Start by marking “Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)” as Want to Read:
Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga, #9)

Cetaganda (Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) #9)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  12,706 Ratings  ·  441 Reviews
Приключения Майлза Форкосигана продолжаются. На этот раз все начинается вполне невинно - Майлз, вместе с братом Айвеном, отправляется с дипломатической миссией на Цетаганду, где должно состояться погребение Императрицы.
Но дело принимает неожиданный оборот - Форкосиган поневоле ввязывается во внутренние политические интриги местной знати, которые угрожают и безопасности Бар
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Cetaganda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cetaganda

Evgeny
Mar 01, 2017 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
A buddy read with Choko and Maria.

It all began innocently enough. An Empress of a mighty Empire which had fairly bad attitude towards Barrayar (the former tried to conquer the latter and got their butts kicked bad - this kind of situation does not usually bring strong alliances) died of natural causes. Miles was sent to the funeral ceremony as a diplomatic representative of his planet accompanied by his cousin Ivan who was supposed to keep his relative out of troubles. To keep a long story short
mark monday
this one hit a sweet spot that I didn't know I even had: incredibly beautiful, highly intelligent, aristocratic geneticists who prize elegance and subtlety, float around in their floating chairs while encased in pearly force fields, and never cut their hair! much like the protagonist Miles, I was immediately enchanted.

unlike Miles, the reader is able to quickly discern that these remote and regal ladies actually control their empire. power lies not with the Emperor nor the warlike generals, and
Caro M.
Mar 29, 2017 Caro M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: s-f, 2017-reads
UPDATED 2017.04.02 with Worst Cover Gallery - check down below and feel free to comment!
_________________________
I had so much fun with this book. It was fast paced, it was funny, it had intrigue and very interesting characters. Miles was his usual self, saving the world (and the lady) in what was a complete improv, but extremely effective one nonetheless.

Ivan was, well, he was real Ivanushka!

I like how Bujold's stories are so well balanced and are the perfect mix of adventure, world building,
Choko
Mar 01, 2017 Choko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with Evgeny and Maria, because we love Miles!!!

What a great ride!!! I am here to report with complete delight that Miles can never stay out of trouble and he never disappoints!!! What did I do without this lovable character in my life up to now, I have no idea. I would not want to be his mom, since he has one of those and she is great, but I have those protective feelings for him, mixed up with worry, pride and pure exhilaration where he is concerned, so I feel like the
Megan Baxter
Aug 14, 2013 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cetaganda doesn't have the manic energy of The Warrior's Apprentice, which retains top spot as my favourite Vorkosigan book so far. It lacks that pell-mell, out-of-control sense of urgency that I absolutely fell in love with. But it is still a solid entry into the series, and Miles remains an incredibly appealing character to read about.

In the mea
Milda Page Runner
Another fun misadventure with Miles. Interesting and unusual Cetagandan world, priceless banter with Ivan, series of ridiculous and dangerous events and a tough case for Miles to solve. Probably the most fun book with Miles so far.
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with Choko and Evgeny.

It's time to explore a new planet in the Nexus. From the start of the series we've been told about the big bad Cetagandans and their unquenchable thirst for new conquest and it's time to finally meet them face to face. And let me tell you, they sure are something different.

Ever since the first time I read this book I've been fascinated by the complex culture of the Cetagandans. The haut are the ruling class and are the closest thing to aliens in the Vorkosigan Un
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my FINISHING THE SERIES! list.

I loves me a good series! But I'm terrible for starting a new series before finishing my last - so this reading list is all about trying to close out those series I've got on the go.

The general consensus amongst fans of the Vorkos
Melissa McShane
I remember reading this book when it was first published and thinking it was very light by comparison to the rest of the series--well, it followed Mirror Dance, so that made sense. It's still one of my favorites, and I'm impressed by the Cetagandan culture and how Miles and Ivan tromp all over it in their Vor size twelves (or whatever size shoe Miles wears). It's a clever little mystery, very enjoyable, and I cannot get the image of the kitten tree out of my head.
Jim
Jul 07, 2013 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this was another fun addition to the series, it struck me as a bit too convoluted & convenient to really work at times. Much hinged on security & technology gaffs that didn't fully make sense, still it was a fun trip featuring Miles & Ivan. They're great characters & if you just go along for the ride, it's quite entertaining.

It was also nice to get a better look at Ceteganda. They're mentioned quite often in other books, but this is the first time we get to see the beasts i
Stephen
3.5 stars. A solid entry in this excellent space opera series. Not my favorite of the bunch, but still a good read.
Zach
Feb 19, 2011 Zach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although the fifth of the Vorkosigan books in the series's internal chronology, this is one of the later books that Bujold wrote. In filling in some missing details in her fictional timeline, she brings to bear the collective weight of the story and characters as they exist elsewhere in the universe of the Vorkosigan Saga to present a fascinating answer to the question of the Cetagandans.

