Start by marking “A Catered Birthday Party (A Mystery with Recipes, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Catered Birthday Party (A Mystery with Recipes, #6)

A Catered Birthday Party (A Mystery with Recipes #6)

When sisters Bernie and Libby Simmons cater a canine birthday celebration for Trudy, the pet pug of imperious toy company owner Annabel Colbert, the day is marred by murder when Annabel is poisoned, forcing Bernie and Libby to find a killer among many suspects.
Published December 1st 2009 by Kensington (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Catered Birthday Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Catered Birthday Party

Jessica
Dec 02, 2016 Jessica rated it it was ok
This book was okay, but I wasn't very impressed. There were a lot of characters (some with very similar names) and by the end I was having trouble keeping them all straight. And speaking of the end, the conclusion felt rushed while the rest of the book moved at a snail's pace. I doubt I'll pick up the rest of the series unless I'm desperate.
Wendy
Oct 27, 2016 Wendy rated it liked it
Fun adventure, Interesting characters, Good food :)
Book did not have all recipes from the story, bummer. Looking for the apricot bread!!
April
Jan 29, 2011 April rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Birthday parties for pugs, murder and mayhem collide in Isis Crawford’s sixth installment in her series “A Mystery with Recipes”, A Catered Birthday Party.

Bernie and Libby Simmons own a delightful and well-known catering company and shop named A Little Taste of Heaven. As sisters, they are as different as night an day, as business partners, they work together to please their customers. One such customer, Annabel Colbert, a wealthy and not-so-respected business woman asks the sisters to cater a b
Susanne
I can't do it. It's my fault entirely, not the author. But on page 3 we get this between the two main characters:
Libby kept chopping. "I don't like pugs," she informed Bernie.
"Neither do I," Bernie said as she snagged a piece of carrot off the table. "They wheeze."
I picked up this book specifically because there was a pug on the cover. Don't give me the pug as a selling point and then have your two main characters dislike pugs, Kensington Publishing.

And don't give me a pug as a character if y
Debbie Maskus
Dec 20, 2010 Debbie Maskus rated it liked it
This story involves a catered birthday party for a dog, Trudy. Of course, the owner of Trudy drinks a special wine and then states that she has been poisoned. The police do not see murder, just a heart attack. Libby and Bernie promise the dying Annabel that they will find the murderer. In this caper, Sean Simmons, father of Libby and Bernie, leads the investigation and discovers the killer. I especially liked same of the new characters: Samantha and Trudy. Crawford likes to show that anger and ...more
Susan
Aug 05, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Sisters Bernie and Libby are asked to cater a birthday party at the home of the town's richest woman Annabel--for her pug, Trudy. Annabel takes a gulp of wine, declares that she's been poisoned, and won't let the sisters call for help until they promise to find her murderer. Then, much to everyone's surprise, she dies. The police say it's an accident, but Bernie and Libby, and their retired police chief father Sean, aren't so sure. What seems indisputable is that the only person who really loves ...more
Aug 05, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
For this series, this is actually pretty good. There were a few unforeseen plot twists, the characters are getting better developed and the sisters are bickering a lot less. I also like Brandon a lot better than Rob, and was surprised to find out that the sisters are younger than I thought (Bernie is 33; Libby a few years older). Anyway, since this is the most recent installment in the series, that bodes well for the next book - at least the writing is improving as the series progresses. She ...more
Sally Myers
Jan 20, 2013 Sally Myers rated it it was ok
I enjoyed it, but it wasn't great. Why do some authors think they need to name all their characters with the same names? This book had an Annabelle, Anna, JoAnne and even the dog's name was a woman's name, Trudy. I don't see the point, and it made it really hard to keep everyone straight, which shouldn't be necessary in a quick read like this one. I did enjoy the food references though. They made me hungry and made me want to cook.
Susan
Apr 11, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
I was impressed that I didn't figure out who did it early. I think all the different characters got me a bit confused, but I did love that there were dogs involved in the storyline. I wasn't offended by Bernie and Libby may not be fans of Pugs, but that is why there are a bunch off different kinds of dogs and pets. I was also happy to see that Sean, the father, is starting to stretch himself.
Deb
Feb 04, 2010 Deb rated it liked it
I like this series and was really excited when this one was about dogs! The mystery was good, the characters relatable but I didn't care for how the author made all the dog obsessed people seem quite insane (well some of us are but not all!). Also when they gave the pug a sip of champaign at the end of the book I wanted to shake the author. Alcohol is poison to dogs.
Mojca
I just couldn't finish this one. I tried, I really did try, but gave up after a couple of chapters.

