generally lush writing style, phrases like these felt glaringly pedestrian.

Another reviewer expressed frustration with the last half of t
Liz
My sister brought this home from the library. As always I glanced through the books to see if any interested me, when I came across this one.From the first page I was trapped in the world and never put the book down. Amazing
Meghan

Writing quality and research for this book were well done, which bumped this from a 1 star to a 2 star for me. The ending brought resolution and some redemption, that bumped it to 2.5 for me.

The story itself I just personally disliked. Immensely. I probably should've stopped reading, but I kept thinking it couldn't get any worse. I was wrong on that count time and again.

For those who don't mind reading tragic and twisted things that may be true to the historical period, don't hesitate
Michelle
excellent picture of Christianity in medieval times
anna
There was a decent story in this novel, but I fear it was wrapped or so thoroughly in the negatives that I could not enjoy it. It was possible to sympathise with the characters, at least at first, but the device of throwing every possible ill circumstance conceivable (and some inconceivable) at the characters for as long as possible, seemed to be to become stretched and predictable after a while.
To me, some of the motivations of the characters and situations also seemed-a little far –fetched- s
Cam
I really enjoyed this epic tale set in medieval England. It was full of unrequited love, adventure, tragedy, friendship, angst, honor, treachery, battles, losses—and finally—victory and happiness, though it was hard-won, not without its own loss, and not wrapped up as tidily as I'd wished. But it sure made for an interesting story with an ending that satisfied me.

I loved the medieval settings; this is my favorite time period. The author clearly did her research on the people, places, customs, a
Dee
*Warning* this is a very intense, violent, brutal and depressing book! A very intense book. I picked this book, thinking it was a romance novel, but it wasn't. If you like reading about ancient history, you might like this book. I like reading about this period, but I had to put it down because it got to be to much. Slavery books, violence against women and babies too much
This author is a good writer, she made the story come alive. But I'm not going to read any more of her books,
Trudy E
Only having a general knowledge of this time period in history, I wasn't certain how well I would like this book. Ms. Hunt does not disappoint in the tale of Afton, a very young and lovely villein who is torn from her family to be reared in the castle, and Calhoun, the handsome and chivalrous son of the earl. Torn apart by social class and the whims of Calhoun's mother, Endeline, this story of love and loss, of evil and forgiveness, is a page turner from start to finish.
Margaret Klein
Mind numbing!

Mind numbing!

Though the story has an happy ending,it was tedious, sad,and took forever to come to a conclusion.I can not say I enjoyed it.
Sally Hannoush
Wow! this book was all over the place. I cried and felt remorse at times and also felt sympathy and enjoyment. This book showed social class and cruelty even when intentions were good. This book is not for the faint of hearts nor is it a happy light read. I liked the story myself but it is not for everyone.
Pamela
This book is set in England from 1119-1141. It's a time of Earl's, castles, Knights, and fiefs. I don't usually enjoy this time period, but this book really keep me reading!
Angie Braegger
this story was slower, but I really liked reading about an age I don't know a whole lot about. its clean, and while sometimes the characters drove me nuts, I did like the book
Sherry
I enjoyed this read. The year 1119 AD, and Afton is a villein born to the estate of Lord Perceval of Margate. She is beautiful (of course) and young Calhoun of Margate falls for her at the young age of 9 or 10. She is subsequently given to the Lord and Lady Percival as a companion for their daughter in replacement for a dead ewe owed to the Lord in tribute. The tale follows these star crossed lovers as he becomes a Knight and travels to the crusades. It's full of great descriptions and well rese ...more
Susan Rush
Loved, loved this book! The characters were so well developed; each with their own strengths and flaws. I was sucked in from page one and kept the midnight oil burning as I was eager to turn the next page.
Lillie
Historical novels always make me incredibly thankful that I live today. Reading about the hardships endured in the Middle Ages make me appreciate the luxuries and freedoms we have today.
Bonnie Lacy
Tough book to read and had to be a tough book to write. Angela Hunt doesn't skirt around the issues and I'm glad--makes for a rich read.
Megan
It had potential, but I was rather disappointed in the pacing, the flip-flopping of character emotions/motivations and jarring pov changes.
Gailyn
I loved the mix of action, romance, and adventure. Some of the parts saddened me but others made my day. All in all it was a wonderful read!
LAWonder10
I love historical stories and romances but I hate to be reminded of
a time when women were valued mostly as a childbearing tool.
This novel was very well written and, though full of intense violence,
was unfortunately a story of the ups and downs of many people's lives.
I hated the reality of results from vain, foolish choices, the wickedness that
are in many upon earth, how evil often prevails, and the injustices that
often occur.
There is romance, action, adventure, loyalty and betrayal all portraye
Anita
I like the story. It drags a bit when Calhaun and Full are together. Calhoun is totally lacking in personality.

Not really believable that everything could go wrong for Acton.
She's present at the death of her daughter in the convent ... but doesn't know her. Then her son turns out like his evil father.

Hard to believe the Earl and the first son could be so easily manipulated by Endeline. Her evil plots and schemes work out too perfectly.

Again, it seems no one cares about typos, or use of wrong wo
Angie
How many times have I heard " Never judge a book by it's cover " ? ...yet that's exactly what I did with this gem ;-(
It's been sitting on my Kindle waiting now for I do not know how long . There was just something about the cover that didn't draw me in . Finally I decided to give it a try and I am so pleased that I did ! It is a slow moving read , but worth every minute ;-) I may have to check out the others in this series ....I hope they have interesting covers !!!!
Patricia
Class status in 12th century England is rigidly defined from the king down to the lowest villein and few are upwardly mobile unless the king or a noble grant it as a reward for special service. Afton is born a villein and raised in a noble household as a companion to the daughter of the lord and lady. She learns all the womanly arts but is reminded of her rightful position in life.

No sex
Violent acts are mentioned but not graphic
Virginia
Loved reading this epic tale set in medieval England. It was full of unrequited love, adventure, tragedy, friendship, angst, honor, treachery, battles, losses—and finally—victory and happiness, though it was hard-won, not without its own loss, and not wrapped up tidily. I loved the medieval settings and learned much about the times back then. Fascinating and a joy to read.
Kris Munoz
I enjoyed it and will look for the other books in the series.
  • Flame of Resistance
  • Lady in White: Lords of Midnight
  • The Pirate's Jewel (Pirate, #2)
  • Falling Stars
  • Of Moths and Butterflies
  • Journey to Riverbend
  • In Honor Bound (The Chastelayne Trilogy, #1)
  • The Blood upon the Rose
  • Dreamspell
  • Her Proper Scoundrel
  • Nothing To Commend Her
  • From This Day Forward
  • Angel of Skye (MacPherson Clan, #1)
  • Emerald Queen
  • Emerald Embrace
  • Heart's Ransom (Heart and Soul #1)
  • De Buty & The Beast (Faerie Tale Romance)
  • Delilah's Flame
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their twenties, Angie and her husband live in Florid
More about Angela Elwell Hunt...

Theyn Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Troubadour's Quest (Theyn Chronicles, #2)
  • Ingram of the Irish  (Theyn Chronicles, #3)
The Tale of Three Trees The Note Doesn't She Look Natural (Fairlawn, #1) The Debt Uncharted