In other books in the series, the Cetagandan Empire is a rather faceless collection of baddies that exist as
Jon
Oct 22, 2009 Jon rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jon by: Beyond Reality Series October 2009

Miles and Ivan travel as diplomatic representatives of Emperor Gregor to the home world of the Cetagandan Empire for the funeral of the Empress. A ten-day trip to observe and enjoy social customs (and parties) quickly turns sour when Miles become embroiled in a mystery and suicide/murder that threatens to frame him, and by implication Barrayar, for a treasonous usurpation plot.

Miles, being Miles, convinces himself, and Ivan, that only he can save Barrayar's honor and salvage the Cetaga
Vicky N.
After hearing so much about Cetaganda it was nice to get to know about Barrayar's primary enemies, how their society works and the reason for their constant need of expansion.
It's interesting to see Miles grow as a character, but at the same time see him struggle with his appearance and just wanting the recognition he thinks he deserves. I think this is building up to something, so we will see.
Still, great story. If you're a Sci-Fi fan, you need to read this series.
Jordi Balcells
Oct 10, 2016 Jordi Balcells rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Dentro de la iniciativa #LeoAutorasOct. Hacen buena pareja Miles y el primo Ivan, y es que son un excelente contrapunto. Siempre es un placer leer a Bujold, independientemente de que sea una aventura de Miles o no.
Sineala
In a change from the more space-opera tone of the immediately chronologically preceding Vorkosigan novels, Cetaganda is pretty much a mystery novel in spaaaaace. Also diplomacy. Yep, Miles learns about diplomacy. In terms of worldbuilding, we the readers get to learn more about the heretofore mysterious Cetagandans, who previously were known for (a) starting wars and (b) wearing facepaint.

The Cetagandan dowager empress is dead and Miles and Ivan are off to the funeral. Because Miles apparently c
Olgalijo
Sep 07, 2013 Olgalijo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the incredible job that Bujold did in "Mirror Dance", I think that it was impossible for her to surpass herself. So, Cetanganda has more the feel of a transitional book, before ramping up into even more unbelievably entertaining adventures. Even so, Cetaganda was fun and had a solid plot. And I must say that poor Ivan needs to be in the spotlight now and then.
Leseparatist
Mar 23, 2017 Leseparatist rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
It wasn't really that much worse than the previous volumes, but the fact that there is no accounting with Illyan and / or Miles's parents at the end made it feel oddly incomplete to me.

That, or I missed having more of my favourite characters.

That said, it was very imaginative and complex (worldbuilding-wise), but the plotting wasn't as tight as in some earlier volumes, and... Miles has become somewhat obnoxious. But I'm still very much looking forward to some later plot developments I've been sp
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

Miles Naismith Vorkosigan has come a long way since his miserable attempt to qualify for the Barrayaran Military Service Academy - since then he's created a commanding (if solely based on smoke and mirrors) mercenary fleet, saved the Barrayaran Emperor, and thwarted a full-out war. Officially serving out a position as Imperial Security Courier, the brilliant (if physically less-appealing) Miles and his cousin the handsome (if decidedly less-brilliant) Iva
Mike (the Paladin)
This is the third book in the Miles Vorkosigan saga (the first 2 aren't about Miles) and it's the weakest I've read so far. The book is another adventure in the convoluted history of Miles' somewhat...unusual "military" career. "Technically" assigned to Barrayarian Security Miles has been sent to Cetaganda for the funeral of the Cetagandain Empress.

The book sets out to tell an intricate, Byzantine type story of palace intrigue. It does a pretty good job and the story holds the interest fairly we
Charlie George
Apr 26, 2011 Charlie George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, space-opera
Probably my least favorite Bujold yet, but of course still excellent. Miles as detective, matching wits with an unknown and unseen mastermind, up until a surprisingly anticlimactic end.

I would not go so far as to say an unsatisfying end, though. Miles heroism and accomplishments will be classified and secret, but they are known to some, to those who matter.

Miles' "first crush" didn't make a lot of sense, though it was cool she turned out to be like a shadow empress. What about Elena!?

Another t
Andrea
The Cetagandans are a race trying to bioengineer themselves into a higher...something, with occasional attempts to conquer all their neighbours. Barrayar has a long history of conflict with the Empire, but currently it's all diplomatic steps, and Miles has been sent to stand about at the former Cetagandan Empress' funeral.

Miles isn't good at standing about.

The book is primarily an exploration of Cetagandan culture as Miles tries to resist being framed, while indulging his Knight Errant impulses.
Shamela
Jan 02, 2014 Shamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Bujold has never failed at deeply satisfying me. I go back to the Vorkosigan series again and again, and more often than not it's this one. Miles is such a compelling character, and the trouble he gets himself into is magnificently inventive. I love the dialogue, the descriptions, the tight plotting, the scope and arc, the fascinating secondary characters--all of it. This one is particularly political with an outstandingly original way of looking at genetics and class systems.

