Start by marking “Tyranny” as Want to Read:
Tyranny

Tyranny

In Tyranny, brisk, spare text and illustrations that deal head-on with anorexia propel the reader along on Anna’s journey as she falls prey to the eating disorder, personified as her tormentor, Tyranny.

The novel starts with a single question: “How did I get here?” The answer lies in the pages that follow, and it’s far from simple. Pressured by media, friends, the workplace
Published October 13th 2009 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about Tyranny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tyranny

Licha
Aug 22, 2016 Licha rated it really liked it
As soon as you open this book to page 1, you're assaulted by the brutality of the horrible monster named Tyranny, who is the voice and conscience of Anna. Tyranny is choking her out, lifting her in the air and yelling at Anna: I TOLD YOU NOT TO EAT. YOU ARE TOO FAT!! The image made me gasp in horror and I was unable to take my eyes off this drawing. I immediately felt so bad for Anna. Seeing Tyranny throughout the rest of the book did not make it easier to get used to it. It is one of the best w ...more
Marsha
Oct 03, 2009 Marsha rated it it was amazing
There are many things that are standard about this eating disorder novel. Like so many, the storyline begins with the main character – named Anna in this case – as she is in the worst stages of her disease. The narration then flips back in time to her early childhood and teen years, highlighting her evolving attitude towards friends and family, food and body image. Like so many novels of the genre, the main character's catharsis comes at the death of a friend who also has an eating disorder.

But
Trish
May 15, 2016 Trish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel shares the author's battle with the eating disorder annorexia in a way that helps the reader understand her thought processes and actions as she moves through different stages of her disease. It isn't an easy book to read, but it is an important book for anyone who has a friend with this disease.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Sep 22, 2016 Jon(athan) Nakapalau rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read on eating disorders...from the perspective of someone living with the problem.
Lyndsey O'Halloran
Feb 11, 2011 Lyndsey O'Halloran rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Tyranny is the first graphic novel that I have ever read but I accepted it for review as I thought the subject matter was extremely important, not only in the YA genre, but for everyone. The book is extremely informative as to what can happen with eating disorders and it doesn’t try to hide anything.

Tyranny follows the life of Anna as she goes from being a normal teenager with a healthy appetite, to a girl who cant stand to look at herself and wants to be someone different. As the story follows
Eric Piotrowski
Nov 20, 2012 Eric Piotrowski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, comics, feminism
As a male feminist with a fairly good body image, the question of anorexia has always fascinated and horrified me. I've watched female friends struggle with the problem of body image (and how to relate to food in general), and I've never known quite how to react to such things.

When I became a high-school English teacher these issues became a bit more urgent, as I began to wonder if any students were wrestling with them. I rant about the culture and advertising industries which train us all to ha
Sarah Sammis
Jul 23, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Tyranny by Lesley Fairfield caught my eye at the library. It's a graphic novel that looks at causes of anorexia and the devastating effects it has on people.

The book starts near the end of the story with the protagonist, Anna, wondering how she has gotten to this point in her life. She goes back and examines her home life and how little things piled together to make her stop eating and fearing food.

Throughout, Anna's anorexia is personified by this scribble woman whom she calls Tyranny. She nags
Michelle
Dec 30, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This is an exceptional graphic novel (autobiographical, I believe) with (I almost hate to say it with such a serious subject matter) cute illustrations. I loved the artwork. The story was interesting enough to keep me reading, and I really liked how the ED was portrayed as an entity in the story. It's a short and fast read, well worth it, imo. Anyone who has ever struggled with any type of body image insecurities will be able to relate, in part, to this story.
Candis
Mar 30, 2012 Candis rated it really liked it
Simple, sparse and cuts to the quick of body dysmorphia and anorexia. Great drawings, tight story, a rapid-fast read: good stuff.
Skyler
Apr 29, 2014 Skyler rated it it was amazing
How it begins: "As long as I'm thin and perfect, I'll be invincible!"
How it feels: "My life is gone, but I'm alive and dead too."
How it is realized: "Am I dying? I don't want to die! It's too soon! Let me live."
How it is conquered: "For the first time in a long time, I have a future, and I'm happy! So, once and for all, I don't care about being thin!"

By definition, the word "tyranny" encompasses multiple definitions and can also refer to any "despotic abuse of authority" or "undue severity or ha
Carly
Aug 11, 2012 Carly rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I read my first graphic novel last year and was instantly converted – I thought it might get confusing trying to understand the layout but I love the blend of illustrations and narrative and think graphic novels, when well done, can be an enhanced reading experience.

