Start by marking “Cooking for Two: More Than 200 Foolproof Recipes for Weeknights and Special Occasions” as Want to Read:

Cooking for Two: More Than 200 Foolproof Recipes for Weeknights and Special Occasions (Cooking for Two)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Dinner for 2-perfected Cooking for two doesn't have to mean simple pasta dishes or tired leftovers. It can be scaled down lasagnas and even desserts (birthday cake for two, anyone?).

In this first title in a new series from America's Test Kitchen, we leave no cooking-for-two technique unturned. Tired of having a big container of stock going to waste in your fridge? We solve
Hardcover, 2009 Edition, 352 pages
Published May 1st 2009 by America's Test Kitchen (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cooking for Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking for Two

Steven Peterson
This book is focused on an interesting concept: A lot of recipes are for 4 or more people. What about those two person households? One cannot always just halve ingredients to produce a 2 person rather than a 4 person recipe. This book hopes to address that issue. With my son likely to leave in the near future (he'll graduate from college soon), creating his own life path, it will be basically 2 person dishes for me to prepare in the future, so this book has some value for me.

And, in my view, it
Kim
Honestly, I'm not overly impressed. There's the occasional something special, but I felt like half the recipes were so easy or basic that they were laughable, and the other half were very complicated. A bit disappointed by this one.
C

I love the Test Kitchen folks, and I found a few ideas in here that were mentally filed for future reference, but overall, it wasn't one that worked for me. I just didn't really feel the need to trim down what I'm cooking to two portions. I'm of the variety of folks who like to cook a cassarole and eat it all week. Boring, I know...

The good news... in some cases here, I recall a series of recipes...make the roast chicken for tuesday, then a chicken dish from the roast chicken for wednesday, etc
Robyn
I often have trouble scaling down recipes when I don't want to have left overs - this book has perfectly portioned recipes for two people and they are amazingly easy to make yet totally delicious I like that America's Test Kitchen puts a lot of effort into determining the exact best way to make something and then gives you reasons for everything that they've chosen to do (and tell you what didn't work). I've made two recipes from this and my husband is still asking for more!
Nora
Jul 16, 2012 Nora rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Everything I've tried out of here is 5 star delicious especially because it showcased excellent technique. The Test Kitchen crew can be a bit meticulous and exacting, but believe me it is well worth it. I bought this cookbook and I would love to buy the other years as well.
Amy
My favorites of the Cooking for Two books. Most recipes are a very hearty two servings. With care it should be possible to get three servings.
Angela Parks
I like the America Test Kitchen cookbooks. Definitely would recommend. This one is great because it is recipes cut down to size!
Laura Chang
I would like to use this book more often, but it needs more pictures.
Liz
Enjoyable, would recommend for those living by themselves.
Michael Strong
Michael Strong marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Roxanne
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Rhi Esper
Rhi Esper marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Patience
Patience marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Karen
Karen added it
Dec 06, 2014
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Cooking for Two (4 books)
  • Cooking For Two: 2010
  • Cooking for Two 2011: The Year's Best Recipes Cut Down to Size
  • Cooking for Two 2012 (America's Test Kitchen)
The America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook Slow Cooker Revolution: One Test Kitchen, 30 Slow Cookers, 200 Amazing Recipes The Best Make-Ahead Recipe The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook: A New, Healthier Way to Cook Everything from America's Most Trusted Test Kitchen