Start by marking “Grow It: How to Grow Afro-Textured Hair to Maximum Lengths in the Shortest Time” as Want to Read:
Grow It: How to Grow Afro-Textured Hair to Maximum Lengths in the Shortest Time

Grow It: How to Grow Afro-Textured Hair to Maximum Lengths in the Shortest Time

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Grow It walks you through a simple six step process to help you understand which actions contribute to gaining healthy length and which actions do not. Who says afro-textured hair can't grow long? The more you know the more you grow!
Published December 1st 2008 by ChicoroGYA

To ask other readers questions about Grow It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grow It

A_nyrican
Aug 02, 2011 A_nyrican rated it really liked it
I got some good pointers from this book. The recipe to make a quick and easy daily moisturizer was the best piece of advice. I no longer suffer from dry hair.
Rhonda McKnight
Aug 14, 2011 Rhonda McKnight rated it really liked it
I learned alot about afro-textured hair and will absolutely consider those learnings in how I care for my hair going forward.
Rissa
Sep 03, 2012 Rissa rated it it was ok
Shelves: natural-hair
While I think this book is a great jumping off point for someone who has recently gone natural, (as far as rudimentary information and different techniques to try) I feel as if this book was mostly just Chicoro describing techniques that worked for her own hair.

Nothing she talked about was backed up by any kind of source, nor did she attempt to cite any scientific basis for any of the information she presented.

Frankly, the book is good for beginners, but for a more seasoned, well-informed natura
Trudy Susan
Nov 26, 2011 Trudy Susan rated it really liked it
The book was a great overview. It didn't deep dive into some of the topics so at times I had lingering questions, but I understand her point was to give an introduction and overview.

Favorite Quotes:
"Tiny adjustments one at a time can do wonders for your hair"
"No one can tell you what products work best for your hair . To be truly successful you must find it on your own."

Key Learnings:
Get cosmetic dictionary to help read ingredients
Diluting shampoo helps reduce hair friction
Hair absorbs treatmen
Pelikay
Aug 09, 2015 Pelikay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Basic knowledge

This book is great for natural chicks who have no knowledge about how to take care of their coils. It was an easy read with a lot of repetition. This would be a great book for teenage girls to read since many or should I say most know so little about natural coils.
misha
Aug 03, 2015 misha rated it it was amazing
this book is a must read for anyone who is starting a natural hair journey. This book is an easy read (I read in half a day), but the nuggets in this book will be something you find yourself referring to often.
LadyS
Jan 20, 2016 LadyS rated it really liked it
Encouraging and informative
Melinda
Apr 20, 2014 Melinda rated it liked it
I found this book informative because I liked the tips about detangling and conditioning. Very detailed and a great reference book especially if you are willing to put the time, energy and effort into the health of your hair. I'm not sure that I believe that these techniques will make my hair longer, but I could see how it would make it healthier.

Book Noir (Erica)
Brenda Porter
Aug 20, 2012 Brenda Porter rated it liked it

This book was a good start since I just recently went natural. However, there were a lot of things mentioned in the book that I wish were explained in more detail. To fill in those gaps, I did my own research while reading the book.
Alcqueline
Apr 29, 2012 Alcqueline rated it it was ok
At this time in my life, I am unimpressed with this book. However, if I had the opportunity to have read this a year ago, I may have delayed starting my locs.

Danielle
Mar 22, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it
This book was very informative and had great tips for growing long hair.
Balinda
Very informative.
Jackie
Sep 20, 2013 Jackie rated it really liked it
good tips
Adrieana
Adrieana marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Nascha
Nascha is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2016
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Brandy Battee
Brandy Battee marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Readingisfundamental
Readingisfundamental rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Brandy Taylor
Brandy Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Kim Walker
Kim Walker marked it as to-read
Vespertine
Vespertine marked it as to-read
Fatoumata Magassa
Fatoumata Magassa rated it really liked it
Awara
Awara marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Tyangye
Tyangye marked it as to-read
Erin Lusaka
Erin Lusaka marked it as to-read
Sami Wadiyo
Sami Wadiyo marked it as to-read
Tijuana
Tijuana marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
  • Curly Like Me: How to Grow Your Hair Healthy, Long, and Strong
  • Vintage Hairstyling: Retro Styles with Step-by-Step Techniques
  • Live It, Love It, Earn It: A Woman's Guide to Financial Freedom
  • The Untold War: Inside the Hearts, Minds, and Souls of Our Soldiers
  • When the World Calls: THE INSIDE STORY OF THE PEACE CORPS AND ITS FIRST FIFTY YEARS
  • Curly Girl
  • The Science Book: Everything You Need to Know About the World and How It Works
  • Secrets of a Working Dog: Unleash Your Potential and Create Success
  • Coffee is Good for You: From Vitamin C and Organic Foods to Low-Carb and Detox Diets, the Truth about Di et and Nutrition Claims
  • Sitting Kills, Moving Heals: How Everyday Movement Will Prevent Pain, Illness, and Early Death--and Exercise Alone Won't
  • Volunteer Vacations: Short-Term Adventures That Will Benefit You and Others