Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Erotic Romance (Complete Idiot's Guide to)” as Want to Read:

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Erotic Romance (The Complete Idiot's Guides)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The basic rules for turning basic instincts into blockbuster success.

Erotic romance reigns supreme as a big category of women's fictiona billion dollar business serviced by a new breed of uninhibited writer. This book is the necessary how-to for first timers and a terrific guide for seasoned professionals as well, who are putting their racyand lucrativefantasies to pap
Kindle Edition
Published (first published September 5th 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Writing Erotic Romance

Georg
I began to read this book because the title promised fun. And it was funny, but the more I read the more I grew suspicious she could mean what she writes until in the end I recognized she really did. That was still funny and maybe even funnier than a deliberately written persiflage. But the best collection of jokes gets boring when all the jokes have the same punch-line. And even if you are a hard-boiled cynic you will worry that some of her readers (and wannbe-writers!) will take her seriously ...more
J. Rosemary Moss
There's good stuff in here. I took the time to read it from cover to cover, and found plenty of advice to put into practice (even if some of it was repetitive). However, I wish Alison Kent hadn't focused exclusively on M/F relationships. Gay and lesbian romances scored an off-hand mention in her book, but little else. Ditto for poly. These may be niche markets, but I thought they deserved more than a passing nod.
Cornelia
This book covers the craft of writing a romance, erotica or not, in detail in an easy to understand style. I recommend this for anyone aspiring to write romance novels or write in the romance genre. You'll learn about plots, conflict, love scenes, characters and much more. Anyone who wants to write romances needs to learn all they can about the above aspects of the craft of writing and much more.
Zoey DuBois
I really enjoyed this guide, and definitely found it useful.

I picked it up just as I was starting to go through my final 'spit & polish' draft, and it helped me catch a few little niggles that I might otherwise have overlooked.

I've seen a fair few reviews where people complain that a lot of the info here is common sense, or obvious; and if you read around the genre a lot that's probably true - but presumably that's why it's 'The Complete Idiot's Guide' and not 'The Lifelong Expert's Guide'
Winter Bayne
Feb 27, 2014 Winter Bayne added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: brand new writers maybe
Shelves: on-writing, 2014
What I did not like about the book:
It does mostly telling. It has few examples. It lists off what is expected of novel writing in general and romantic novels specifically.

I would have preferred in text examples were used to show me what the author was discussing. Instead if any examples were mentioned they are in the author's other books. Don't assume readers know exactly what is being referenced.

What I liked about the book:
It delves into the addition of sex and romance in the story structure.
Caleigh Cohen
Het-centric and a bit dated. Some usful info about publishing.
Maddie
Apr 16, 2013 Maddie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: inexperienced writers
Shelves: writing-guides
There were one or two good tidbits here and there, and I'm sure the list of resources at the back in the Appendices will be useful, but overall this book was simply a VERY basic overview of everything in the genre- it didn't go in depth about any one thing, and really didn't give any useful tips that anyone other than people who haven't written anything before could use. Three stars because obviously a lot of work went into it, and it did have a couple good points, but it just wasn't enough.
Shannon Mayer
I could never get past the first 30 pages or so, I think mostly because the author was working through the basics of writing as much as anything and I've read a lot of books on that. I will keep the book and use it for a reference though for those times that I write a love scene. There are good tidbits, it's just not a book for those who have already done some research and have already gone beyond step 1 of honing their craft.
Michelle Tempted By Books
I learned so much from this book. It really helped me to understand the definitions and standards expected by various publishers. The end of the book has a great list of publishers and other helpful tools for the newest authors. I think the most important lessons I learned from this book were, research and just write already. I recommend this book to anyone who is a little fearful but has a story that they just need to get out.
Kathrynn
Excellent book! Not at all what I thought it would be, either. This book is full of writing tips and advice that have nothing to do with writing erotic romance. I was pleasantly surprised at the broad scope of material tucked between the covers. :-)

Also, excellent tips on writing a steamy love scene. :-)
Ava
Feb 05, 2008 Ava rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any author
This book was gold-dust to me. A wonderfully informative book on the how-tos in writing sexy romance. It covers everything from euphenisms to characterization. Highly recommended!
Indah Threez Lestari
70th - 2012

Menarik, dan membuatku jadi membuka-buka koleksi novel roman lagi, hanya untuk membanding-bandingkan dengan teorinya.
Jennifer Grosse
Interesting, but I know most of this stuff
Traci Edens
Traci Edens marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Jennifer Worrell
Jennifer Worrell is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Azeila Rose
Azeila Rose marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Natasha
Natasha marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Tatiana Maldonado
Tatiana Maldonado marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Kathi
Kathi marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
becki holcom
becki holcom marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2015
Tracey Champion
Tracey Champion is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2015
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Isobel Starling
Isobel Starling marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Denise
Denise is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
  • Writing a Romance Novel for Dummies
  • The Tao of Writing: Imagine. Create. Flow
  • Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • A Writer's Book of Days: A Spirited Companion and Lively Muse for the Writing Life
  • Be a Sex-Writing Strumpet
  • Starting Your Career as a Freelance Writer
  • Get a Freelance Life: mediabistro.com's Insider Guide to Freelance Writing
  • Characters, Emotion & Viewpoint: Techniques and Exercises for Crafting Dynamic Characters and Effective Viewpoints
  • Being Black: Zen and the Art of Living with Fearlessness and Grace
  • The Marshall Plan for Novel Writing
  • Cohesive Story Building
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
I often read of or hear about authors who knew they were meant to tell stories from the time they left the crib. Me? I didn't decide what I wanted to be when I grew up until I was thirty years old - and then sold my first book at thirty-four. Still, it was obvious that I always knew I was going places.

Like so many other authors, I was a voracious reader from day one, devouring everything from Nanc
More about Alison Kent...

The Complete Idiot's Guides (1 - 10 of 207 books)
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to 2012
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American History
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to American Literature
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ancient Greece
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Assertiveness
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Astronomy (Complete Idiot's Guide to)
The Second Chance Cafe (Hope Springs, #1) Undeniable (The Dalton Gang, #1) The Bane Affair (Smithson Group SG-5, #1) Beneath the Patchwork Moon (Hope Springs, #2) Bliss and the Art of Forever (Hope Springs, #4)