Start by marking “The Mercenary's Tale (In the Company of Men, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mercenary's Tale (In the Company of Men, #1)

The Mercenary's Tale (In the Company of Men #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  29 reviews

When Drake's heart is awakened, he discovers the joy of forbidden love...

Drake found himself breaking his own rules the first time he looked into Ansel's blue eyes. Despite his better judgment, he agreed to let the young mercenary travel with him to the battle at Foray. Their travels become a journey of sexual discovery, love, and, ultimately, on the battlefield at Foray

Published February 2008 by Loose ID (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Mercenary's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mercenary's Tale

The Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeThe Magpie Lord by K.J. CharlesWiddershins by Jordan L. HawkBound by Deception by Ava MarchDowntime by Tamara Allen
Best Gay Historical Romance
79th out of 484 books — 808 voters
I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseSpecial Forces by Aleksandr VoinovZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleKeeping Promise Rock by Amy LaneLatakia by J.F.  Smith
Best Gay Soldiers
68th out of 324 books — 519 voters

More lists with this book...

JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Aug 27, 2013 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to JustJen "Miss Conduct" by: Bubz
Shelves: mm, ebook

Quite enjoyed this one. Some very smexy hot scenes. It has a lot of hot sex, with a bit of plot. The lingo grows on you quickly. Straining rods and aching stones abound! I really liked Drake and Ansel together, and then Logan is a total hottie. And there's a super hot threesome. I'm off to read the next installment!
Natsroshan
Sep 25, 2010 Natsroshan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Natsroshan by: Serena Yates
4,5 stars bumped to 5.

I'm not a fan of historical in MM romance (on the contrary, I prefer historical in MF romance, weird isn't it). That's why I kept saying "I'll read it after this one",... till now.

I do regret it: I love Drake. The story is really moving and got me to cry like a baby smileys Triste
The world is tough but he goes on with his life with a lot of heart, even if he does not admit it. There is grief but there is a HEA.
The secondary characters are really interesting (Thank God there is a sequel!
Elisa Rolle
First of all I have the deep impression that Lynn Lorenz was a savage romance reader, or perhaps she is comfortable with it, cause I found a lot of common elements between those read and this novel.

Second, even if it's an historical romance, it's also an erotic romance, so you will find a lot of sex scenes, often in graphic details, but you must be aware of it cause the novel is sold as "erotic historical". So, if you think that your historical romance must be a little bit more chaste than the n
Ayanna
EtA (written after eta at end):

I liked Ansel. He was kind of a cool character. Unfortunately, the author decided to kill him off. I would flag this under a spoiler, but I feel like major character death is something an author ought to warn readers of.
Also, since I'm on this note, I don't like the cover.
Or the thing with Joss. Not himself, but the magical realization. But then, at that point, I was pretty fed up with this story, so a lot of my ire probably comes from that...

Original:
The first sex
Snowtulip
3.5

This almost seemed like two different stories to me. I LOVED the first part of the book. It showed depth of character through action (the journey, helping the captured men, the battle scenes) and everything was so tangible and strong and it just destroyed me when (view spoiler). There seemed to be a drastic change after that, the story lost some of its intensity and everything had a
Brenda (b)
I loved this story. It was written in first person from Drake's point of view and told as if he's looking back at his past. I found myself drawn into his experiences and after the first portion of his tale, I found myself crying right along with him. I was happy that at the end he finally got his HEA. This was set during medieval times.

My caveat: while there are a couple of menage encounters in the story, the main focus of the story is a m/m partnership.
BTina
Not really my cup of tea. The writing was not bad but the plot seemed haphazard and the setting slightly off. The country seemed poor but there was an abundance of warm water for bathes, candles were burning wastefully through the night, single rooms were expected at the inns instead of shared beds or a bench in the tap room. Later in the story was a grave danger of enemy raiders sneaking into the country to hack off random folk's hands for a bounty. Instead of immediately sending some peasants ...more
Charly
I’m sorry to say I can’t recommend it

Warning: This review contains a SPOILER. The SPOILER is hinted at in the book’s blurb and is stated outright in other reviews, but I’m still warning readers in case they haven’t read those things. I’m including the SPOILER in my review because it’s the sort of thing I wish I had known before reading the story. It upset me, and I wouldn’t have read the book if I’d known about it.

Rating: 4/10

PROS:
- The sex scenes are plentiful and graphic. Lorenz obviously enj
Shanna
I found this book too saccharine, the conflict nonexistent and I found that many things were skimmed over that needed more depth. We never saw Drake grieve and very little internal struggle about falling in love again. For a country at war there was very little blood and the small crisis at the end was anticlimactic at best. The story was well written and the world was interesting but I felt that the book's potential was unfulfilled.
Mel
The first half of the story was a true love story, I cried :'( I give it 5 stars. The second half? Meh, I've had so much better, I give it 1 star. Combined I give an overall 3 stars. I could have gone without the second half of Drake's journey. I can deal with erotica without love as much as the next person, but don't give me a beautiful erotica-romance in the beginning then sub-par 'romance' in the end.
Camille
He called his horse, Horse. I knew in that instant that Drake would become dear to me and, he is. Hahaha! Overall, I would recommend this tale to everyone who fancies this genre. I usually prefer my stories to have some heat in them but this was... HOTTTT! I hold no doubt that I had smoke coming outta my ears until the last chapter. The children were wonderful additions. They give the reader a view(and good reason) to love the heroes as dad's and not just as romantic interests. The story was int ...more
MsMiz (Tina)
2.7 - I do not have a lot to say for this review. I wanted so much more from this book. The foundation is solid. The characters are solid, the world is vivid enough, but I was left felling unengaged with it overall. I think it needed to be a lot longer and a lot deeper.
Heather C
While not the best writing, I still loved the characters and the story. I was surprised for such an erotic book it still had romance and a plot...I even cried several times. Moving on to Jackson's story ASAP.

