Start by marking “Hook” as Want to Read:
Hook

Hook

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  53 reviews
A young eagle learns to soar in Caldecott-winner Ed Young's newest work.

With beautiful, sweeping artwork and spare, lyrical text, Ed Young tells the story of a boy who finds an egg and gives it to a flock of chickens. When the egg hatches not a chick but an eaglet, the hens, the roosters, and the boy all band together to help the young bird fly. In this lovely story about
Published April 27th 2009 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Hook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hook

14 Cows for America by Carmen Agra DeedyThe Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownMoonshot by Brian FlocaRed Sings from Treetops by Joyce Sidman
2010 Caldecott Hopefuls
11th out of 60 books — 154 voters
Wabi Sabi by Mark ReibsteinSeven Blind Mice by Ed YoungLon Po Po by Ed YoungMonkey King by Ed YoungMy Mei Mei by Ed Young
Best of Ed Young
28th out of 79 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Anna
Hook/ Ed Young/ 2009
Genre: fiction
Format: picture book
Plot Summary:A chick hatched by hens turns out to be an eaglet who must get help from a boy in learning how to fly.
Considerations: no red flags
Review Citation: School Library Journal, vol 55, issue 6, p102
Selection Source: Ed Young bibliography
Recommended age: 6-9
Linda
Nearly a wordless picture book, the story of a found egg, the caring of a mother hen who adopts the eaglet that emerges and a young boy is so lovely I turned the pages slowly, then started over more than once. The story entertains by giving voice to the mother, who says to her new one, “You are not meant for earth,” and showing the boy helping the eaglet try to fly again and again. I’ll leave the ending for you to see and celebrate when you read the book. The charcoal drawings are simply and bea ...more
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I was really disappointed in this title. First, I feel as if I've already read the story before in Fly eagle Fly written by Christopher Gregorowski and illustrated by Niki Daly. I also see what Ed Young was going for, but the lack of a lyrical text means that the pictures must take more of the weight but while small parts and pieces are beautiful, the overall pictures are just not that appealing. My biggest complaint is that the facing pages have the same continuous background but are usually se ...more
Amanda Fack
Caldecott Medalist Ed Young, author of Lon Po Po (Philomel, 1989) brings us the story of an abandoned egg found by a young boy. The boy presents the egg to a hen who assumes guardianship. The resulting dark, hook-beaked hatchling looks nothing like the other chicks. The hen names the chick Hook, and after observing the powerful claws and mannerisms of the chick, informs the fledgling it is “not meant for earth.” Following this, the hen and the young boy help the chick achieve its biological dest ...more
earthy
An eaglet is raised by a hen who enlists the help of a young boy to teach Hook how to fly. Minimal text is accompanied by orange- and brown-tinted chalk sketches awash with the textures of feathers, earth, clouds, hair, and clothing. The art isn't pretty, exactly, but it does a good job of conveying the warm, hopeful tone of the story. I almost wish this book were entirely without text, since what text there is doesn't really add anything to the story. However, Hook is delightfully awkward and a ...more
Kyle Turck
Hook is the story of an adopted eagle who happens to grow up with a family of chickens, only to realize that he was meant to fly. The story is quite simple and not overly unique, but the illustrations in this book are simply breathtaking and they really make the story worth looking into. The simplistic text in the story is also very refreshing in a way, since it allows the pictures to tell the story just as much as the words.

I would recommend this to very early elementary, kindergarten primarily
Paul
The illustrations outrun the storyline of HOOK, showcasing Young's visual expressiveness with paint and maybe conte crayon on a warm brown paper. His leverage of the full space of each spread (including use of the the edge of the page and letting the negative space also speak), and his selection of intense blue and red, and supplemented with black and browns creates a striking telling. The transition from egg to eagle along a human trajectory also makes for effectively allowing the reader to fee ...more
Stacy
This is a simple book yet the pictures and the simplicity make it great.
Adriana Simmons
Simple. Pure. Inspiring.
Beautiful illustrations.
Peacegal
An orphaned eaglet learns to fly with the help of an unusual family.
Toby
Blues and browns evoke the southwest desert where this ugly duckling-like story is set. Unlike the ugly duckling though, this family of fowl support the eagle who has hatched in their midst who keeps trying until he succeeds in majestically flying away. It doesn't bother me that eagles don't next in the southwest desert or that chickens & eagles are natural enemies. This is a lovely, spare story of growth, illustrated on textured colored ?homemade paper that suggests Navajo sand paintings. A ...more
Samantha
Very simple text pairs with pastel illustrations to tell the story of an abandoned egg that is cared for by a hen and grows up to be a bold eagle, resident of the sky.

I really liked how the text left spaces for the reader to fill with careful study of the illustrations, though it makes for a difficult title to read aloud. I like the exercise it encourages readers to get into in which they glean as much information from the illustrations as from the text that make up the story. PreK-2.
Alicia
Beautiful illustrations (cray-pas? I don't even know what those are called in reality, and I don't know how to spell the word I just wrote.)

