Start by marking “Rainbow Road (Rainbow, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rainbow Road (Rainbow, #3)

Rainbow Road (Rainbow Trilogy #3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  3,267 ratings  ·  138 reviews
Jason Carrillo came out to his basketball team senior year and lost his university scholarship. Now, with graduation behind him and summer ending, he's asked to speak at the opening of a gay and lesbian high school across the country. But after spending years in the closet and losing his scholarship dream, what message can he offer?

Kyle Meeks is getting ready to go to Pr

Hardcover, 1st Edition, 256 pages
Published October 1st 2005 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rainbow Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rainbow Road

Opposites do attract. But similars stay together.

Idk why I stopped reading this trilogy in Summer but I'm really happy and proud that I stuck with it right through the very end.

Well first of all this is one of the best books from the trilogy!! I love how so many things had happened and not just one or two and it did just focus on Jason this time, thank God.

* this is a fast read just like the other books in the trilogy so why not give it a shot?

* i definitely fell in love with every
kornel Sanchez
I've learned a lot from this book. Mainly that There musn't exist hatred toward GLBT people.They surely have feelings that Must be respected.They go through an eternal Hell to be more unsulted. we are not sick, that's just how we are born. I'm Bisexual. And so I do know the pain of such circumstances, the bullying, the names.(in my scenario hadn't been in those stages) But i've heard others talk about "US" with such disgust, and hate, with humiliation. And just like Jason, most of the time i sai ...more
What a wonderful way to end this trilogy! Alex Sanchez created three complex and interesting young gay men (Jason, Kyle, & Nelson) in his first novel "Rainbow Boys." Over the first two novels, the boys confronted serious issues about coming out in high school to parents, coaches, and teammates; creating a Gay-Straight Alliance; dealing with HIV; making a relationship work; and figuring out how to navigate the world as a gay teenager. All of these were issues not normally dealt with in young ...more
Ryan Loveless
Jamie Fessenden
Sanchez ends the “Rainbow” –realistic fiction- trilogy with Rainbow Road. The story comes full circle. Jason Garrillo, Kyle Meeks and Nelson Glassman – the main characters- have graduated from high school entering a summer, in Virginia, full of tedious responsibilities until Jason is asked to speak at a non-traditional high school graduation ceremony in Los Angeles, California. Since Jason came out about his sexuality, his full scholarship to an Ivy League school had been taken away. Kyle, Jason ...more
Menglong Youk
I felt delighted and depressed at the same time after I finished the last book of the series. Feeling delighted because the series is very encouraging and gives me a lot of unexpected ideas to use whenever I have to support and defend my gay friends and my godbrother; feeling sad because in the last 5 days, this series has been my friend and kept me active. I feel like I were also in the book witnessing the whole story in order to tell the world that every human live is worth living and it shoul ...more
This is a story about 3 homosexual friends who have just graduated college. This story is told in 3 perspectives, kyle, nelson, and jason. Jason and kyle are boyfriends but Jason lost his basketball scholarship and has been invite to speak at a gay and lesbien high school that has just opened. He tells kyle about it and kyle is very happy to join his boyfriend, inviting nelson along who ahs not found his love yet and worries about being the third wheel.

This was a more intresting story about the
The book was about a road trip that Kyle, Nelson and Jason go on, hints at the title Rainbow Road. They decided that they would go on a road trip after the fact that Jason was invited to go talk to an LGBT school that was opening in California. Some of the issues that the boys ran into was on the way to California there was a girl that came on to Jason and kissed him. She knew that Jason was with Kyle and yet still kissed him. They had a lot of adventures like the Cascade Mountains. I mean there ...more
The last book of the “Rainbow Boys” series opens up a lot of relationship issues people face—issues that are not entirely exclusive to homosexual relationships.

Sanchez effectively shows that for a relationship to work, the people involved in it must be secure about their relationship with themselves first. Knowing who you really are and what you really want is vital to sustaining a relationship with another person.

