Start by marking “Lessons for the Living: Stories of Forgiveness, Gratitude, and Courage at the End of Life” as Want to Read:

When Stan Goldberg was diagnosed with cancer, he chose to face his fear by helping others who were already in the process of dying: Stan signed up as a hospice volunteer and spent several years at the bedsides of the terminally ill. In this book, Stan shares the remarkable stories of people he met who were facing the end of life. Their stories shine a light on the human ...more
Published June 9th 2009 by Trumpeter

To ask other readers questions about Lessons for the Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lessons for the Living

Sam
Jun 16, 2009 Sam rated it it was amazing
Stan Goldberg has put together a series of stories that will inspire you to reach into your heart and soul and seek ways to care for others with a compassionate heart. Each story will guide you into acts of kindness that will move your heart into a place only your soul can embrace. In essence, these stories are encounters with eternal relationships created in our most simplest of moments in our care for others.

You will find stories of gratitude, forgiveness, courage, hope, faith, and much more
Henry
Nov 14, 2010 Henry rated it it was amazing
Just as its title says, this is a book for us living folks. It helps us build the right attitude and indispensable wisdom not just towards death but also on how we live and treat our life.

Following comments of mine were posted in Facebook originally and is English/Chinese bi-lingual:

Some thoughts from reading the book "Lessions for the Living" by Dr. Stan Goldberg
慈悲與人 -- 讀Stan Goldberg的“Lessons for the Living”有感

Jewish Buddhist Dr. Goldberg is a San Francisco resident, who has been an active volu
Gary
Sep 24, 2010 Gary rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical
This book was useful as a preview of volunteering in a hospice and what I might expect. However, the author's revelations of how the experience changed him were a little hard to swallow because he claimed he had not known joy, pleasure, forgiveness or other basic human traits before. Although ostensibly self-revealing, I came to suspect his 'confessions' were exaggerated for a better story during the rewriting (he thanks his writer's group for reviewing drafts). I more value the stories of the ...more
Heather
Aug 19, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok
Nothin' like a few tears before bed. This book had some good life lessons and was very emotional and made me take a step back and realize and appreciate things a lot more. I like how it shows how both the hospice volunteer himself (though he's also dying) as well as the hospice patients benefits from his visits. Very eye opening.. but probably none of you ladie's cup o tea. :) I'm on this random life lesson kick now though...
Naomi
Terrific, quiet, funny, vulnerable, and compassionate, Goldberg's experiences as a hospice volunteer, and the wisdom he learned from the dying people he cared for, and how to live with his own diagnosis of prostate cancer, is highly recommended for individual and small group study, religious professionals, and those who are afraid of the dying and of terminal illness.
Jennifer Campaniolo
Apr 08, 2009 Jennifer Campaniolo rated it really liked it
The author finds out he has a serious form of cancer, and this impels him to volunteer at a hospice to see what it's like to face death. What he discovers about dying will inspire the living. Not as depressing a book as it first appears, although there are definitely hard moments in the book.
Mary Chambers
Dec 09, 2011 Mary Chambers rated it really liked it
Though I disagree with his religion, I found his advice very informative and helpful. My husband is on hospice with cancer. Hospice is wonderful. They do everything they can to make him more comfortable.
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2010
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Kweeks
Kweeks rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2011
Semi Retrd
Semi Retrd rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2014
Ken Yeah
Ken Yeah rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Dasha Petrukhina
Dasha Petrukhina rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2015
dainora
dainora rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Liz Davidson
Liz Davidson rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2013
Deanna
Deanna rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Jacquelin G Bates
Jacquelin G Bates rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2010
Ferris Berry
Ferris Berry rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
Christy
Christy rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2009
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Rania Ichdatunnisa
Rania Ichdatunnisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Petra Posnikova
Petra Posnikova rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Lee Regan
Lee Regan rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2010
Meta
Meta rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2010
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Carey
Carey rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2010
Stan Goldberg has authored 7 books, 40 articles, and over 100 lectures and workshops throughout the world. His publications have received numerous national and international writing awards. His latest book, LESSONS FOR THE LIVING: Stories of Forgiveness, Gratitude, and Courage at the End of Life is Stans memoir of learning to live with cancer by helping people in hospice die. MYSELF.COM A book to ...more
More about Stan Goldberg...

“I've come to believe the baggage I'll tote to my death will determine its quality. I've learned the importance of doing simple things---telling my family and friends I love them; expressing gratitude for even the smallest kindnesses shown to me; being accepting of the unskillful words and actions of others; and asking for forgiveness when I screw up.” 0 likes