Benjamin Franklin would have a fit, though: a Native American boy finds a lone egg and brings it home to hatch with the chickens. A bald eagle grows up wishing he could take to the sky, where he belongs. Majestic flight ensues, with the poor hens left scratching. What a noble bird! Humbug.
Lindsey
A young Native American boy finds an egg and gives it to a hen to care for. The egg hatches with a chick with a hook beak and the differences only get more pronounced as the "chick" continues to grow. Sparse text with absolutely gorgeous illustrations make this a perfect read aloud for beginning level ELLs and it is nice that it is about the bald eagle (a piece of Americana for new immigrants).
Ramarie
Spare in in text, with mere phrases per page, this picture book shares the story of an orphan egg, adopted by a hen, that hatches into something "not meant for earth." The hatchling is named Hook and with help from a Native American boy and the hen and her chicks, Hook finds his true home. The beautiful illustrations are done partly in chalk, against a speckled coffee-colored background.
Mjstroup
The thing I liked the most about this book was the message of determination and knowing who you are. It subtly hints at the idea of everyone having their own identity that the potential to be who they were created to be. I thought the illustrations in the book gave a lot of personality to the animals and certain sequences of pictures gave a lot of motion and moved the story along very nicely.
Amelia
I haven't yet rated all the hundreds of children's books I"ve read, but I had to add this one I recently discovered. I loved the short simple inspiring story of an eagle raised by chickens who helped it discover what it could really do- fly high in the sky. Mikaela was inspired to figure out what she does best. This is one I would like to own.
Michiko
With a few poignant words and breathtaking illustrations, Ed Young wraps us in a story of compassion and perseverance. An orphaned egg is rescued by a boy and hatched by a mother hen. What is inside is "not meant for the earth." A story of honoring difference and fulfilling potential, this book could be used with students of all ages.
Natalie
The Ugly Duckling meets Hawk, I'm Your Brother with sparse esoteric text and chalk illustrations.
Sam Bloom
I love Ed Young, and I really liked this book a lot. It's an Ugly Duckling story that centers around a bald eagle chick being raised in a family of chickens. The illustrations are superb. I made the mistake of using it in my story time yesterday... sadly, it didn't fly (pun intended). Still, another great book from Young.
Angie
Love the idea of this story more than the actual execution.

The art is beautiful (he is a Caldecott Medal winner).

There just doesn't seem to be quite ... enough for a great story. Not enough illustration (backgrounds are quite sparse) or enough text (less than 10 words on most of the pages).
Alicia Scully
The book has simple language that is easy to read but not all the sentences are complete sentences, so much so that it's very noticeable as it's read. I doesn't necessarily feel like a strong book for helping children develop language, though the pictures are beautiful and the story is interesting.
Lindsey
This book is about an eagle who hatched with chickens. The chickens knew he did not belong. The encouraged him to fly and helped him along the way until one day he soared into the sky on his own. This is a very motivational book. It teaches kids that you may fail a few times, but you should keep on trying.
Amy Adams
What a beautiful book! The illustrations (chalk, I think) are warm and inviting. The words are few, but the story is full. I think kids would be attracted to this one because it's kind of a different take on The Ugly Duckling, but this story is filled with much more hope, and I like the ending even better.
Karissa
This is the story of an chick who is found and raised by chickens. The chick turns out to be an eagle and his chicken family help him figure out where he belongs. The text is sparse, but wonderfully written. I would also use this book to introduce a different type of illustration (chalk?).
Courtney
Although this is a Caldecott winner and provoked the reader's imagination, this book just wasn't for me. I really didn't enjoy how the text was choppy and I was disappointed after I read it. I was also expecting a different reaction since it's a medal winner.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This is the story that you hear in Sunday School all the time about the eagle that was raised by chickens. The chickens tell the eagle that he is not meant to live on the ground...and try to teach him to fly. Brilliant pictures. Great story. Loved it.
Rebecca
Aug 18, 2009 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool and up
Ed Young, is there any art medium you can't use flawlessly? The latest from this super-talented illustrator is a nearly-wordless story of a bald eagle raised by chickens. Needless to say, this hatchling grows beyond the barnyard. Lovely and simple.
Erica - Bonner Springs Library
A beautifully illustrated book about an abandoned egg that hatches into an eaglet. They call the strange chick "Hook". The adoptive mother hen and a young boy help Hook learn to fly until finally after many failed attempts Hook soars.
Erica
  • Willoughby & the Lion
  • Hello Baby!
  • Harry & Hopper
  • All the Way to America: The Story of a Big Italian Family and a Little Shovel
Ed Young is the illustrator of more than eighty books for children, seventeen of which he has also written. Among his books is the Caldecott Medal winner Lon Po Po, which he both wrote and illustrated. He says that his work is inspired by the philosophy of Chinese painting. He lives in Westchester County, New York.
More about Ed Young...
Lon Po Po: A Red-Riding Hood Story from China Seven Blind Mice The House Baba Built: An Artist's Childhood in China Beyond the Great Mountains: A Visual Poem about China My Mei Mei