Start by marking “One and Only (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)” as Want to Read:
One and Only (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)

One and Only (Brotherhood of Blood #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  1,176 ratings  ·  54 reviews
A deadly crash changes the fate of one lonely vampire.

Brotherhood of Blood, Book 1

Vampire enforcer Atticus Maxwell stands at the edge of his own oblivion…until the faint heartbeat of a desperately wounded mortal woman calls him back. The terrible crash that almost took both their lives has brought him a charming, intriguing woman who just might give him a reason to live ag
Published November 7th 2008 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about One and Only, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One and Only

Tracy
Atticus has walked the earth for a millennium and for so long he has searched for his One, the one woman in all the world meant to be his other half. Now, after having resigned himself to not finding her, after debating the final sleep and turning further and further away from existence, he steps on a girls toes and his entire world changes.

Lissa was feeling apprehensive about taking the shuttle bus up the mountain, but she got on anyway. Slightly psychic, she's feeling very uneasy until she see
Cindyg
This is actually one of three short stories in the book Brotherhood of Blood. Because the stories are short there is not the character development that we get from a full length book. But I was drawn in by Atticus & Lissa in One On One, then by Marc & Kelly in Rare Vintage and finally Dmitri & Carly in Phantom Desires. All the guys are Master Vampires who have lived their entire vampire lives without their mates until Atticus saves Lissa's life after an accident. Interestingly enough ...more
Jessica
wow this was awful. i mean really like best of the worst awful. the plot wasnt too atrocious but everything else was. the writing...oh god i dont even know where to begin. maybe the fact that half the time the hero talked like a "hip" 90s teen and the other half he was harkening back to thees and thous? or the fact that in one paragraph the heroine is "lustrous" and in the next she's "mousy"? or how about the fact that even though this is a book about vampires theyre barely mentioned except in a ...more
Erin
Wow. This was bad.

I didn't have a problem with the concept.
I think what I had a problem with was main twofold.
Someone else pointed out that the dialogue was just atrocious, and very soap opera-ish. Oh my gods was it ever.
It urked me literally the entire time I was reading it, which worries me as I've not read any of the author's other works.

And secondly, the speed of things. There was no actual development at all of any kind.
I didn't quite understand why the speed was so necessary, especially a
Shantal  (VERIFED BOOK LOVER)
so much potential but the writing was mediocre to my taste and also the plot was simply too rushed . Sooo many questions left unanswered . their was basically no real climax , it just went like POOF . sigh
Theresa Bischoff
INTERESTING, DIFFERENT TAKE ON THE VAMPIRE STORY. I LIKED IT.
Tracie Runge
Only the One will save you!!

Atticus Maxwell has been alive longer than any person should be and if he could have anything after all his time here it would be to find his One. Over the centuries Atticus has reinvented himself many times but it is getting harder as the years pass without finding his mate, the one person who could once again bring meaning to his life and share in his eternity.

Lissa Adams is at a crossroad. She has just lost her job due to company downsizing so has decided to attend
Barb Caruso
Sep 16, 2012 Barb Caruso rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Vampire Romance Enthusists
I enjoyed reading this book and have read it many times since I got it over a year ago. Ms. D'Arc presented a world which vampires are not as over the top as they are depicted by some other authors. The society which these vampires congregate is more from the perspective of a regular person, they just have lived longer. Their relationships are more instantaneous and more intense in the love they share but they live very low keyed in how they counteract with everyone they meet or come across. One ...more
Fairyblood
Atticus was an ancient vampire. Living a recluse life as the owner of the most prestigious winery. Lissa is looking to network her way into finding for a job at a conference. Both find themselves on a shuttle heading up the mountain. When the shuttle mysteriously skids off the road overturning down a hill, they find they are the only ones that have survived. It has been a long and lonely life for Atticus, and he almost welcomes the end but for the pull to make sure that the young woman is safe.

T
Lina Sacher
This was a quickie. There wasn't much story or background or development... But since it was a short story and the first one in the series, I was okay with that. I figured the second book would make up for the missing pieces. The love between Atticus and Lissa was pretty much instantaneous. Honestly, if you read the synopsis above, you can almost skip the book. I almost feel like it's longer than the book... you know, minus the X rated parts. I guess you'd have to read the book for the X rated p ...more
Monty Cupcake
This book is way way too awful to finish. I read 48 of 72 pages and even that was a giant sacrifice of patience & consciousness to accomplish. The delivery reads like disjointed sentences in an outlined draft. I also hate instant 'I love you's' - and by instant I mean within the first 10 pages. Ridiculous and horrible!
MK
This is the first of the Brotherhood of Blood series. This is the story of Atticus and Lisa and how one accident lend them in each other's arms. Although the way they fall in love is fast, I still like the way that a very old vampire will give his heart without any hesitation. The climatic part is quite enjoyable, that even if little, there is still action going on. I would like to know how Atticus changed Lisa to become immortal like him, and also the wedding. The cliffhanger in the end is quit ...more
Netanella
Enjoyable for a short read, if you like vampire smut - which I do. But also, this was so corny you could package it and sell it as breakfast cereal (which I also like). The falling-in-love part happened way too quickly to be anywhere near believable, and typical of most shorts, the storyline was just too rushed - there was simply too much action to be told in such a short amount of time.

