Start by marking “Allergies (Preters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Allergies (Preters, #1)

Allergies (Preters #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  1,023 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
What’s a shapeshifter to do when the man he desperately wants is allergic to him?

Raymond Marvels never imagines his call to the IT department at his graphics design job would result in his meeting Lou Canis, the most gorgeous man he’s ever seen. There’s one small problem, though—Ray is allergic to Lou. Yet his allergy is only one of the weird things going on between them.
Published April 2009 by Amber Quill Press

To ask other readers questions about Allergies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allergies

JenMcJ
Apr 11, 2009 JenMcJ rated it really liked it
Ray and Lou are interesting characters who have an instant attraction as soon as they meet at work. Unfortunately, the attraction also comes with a sneezing attack for Ray. It doesn't take long to figure out that Ray is allergic to Lou. While Ray thinks it is a reaction to laundry detergent or the like, Lou knows that it could be to the secret part of him, his wolf side. Lou is a Lycan. Now how to break that to the new boyfriend?

The book is the story of how Ray and Lou fall in love, including f
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
The first time i read it i gave it five stars...

Second time more like four stars so average them and it is 4.5 stars...

Way too much sex. I like the characters and what plot there is but the sex kept drawing me out of the story. even skimming the sex scenes there was so much. I am guesstimating here but i think over 50% of the book was probably sex or them talking about the sex they planed to have as soon as they found an empty truck bed or a somewhat deserted parking lot
Brenda (b)
Mar 05, 2016 Brenda (b) rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, zz2-read-2009, 1-epub
This is another of T.A. Chase's blog stories that was published after appearing there. I loved this story. It set up a world containing lycan. There are also other paranormal creatures (vampire, demon & incubus) mentioned that I'm hoping will appear later in the series. I found the characters very interesting and I want to know much more about the Canis family. The ending definitely left the door open for more stories and the next one is Nick of Time .
Heather C
I liked this story but it had too much sex and absolutely zero sexual tension. Plus, it was insta-love which is always a turn off for me. It was cute but somewhere near the end the story lost me and I was just ready for it to end.
M'rella
I do not believe in instant love, where it takes only 4 days from the very first sight, through non-stop sex in places appropriate or not, revelation of a huge mind-blowing secret like yeah-werewolves-are-real (I wish I had your nerves, Ray) to the declaration of one's undying love for ever and ever and ever.

I also have a feeling I have already read this book five or six time, if not more, only written by different authors.
One star.

Страстная любовь-морковь с первого, есессно, взгляда, умопомра
Silkeeeeee
Well, the story wasn't exactly new. The allergy was just a small annoyance in the story and didn't add much to it. The two MCs were likable. The ending was rushed and abrupt. What saved the story? There wash lot of decent sex scenes. Other than that it was fairly run of the mill.
Elisa Rolle
Allergies is the classical shapeshifter story that got me hooked to the genre years ago. It's light and funny and plays with the stereotype of werewolves legends turning them in a joke between the partners.

Ray is a computer geek. We haven't a real physical description of him other than being six feet tall, that it would be a considerable height if not that his soon to be partner is six feet and half, giving to Ray an aurea of fragility that arises the protective feeling of Lou (short for Lupine)
Kris
Apr 10, 2010 Kris rated it liked it
The Tasting:

Why I bought it:

It’s T A Chase. Auto buy.

Dislike/like (ending on a high note):

Dislike~ This is going to seem really weird (and no smart arse remarks from the peanut gallery)... I followed this story as a serial on the author’s website. Reading this now as a book was great; however, because I'd basically read it before it had none of the ‘omph’ that a T A Chase story would usually have on me. Obviously this will not affect everyone, but it was my main dislike. Interesting, huh. Has an
Lily
This is a cute, maybe a bit too cute, shifter story. Ray Marvels meets Lou Canis when he calls the IT department about his broken computer. The men are instantly attracted to each other when they meet and soon things are getting hot and heavy between them.

Unfortunately as they spend time together it becomes apparent that Ray may be allergic to Lou. Constant sneezing and the need to take allergy medication are further complicated when Lou shares his secret with Ray, he's a Lycan.

Aside from the al
Cat
Hm, its hard to review shifter titles because I'm so weak against the genre itself (i can put up with alot of weird stuff in shifter stories). If you're a fan of shifter titles then there's nothing really original about this title but its still worth reading because it just leaves you with a happy feeling.