When I accepted Tyranny for review I think I knew it wasn’t going to be like anything else I’d ever read and that feeling was definitely correct. This is a heartbreaking novel that doesn’t shy away from the truth of eating disorders
Joanne
Feb 02, 2012 Joanne rated it liked it
I first heard about this book when I held Body Image and Self-Perfection Month two years ago, when another blogger taking part reviewed it. I was intrigued as to how a graphic novel would deal with such a serious subject, and now I've read it, I'm in two minds.

I think Tyranny is a great way to get your first glimpse of what living with anorexia is like, as it covers years of Anna's life and how it effected her. It's a great way to get the discussion going or at least think about it as an individ
Mary
This is a difficult book to know what to do with. It is probably a best fit for high school students interested in knowing what life is like for an anorexic young woman. It is a graphic novel, and the illustrations convey a great deal of the information allowing words to be kept to a minimum. It is not a story with any subtlety or complexity. It is like a short memoir in graphic novel format with a single plot (no subplots, a single main character [if Tyranny is counted as part of Anna], no ...more
Meryl
Feb 28, 2013 Meryl rated it liked it
The story was really great and painfully true because so many girls slip into eating disorders. I was surprised it was so small and short, though, the book itself. For me, with the drawing style and the way the story was told, it seemed like a brochure on anorexia, or a little booklet they pass out to you in middle school for health class. I guess it seemed so simple and too straightforward and obvious? I'm not sure. I thought it could have been more raw and dark, though I'm definitely not ...more
Diana Welsch
Nov 03, 2010 Diana Welsch rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
The cover of this had a cool, edgy look to it, so I picked it up and gave it a look. A graphic novel about a young woman's battle with anorexia? Bound to be powerful. Right?

I was expecting more edge and drama from this this than I ended up getting. It had a light-hearted feel to it, mostly due to the art. The illustrations made it look like this would be aimed at younger kids, almost like it could be in Highlights magazine. There was no subtlety in the art or plot whatsoever. While there were s
Raina
Fairfield chronicles her experience with eating disorders. She manifests her disorder with a character named "Tyranny." I'm not in love with the illustration style, and the I felt like the narrative could have been tighter. Certainly appropriate for the audience, I suppose, which I'm assuming is made up of girls with eating disorders. But.... I think maybe my problem with it is that it tries to do some sophisticated things with the illustrations - non-linear speech bubbles, an "imaginary" ...more
Izzy
Aug 19, 2014 Izzy rated it really liked it
If you are after a great read, a book like Tyranny is surely the way to go. The book shows a moving tale of the fight Anna faces against her eating disorder. A great story for early teens, giving us an in depth look into mental issues that we have or may suffer from.
As this struggling anorexic girl faces the evil demon of herself ‘Tyranny’, she forces herself to believe that she is overweight so drops weight in an unhealthy way very quickly. This book takes a journey through the life of a young
Nels_cee
Dec 02, 2014 Nels_cee rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics
I have no problem with eating because i fell like i have a natural black hole in my stomach.
this book has made me realize that there are people who suffer from eating disorders and it has made me thankful that i can eat.
sometimes we take the little things in life for granted without knowing that other people might be missing that little thing which completes you and makes you happy.
This book in my opinion should be in all high schools and primary schools to educate both young girls and boys.

I p
Cindee
Jan 28, 2014 Cindee rated it really liked it
Tyranny was a very scary graphic novel - scary not because it was a thriller or anything like that. Tyranny was about an eating disorder in which a girl who goes through puberty and finding all of the changes to her body very unsettling. We watch her slowly disintegrate and fade away and she succumbs to this voice in her head (that she calls 'Tyranny'), telling her to not get fat.

It's really scary because we see how alive this Tyranny is, and how it completely controls her actions and behaviour
Kath
Jan 21, 2016 Kath rated it really liked it
This graphic novel depicts the author's 30-year struggle with anorexia and the tyranny that it held over her life. As someone who has struggled with self-esteem and weight issues as well as worked with countless high school students who have, I can say that the graphics and the story in this book are real. Scary real. I would say it's a must for every high school counselor to have on their bookshelves, but I know that often girls caught up in hating their bodies are not in a head space where ...more
Annabel Hand
Aug 20, 2014 Annabel Hand rated it it was amazing
This graphic novel is an incredible eye opener to those who are suffering and gives a really wonderful non pro-ana stance on eating disorders. It shows that being thin is not the only desirable thing and that people with all body shapes can suffer too.