Strangely, I was very much drawn to the vampire's name, Atticus. I haven't heard that name since I read Cicer
Amy
This was a very short novella which didn't give much background or development. It was basically a sex scene between a vampire and a human who end up as each other's "One". From reading other reviews, it seems there may be an extended version of the story which may enlighten us on who the characters are and how they ended up together. I can only go by my version which was 15 pages (PDF) so there's not much to base my review on. I did like the author's writing style so I will continue with the se ...more
Tina Andersen
you pnr are pretty far fecked ok i get that but this book is just to much dont get me wrong so far its not to bad its got a hole mills and bon thing going on so far but they get together just quick and as nice and as sweet as she supose to be its just to quick.. i get it that thats how it happen in the story line but just to quick and without hesition.. but again it not to bad but i have to put it down for now and move on for now and come back to it...
jD
Kindle purchase several months ago. I don't recall this being a particularly good book. If anything, it was very typical. Vamp meets girl. Vamp is rich and girl is broke. Vamp and girl get married. As I recall, there was a secondary character, teh vamps best friend, that had some potential. His scenes were funny. If there is a book about him, I would read that but I can't say I would recommend this book.
Dawn
wow like bus crash and hero and moving in with him and now getting married holy crap and to an rich vampire at that now thats hot...and now her friends in trouble and moves in with them so they can keep an eye on her...and now one of the other vampires are trying to get with her...ill take the yellow Lambourghini...bring it on!!! Well done Bianca!!!
Nikki
I liked the story line but there were a lot of cheesy parts that I had to skim through. Towards the end, it seemed like the author became rushed for time and just kind of put several chapters worth of stuff into one. Not sure if I will continue with the series, even though the rest sound good. I can't deal with the cheese.
Stacie
May 28, 2010 Stacie added it
A short story with Atticus who is a vampire. He meets Lissa when they are both on a bus that crashes. He saves her and realizes that she is his mate. But Atticus is the Master of his territory and has many enemies. Then they realize that the bus "accident" was no accident but a set up by a group of fanatics.
Ashley
I didn't realize this was a novella. It was really short and i skipped all the built up and just got right to the sex and soul mate mush. But for being so short it wasn't that bad. I would have liked the extended version alot more but i might read the next one in the series just to see if it gets better.
Tara Zormier
Did not finish this one! So unbelievable! I swear they fell in complete and total love in the first three chapters. They are mates and share a mind bond and it is so fake that I could NOT stop rolling my eyes! Where are the details? What did he even look like beside gorgeous? Ok, moving on!
Styles
I presume you know what the book is about. I'm letting you know what I liked or disliked about it.

I thought this book was okay. Characters in the story make me think they're be a sequel. A couple of characters were interesting enough to me to want to read a second book if it comes out.
Martina Urbanová
3,5
Tohto príbehu je škoda. Nebol až taký zlý, len by možno nabudúce bolo lepšie, keby sa autorka zaoberala samotným príbehom a nielen kvalitným opísaním posteľových scén. Potom mohla mať 6 kapitol plných obstojnej zápletky a nie 6 kapitol neustále sa stupňujúcich sexuálnych "hrátok".
Carolyn F.
Short story. 15 pages.

I should have done a drinking game with this story because in only 15 pages, there were 13 mentions of the [capital] One. I might have had alcohol poisoning with such a short read. But ignoring the repetition, the story was pretty good.
Amy
I think I would have rated this 4 stars when I first read it a few years ago but I was not as widely read in the paranormal genre then. I wanted to refresh my memory of this world since I recently picked up a full length novel in this series.
Susan
I find the idea of soulmates irresistible. I think mind-reading your soulmate sounds kinds creepy. A special connection, sure, but access to all thoughts and memories? No thank you!

Haven't decided if I want to read the rest of this series.
Granna
my first book from this author. I'm about half way through and it's ok, but definitely not up to par with my favorite vampire authors (Ward, Kenyon,Adrian, Shayne). I'll finish it and then decide if I want to read the rest of the series...
  • Night's Promise (Club Strigoi, #3)
  • Storm Warning (Triple Trouble, #2)
  • Hot Vampire Kiss (Vampire Wardens, #1)
  • Call of the Sea (Call of the Lycan, #1)
  • Taryn's Wolf (Wulf's Den, #2)
  • Claimed by the Wolf (Shadow Guardians, #1)
  • A Kiss Before Dying
  • Called by Blood (The Faustin Bros., #1)
  • Dark Embers (Dragon's Heat, #1)
  • Darkest Hours (Darkest, #1)
  • Blood Law (Blood Moon Rising Trilogy, #1)
  • Assassin's Honor (Order of the Sicari, #1)
  • Kiss and Kin (Werewolves in Love, #1)
  • Sweet Dreams (Halle Pumas, #2)
  • Her Wolf (Westervelt Wolves, #1)
  • Night's Kiss (Children of The Night, #1)
  • Hybrid Misfit
  • Regina in the Sun (Children of the Goddess, #1)
Bianca enjoys mixing her real-world knowledge of science with imaginary worlds in her writing. A former chemist, she tends to mix genres, concentrating most of her writing in the paranormal, sci fi, fantasy and futuristic realms, with some contemporary and urban fantasy thrown in for fun."
More about Bianca D'Arc...

Brotherhood of Blood (7 books)
  • Rare Vintage (Brotherhood of Blood, #2)
  • Phantom Desires (Brotherhood of Blood, #3)
  • Sweeter Than Wine (Brotherhood of Blood, #4)
  • Forever Valentine (Brotherhood of Blood, #5)
  • Wolf Hills (Brotherhood of Blood #6)
  • Wolf Quest (Brotherhood Of Blood #7)
Lords of the Were (Tales of the Were, #1) Maiden Flight (Dragon Knights, #1) Rocky (Tales of the Were, #3, The Others, #1) The Ice Dragon (Dragon Knights, #3) Prince of Spies (Dragon Knights, #4)