Start by marking “The Fatal Child (Cup of the World, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Fatal Child  (Cup of the World, #3)

The Fatal Child (Cup of the World #3)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Go to Tuscolo, and you will die.

Ambrose, Prince Under the Sky, is haunted by the ominous words of his ancestor. He shuns his rightful throne and remains in the desolate wastelands, a ragged and hidden king, searching for the secret that will lift the curse of a weeping goddess.

Then one day a young princess comes to him, a girl so enchanting, so beautiful, that his life is
Published September 8th 2009 by David Fickling Books (first published November 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Fatal Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fatal Child

Eskana
This book is the conclusion of Dickinson's twisting fantasy trilogy that started with "The cup of the World," which by the way I highly recommend.

This book finally reveals the underlying motivation of the Weeping Goddess Beyah, who cursed the people of the land for generations. It also reveals the continued efforts of Phaedra and her son Ambrose to end this curse. As always, Dickinson's book is filled with brilliant descriptions, twisting plots, and characters that are realistic and relatable an
Mary
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Theresa L. Stowell for TeensReadToo.com

This spectacular high fantasy is the third book in a trilogy including THE CUP OF THE WORLD and THE WIDOW AND THE KING. Dickinson uses a mixture of political intrigue, frightening battles, and treacherous relationships.

The novel starts with Thomas Padry, counselor to King Gueronius, saving a mysterious young girl in the midst of a battle. Atti is a beautiful child, and as the years pass Padry finds peace in her presence.

When Atti decides she mus
Phoebe
The third and last volume in this superb series. Ambrose is now a young man, and lord of Tarceny. Events conspire to make him King of all the land, and it seems he will be a good one--but for his love for Atti, the orphaned lady of Baldwin. The "fatal child" of the title, Atti will be the downfall of Ambrose and will cost the kingdom dearly. This novel is a little less bleak than the middle one, and has less of the creepy supernatural element, but it still grips the reader. Nicely tied up at the ...more
Emily
It is strange to me that this series that I had never heard of before has integrated itself into my life. I have yet to read the first one, but I know already that the characters and the storyline in these books are ones that will stay with me. There are some books that have a way of lingering and the people in them become more like neighbors. I will stop and think, "I haven't seem Ambrose for a while..." and then realize he is a character in a book. That's what these books did. They are good an ...more
Amy
Rather disappointed in this one. The beauty of the first two lays partially in their serious nature--bad stuff does happen. But I guess I was looking for something more final and uplifting in the final book. I won't say more to avoid spoilers, but maybe I'll try it again someday and see if I feel the same way.
Victoria

All I can say is FINALLY. Finally this series is over. I was about ready, ages ago, to just say kill them all. Just end it already!

I thought the entire series had enticing elements, undercraft being one of them, but all in all, it was boring. Would I read it again? No.
Selah Bell
I think this is the best book in the trilogy, but could be a bit less gloomy and dark.
Sara
I thought it was an interesting ending to the series.
Zee
depressing
Aria Sedai
Aria Sedai marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Mar 23, 2015
Cassie Peters
Cassie Peters marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Kyla Hanson
Kyla Hanson marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Fely
Fely marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Maddie Dilg
Maddie Dilg marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Hannah Kerr
Hannah Kerr marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Risky
Risky marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Dan Bezemer
Dan Bezemer marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Natasa Vuskovic
Natasa Vuskovic marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Polly
Polly marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Zia Nixon
Zia Nixon marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
John Geoffrey Hyett Dickinson (born June 1962) is an English author of young adult novels, and has also written one adult novel- Lightstep.
Dickinson lives in Painswick, Gloucestershire with his wife, Pippa Thomson, and two children. He is the household cook, an accountant & church treasurer when he's not writing.
More about John G.H. Dickinson...

Cup of the World (3 books)
  • The Cup of the World (Cup of the World, #1)
  • The Widow and the King (Cup of the World, #2)
The Cup of the World (Cup of the World, #1) The Widow and the King (Cup of the World, #2) WE Muddle and Win: The Battle for Sally Jones The Lightstep