There was just something about two female cooks trying to solve a murder mystery that struck me as unbelievably absurd.
Peggy
Mar 16, 2010 Peggy rated it liked it
intersting style of writing--kind of catty --assumes you know about the characters so I guess I need to read earlier books to understand more of the dynamics. This book really doesn't stand alone very well.
Kim j
Mar 13, 2016 Kim j rated it liked it
Shelves: isiscrawford
Finally the stories are getting better along with the characters! Its not the best but now it feels like a cozy. The twist at the end was clever. Now I feel better about the other books I have un the series. Good job!
Catherine
Feb 15, 2014 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. It was a good mystery. I plan to read the rest of the series but so far they all have been good. Book 6 in the series. Please take some time and read this series if you like cozy mysteries.
Dec 02, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
The crazy characters in this story add so much to the reading pleasure. I laughed out loud at Samantha's antics. The sister's are so good at being "sisters". Lot's of people doing crazy things with their lives.
Amelia-Irene
Jan 23, 2011 Amelia-Irene rated it really liked it
A birthday party for a little dog, what can go wrong? Plenty when her owner is murdered and the dogs are the well behaved attenders of the party. To find out how the murder came about Bernie & Libby have to find out about the deceased's past to understand some of the present.
Elaine Lautzenheiser
Jan 26, 2016 Elaine Lautzenheiser rated it it was ok
Forced myself to finish this book. Did not like anything about it . Felt very sorry for Trudy (main dog character). This book consists of mostly characters who mistreat animals. Two stars was a gift!
Cathy Hendren
A lot of twists and turns. Too bad I am getting toward the end of the series. Then I will have to wait for the next one to come out.
Ann-marie
Feb 05, 2014 Ann-marie rated it it was ok
This was a quick, entertaining read. There was very little character development. Kind of shallow, but fun.....like a tv movie.
Nov 25, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing
This was one of her best! I am happy the girls, Bernie + Libby's father is out of the wheelchair...makes for a happier Dad/Sean!
Frankie
Oct 16, 2011 Frankie rated it liked it
Enjoyable. There were a lot of characters in this one -- sometimes I had a hard time keeping them all straight.
ChrisGA
Mar 21, 2013 ChrisGA rated it really liked it
Nasty woman killed and everyone who knew her wanted her dead. Full of equally nasty characters. Samantha was the bright spot.
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2012
tammytery
tammytery rated it did not like it
May 09, 2015
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Theresa Manley
Theresa Manley rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2013
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Beth Lindsay
Beth Lindsay rated it really liked it
May 01, 2012
Celeste Gaydos
Celeste Gaydos rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2016
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
  • The Secret Ingredient Murders (Eugenia Potter, #6)
  • The Hunters
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Hell Hath No Curry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #15)
  • Sugar and Spite (Savannah Reid, #5)
  • Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)
  • The Cooking School Murders (Eugenia Potter, #1)
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • A Cook in Time (Angie Amalfi, #7)
  • Dark Pursuit
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Mother's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #15)
Isis Crawford was born in Egypt to parents who were in the diplomatic corps. When she was five, her family returned to the States, where her mother opened a restaurant in Upper Westchester County and her father became a university professor. Since then Isis has combined her parents’ love of food and travel by running a catering service as well as penning numerous travel-related articles about ...more
More about Isis Crawford...

A Mystery with Recipes (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
  • A Catered Wedding (A Mystery with Recipes, #2)
  • A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • A Catered Halloween (A Mystery with Recipes, #5)
  • A Catered Thanksgiving (A Mystery with Recipes, #7)
  • A Catered St. Patrick's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #8)
  • A Catered Christmas Cookie Exchange (A Mystery with Recipes, #9)
  • A Catered Fourth of July (A Mystery with Recipes, #10)
  • A Catered Mother's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #11)