Her books are full
R.J.
Apr 29, 2015 R.J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another re-read, since I'm working my way through the whole Miles series. When I first picked this up again, it had been long enough that I couldn't remember whether it was one that I liked, or one that I really didn't. Then I realized it was the one I wasn't expecting to enjoy nearly as much as I did.

I think it's the worldbuilding mostly, with its loving attention to detail that made the Cetagandan world(s) both utterly alien and surprisingly easy to picture, and I do love a good mystery. Also
Kathi
Nov 08, 2009 Kathi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is my favorite book so far in the Miles Vorkosigan series.

What I liked: A limited sphere of action, fewer characters than some of the other books, a mystery to be solved, and a closer look at the Cetagandan civilization.

Miles does more thinking things through in this novel, rather than making so many intuitive leaps. We get to see more of his relationship with his cousin Ivan (who provides some of the laugh-out-loud moments in the book). Miles continues to learn about himself, continues to
Althea Ann
Nov 24, 2011 Althea Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my very favorite in this series so far, but still an excellent mystery/adventure.
Miles Vorkosigan and his cousin are sent as diplomatic envoys to a state funeral on Cetaganda. Basically, all they're expected to do is to show up and look suitably grave.
However, the minute their spaceship docks, a mysterious assault occurs. In a combination of diplomatic tact and egotistical curiosity, Miles stays silent about the event, and embarks on solving the mystery himself.
Murder, politics, an enigmat
Nick
Sep 03, 2008 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Read this on an airplane. It's a award winning "Miles Vorkosigan" novel by Lois M. Bujold. I had never read one before. Anne MacAffrey says in a quote on the front, "Boy, can she write!" I'm not that enthusiastic. Still, I think Bujold does a good job of combining the sci fi genre with the detective novel, making it a pretty good commentary on popular genres. Tiptree, Jr.'s "Brightness Falls from the Air" is a personal favorite in the combination sci-fi/murder mystery field, and I don't think th ...more
Janet
Feb 26, 2014 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as strong as Warriors Apprentice or The Vor Game in terms of plot, but it had much better worldbuilding and provided an interesting look at a vastly different culture system. 3 books in, looks like I'm going to stick with this series, though I'm already feeling a little bit of repetition in the plot structure, so I think I might try to intersperse them a bit more. I like Miles, I like the world, I just still wish it had a bit more depth to it.
Brad
Mar 25, 2013 Brad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the inner workings of Cetaganda and the intrigue. Miles is always a treat, not only because he's such a brat, but also because he is the author of his own troubles. Without such verve and curiosity, then very little might have come of the plot, but fortunately, we're talking about Miles. No space battles this time, but that's hardly the draw for the novels. Seeing how Miles gets himself into trouble is.
Great fun!
Jul 18, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
"Mountains of Mourning" is still my favorite Vorkosigan story, but this one was an entertaining mystery in SF trappings. I thought it started stronger than it finished, and I had a little bit of trouble keeping all of the players straight, but it was interesting to get to know the strange Cetagandan culture. Also, I've never seen so much temporizing in one book. I guess everybody's doing it.
Romance Lovers fo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold , Sometimes in September 30 21 Sep 18, 2013 02:04PM
Science Fiction A...: Cetaganda 25 45 Aug 30, 2013 06:45AM
  • Scout's Progress (Liaden Universe, #6)
  • Rules of Engagement (The Serrano Legacy, #5)
  • The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)
  • Ascendant Sun (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #5)
Lois McMaster Bujold was born in 1949, the daughter of an engineering professor at Ohio State University, from whom she picked up her early interest in science fiction. She now lives in Minneapolis, and has two grown children.

Her fantasy from HarperCollins includes the award-winning Chalion series and the Sharing Knife tetralogy; her science fiction from Baen Books features the perennially bestse
More about Lois McMaster Bujold...

Vorkosigan Saga (Publication) (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Shards of Honour  (Vorkosigan Saga, #1)
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • Ethan of Athos (Vorkosigan Saga, #3)
  • Falling Free (Vorkosigan Saga, #4)
  • Brothers in Arms (Vorkosigan Saga, #5)
  • The Vor Game (Vorkosigan Saga, #6)
  • Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)
  • Komarr (Vorkosigan Saga, #11)

“It was suicide, wasn't it?"
"In an involuntary sort of way," said Vorob'yev. "These Cetagandan political suicides can get awfully messy, when the principal won't cooperate."
"Thirty-two stab wounds in the back, worst case of suicide they ever saw?" murmured Ivan, clearly fascinated by the gossip.
"Exactly, my lord.”
28 likes
“Emperors per se did not unnerve Miles . . . . Emperor Gregor had been raised along with Miles practically as his foster-brother; somewhere in the back of Miles's mind the term emperor was coupled with such identifiers as somebody to play hide-and-seek with. In this context those hidden assumptions could be a psychosocial land mine.” 16 likes