Start by marking “Kosovo: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)” as Want to Read:
Kosovo: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)

Kosovo: What Everyone Needs to Know(r)

On February 17, 2008, Kosovo declared its independence, becoming the seventh state to emerge from the break-up of the former Yugoslavia. A tiny country of just two million people, 90% of whom are ethnic Albanians, Kosovo is central-geographically, historically, and politically-to the future of the Western Balkans and, in turn, its potential future within the European Union ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Kosovo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kosovo

Jan 03, 2016 Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tim Judah is an English journalist who, in the late 1990s, covered Serbia and Kosovo for a number of English-language media outlets. He gained a reputation for clearly explaining the complex political issues and ethnic clashes of the area to a foreign audience, and in this book -- whose second edition was published in 2008 in the aftermath of Kosovo’s declaration of independence, aims to familiarize readers with the basics of this European region, battlefield, and nascent independent state.

Nicholas Whyte[return][return]In this short book, Economist correspondent Tim Judah has simply put down on paper the basics about Kosovo, up to the declaration of independence about a year ago. I know the author well and I know the subject well, so I may be biased, but it seemed to me a good and pretty neutral guide to the facts about Kosovo's history, and the problematic future of its relations with the EU and its neighbourhood. (Though I still don't believe Carla de ...more
Lars K Jensen
Jun 23, 2016 Lars K Jensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that delivers on its promise. I've read other books about the fall of Yugoslavia (and the times prior); one of them was written by a TV reporter and the other by a high school teacher. Both had a clear passion for the subject, but their formulation in written words was detectable.

Enter Tim Judah, a Balkan correspondent for The Economist who also writes for other publications. This guy can write. In fact, I like his writing so much, that I just bought his In Wartime: Stories from U
Sep 13, 2009 Jonah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is nothing more/nothing less than a good, efficient primer on the current situation in Kosovo and how it got to this point.
Jun 30, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an incredibly interesting overview of the history of Kosovo and the area formerly known as Yugoslavia.
Allan Leonard
I was once asked if I thought the Northern Ireland conflict was difficult to comprehend. Not really, I replied. What confounded me was that as so many people within Northern Ireland understood the various factors involved, why work towards any resolution took so long.

Put another way, I found comprehending the geo-political situation of former Yugoslavia more difficult. For most of its former republics, resolutions were via the bloody wars of the 1990s.

And then there's Kosovo, with its independen
Dec 13, 2014 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before starting this I didn't know much about the former Yugoslavia region's history and current politics. I visited Zagreb and Ljubljana (a day in each) in 2008 but the strongest memory I have was how smokey it was in the music venues.

A few things I took note of I thought interesting:
-In 1967 Albania's communist dictator declared Albania to be the world's first atheist state.
-By 1991 (since.. ?) 21,000 teachers had been dismissed in Kosovo for refusing to teach the Serbian curriculum (the prima
Oct 03, 2011 Matt rated it really liked it
Great book telling the long story of Kosovo detailing some of the ancient history but focusing most on the recent post-World War II history.
The author starts out discussing the history of Albanians and Serbs. And the historical events that shaped the culture and the demographics of Kosovo. He discusses the Battle of Kosovo of course, but also the Great Serb Migration, the Balkan Wars, the violence of March 2004, and finally the declaration of independence in 2008.

This book was very dense. Full o
Sanjay Varma
Mar 22, 2016 Sanjay Varma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
In history classes taught in American schools it is quite common for the students to be given two textbooks. Book 1 is written as a narrative of events, combined with some biased point of view. Book 2 collects a lot of primary sources such as newspaper articles, treaties, and letters. The student combines both books in their imagination to gain an understanding of history.

Tim Judah's book on Kosovo combines both functions. Another reviewer accurately describes it as a "primer." It is concise, co
Jun 15, 2015 Vrinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travelwriting
I found this very useful as a basic primer on Kosovo's history. It was informative, but I felt it ended very abruptly.... as though there were still questions about Kosovo's future that it could have posed. I also think some charts, tables, and/or timelines could have helped to reinforce some of the history it was moving through. Overall a good read though.
Oct 01, 2012 Mariana rated it really liked it
Great insight to the very complicated, still unresolved situation in Kosovo. Also helps you understand peripheral countries' relationships with each other. I felt the author did a great job being objective, and after having read it I still am not decided as to what should be done.

As they say, if the answer was easy the problem would have been solved by now.
Mar 11, 2016 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was exactly what I was looking for: a short, to the point analysis of where Kosovo is at. It helped to read some heavier material before this, as that helped me connect some of the dots with this books overview.
Dusko Medic
Jan 06, 2016 Dusko Medic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and short book

Very good documentated facts about political situation of Kosovo within the years past.
I expected to find more about everyday life in Kosovo.
Dec 31, 2015 iarXiv rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-english
Impartial and a good introduction. Does what it says it does.
A quick review of the events that shaped Kosovo.
Feb 13, 2009 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good as a basic introduction...
Tania is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2016
Marwa marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Meri marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Brendon Clarke-Coogan
Brendon Clarke-Coogan marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Rose marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Blerina marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Jacky marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Diana Cosma
Diana Cosma marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Lucy added it
Aug 25, 2016
Benjamin Quartey
Benjamin Quartey marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Julia N ONeil
Julia N ONeil rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Blair marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Brad Toy
Brad Toy rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Shend marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Tim Judah is a reporter and political analyst for The Economist, and has written several books, mainly focussing on Serbia and Kosovo. A graduate of the London School of Economics and of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University he worked for the BBC[1] before becoming the Balkans correspondent for The Times and The Economist. During the Kosovo war he broadcast widely and wrote ...more
More about Tim Judah...

“For as long as anyone can remember, the history of Kosovo has been a battlefield pitting Serbs against Albanians. Each believes different things because each has been taught different things, and as they reach further back into time it becomes easier to argue whatever they want in order to find support for their view of the present.” 3 likes