If you hold an ignorance towards eating disorders and those who suffer from them then read this as it will change your perspective and help you fully understand the pain the boys and girls go through with this awful mental illness.

If anyone who rea
Rhica
Mar 25, 2015 Rhica rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for anyone who has ever wondered what an eating disorder can do to a person, changing your thinking and making you feel inferior and like you will never be the self you want to be.
Eating disorders are so misunderstood, as are mental illnesses and it is crucial that the "rest of us" who do not deal with it on an everyday, first hand basis to sit up and pay attention.
This book needs to be read by everyone.
My copy was missing a page but that page probably had a lot to say
Kelly
Not bad, but it was nothing special. I thought it was skewed really young -- this is one I'd hand to a 9-12 year old. What I did like was that MALES were in the treatment center, too. Male eating disorders aren't out there enough. More to come ...
Bethany Kneser
This was an eye opening graphic novel on the diseases of anorexia and bulimia. It was a quick read, and I would share this with people who could be fighting. It was great!
Tiffany Smith
Nov 16, 2016 Tiffany Smith rated it liked it
I don't really know how to describe my feelings about this book. This book discusses the effects of anorexia, both mentally and physically. I can't say whether it is good or bad. I think I'm on the fence because it is not at all what I expected. Part of the problem may be that I don't have enough schema to completely understand the author's purpose. I will say that the artwork is great and they could tell the story without the dialogue.
Frances

Mini-review originally posted on Nightjar's Jar of Books.

This is a short graphic novel which tells the story of a young woman called Anna, who has struggled with anorexia since puberty, egged on by Tyranny, who refers to itself as Anna's "other self"; a demonic manifestation of the dark thoughts at the root of her disorder.

I really wanted to like this book, since it seemed like a really interesting concept, but unfortunately I found it more boring than anything else. I did like some of the art,

McArthur Library Staff Picks
This graphic novel puts on paper that horrible, terrible, no good, evil, malignant, awful and all-around WRONG voice in the heads of many people telling us how gross we are. And then, with hard work and determination and support KILLS it! (YAY!!) Great art, great writing, great topic. This one is for all people, all ages - (that means you, parents and grandparents!)
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)

A really big thank you to the people at Walker for sending this book for me to review. I've never seen a graphic novel deal with the topic of anorexia before, so I was intrigued with it even before I had a copy in my hands. As some of you may know, I had my own experiences with an eating disorder as a teenager, so it is a subject very close to my heart.

The cover of this really stood out for me. It's very striking, the yellow with the drawing of Tyranny. Right from the cover, I realise that one's
Renee
Sep 22, 2016 Renee rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, memoir
Moving, thought-provoking graphic novel about body image and eating disorders. About the best way to show the difference between how we see others vs. how we see ourselves. So powerful for such a small little book; if you have a body that you have ever hated - I say read this.
Suzanne
Sep 28, 2009 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian, ya
In Tyranny, author and illustrator Lesley Fairfield documents the struggle of a teenage girl who falls victim to the thinsanity of popular culture. Despite evidence to the contrary, Anna thinks that she's fat, and what starts as a diet to lose "just a few more pounds" soon turns into an uncontrollable spiral of anorexia and bulimia.

Though geared toward girls aged 11 and up, this graphic novel's artwork and subject matter would be very shocking and affecting to readers of any age. there is only a
  • Alia's Mission: Saving the Books of Iraq
  • The Amazing "True" Story of a Teenage Single Mom
  • Breaking Up (Fashion High Graphic Novel)
  • City of Light, City of Dark (Orchard Paperbacks)
  • On Loving Women
  • Burnout
  • Kith (The Good Neighbors, #2)
  • Bitter Medicine: A Graphic Memoir of Mental Illness
  • The Savage
  • Scared
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Moonshot: The Indigenous Comics Collection, Volume 1 (Moonshot: The Indigenous Comics Collection, #1)
  • Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder
  • I Remember Beirut
  • The Next Day: A Graphic Novella
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Shoplifter
  • Dotter of Her Father's Eyes
Lesley Fairfield is a graduate of the Ontario College of Art and Design in illustration. Her work appears in many children’s books. Lesley’s personal thirty-year struggle with anorexia and bulimia has informed her work concerning body image, which has appeared in “Dance in Canada” magazine and in York University’s International Women’s Studies Journal.
More about Lesley Fairfield...