There were a few things that didn't make any sense really and seemed completely pointless like the whole allergy concept and you had to deal with the typical "multiple gay men in the family" p
Toni (U.A.C.)
Raymond Marvels has computer problems, calls the IT department. Lou Canis comes in to fix it. Sparks fly, and they quickly find themselves on their way to a HEA, only one small problem Lou has to figure out a way to tell Ray he's a wolf and Ray is apparently allergic to him, not as a wolf, but his human form.

I loved this book so much more than I did Nick of Time and I'm not sure why...other than the blaringly obvious sin I made by reading them out of order. But absolutely loved reading Ray and L
Ami
May 25, 2010 Ami rated it liked it
I think it's my first experience with T.A. Chase's ... and it's pretty cute. I mean, having a lover who is allergic to your human side rather than your wolf side? *grin*. I can't help to smile imagining the situation. Plus the whole Canis clan is intriguing (and their names are downright funny!). The only complain is toward the ending ... T.A. Chase seems to introduce a danger towards the clan, that I feel sort of like out of the blue and not really resolved. Hope to get to know more ab
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.5*
This story had an interesting idea, I loved that Ray was allergic to Lou, but only his human side, he had no allergies to his wolf! I sort of wished that part of it had been more developed and brought out, the allergy causing trouble for them to be together, but that didn't really happen.
The siblings were interesting and the names- holy cow- that mother really does have a very wierd sense of humor.
The ending left quite a few things open and unresolved, not in the love story, that's all HEA..
Gwengwel
It's a het. romance that just happen to have two gay guy in it. Not my kind of story.

Lou’s hand was buried in Ray’s hair at the nape of his neck. His other arm encircled Ray’s waist, bringing the smaller man even closer. Lou nibbled on Ray’s bottom lip and trust his tongue in as Ray gasped.

Please.
It's cliche, cheezy, not interesting, Lou's the perfect virgin bride and add to that that Ray do not seems to have moral problem to invade Lou's dream...

I love this writer normally, but that one, no.
My Dichotomy Life
I can't remember the last shifter book I enjoyed so much.

This us slightly different from the usual shifter/human m/m genre and those differences enrich the story.

I hope that there's another book in this series waiting for me!

The secondary characters we've already been introduced to are looking interesting, particularly Bandit, Spike and Rover.
Lily
I feel for the Title, i thought it would be really funny, well i was wrong..sigh..

description
Meggie
Oct 26, 2011 Meggie rated it liked it
Shelves: shape-shifters
I liked the story, but I have to admit, that by re-reading this book, I got a slight impression of to much sex in it. But the overall picture was really good. I love both Ray and Lou, they were perfect together. I will definitely read other books in this series.
Alyosha
A cute, smutty and quick to read shifter story with a funny twist about an adorable graphic designer and a wolfy IT guy. 3.5 stars
Jimmy Hanson
Nov 30, 2011 Jimmy Hanson rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, 2010, m-m, 2011, shifter
One of my absolute favorite novels ... Ray's predicament in being allergic to his boyfriend [Lou:] is priceless, and the way T.A. Chase wove the reasoning together was unique. Because Ray's not JUST allergic to Lou, period - he's allergic only to Lou's adult form, not his wolf.

I have to admit though, that alone and by itself would have led to an 'ok' novel. What pushed this over the top in my favorites list was Lou's family, their names, their personalities, and the clash of danger that's hinte
Tina
Jul 03, 2014 Tina rated it it was amazing
Redz World: Allergies by author T.A.Chase http://redzworld.blogspot.com/2014/07...

Allergies by author T.A. Chase starts out with us meeting the adorably cute Raymond. He is cute in that geeky way that makes you go awe…I know I sure did. He really has a project he needs done but his darn computer doesn’t want to work. Enter in Lou… Lou is the IT guy but hunkier than any other IT guy you have ever met. Raymond would love to get to know Lou and vice versa but Raymond has these sneezing fits around
Candice
3.5 Stars

While I thought this was cute I thought that there would be more of an "allergic reaction" to Lou other than a few sneezes. Once he found out about the allergy I was hoping for more of a human/wolf thing. I know I can't be the only one where I find the human connecting with the wolf sweet. I love the petting, scratching, cuddling, etc. I thought there would be more of that..at least when they were alone.

One thing I didn't really care for was Bandit's voyeuristic tendencies. Let them be!
Alex
Aug 14, 2010 Alex rated it liked it
Overall:
I'd like to give this 2.5 stars, but there isn't an option. Enjoyable and fun, but not particularly deep, it's one of those stories that takes place over...ohh..3 days (4 tops), so a certain amount of suspension of disbelief must occur. The book is what it is.

