Start by marking “Things Worth Remembering” as Want to Read:
Things Worth Remembering

Things Worth Remembering

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Kendy Laswell and her daughter, Maisey, used to do everything together - until one fateful summer when Maisey witnessed something she shouldn't have, and their relationship fractured. Now, Maisey is back home to get married and Kendy realizes this is her last chance to reconnect with her. Will they be able to reclaim the bond they once shared?
Published October 1st 2009 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Things Worth Remembering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things Worth Remembering

The Fairest Beauty by Melanie DickersonThe Healer's Apprentice by Melanie DickersonUnrivaled by Siri MitchellCourting Morrow Little by Laura FrantzCascade by Lisa Tawn Bergren
Georgous Gowns (Mostly from Christian novels)
25th out of 106 books — 29 voters
The Reflections of Queen Snow White by David   MeredithShadow Hand by Anne Elisabeth StenglTo Birmingham Castle by Alicia A. WillisStarflower by Anne Elisabeth StenglThe Fairest Beauty by Melanie Dickerson
Gorgeous Book Covers!
142nd out of 165 books — 67 voters

More lists with this book...

Dec 03, 2009 Lori rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christian fiction fans, contemporary fiction fans
Things Worth Remembering is a touching story of a mother and daughter who have a very detached relationship, due to a horrible secret that has been kept for the past nine years. The story takes place during the week before Maisey and Marcus' upcoming wedding. They have come home, to Maisey's parents house, to get things in order before the big day. After a few days spent with the Laswell's, Marcus begins to notice that Maisey either completely ignores her mother, Kendy, or treats her very insole ...more
Forgiveness. Is it really important? "Things Worth Remembering" is a beautiful example of how important forgiveness is. Kendy loves her only daughter Maisey more than life itself and until Maisey was 13 they had the perfect mother / daughter relationship. Then Kendy entered a very dark period in her life and the relationship they had was destroyed beyond repair and Kendy doesn't know what to do to fix it. The problem is that Kendy doesn't have all the information, or rather Maisey has more infor ...more
Kendy Laswell’s daughter Maisey is coming home to get married. This should be a joyous time for a mother and daughter who used to have a very strong bond, but for the past nine years, Maisey has been pushing her mother away. Kendy is unsure why their bond was is so broken, but she wants nothing more than to have her daughter back. Maisey’s childhood was a happy one filled with memories of her loving parents, but the summer she was thirteen, it all changed for her and she has not been able to for ...more
Clockstein Lockstein
Things Worth Remembering by Jackina Stark is another beautifully written, poignant novel by the author. For the first thirteen years of Maisy Laswell's life, she and her mother, Kendy, were connected at the heart, with a relationship most mothers and daughters would love to have. After witnessing something the summer she turned thirteen, their bond is shattered and now nine years later as Maisy prepares for her wedding, their distance is only accentuated. Stark has a unusual talent for creating ...more
Things Worth Remembering was an touching story about redemption. It stresses the importance of forgiveness in both the offender and the offended's lives. Written in alternating mother and daughter points of view, you learn of a relationship gone astray nine years ago. The story covers the week prior to daughter Maisey's wedding. The tension is high between the two women, and as the week progresses they each remember moments before and after their relationship changed. Thus we learn how they have ...more
Things Worth Remembering was my first book by Jackina Stark. It was emotionally laden with regret and pain, but redeemed by forgiveness and a new start.

Kendy is Maisey's mother and Kendy loves Maisey more than life itself. Over the years she's been shut out of Maisey's life more and more. Now Maisey is planning her wedding and it's becoming evident to all that Maisey is hostile toward her mother. Finally the dam burst and with raging anger it's revealed why Maisey hates her mother.

When Maisey w
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
A wonderful read - Christian fiction with a real twist and story. I used to read Christian fiction more often in my younger years, but had veered away when I kept running into very "preachy" fiction. It was a random pick up at the library and I was hesitant to continue after I read the back of the book.

I am glad I decided to go ahead and read this great little book. A Christian fiction with a story that felt real and not to goody too shoes. There were a few verses and lifestyle moments that wa
Tina Chen
This is a powerful story of forgiveness and redemption, and one that I highly recommend. The only reason I'm giving it four rather than five stars is that I found the first half of it quite hard to read because of the rift and the hard feelings between the characters. It was actually a little depressing. The first half is totally necessary to achieve the beauty of the forgiveness and reconciliation, but it was still hard to read.
This is the first book by Jackina I have read and it was a very good book. There were a few issues that Maizie should have confronted early on and not let it fester in her heart for nine years. She treated her mother very badly, but in the end it was all well and forgiven. I will look for more book by this author..............
Claudia Lee
Jackina was a faculty member back in the '70's when I attended Ozark Bible College in Joplin, Missouri. I remember Jackina as intelligent, hilarious, and one who obviously loved the Lord. I thoroughly enjoyed her book. She uses the technique of shifting back and forth between the minds and actions of the two primary characters and through their perceptions weaves the tale of how a long-ago indiscretion and a deeply held secret impact today's relationships. In the midst of the hardships this past ...more
Hazel Price
Outstanding story of love and forgiveness

I don't know anything that could have made this story any better. It points how important family and friends are. Fine Christian reading!!
Reading this, Maizey's side drove me crazy, what a spoiled jerk! BUT. She was spoiled and like 21 years old, which can be more prone to seeing things in black and white with no room for grey.

