Start by marking “Grow It: How to Grow Afro-Textured Hair to Maximum Lengths in the Shortest Time” as Want to Read:
Grow It: How to Grow Afro-Textured Hair to Maximum Lengths in the Shortest Time

Grow It: How to Grow Afro-Textured Hair to Maximum Lengths in the Shortest Time

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Grow It walks you through a simple six step process to help you understand which actions contribute to gaining healthy length and which actions do not. Who says afro-textured hair can't grow long? The more you know the more you grow!
Published December 1st 2008 by ChicoroGYA

To ask other readers questions about Grow It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grow It

A_nyrican
I got some good pointers from this book. The recipe to make a quick and easy daily moisturizer was the best piece of advice. I no longer suffer from dry hair.
Rhonda McKnight
I learned alot about afro-textured hair and will absolutely consider those learnings in how I care for my hair going forward.
Rissa
While I think this book is a great jumping off point for someone who has recently gone natural, (as far as rudimentary information and different techniques to try) I feel as if this book was mostly just Chicoro describing techniques that worked for her own hair.

Nothing she talked about was backed up by any kind of source, nor did she attempt to cite any scientific basis for any of the information she presented.

Frankly, the book is good for beginners, but for a more seasoned, well-informed natura
Trudy Susan
The book was a great overview. It didn't deep dive into some of the topics so at times I had lingering questions, but I understand her point was to give an introduction and overview.

Favorite Quotes:
"Tiny adjustments one at a time can do wonders for your hair"
"No one can tell you what products work best for your hair . To be truly successful you must find it on your own."

Key Learnings:
Get cosmetic dictionary to help read ingredients
Diluting shampoo helps reduce hair friction
Hair absorbs treatmen
Melinda
I found this book informative because I liked the tips about detangling and conditioning. Very detailed and a great reference book especially if you are willing to put the time, energy and effort into the health of your hair. I'm not sure that I believe that these techniques will make my hair longer, but I could see how it would make it healthier.

Book Noir (Erica)
Brenda Porter

This book was a good start since I just recently went natural. However, there were a lot of things mentioned in the book that I wish were explained in more detail. To fill in those gaps, I did my own research while reading the book.
Alcqueline
At this time in my life, I am unimpressed with this book. However, if I had the opportunity to have read this a year ago, I may have delayed starting my locs.

Danielle
This book was very informative and had great tips for growing long hair.
Balinda
Very informative.
Mary Duel
Mary Duel marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Kayla Hales
Kayla Hales marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Glamazini
Glamazini marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Ashley Anderson
Ashley Anderson marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Cynthia Maua
Cynthia Maua marked it as to-read
Fran
Fran marked it as to-read
Mirriam Treasure
Mirriam Treasure marked it as to-read
  • The Science of Black Hair: A Comprehensive Guide to Textured Hair Care
  • 501 Decorating Ideas Under $100
  • Eye Candy: 50 Easy Makeup Looks for Glam Lids and Luscious Lashes
  • Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Step-by-Step Techniques
  • Curly Girl
  • The Science Book: Everything You Need to Know About the World and How It Works
  • Working Fire: The Making of a Fireman
  • Curly Like Me: How to Grow Your Hair Healthy, Long, and Strong
  • Art History For Dummies
  • BetterPhoto Basics: The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Taking Photos Like a Pro
  • Coffee is Good for You: From Vitamin C and Organic Foods to Low-Carb and Detox Diets, the Truth about Di et and Nutrition Claims
  • 100 Simple Things You Can Do to Prevent Alzheimer's and Age-Related Memory Loss
  • Must Win: A Season of Survival for a Town and Its Team
  • Japanese the Manga Way: An Illustrated Guide to Grammar and Structure
  • Volunteer Vacations: Short-Term Adventures That Will Benefit You and Others
  • Fashion Illustration: Inspiration and Technique
  • Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook
  • Spanish for Dummies
Hair Products 101: A 4-Step Process to Empower You to Select the Best Products for Your Hair