3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Thomas has inherited a magical box from his dead grandmother. This box provides entry into a mysterious garden. When he sees a ghostly vision of his grandmother, she tells him to find the person responsible for her death, and save her garden.
Published May 5th 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 2009)

The Replacement by Brenna YovanoffUnwind by Neal ShustermanAnna Dressed in Blood by Kendare BlakeKrampus by BromThe Devouring by Simon Holt
Scary Book Covers
34th out of 218 books — 46 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Penultimate Peril by Lemony SnicketThe Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket
must read teen books
132nd out of 160 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Erika
Sally
Oct 10, 2009 Sally marked it as to-read
The cover on this book made me buy it alone!!
Bobbie  Crawford-McCoy
Jun 23, 2009 Bobbie Crawford-McCoy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone - 12 years of age and up!
Written By: Sarah Singleton
Published By: Simon and Schuster UK, 2009, 284 pages, paperback
ISBN 978-1847382979

The Poison Garden had me captivated from page one; with vivid scenery and flowing prose, this YA novel creates a world that is 1 part historical and 1 part fantastical. This story has a rather dark undertone throughout; it certainly isn’t a feel-good read, but it isn’t meant to be either. With curiosity, a thirst for adventure and at his Grandmother’s behest, Thomas becom...more
chucklesthescot
Thomas has always been curious about the strange life his grandmother leads and after she dies, he is surprised to be singled out in her will. A man who knew her has come to help teach him the secrets of the magical garden and its deadly plants so he can learn to continue her work. But someone or something else is after Thomas, wanting to steal those secrets from him.

This book was ok. The character of young Thomas is nicely written and it's not too 'young' which can be a problem with some YA boo...more
Jazmin Jade
My opinion of this book is not great. Within the first couple of pages I was getting annoyed with the style of writing and found myself drifting off while reading and thinking about other things, and it took me far longer to read because I kept putting it down and trying to find something else to distract myself so I didn’t have to keep reading. But, I hate to leave a book unfinished and I committed to trying to post a review each day, so I pushed myself through it.

The contents of the book is de...more
Melissa
This book was entirely not what I expected. When Thomas' grandmother dies and bequeaths him a box he doesn't quite know what to make of it. A secret garden his grandmother cultivated exists inside the box. 6 other gardens exist but someone is killing the owners off one by one.

I really enjoyed the concept of this book. Secret gardens only you control and shape with your thoughts? Yes please. I could have read about the gardens alone for 300 pages but instead there is a who done it that jumps thr...more
Zarina
I started reading The Poison Garden with very little expectations and already on the first page I was vastly impressed by it. The novel is written wonderfully with elaborate and vivid descriptions of plants and layouts of the various gardens central in the book, drawing the reader into the orchards and flower beds until you almost think you can smell the flowering blossoms.

Most surprising however was that the story rapidly turned into an Agatha Christie whodunit with elements of a fantasy novel...more
★ Jess
I really wish we could award half stars on this website, because this charming book was better then 3 (to me that means enjoyable) and not as good as a 4 (loved it!). This short mystery novel lingers somewhere in the middle.
I have to say: I read this straight after finishing the entire "Harry Potter Series", so this book would always be on the back foot. Also, at the age of (almost) 15, I am probably a few years old for this. Regardless, it was still an great read.

I will write a proper review...more
Minty-chan~
I really was fascinated by this book. i have never come across a book like this. its so romantic- the thought of having your own magical garden! i loved the names the most, i wrote them all down in my special book at home. as im so in love with athurian legends, i loved the garden called albion as well as broceliande... I know, i'm a hard-core magic and mythology lover. reading books with lots of magical creatures sends shivers of excitement up my spine - literally.
I'm forever indebtd to merlin...more
Varsha Seshan
The story ought to have been something that thrilled me, but it did not and I have no idea why. Was it too long? Too descriptive?
No, all of that was necessary to create the atmosphere.
Was the book too dark for me? Was it too detailed to retain my interest? There's such a fine, intangible line that marks the balance between creating atmosphere and retaining attention with action. For me, The Poison Garden did not achieve that.
Sosah ^^
It's one of the first books I read in English. It's a good book actually. The beginning of it wasn't that much of attention-grabber. I started to like it from the middle to the end. I liked that the idea was clear yet dark at the same time. The description of the gardens' scenery was beyond beautiful especially the ghost scene. What I didn't like was the boy's age. I remember he was between 10-12. I felt wrong falling for the kid. Anyway, the book in general was good.
Teresa
I didnt enjoy this book at all. I had high expectations when i began reading this book as i had seen some good reviews on Goodreads but a few chapters into the book i was far from impressed.The authors style of writing is quite impressive and some of her descriptions were exquisite but the whole story was definetly not one i was interested in, I would recommend this book to readers who yearn for adventure and mystery but im afraid im not one of those readers :)!
Paige
i have to admit that i didn't stick with this book to the end; i just got bored of its predictablility and only made it three quarters of the way through before i gave up, realising that i had better books to read.
it's one of those potter-along books that potter along before ending. it's like wlking along the top of the white cliffs of dover, you're all happy, then you suddenly walk off the cliff - the end.
Katie Newill
I have to admit I was intrigued by the cover at first! The story was very mystical and I did really like it, I felt that the genre of the story could have some confusion as the story is rather alternative but I loved it :)
Kell
I enjoyed this one, but not as much as I thought it would. It got a little garbled in the middle with all the garden stuff, but straightened itself out again pretty quickly. Singleton has a wonderful way with words and the situations she describes almost leap off the page, so I’ll definitely be reading more of her work.
The Styling Librarian
The Poison Garden did have a few good twists and a big surprise at the end that made it worth completing, but honestly dragged on a little for me with the transitions between different portions of the story for me. LOVE the cover image and initial plot though!
Ellen
Honestly, it took until about 50 pages before the end before I had any clue what was going on, even now I'm not so sure what read.

This book is pretty good, and certainly didn't deserve to be lumped in with the box of teenage Dark Romance novels it came with.
Husna T.
There was a lot of times when I just felt so darned confused, but the idea of the gardens all connected into one was definitely creative and well-thought about. For creativity, brilliant. Flow of story and keeping the reader interested, not so much.
Celia Lynch
Ok third attempt to get into this book. Third time lucky? No was a complete waste of time and effort. I should have just given up. It is not like me to give up but was totally not reading.
Sky Fitzgerald
honestly couldnt get in to it, the whole concept of the gardens seemed a bit confusing. Also the villian was only introduced over half way through the book.
Selene
I'm stopping now. I know there isn't far to go, but I'm just not interested!!! I don't really care about the characters or their story :(
Kate Cann
Excellent. Singleton hovers spookily between Gothic and philosophy. The image of the funeral violinist will haunt my dreams!
Michele
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.” ― Dr. Seuss
Kathy
I thought that this book was great! It was a bit young, but it still had me hypnotized.
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Alesha
Alesha marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Cristen Motty
Cristen Motty marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Synful Enriquez
Synful Enriquez marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
  • Zero Degrees of Empathy: A New Theory of Human Cruelty
  • The Serial Killers
  • One Perfect Day
  • Creekers
Sarah Singleton was born in Thornbury in 1966. She was educated at the University of Nottingham and has travelled in Europe, India and Nepal. She has two daughters, Fuchsia and Poppy.

She worked as a reporter for local weekly newspapers, including the Wiltshire Gazette & Herald, before becoming a writer and freelance journalist in 2007. A novella, In The Mirror (Enigmatic Novellas #4), was repr...more
More about Sarah Singleton...
Century Heretic Dark Storm The Amethyst Child Sacrifice. Sarah Singleton