What I liked
Well-done sex scenes. There were a fair number of them, which doesn't necessarily make it close to my heart, but they were well done and they never seem intrusive to the story.

What didn't work
The end. I'm still waiting f
Paul
Mar 04, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, paranormal
This is an easy read from T.A. Chase

From their first meeting Ray is instantly attracted to Lou and vice versa. Whe ray gets flustered or embarrased he just says whatever is on his mind. Its kind of endearing.

Ray realises early on that there are a lot of Dog references coming from Lou, a why does ray keep sneezing, surely he cant be allergic to the one man that he's falling head over heals for.

being introduced to Lou's family is about to turn rays world upside down as he realizes that there is mo
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Notes:

Already lol funny.

Entering his dreams is a little rapey. Having sex with him in the dream is a lot rapey.

WAY too much sex.

A female alpha and the alpha heir is also female!

He said 6/7 was the usual litter side but it appears that two is the standard.

Saying thank you isn't because someone did something they didn't feel obligated to do. It lets the person know they are appreciated. I always thank my family.

A leather couch would be the best for canine children. What would woven cloth do u
David John
May 24, 2014 David John rated it liked it
hhhhmmmmmmm, I liked the book, but come on, way too much sex for a couple of guys who have just met each other.....
Seemed that they had only just met each other and fell in love straight away. it felt as though they moved too fast, don't get me wrong, I believe in love at first sight but love at first sight, sex after sex after sex without even a date before hand? I'm not old fashioned but a drink or at least a bite to eat before you jump into the back of some guys van seemed a little more roman
Felicia (Ferishia)
Ayanna
Jan 12, 2014 Ayanna rated it liked it
Why does he glow? Why do transformations cause glowing? Why is energy being wasted in the form of useless, unnecessary light? Is that way transformations suck so much energy, because they cause inexplicable glowing during transformation? Isn't that stupid? Isn't that really not a great evolutionary feature, glowing?

Lou definitely got the better deal. I mean, Lupine compared to Rover? Bandit is maybe okay, except not really because it's so clearly a pet name. And Patches...

Basically, the entire t
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Zarifina Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ★
What can I say about "Allergies"? All in all it is a decent book. Not the greatest, but decent. In my opinion the book lacks a sense of flow during intense moments. For instance, when Ray sees Lou shift in front of him, and when Ray and Lou's mother talk for the first time. Each moment feels contrived, as if the author has not yet figured out how to execute anger from his mind to pen and paper. However, the author does nail intimacy very well. This is the first time I have read a book by this ...more
Ana
Feb 25, 2014 Ana rated it liked it
Wende
Feb 17, 2016 Wende rated it liked it
Shelves: shapeshifter, m-m, bingo

I am not fond of instant love even in books about shifters and their mates. I like instant lust but then who doesn't? This book was about Lou and Raymond. I had a feeling it was written with a formula mapped out on what a shifter book needs. Meet, lust, instant love, crazy family, hunters, and other assorted paranormal members added to keep it interesting. The added bonus that Raymond is allergic to Lou. It is not a great book but it is interesting.
  • From Pack to Pride (Supernatural Mates #1)
  • Relentless (Southwestern Shifters #2)
  • Cursed (Cursed #1)
  • Bloodlines (KinKaid Wolf Pack, #1)
  • My Lupine Lover
  • An Unnatural Worth
  • Altered Heart (Mated Heart and Soul, #1)
  • Bite (Bite, #1)
  • Marrick's Promise (Thrown to the Lions #2)
  • Touch of a Wolf
  • Out There in the Night (Out There, #1)
  • Bound By Nature (Forces of Nature, #1)
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • Nature of the Beast (Outside the City #1)
  • With Caution (With or Without, #2)
  • Tomcat Jones (Tomcat Jones, #1)
  • Luke's Surprise (Shifters' Haven #1)
  • Shattered Secrets (In the Shadow of the Wolf #1)
There is beauty in every kind of love, so why not live a life without boundaries? Experiencing everything the world offers fascinates me and writing about the things that make each of us unique is how I share those insights. I live in the Midwest with a wonderful partner of thirteen years. When not writing, I’m watching movies, reading and living life to the fullest.
More about T.A. Chase...

Preters (4 books)
  • Nick of Time (Preters, #2)
  • Love's Baggage (Preters, #3)
  • Trailing Air (Preters, #4)