(view spoiler)
Oct 03, 2011 Ashlyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who enjoy Christian fiction
Shelves: chicklit, christian, own
It was a slow start for me but it did get better! I think the book had some great messages for its readers. Forgiveness being the main one. It is a touching story about a mother and daughter who have a not so perfect relationship. Maisey, the daughter, is getting married in a week and comes home to her parents house to prepare for the big day. Tensions rise as Maisey keeps a secret she has told no one, not even her best friend, that involves her mom (for nine years). It's more of a Christian fic ...more
Debra Taylor
Loved this book. Truth, mercy, restoration, and a warm family feeling.
Summer Vespestad
A story of restoration after a long period of resentment, bitterness and unforgiveness. I really liked it.
Patty LeBlanc
This was a really hard book for me to get into. I almost put it down because it took so long to get to the good part of the book that made me want to continue reading. Once I finally did get to that part, I did like the book, though it still bounced around the storyline a little too much for my liking. I think the ending was very good though and the idea of the story was good. If you like stories about family, secrets, forgiveness, and renewal then this book would be along those lines.
Ruby halliburton
Aug 26, 2009 Ruby halliburton rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyong who enjoys Christian books.
Recommended to Ruby by: Early Reviewer (Library Thing)
I enjoyed this book immensely. It covered the fractured relationship between a mother and daughter caused by the daughter witnessing an indiscretion between the mother and the daughter's uncle. The daughter kept this to herself for years. It was only revealed on the eve of the daughter's wedding. It was very believable. The book showed the way to forgiveness through the way God forgives us. The father and mother handled the situation in a Christian manner.
I love the was this book was written. It gave you the background information that you need while continuing this the story as if you already knew it!
I started this book in the morning around 11 and finished by early evening. It was such a good read and very hard to put down. (And I did have to put it down to make lunch and take care of my family.)

The glimpse into the complicated mother/dauhter relationships of two generations broke my heart and left me hopeful. It made me want to call my mother just to chat and then take my teenage daughter out shopping.
as the back cover reads: Kendy Laswell and her daughter, Maisey, used to do everything together--until one fateful summer when Maisey witnessed something she shouldn't have, and their relationship fractured. Now, Maisey is back home to get married and Kendy realizes this is her last chance to reconnect with her daughter. Will Kendy and Maisey be able to reclaim the bond they once shared?
Alyssa Alena
The story follows up with Maisey returning home with her husband-to-be on the week of their wedding. With a secret that she kept for the last 9 years, her relationship with her mum, Kendy has deteriorated since then. With the beautiful story of the strong love between parents and their child, the author touched beautifully as well on the need for forgiveness to those who've hurt us.
The characters in this 3-generation family and their friends are carefully drawn. The main plot is the reconciliation of a daughter to her mother on the eve of the young woman's wedding. Christian values are woven into the narrative as warp to woof. It might be nice to read other stories of this group of people facing modern trials.
Although the writing was a little juvenile, this was a good read. It had a lot of appeal for family relationships, particularly the mother/daughter one. I liked how it ended, because although it ended up happy, the characters still had some things to deal with.
Esther mundih
ugh couldnt even finish this one...characters are too hard to understand. Too many characters for me to keep up with. very little romance and the story isnt really clear. Made it to page 105 and backed out.NOt for me. Am a romance addict.
I just finished this one for my book club. It took me a little while to get into it at first, but once I did, I really enjoyed it.
It has a wonderful message about how God can heal us.
Sarah Billing
This book was a gift from the Women of Epiphany Christmas party 2011 from Nancy Fevold. It was a easy and enjoyable book to read.
Great book about a mother/daughter relationship. Made me tear up a little at the end. Thanks Mom for the book and I miss you lots!
A great read! She captured family relationships and forgiveness. Believable characters.
Really liked this book. An emotional mother /daughter story.
About a mother daughter relationship.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 21, 2014 12:02PM
  • Stepping Into Sunlight
  • The Queen of Sleepy Eye
  • Shade
  • The Returning
  • Falls Like Lightning
  • Secondhand Jesus: Trading Rumors of God for a Firsthand Faith
  • All Right Here (The Darlings #1)
  • Sitting Practice: A Novel
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Impractical Jokes
  • The Healing Quilt
  • How Sweet It Is (Heart of Carolina #2)
  • C Is for Christmas: The History, Personalities, and Meaning of Christ's Birth
  • Priced to Move (The Shop-Til-U-Drop Collection #1)
  • Solemnly Swear