Are You Blue Dog's Friend?

Are You Blue Dog's Friend?

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Beautifully designed, and featuring a reflective mirror page at the end that brings young readers into the story, this is a one-of-a-kind glimpse at the world of Blue Dog and the appealing imagination of George Rodrigue.

A companion to the popular Why Is Blue Dog Blue?, this latest picture book celebrates friendship in all its shapes and sizes. Through a series of call-and-...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Are You Blue Dog's Friend?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You Blue Dog's Friend?

Anna Richland
I had a tough time choosing between 2 and 3 for this book. I finally decided that I should rate it as if I knew nothing about George Rodrigue or his art, and found it on a children's bookshelf ... so that meant a 2 because a lot of the (stunning) pictures lack any explanation or context. There was no bio of George Rodrigue in the book, and no explanation of the art beyond this sentence above the copyright information:
All of the artwork featured in this book is oil or acrylic paint on canvas by
Robert Beveridge
George Rodrigue, Are You Blue Dog's Friend? (Abrams, 2009)

Cute, if gimmicky, pre-lit read-along attached to (according to the product description on Amazon) “international pop icon” Blue Dog's seemingly ubiquitous branding. And, really, it's kind of tough to go wrong with Blue Dog when it comes to the kiddies (unless said kiddie has a dog phobia); Rodrigue's text is a little on the simplistic side compared to authors like Sandra Boynton, for example, but the pictures are striking. My little guy...more
Shannon Kitchen
This book is a bit on the strange side. It's a picture book about a painter and his favorite subject, Blue Dog. The neat thing is that it takes place in New Iberia, LA near my sister-in-law's hometown. It also features Elvis and dogs. This book is PERFECT for my brother- and sister-in-law. NOTE TO SELF: buy for Adeline!
Becky
A picture book with very modern, bright, "arty" oil & acrylic paintings illustrating it. I don't care for crazy movement in font, but the paintings are kinda cool and different for a picture book. Includes a reflective page as a surprise ending.
Lbpondside
got this out of the library for my 5 year old grandson
we loved reading it together
George Rodrigue really brings you to New Iberia Lousiana and the heart of cajun country.
Looking forward to reading more of Blue Dog with Max.
Danie P.
A fantastic book to use for storytimes centered around art and artists. Written and illustrated by the artist George Rodrigue this book is a mishmash of paintings, words and interesting paper choices.
Jessica
33 books/2010

Yes,this is a childrens' book. But, I fell in love with Rodrigue's gallery while in New Orleans and the local Borders had this... signed. It's a good way to own art without paying thousands.
Christine Turner
A great storyt about friendship. Introduces children to Cajun artist, George Rodrigue
Lauren Jones
Lauren Jones marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Rob
Rob added it
Nov 13, 2013
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Grace Ciesla
Grace Ciesla marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Why is Blue Dog Blue?: A Tale of Colors Blue Dog Blue Dog Speaks Blue Dog Love A Blue Dog Christmas