Transgressions

Transgressions

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  30 reviews
1642, England: David Caverly’s strict father has brought home the quiet, puritanical Jonathan Graie to help his dreamer of a son work the family forge. With war brewing in Parliament, the demand for metal work increases as armies are raised.The fair David is drawn to his father’s new apprentice. And though his father treats them both as if they were brothers, David’s feeli...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Running Press (first published April 11th 2009)

Becky Black
Scott
First the rating: The first half of the book is five stars and the last half is three stars, so it gets an average of four.

I enjoyed the beginning; the pacing was well done, good character development, and a sweet romance was initiated. Sweet as the beginning of the book, the second half becomes twice as much dark. The romantic pair is parted and the characters continue on different, and sometimes crossing, paths.

The fluidity of the story telling can be improved if the transitions between charac...more
Ayanna
Usually I write my reviews as I read, so my reactions are live, and so I can record them as they happen, because if I don't, I won't remember them. Unfortunately, I read this while on a trip to Yosemite: no internet, no laptop, just my phone as an ebook reader and a notebook and pen. Let me transcribe what I have below:

This is the first time I've read an Erastes book, although I have read blurbs, and xe always strike me as a very complex author.

It's a romance, yet also not a straight romance. Yo...more
Leontine
When I stumbeled the author, Erastes and read the blurb of TRANGRESSIONS, I was very much interested hu the unusual couple. I had no clue what was in store for me but I was more than willing to find out how this romance would affect me. Well, I can tell you it affected me alright! It was a bit of a different approach to the romantic progress but one that delivered all the same.

The two leading males in this novel are; David Caverly, a blacksmith’s son, a pretty boy and one who wants to get everyt...more
Jenre
Aug 13, 2009 Jenre rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Set in the mid-1600s, during the English Civil War and spanning a period of seven years, this complex, intricate book about the love and fortunes of two men was an engrossing read from start to finish.

At the beginning of Transgressions we are introduced to David. He is the son of Jacob, the local blacksmith. David is supposed to be learning the trade from his father as well as helping to tend the farm. Unfortunately, David is lazy, vain and self-indulgent. He shirks his work as much as possible,...more
Michael Joseph
I've always enjoyed Erastes work, especially Mere Mortals, which was the last of her works I read. Unfortunately, Transgressions failed to capture my imagination. There's nothing I can put my finger on as to why the book didn't do it for me, and it's probably not any one thing. This is a much longer work than most of Erastes' books, and it does move along rather slowly in the beginning, as her books do.

All of the things you'd expect from Erastes are in Transgressions: fully formed three dimensio...more
Gerry Burnie
The storyline of Eraste’s recent work, “Transgressions: A M/M romance,” (Running Press Book Publishers, 2009), has been well served by the product description, so I will cut directly to the elements of the story.

To begin, all the protagonists—David Caverly, Johnathan Graie, and Tobias—are good, strong characters; well-defined and distinct. Likewise their personalities are distinct, and except where circumstances require it they remain consistent throughout. David, the indolent and ‘typical-teen...more
Josephine Myles
I just adored this novel – it had me gripped from the very first page. Yes, it's a historical, but I didn't find it slow moving at any point. Erastes knows how to pace a story, while still giving enough description to give you a vivid picture of England during the Civil War.

Transgressions is the story of the romance between the beautiful but feckless David Caverly, the blacksmith's son, and the quiet but intense Jonathan Graie who is taken on as his father's apprentice. Despite the depth of thei...more
Angela
Ummm... This one makes my libido very high. God, I need to go to confession; my innocent had been contaminated! Haha Just kidding, it already is and I still read it. To be honest, the sex wasn’t part of why I continue to read it. There was war and injustice crime that I want to know what happened in the end. And if David and Jonathan was back together.
David’s father brings home a man to work for him named Jonathan. David had some feeling for him, but a guy Tobia had make him change his mind. Bu...more
Elisa Ramblings
There is all the range of love in this historical novel, but there is also the drama and the betrayal, real or supposed, and maybe there is also the incapacity of two young men to recognize the real love, the one for which it's worth to die for.

David and Jonathan, just from the name you understand that they are fated to be together as the heroic figures of the Old Testament they share the name with. It's love, it's friendship, maybe it's even a brotherly affection pushed too far, in any way, all...more
Mary
My first ever romance so of course I got for a gay one. It could've been much better. When neither of your protagonists are all that likable, it's hard to root for the happy ending. Also, maybe it's historically accurate, maybe it's not, but all the thee's and thou's got really tiring. Also, I got soured on it because I happened across the kerfuffle about this genre about halfway through the book. Clearly I'm not going to be on the side that thinks that straight women writing gay erotica equates...more
Leslie Nicoll
I discovered Erastes as an author about a year ago and she has earned a place on my list of favorites. Why? She writes beautifully, tells a great story, pays remarkable attention to historical details (I'm a stickler for that), and is realistic in her depiction of human emotions and relationships. As an author, she delivers the complete package. As a reader, that's what I want and to date, Erastes hasn't disappointed me.