And just like what one of the couples said to the lead characters, there is no one
This was a nice ending to the trilogy. A bit abrupt and sudden for my liking, with a little wariness about where it left off, particularly for Nelson and then wondering about what's ahead with college and such for Jason and Kyle which I did think would be touched upon at least by the end of the book. I guess it's an ending that leaves the imagination to run wild. A few sappy and/or cringe-y moments in it for me but it didn't take away much from the whole book.

I enjoyed seeing the highs and lows
When I read the first two chapters, I knew I was getting an adventure. It was great to meet new characters once again and see how the boys survived their road trip.

It was a big change of environment and I enjoyed seeing them in a different light and not in just the usual high school drama where they had to put up with the student body. Nelson really shined in this one. The Jason-Nelson bonding was great, and Kyle needed this experience. You can tell how grown they've become since the first book
Dustin Spencer
This is the best book in the series because a lot of the cheese that was in the series, specifically the second one, was nearly gone and we got see these three characters deal with problems that real couples and real friends can face. We see a lot of growth with these characters and we get a great story line that makes me want to go on a road trip, just without the camping.
I loved this trilogy. I thought it was well-written, well thought out and the characters are people you can empathize with.
Amanda Meuwissen
Just finished this last night. Which is shameful, because I read Rainbow Boys back in the early 2000s, and Rainbow High almost right after. For some reason I never found the time for the final book, but I am so glad I finally did. It's written very simply and to the point, which I think is important in Young Adult, and this subject matter is SO IMPORTANT for Young Adult. The first two books had a profound affect on me as a teenager and played an important role not only in how I see my own sexual ...more
I really enjoyed this last book in the series. These books are wonderful coming-of-age novels for all teenagers. A must read, up front, and honest trio of books for any teenager who is curious or questioning their sexuality.
Alice Rachel
So, I loved this entire series. I guess the only issue I had with this book is how Nelson crushes on everyone, including his best friend... I guess that's supposed to show how lost he is, but I don't think that because he's gay is a good reason why he would be crushing on his best friend (that's a stereotype and a very bad one at that) and THEN how he crushed on the boyfriend of his best friend... Really?
However, I have loved Jason from page one of book one and I still love him throughout this
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
I started Rainbow Road yesterday and like its predecessor Rainbow High I had trouble stopping At 1:30 a.m. I finally had to close the book to get some sleep as I had to be up in the morning. I finished it tonight and again it is another excellent read from Alex Sanchez.

Jason’s coming out to his team raised the awareness of the local media in Rainbow High, now the news has spread and he has been invited to speak at the opening of Harry Hay School in Los Angeles. The boys manage to convince the sc
Will Lutes
The final chapter in this series was well done. Overall, I wanted to find out how the rainbow crew (as I have come to call them) made out after their high school graduation.

[Spoiler Alert]
It's nice that Nelson FINALLY finds someone and he has the courage to do something bold, from his heart, that actually might be really good for him. That he was able to find that and finally separate his symbiotic relationship (relying on Kyle as his Jimeny Cricket) was an added bonus.

That Mr. Sanchez turned
Laura Hughes
Possibly the best of the Rainbow books, largely because the conceit of the road trip allows the three main characters to think about things other than how they are gay (although that's a central theme, since Jason is going to speak at an LGBT high school, and the triad meets various queer friends along the way). The interpersonal dynamics play out well in the heightened reality, close-quarters situation of the trip; their relationships seem grounded in reality and are entertaining in some slight ...more
IF this was book three of a series, I would have been much happier. As the final book of a trilogy, I was less enthused. However, it is tough to be hard of Alex Sanchez because there are not enough of these stories out there for gay youth. As many of the other reviews on this page, point out, there are many young gay men out there that have been touched by or identified with this series.