3.5 Stars
Pam
The Mercenary’s Tale is a wonderful story that pulled me in from the very beginning and didn’t let go until I’d finished the last word. I’ll be perfectly honest; I rarely read historical novels, no matter who the author, but I’m happy I took the chance on this one. Not only did it introduce me to a new wonderful author, but it’s given me the opportunity to read this great series.

The storyline is written in two sections…almost like two stories, and Drake is the man who ties them together. I have
Barb ~rede-2-read~
I really enjoyed this story, first in a series in which I'd already read the second book, Jackson’s Pride. It's highly erotic so if someone doesn't like explicit sex, this is not the book for you. On the other hand....

This is a historical story, the story of Drake a mercenary who is joined along the road to enlist in another war by Ansel, a handsome young merc going to the same place. The two fall in love along the way and Drake realizes that he's never felt this depth of emotion for another hu
Stacey Jo
This seems to be a good start to what is an intriguing series. I'm looking forward to reading the rest. The characters are all very interesting and very likeable. What we see of their life is well done from what I've read of period pieces but we're not given much in this book by way of details as far as the scenery of daily life. It seems to be setting us up for more to come. If you like m/m/f and m/m/m, this is a good one for you. There is some bit of action with a small battle scene (with litt ...more
Matimate
The story was narrated by Drakes point of view. Drake mercenary with nobleman blood, who simply looks rough and fuck around with babbling how rough he is and independent he is and how he gave shit about his noble origin. Constantly. He met young man who was heading in the same direction as our Drake to do mercenary duty for always in war dukedom. They slept with each other after series of Drake self-pity rumblings. Ofcourse our man is killed and Drake was mourning until he met another this time ...more
Kay
Feb 27, 2012 Kay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebooks
4 Stars! ~ This is my first book by Ms. Lorenz and it will not be my last. This is written in first person point of view, Drake's, and this worked very well for me. He's an honorable man, struggling after his lover dies in battle. Accepting the postion of Master of Arms for the Duke, puts him in close proximity to the Duke and the Duke's young son. The last thing Drake expected was to find love again and this time with the man he's sworn to protect with his life. Awesome love story!
Ashley♥Alexis
I would give this a low 3 star rating. There was nothing wrong with the content of this story but sometimes I struggled to feel the connection with the MC's (view spoiler) I felt like there were too much detail on some things and not enough on others. I just didn't feel it. The sex was pretty satisfying though.
Divina
I really enjoyed this first book in the series. I thought it was written well and the characters held my interest until the very end. I loved the emotional scenes and the romance that took place. I can't wait to read the next book.
*It's an erotic story with plenty of scorching scenes.
Angie
This book delivered it all, I laughed, cried and then laughed some more. I was absolutely taken by this story and will carry it within me for some time. Excellent… looking forward to the rest.
Chameau
In company of men is a very good series from Lynn Lorenz, well I love all her books but I am found of this particular series.
Nicole
Heavy on the intimate scenes, but a nice story of a man who lost his love, only to find new love and family elsewhere.
Angela
May 18, 2009 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Erotica, m/m, historical
Lots of sex with multi-partners. First half was very emotional and the second half makes you root for love.
Nikki ~The Critic~
I'm glad this read recovered so that I may continue on with the series as I already have them.
Ann
The ending seemed a bit abrupt, but other than that, a decent read.
Susinok
Quasi historical in a medieval-ish setting. Good story.
Jean
Very sweet and sexy.
  • Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)
  • Angel's Evolution
  • The Hired Man
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • An Agreement Among Gentlemen
  • Out of the Blue
  • House of Simeon (Gladiators #1)
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)
  • The Squire
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • The King's Tale
  • Secrets
  • In Bear Country
  • Acquainted with the Night
  • The Prince Who Never Smiled
  • An Uncommon Whore (An Uncommon Whore #1)
  • Wicked Game
(1)gay romance

I’m from New Orleans, that’s N’awlins for those of you who speak the language. I grew up in the Riverbend, or Carrollton, for the old timers, but was a Quarter rat from the age of 11, taking 3 buses to go to art class on Burgundy Street at the Cabrini Doll Museum and NORD center. I attended Univers
More about Lynn Lorenz...

In the Company of Men (5 books)
  • Jackson’s Pride
  • Baymore's Heir
  • Silent Lodge
  • His Duke's Gift (In The Company Of Men, #5)
Edward Unconditionally (Common Powers, #3) Bayou Dreams (Rougaroux Social Club, #1) Soul Bonds (Common Powers, #1) Rush in the Dark (Common Powers, #2) Bayou's End (Rougaroux Social Club, #2)