Trangressions is Erates' second novel and is a worthy successor to her firs...more
Danni
This is the first time I've ever started reading a story, given up part way through and then gone back to it and loved it. Maybe it's because it wasn't what I normally expect from a M/M Romance - I would be more likely to file it under Historical Fiction. It is not a light bit of fluff, it is extremely dark in some places. It also has a very long separation of the MCs which I usually hate.

But it is so well written, the characterisation is brilliant, and the emotion is so intense, it ends up bein...more
Kelly
I enjoyed this. I liked the relationship between Jonathan and David when they were young, and I enjoyed following David as he grew and matured. However, like all m/m books I've read (that aren't fanfiction), a lot of development seemed rushed or left out all together. Instead of leaping through years to get to the end, I really wish more stuff had been explored (like Jonathan's recovering after Michael and his rise through the ranks to become General.) While the ending made me smile, it was a li...more
Andy Spark
Great book, really liked the juxtaposition and irony of witch finders, all wrapped up in their religious fervour, searching for witches, (don't exist but they think they do) and naturally gay men, (do exist but they think they don't). There was just the right amount of sexiness for me. The only thing I didn't like so much was that one of the scenes was a torture scene which was a bit too explicitly violent for my liking.

Well researched historical detail in this book too, a really good read.
Steve
Sep 11, 2011 Steve rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: A person with a romantic heart.
This book is absolutely beautiful. This is a perfect example of what alot of the gay book genres are missing, romance, and a deeper meaning that just the wash board abs and the steamy sex scenes. Yes people like to read intimacy, but this book combines intimacy and romanticism. I have yet to find another book like this in the gay genres, and anyone who wishes to feel something more than just a mild thrill, i recommend that you read this book, you will not be dissapointed.
Julia
Surprisingly good plot and believable characters. The dialog feels a tiny bit stiff in a few places, but the story makes up for it. There's plenty of love scenes that don't fall into some of the more typical trappings "throbbing love hammer" and such. In the end, it was a nice light read. My only complaint is that it could've been made MUCH deeper and set into a trilogy.
Dustin Demoin
This book was very much drenched in a Dimsdale-esque cloak and verbiage, that lingered on the side of more "classic novelists." Unfortunately, the story seemed even further afield of events that might be possible for even a cheesy gay romance novel. I think it had too much going on, and needed to be more focused for my tastes.
LdDurham
I just couldn't seem to get into this one. I have no clue if it was good or bad because I lost interest after about ten pages. I admit, learning that our two heroes are separated for a big chunk of the book put a real damper on my enthusiasm. I might try again another time and see if I was just not in the right frame of mind.
Shawn
WOW! Though, parts of this story (no spoilers) is disturning, it is amazing.

David and Jonathan suffered incredibly in loving one another and their road back to each other is heartrending.

I highly recommend this book!
Meg
Sep 19, 2009 Meg rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of 17th century history
Shelves: historical, glbt, romance
I struggled with this book for various reasons, none of them the fault of the author, really and must conclude that it is just not my cup of tea.

Those familiar with 17th century history would probably enjoy it.
Stepha
The story line has twists and turns, so much like life itself. I am going to be reading it again. There was some darkness and real emotions with Jonathan and David also Tobias and Hal.
S.J.D. Peterson
An amazing love story and self discovery in a time when such discoveries were punishable by death. A breathtaking read that makes you laugh, cry and jump for joy.
Stefan Ruiz
The start did not engage and I nealy put the book aside, but it gained momentum and ended up quite good. Nice read.
Denicemarcell
Sep 20, 2010 Denicemarcell marked it as to-read
february 8th, 2011. heavy going. i think period correct but i find the main character very immature and annoying.
Lee Rowan
May 18, 2010 Lee Rowan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lee by: the author!
I would not actually call this a "romance." What it is, is one hell of a fine historical novel.
Gwen
Maybe one of these days I'll learn to save ridiculously good books for weekend reading.
Michael
Gay novel with the setting of the English Civil War.
Jerry G
decent. accurate. a good story. nothing too great.
Erastes
May 13, 2011 Erastes added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Lambda Award Finalist for Gay Romance 2010
  • Tangled Web
  • False Colors
  • Lover's Knot
  • Trilogy No. 111: Speak Its Name
  • The Phoenix
  • An Agreement Among Gentlemen
  • Gaywyck: A Novel
  • Brethren (Raised by Wolves, #1)
  • The Price of Temptation
  • Seducing Stephen
  • The Boy I Love (The Boy I Love Trilogy, #1)
  • Lovers in Arms (Extended Edition)
  • Whistling in the Dark
Born in Essex, England in 1959, Erastes attended Southend High School for Girls.

Erastes is the penname of a female author who lives in Norfolk, UK. She drew her inspiration to write historical fiction from works such as Gaywyck by Vincent Virga and the novels of Mary Renault. Erastes was the Director of the Erotic Authors Association for two years and is an active member of the Historical Novel So...more
More about Erastes...