I like the overall story. I particularly liked the how the relationship between Kyle and Jason evolved over t
Matthew Little
The rainbow finale; two books ago we met Kyle, Jason, and Nelson who each go through their own personal struggles involving their sexuality's, weather it was being gay, bi, or questioning, each ones struggles were tough but it didn't break them. Now in the third novel, the trio set out on a road trip which is accompanied by meeting some interesting characters (one of whom dresses like Britney Spears and gets Nelson to do the same), camp out, argue, and even at one point defend their sexuality on ...more
Rainbow road is about 3 gay boys, named Jason, Kyle, and Nelson. Together they struggle with their sexuality and what their peers think about them. Jason was the star of the basketball team, and had a girlfriend. Together they were the "it" couple. Until Jason discovers that he's gay, and attracted to boys. Throughout the book, he struggles with telling his parents, friends, and the rest of the team being afraid of what others will think of him.
This book reminded me of how harsh a student body c

I frickin love Kyle! Though be warned, he acts like a major beach in this book. And he wondered why everyone in book 2 called him that lol! I want to see so bad what happens at Princeton, but maybe someone can write a fanfiction #4? I also now want to do a road trip. Perfect timing since I graduate in May :)

Jason and Nelson's friendship improve which is really cool since they bicker way to much. Would have liked more details on the "making love" parts haha!
Aug 02, 2015 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I love how real this is. The trilogy presents real issues that teens face, gay or straight.

The characters are probably some of my favourites of all time. I love the character development, and I really enjoyed seeing them grow. The three boys are as opposite as can be, but yet so similar. It just works. I can't choose a favourite between the three; I love all of them!

Kyle and Jason's relationship is wonderful. I like that they were friends first, because it's something that I don't often see. I a
2.5 stars.
As much as I love Alex Sanchez and the trio, I couldn't help feeling this book wasn't a satisfying ending to the series.
I liked really seeing the conflict pick up in Kyle and Jason's relationship and how they dealt with it. Some of the scenes, like Nelson talking to the little kid at the campground brought a joyous feeling inside me.
On the other hand,I found random events were thrown in with the sole purpose of keeping the plot moving, such as Nelson getting sick. I loved Nelson's bo
The Rainbow Trilogy is simply an accurate account of being a Gay teen in the Noughties. Three young, Gay males deal with the common issues of coming out and surviving: Nelson, flamboyant and out since grade school; Kyle his best friend, shy, smart and out only to Nelson as the series begins; and Jason a closeted, hot jock whose forced to become a "role model" as he becomes Kyle's boyfriend. The three friends are real, flawed and help each other deal with their particular issues.

Reading these as
Definitely the most mature and wide reading of the Rainbow books, I found it odd how it was the least steamy. It's a good thing. There is one issue that none of the books truly addressed that I had hoped would come up but didn't and that's the promiscuity that Nelson seems to endorse though hardly acts on. Although it may endear him to some readers, I fear it promotes the idea of casual sex.

The characters start true to their form at the beginning of the book but it's gratifying to see how they i
The conclusion of this coming-of-age trilogy about three gay boys that began with Rainbow Boys and continued in Rainbow High sees Nelson, Kyle and Jason embark on a road trip across the continent - with plenty of various kinds of dramas that put their friend-/relationships to the test. I have to admit the teenage drama was occasionally a bit over the top - because really, how much important-/relevant-issue-related drama can three people experience on a two week trip? Nevertheless, it was a fun r ...more
  • The Order of the Poison Oak (Russel Middlebrook, #2)
  • The Mariposa Club
  • Outfield Menace (Gay Youth Chronicles #1)
  • A Really Nice Prom Mess
  • David Inside Out
  • Out of the Pocket
  • He's The One
  • The Year They Burned the Books
  • Desert Sons (Desert Sons #1)
Alex Sanchez is the author of the Rainbow Boys trilogy of teen novels, along with The God Box, Getting It, and the Lambda Award-winning middle-grade novel So Hard to Say. His novel, Bait, won the 2009 Florida Book Award Gold Medal for YA fiction. Alex received his master’s degree in guidance and counseling from Old Dominion University and for many years worked as a youth and family counselor. His ...more
More about Alex Sanchez...

Rainbow Trilogy (3 books)
  • Rainbow Boys (Rainbow Trilogy, #1)
  • Rainbow High (Rainbow Trilogy, #2)