Start by marking “Simms Taback's City Animals” as Want to Read:
Simms Taback's City Animals

Simms Taback's City Animals (Simms Taback's Animals)

This follow-up to Simms Taback's Safari Animals presents six city animals in a guessing-game format: a pigeon, a police horse, a squirrel, a dog, a cat, a swan--all poster-size illustrations in Taback's one-of-a-kind style.
Published April 8th 2009 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about Simms Taback's City Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simms Taback's City Animals

Ashley D--
Sep 16, 2009 Ashley D-- rated it it was amazing
Rad for storytime for very young kids. Cool quarter-fold pages that ask kids to identify animals based on some of their traits. Best if you hold it on your left side so you can flip the pages with your right hand to better surprise effect. One 2-year-old girl actually screamed when I revealed "IT'S A CAT!!!"
Susan
Jun 19, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
Ah, another Taback book I can order and use in my Nursery Rhyme Time group. This has a dog, a cat, a squirrel, a pigeon, a mouse, and a horse (yes, horse, think Central Park).
I love his stuff. Love love love.
Josiah
Mar 17, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok
Okay, this book is just awesome. Simms Taback and his numerous methods of innovation continue to surprise me, and the picture books in which he employs those innovations are nothing short of spectacular.

I've seen many books that are essentially guessing games, giving clues as to the nature of a partially veiled animal to allow toddlers to incrementally guess what the animal is. Simms Taback's City Animals simply blows the entire concept out of the water. Each picture unfolds into four sections
Carol
Apr 07, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
For the right reader this is a 5 star book. The pictures, puzzles, clues, and background are thoughtfully and artfully done. My only reason in holding back a star is that I'm not sure for what age this book works best. The gross and fine motor skills needed in folding out the pictures seems to be more than a toddler can manage...though the pictures and text are toddler appropriate. The older preschool student can manage the fold outs but I wondered if the text and subjects would be enough to ...more
Emerson
Jan 07, 2012 Emerson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: flap-books, favorites
I'm a huge fan of Simms Taback's illustrations and this book is totally a home run. It's different than any other book I've read before - the pages fold out to make GIANT pages with animals on them. And finally a book about the kinds of animals I see all the time - city animals!

Mom note: these pages are super sturdy - not quite board book pages, but definitely sturdier than the average book page.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Author/illustrator Taback always strives to give us something a little different. In this book a clue is given, "I gather acorns." Next, lift a flap and find another clue, "I have a big furry tail." As each flap is lifted more of the animal's body is revealed and finally when all flaps are opened, you will find a very large squirrel. Your preschooler will delight as each city animal is revealed.
Feb 04, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
So much fun! This clever interactive book is designed to provide clues as you unfold the super-size page to reveal an animal. Definitely a lovely book to use with preschool-aged children.

Note: I borrowed this from the library and the pages had been folded up incorrectly. If your book doesn't make sense, reverse the foldings so that a clue is revealed with each opening.
Shelby Pfleiger
May 08, 2013 Shelby Pfleiger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lcrt
This giant fold-out book gives its readers a BIG look at animals around the city through questioning. City Animals is not only filled with large, fun illustrations, but is also an ideal mentor text for questioning and inferencing for young students. Such a fun book for primary-ages students!
Emily
Jan 05, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
I liked Simms Taback's Safari Animals better, but mainly I think because the animals were less of your everyday ones.
Meredith
May 03, 2010 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This fold-out picture book was a big hit in Mother Goose, but it caused a bit of mayhem. The guesses were extremely loud and boisterous. In the the future, I'd probably not share it with such a big group.
Gwen
Jul 15, 2012 Gwen rated it it was amazing
Interactive book for little city dwellers. Only animal missing is the roach. We all love reading it.
Paula
A wonderful book for story time; bright pictures with fold outs to enhance the surprise element. Short questions and while folding out the animal becomes more visible.
Used story time 6/2011 good
Crystal
Jun 15, 2012 Crystal rated it really liked it
This is a fun guessing game. There are clues, then the pages lift to show a larger picture. Fun and very colorful.
Katherine Corson
May 01, 2013 Katherine Corson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lcrt
This is a perfect book for supporting a unit about animals. We used it to support our unit where we wrote All Abouts. Then we made our own classroom Giant Fold Out Book. It turned out amazing!
Edna
Oct 01, 2009 Edna rated it it was amazing
Although the illustrations are a bit different (animals have buggy eyes which can appear unnerving) this flap-up book is good for creating anticipation and recognition for toddlers.
Leila T.
Mar 31, 2011 Leila T. rated it really liked it
Amazing fold-out pages with clear and bright illustrations, this captured M's attention (along with every other baby in the room).
Megan
Jun 03, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
Great story about city animals, perfect for a storytime for kids with short attention spans! They didn't have a page about sewer rats... probably for the best.
Joe
Nov 05, 2010 Joe added it
Giant fold out book. Would be great for a mini-lesson on predicting (K-2)...the city animals concept, though, is really interesting and could open up a ton of interesting conversations.
Andréa
Jan 12, 2014 Andréa rated it liked it
Fun concept. Unfortunately, library copies don't hold up too well, with all the folding and unfolding of the pages.
Beth
Sep 25, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k-6
Fun book for toddlers about animals that live in the city. Giant fold out pages reveal the secret of "Who am I?" with a series of clues. Delightful!
Joan Marie
Jan 25, 2016 Joan Marie rated it it was amazing
Clever format for literally unfolding the story. Guessing game format. Great manipulative for young hands. And wonderful kid-like art.
Ana Allen
Ana Allen rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Thia
guessing the animal
Chrislyn
Chrislyn rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2012
Jeanette
Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2012
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2009
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Simms Taback (born 1932) is an author and illustrator. He was born in the Bronx to a Jewish family. He is famous for illustrations for many children's books including, the Caldecott Medal winning, There was an Old Lady who Swallowed the Fly and Joseph Had a Little Overcoat, which have earned him many awards and praise in many circles. He was also a designer for CBS Records and The New York Times, ...more
More about Simms Taback...

Simms Taback's Animals (3 books)
  • Simms Taback's Safari Animals